Chapter 06

From rock bottom, the only way is up

What the hell just happened?

 

I nervously sat in the meeting room, impatiently waiting for Wonsik and Jin to appear. It looked like the two of them had been arguing. Is there a problem with the project? Have I done something wrong? Crap. I better try and talk to Jin about it after the meeting.

 

The two of them finally appeared, Wonsik storming into the room and practically throwing himself into a chair, his face set into a firm scowl. It was obvious that he was beyond pissed. The thought of asking him what was wrong briefly flashed through my mind before I pushed it away. If I ask him what’s wrong, he’ll take it the wrong way and use it as an excuse to talk about getting back together again.

 

Jin appeared a minute later, his face unreadable. I was desperate to ask him what had happened between him and Wonsik, but this was not the time or place. I half-heartedly gave my presentation about the progress of the project and I barely listened to what the others were saying until Jin spoke up.

 

“What about field research?” he said, cutting off Jackson mid-speech. “We have the previous advertising from Star.” I said as I pulled out the files. “Previous advertising is all well and good, but it’s a good idea to see what our competitors are up to. There's no point in us coming up with a fantastic project only to find that someone else already has something similar. Someone should go around and visit different jewellery stores and size up the competition.”

 

I nodded, seeing the logic to his words. “I can go.” Jackson offered. “I’ve got a lot of experience in field work.” He said proudly. Jin nodded, “I know you do, you’ve never let me down yet. But that’s why I want Nari to go.” Jin said, surprising everyone at the table, myself included. “What?” I asked. “Jackson would be the best choice. You just said yourself that he’s never let you down when it comes to field work.” I said, trying to work out what Jin was thinking.

 

Not an easy task.

 

“And like I said, that’s exactly why he shouldn’t go this time; he’s already great at it.” Jin said, a small, shocked smile appeared on Jackson’s face from the sudden compliment. I could tell he was suppressing the urge to immediately call Mina and tell her. “But you’ve never participated in any field work since you started here, so it’s an area which requires improvement. Think of this as a training exercise.” He said, his warm brown eyes meeting mine. “I’ll personally oversee your training.” He said.

 

I heard the sound of paper crumpling and saw Wonsik's notes scrunched up into a ball in his fist. What’s got him so worked up? I nodded in Jin’s direction. “Thank you. I’ll do my best.” I said, flashing him a smile. He gave me the briefest of smiles before signalling to Jackson to continue his presentation.

 

I don’t know where the sudden idea to go on field work came from, but after my encounter with Wonsik this morning, I think some time out of the office is exactly what I need.

 

 

 

 

A few hours later, Jin and I were wandering around one of the biggest shopping centres in the city, going in and out of every jewellery store we saw. Jin asked me a million questions and pointed out a million different things for me to take a note of. I’d never realized just how difficult field work was until today. The little notebook that I had brought with me was practically full of bits and pieces of insight, tips and info from Jin.

 

Whilst we were walking around, it was impossible not to notice just how many people stared at Jin. I mean, it’s not like I don’t know that he’s good looking, I’m not blind. But within the office, I don’t know if we’re all just used to seeing him, so no one stares as much, but these poor people just innocently out shopping and seeing someone like Jin walking by… I swear at least three girls and one guy whispered the word ‘angel’ as he walked by them.  I could tell that he heard each compliment, as every time someone said something about how handsome he is, the tiniest smirk would appear on his face.

 

I can’t imagine not only being that confident, but having the looks to back it up. I mean I’m not saying I'm ugly or anything, if anything I’m quite proud of my appearance, but I just don’t have that natural confidence that Jin has which transfers over onto how people perceive him. A person’s looks are accentuated tenfold if they hold that natural air of confidence which just cannot be taught. Jin knows that he is attractive, and he owns it without being an about it. It’s a thing which I think is harder for women to do. Most women are taught to be humble and self-depreciating, instead of confident, in particular about skills or appearance.

 

“Do you want to sit down for a while?” I slowly blinked myself out of my musings as Jin spoke to me. “Do I wanna what?” I asked, embarrassed for spacing out. “I said, do you want to sit down for a while? Your ankle must be hurting.” He said, a note of concern slipping into his voice. I nodded, thankfully for the offer to have a rest.

 

He gently rested his large, warm hand on my lower back as he led me towards the large fountain in the middle of the shipping centre. “Here, have a seat here and I’ll go get us a couple of drinks.” He said before flashing me a breath-taking smile and disappearing in the direction of a little coffee shop. I smiled after him, a quiet laugh making its way out of my mouth when a girl stopped dead, her jaw literally dropping as Jin walked by her.

 

I patiently waited for Jin to return, enjoying the chance to be out of the office, knowing that I wouldn’t run into Wonsik here. I felt a little bad about avoiding him so much. We have such a long history together that I feel kinda bad for cutting him out my life so harshly, but he deserved it. I just wish I could cut off my feelings as easily.

 

Jin finally returned with our drinks and I thanked him. We sat in silence for a while, watching the people pass by us, all wrapped up in their own lives. Each of them with their own stories. I was once again lost in my own thoughts before Jin broke the silence between us.

 

“So, this morning… what was going on between you and that Wonsik guy?” he asked. I could tell that he was trying to be casual about it, but there was something hidden in the tone of his voice and the way he refused to meet my eye. A tiny, overconfident part of my brain screamed that it was jealousy, but the rational part of my brain concluded that he was just a boss concerned about his employee. “Nothing. He's just someone that I used to know.” I said, my coffee cup suddenly becoming the most interesting thing in the world.

 

I could feel Jin's gaze on me, but I couldn’t make myself return it. It feels like he knows I’m lying, but thankfully he didn’t press me to say anymore. “Okay, if he gives you anymore hassle, just tell me and I’ll sort it out for you.” He said. “I’m sorry that it happened at work.” I replied, feeling guilty about what had happened.

 

Jin shook his head. “Don’t worry about it. You didn’t do anything wrong.” He said flashing me a smile which I couldn’t help returning. Who would have thought that my big, scary boss was actually so easy to talk to? “So, I think there’s another store on the third floor.” I said, finally breaking eye contact. Jin cleared his throat and nodded. “Yeah, it’s the last one here.” He said as he stood up and offered me his hand. “Your ankle must be hurting. Let’s do this last one then call it a day.” I nodded and took his offered hand, ignoring the butterflies that suddenly started going crazy in my stomach.

 

We took the elevator up to the third floor, Jin never letting go of my hand for a second. We entered the store, all of the employees greeting us warmly. I discreetly looked at the styles the store was currently promoting and how they were doing it. I focused on all of the details Jin had told me to look out for.

 

We went up to one of the display cases which was full of bracelets. The girl behind the counter smiled brightly at us. “Are you looking to buy something for your pretty girlfriend today, sir?” she asked, looking between Jin and I. Without missing a beat, Jin smiled back at her. “Only if she sees something she likes.” He said, casually throwing a wink in my direction. I chuckled at him as he started pointing out a couple of the bracelets. “How about that one?” he suggested. I nodded and the girl carefully brought out the bracelet for us to examine.

 

“May I?” Jin asked as he held his hand out for the bracelet. The girl handed it to him and he carefully examined the piece of jewellery. “Give me your wrist.” He said as he gently took my hand and made me hold it up as he secured the delicate bracelet around my wrist. He smiled at me as he clipped it on, turning my hand around to let me examine it. The silver looked so delicate and pretty against my skin. “Do you like it?” he asked. I nodded, “Yeah, but it’s so expensive.” I said as I noticed the hefty price tag. This bracelet is almost half my entire monthly wage. Who has the money to spend on things like this?

 

“We’ll take it.” The girl behind the counter beamed at Jin's words while I could only do my best attempt at imitating a fish out of water. “She can just wear it out of the store, right?” Jin asked as he pulled out his credit card. “Jin, what are you doing?” I finally asked when words decided to no longer fail me. He flashed a grin at me before handing over his card. “Consider it a congratulatory gift.” He said.

 

“A gift? For what?” I asked, completely thrown by his sudden gesture, panic settling in my chest as the amount of zeros on the price tag flashed up on the till screen in front of me. “For landing the Star contract. I never got to properly congratulate you.” He said with a nonchalant shrug of his shoulder as he accepted his card back. “But you gave me the Star contract!” I protested. He shook his head. “It wasn’t just me. I may be the manager of our team, but I don’t get to call all of the shots. I put your name forward, but it still had to get approved from the higher ups. Star is one of our biggest contracts after all.” He said as he accepted the bag containing the box for the bracelet and took my hand, leading me out of the shop.

 

“But even still… this bracelet is way too expensive!” I protested. Jin flashed me his charming smile again. “Don’t worry about that. I could tell that you liked it the second you laid eyes on it, and I was looking for an excuse to treat you to congratulate you.” He said offhandedly as if he had just bought me an inexpensive bracelet from one of the shops I normally bought my jewellery from and not something that could feed me for at least a couple of weeks.

 

“But…”

 

“Just accept it. Unless it really makes you feel uncomfortable.” He said, a hint of disappointment in his voice. “I don’t want to force you to wear it.” He said. I shook my head. “It’s not that. I truly do appreciate that you want to congratulate me on getting to lead this contract, it’s just that this is so expensive!” I said, hoping that I hadn’t hurt his feelings.

 

“Well, if that’s all the problem is, how about you treat me to dinner to make up for it? I was going to treat you, but judging on your expression right now, I think you'd have a fit.” He said with a surprisingly high pitched laugh which only made me laugh alongside him. “Okay, deal.” I said, a smile on my face.

 

Jin smiled back at me. “Great. Then let’s go eat, I know a great place.” He said as he took my hand again and led me towards a restaurant.