Chapter 03

From rock bottom, the only way is up

The week after Wonsik turned up at my work has been a complete nightmare. He’s been following me around like love sick puppy. I don’t know why he thinks this is going to make me take him back, if anything it’s having the complete opposite effect and I don’t know how he can’t see that.

 

When Jin had said that a representative from Star would be working with us, I hadn’t realised that he meant that they would be working out of our office. Thankfully Jackson picked up on the strange atmosphere between us, although he doesn’t know the reason why, and he was quick to jump to my defence anytime Wonsik cornered me. He's like my very own, energetic guardian angel.

 

Thankfully I've managed to keep myself really busy this week. Being in charge of a project has turned out to be a lot more work than I had realised. Jin has given me a million and one things to do since the meeting a week ago. Thanks to that though, I've managed to stay out of Wonsik's way at least a little.

 

 

 

 

 

Jin

 

I don’t know why that Wonsik guy talking with Nari bothers me so much. I knew I was glaring through the glass wall of my office but I couldn’t stop myself. He's supposed to be working, not eyeing up one of my employees. I felt my hands curl into fists as Wonsik looked at her for the third time in less than a minute. Technically, he's not doing anything wrong, so I can’t ask him to leave the office… and punching him is probably out of the question.

 

I glanced down at the files in front of me. Nari needs these for the progress meeting tomorrow. I could photocopy them myself, but I need an excuse to get her out of Wonsik's eyeline. I picked up my phone and dialled Nari’s extension. “I need you.” I said before hanging up.

 

 

 

 

 

Nari

 

I have never been so thankful for Jin to call me into his office before. I went up to his door and knocked, even though he knew it was me. He was busy typing on his computer as I entered his spacious office. “These are the files you’ll need for the progress meeting tomorrow.” he said, handing me the file of papers. “Make sure you get enough copies for everyone.” He said. “Okay, I will.” I said, surprised that he had bothered to print them out at all when he could have just emailed them to me.

 

“How are you getting on with that representative from Star?” he asked out of the blue as he stopped typing. “Is he causing any problems?” he asked, his face expressionless as he looked at me. But despite his lack of expression… I might just be imagining it, but it sounded as if he was almost… hopeful? I shook my head and plastered a smile on my face. “Nope. No problems.” I didn’t want to get Wonsik chased out. It would feel like I was too weak to face him if I did that. I want to know that I’ve moved on enough that I can deal with his presence in the office.

 

Jin frowned at my answer, as if he was disappointed with what I said. “Okay, you can go.” He said, his focus already back on his computer. I bowed slightly before leaving his office and heading to the print room to make copies of the files he had given me.

 

I had been in the room for less than a minute when someone appeared behind me. I turned around, half expecting to see Wonsik but instead Jackson sauntered into the room, casually sitting on one of the low tables. “Mr stalker looked ready to come follow you so I launched a pre-emptive strike.” He said, giving me a grin. I gave him a grateful smile. “Thanks Jackson. I owe you big time.” I said as I hit the print button before sitting beside my best friend.

 

“So what’s the deal between you two?” he asked. “And don’t say ‘nothing’.” He said, already knowing what I was going to say. I laughed, deciding that I didn’t need to tell Jackson everything, but I had to tell him something. “We used to date but we broke up about six months ago.” I said, leaving out the fact that we had dated for ten years and we had been due to get married. “Ah, so he's still pining after you? Figures. He’d be crazy to let you go.” I laughed. “Jackson, if Mina heard you saying that she’d get jealous.” I said as I nudged him with my elbow.

 

“Mina knows that I only think of you like a big sister.” He said with a dreamy smile. I chuckled. Jackson and Mina were like the perfect couple. Jackson was loud and energetic, where Mina was calm and sensible. The two of them were the perfect match. He brought her out of her comfort zone and she brought him back down to earth when he had one of his crazier ideas. Mina knew that she had nothing to worry about from other women. Jackson was one of the most devoted boyfriends I have ever seen.

 

If only all guys were like that.

 

Jackson’s loud ringtone broke the silence that had settled over us. He answered the call, mina’s pretty voice sounding through the phone. He gave me an apologetic smile and I waved him off with a chuckle. I didn’t want to hear their mushy conversation. I slipped off of the table and went over to the printer, taking out the files that were already finished.

 

I was glancing over them when I heard the print room door close. I turned around, coming face to face with Wonsik. “Nari…” he pleaded. “What do you want?” I asked, my voice hard. “I just want to talk to you, please?” he asked. “What could you possibly have to say to me that you haven’t said already?” I asked, careful to keep my voice down in case anyone passed by and overheard us. Wonsik ran his hand through his hair, a frustrated noise making its way out of his mouth.

 

“Look, I know I've said this a million times, but I’m sorry! It was a onetime thing! I don’t even know what I was thinking!” he said as he took a step closer to me. I didn’t move, but every one of my muscles tightened up, my fight or flight response kicking in at his proximity. “What I did… it was the biggest mistake of my life. I don’t know if it was just stress with work and the wedding or whatever, but I have never regretted something so much in my entire life.” He said, his eyes begging me to believe me. “These last six months without you have been torture. I’ve been going crazy without you.”

 

I snorted at his confession. “Wonsik, I don’t care if it was a onetime thing or not. Do you have any idea how I felt when I walked into that office and found you two like that? I felt like my heart… no my entire life had just been ripped up and chucked into a blender. Do you have any idea how much it hurt to look at you afterwards, knowing that her hands and mouth had been all over you?” I said, my voice rising slightly as I poured out all of my feelings.

 

“Do you know what it was like when I went through all of my belongings and practically everything I owned reminded me of you? Every piece of clothing reminded me of you in some way. My favourite red and black checked shirt? You got me it for my birthday. My favourite perfume? You gave it to me at Christmas. My favourite skirt? I was wearing that when you proposed to me. There wasn’t a single part of my life that wasn’t saturated by you. I had to throw out everything because everything reminded me of you and I hated it.” I spat as tears began to well up in my eyes.

 

Wonsik's eyes turned watery as he reached out for me but this time I stepped back. “Do not touch me.” I warned him. “Do not touch me.” I repeated as I dabbed at my eyes, begging my mascara to be as waterproof as it claimed. I grabbed the rest of the files and turned back to Wonsik. “We’re over Wonsik, and it’s about time you accepted that.”

 

Wonsik's reply was cut off by the door swinging open. My jaw almost dropped when I realised who was standing in the doorway. “Mr Kim.” I said, my voice a little shaky from my outburst of emotions. I saw Wonsik mumbled a string of curses under his breath at the interruption. I prayed that my mascara was holding up, I really didn’t want to explain myself to Jin. He looked between the two of us, the atmosphere so thick you could cut it with a knife. He looked at me, his gaze piercing into me, as if he was able to read my mind.

 

Please get me out of this. Please. Make me do a coffee run. Make me go get your lunch. Fire me. Just get me out of this room.

 

As if he sensed my silent pleas, he cleared his throat. “I’ve been looking for you. There are some files down in the storage room that I need you to find. They still haven’t been put onto our new database. If you're finished with your printing, come to my office and I’ll give you the list.” Jin said coolly as he held the door open for me. I could have kissed him then and there. Without giving Wonsik another look, I walked past him and left the print room.

 

 

 

 

Jin

 

I saw Nari head into the print room, Jackson following her a minute later. The two of them have been close since she started here. I’m a little jealous of how close the two of them are, but I need to remember my position here at the company.

 

I watched Jackson leave the print room as my phone rang. I answered the call, my attention still on Nari as she looked over the files she had printed. My grip tightened on my phone as I saw that creep, Wonsik, go into the print room and close the door behind him. It took every ounce of self-control I had to not hang up on my client. I rushed the call, needing to go to Nari. I don’t know why, but there's just something about the way he looks at Nari that makes my blood boil.

 

I managed to rush the client off the phone, telling him I had to go to a meeting. I walked out of my office, my focus solely on the door to the print room. I don’t know why, but I felt like Nari needed me.

 

I could hear her voice as I approached the door, I was silently grateful that the print room was far enough away from everyone’s desks that no one else could hear her. I pushed the door open, Nari’s eyes widening as soon as she saw me. My grip on the door handle tightened painfully.

 

That bastard made her cry. I could tell that she was trying to hide it, but the tears in her eyes were unmistakable. I cleared my throat, needing to keep my voice calm, “I’ve been looking for you. There are some files down in the storage room that I need you to find. They still haven’t been put onto our new database. If you're finished with your printing, come to my office and I’ll give you the list.” I said. I didn’t need any of those files. We had one of our temps put everything onto the database three months ago, but I’m sure Nari doesn’t know that. As soon as I finished speaking she walked out of the room. It looked like she was doing everything within her power not to run out of the room.

 

Wonsik turned as she left, as if he wanted to follow her or say something, but I grabbed his arm, closing the door over slightly so that anyone walking by wouldn’t see us. “I don’t know what happened here, but let me make myself clear. You are a guest here.” I said, my voice low and threatening. “Do not overstay your welcome and do not harass my staff.” I warned as I released my grip on his arm and left the room, not giving him a chance to respond.