Final

From rock bottom, the only way is up

After Jin’s forced confession about his past, a lot of things changed.

 

We went into work late the next morning and Wonsik had wisely chosen to clear out his office. Star sent another representative to finish the project, saying that Wonsik was taking a sudden leave of absence due to health concerns. The new representative, Hakyeon, was fantastic. Not to mention he was a huge hit with the ladies, and a few of the gentlemen in the office. He was funny, witty, sassy and intelligent. Thanks to his help, the project was a huge success.

 

I also got promoted, becoming a senior consultant which gave me the freedom to choose my own projects instead of having them assigned to me. This decision had come from the top of our company, Jin insisting that he had had nothing to do with the decision. Apparently the Star project had been a test to see if I was ready for the added responsibility.

 

I got my own office. I was a little disappointed at not sharing an office with Jin anymore, but I have to admit that it is kinda cool to see my name on the door of my own office.

 

 

But despite these changes, the one thing that didn’t change was us.

 

After the news about my promotion, Jin insisted on cooking me dinner at his place. “I swear I've never had a meal as good as this one.” I said as I finished off the last of my food. “I’m not going to lie, I was tempted to the plate, but decided against it. It was a tough choice though.” Jin chuckled at my enthusiasm. “I’m not kidding!” I said. “You might have missed your calling, you should have become a chef.” Jin laughed at my words. “I want to say that you're exaggerating, but I've tasted my own food, so I know you're not.” He said with a playful wink.

 

He lifted his glass to me and I copied his action. “A toast. To our newest senior consultant.” He said, emphasising the word ‘senior’. I couldn’t hide my smile as he tapped our glasses together.

 

We spent the rest of the night sitting out on the balcony, snuggled under one blanket watching the stars. It might sound cliché and cheesy, but it was perfect. I can’t believe how much my life has changed in such a short time. Not too long ago I was planning my wedding to the wrong guy. How different would my life have been if I had married Wonsik back then? I truly believe that if I had, then I would have missed the chance to spend the rest of my life with my true soulmate. I smiled up at Jin as I snuggled in closer to him as he wrapped his arm around me, holding me against his side.

 

 

Jin

 

I smiled down at Nari as she snuggled in against my side. I pulled the blanket up, making sure she was fully covered before wrapping my arm around her. I still can’t fully believe that we’re here. That night when Wonsik had revealed my past to her, I thought it was the end. I thought that she would have reacted the same way as everyone else had if she ever found out about my past.

 

But she had caught me completely by surprise and had accepted me. Flaws and all. I never dreamed that someone would love me as unconditionally as Nari does. Sometimes it feels like a dream but then I realise that this is reality and there is really someone by my side that loves me, all of me. Even the parts of me that I dislike.

 

I pressed a kiss to the top of her head. Words would never be enough to thank her or to show my gratitude to her. I’ll need to spend the rest of my life showing her how much I love her, and how through her acceptance of me, she has changed my life… forever.