Chapter 11

From rock bottom, the only way is up

It has been a month since Jin and I went on our first date.

 

I can honestly say that it has been the best time of my life. Jin is hilarious, kind, funny, witty and just practically perfect while still being down-to-earth and friendly. I don’t know how someone like him exists! He’s like a character from a comic book or something!

 

We’ve gone on a few dates since then. We’ve been to the amusement park where he insisted on winning me a teddy bear. It would have been cheaper for him to just buy the bear at a store, but he insisted on playing those claw machines until he won one, and I have to admit, it was super cute watching him play. The bear is a gorgeous brown, a shade or two lighter than his hair and it has a pink tutu. He insisted that I call it Jinnie so that I would think of him whenever I saw it.

 

He also surprised me with a picnic in the park! I didn’t know guys actually did things like that? I thought that was the sort of thing that only happened to girls in dramas or in books!

 

Aside from that, we’re finally almost finished the project with Star, which means that soon, Wonsik won't have an excuse to hang around the office anymore. I had hoped that after Jin and his little… discussion, that he would have made the smart choice and returned to Star and continued the project from there, but unfortunately for me, I forgot how stubborn he can be. He’s stayed in the office the whole time, thankfully he's kept himself to himself lately.

 

I want to hope that he’s finally gotten the hint that nothing will ever happen between us again, but I’m too afraid to think like that just yet. I’ll need to be smart and keep my guard up until he leaves for good.

 

“Nari?”

 

I jumped at the sound of my name being called. “Huh?” I spluttered out, my face flushing red from being caught spacing out. Jin smiled at me from his spot by the doorway. “I said that I have to go out for that meeting just now. I won't be able to take you home tonight, you know how long these meetings last.” He said with a chuckle. I chuckled back at him. He has a meeting with Jeon Jungkook, one of the youngest bosses in Korea. The kid is a genius. He runs a gaming company and has a tendency to get carried away when talking about his newest game. Jin has a soft spot for him and never interrupts him, he always lets him ramble on, often getting just as excited as the young man.

 

“Make sure you get home safe, okay?” he said giving me a warm look. I smiled back, “Don’t worry. I’m a big girl, I’m sure I’ll be fine.” I said reassuringly. Jin smiled before glancing out of the large windows of his office before striding towards me and pressing a chaste kiss to my lips. “Text me when you’re home.” He whispered against my lips before he pulled away and disappeared out the door.

 

I smiled goofily to myself as my fingers lingered over my lips. I shook my head and attempted to focus back on my work. You'd think I'd get used to this after dating him for a month, but his kisses still take my breath away and leave butterflies swirling around in my stomach.

 

 

 

 

I groaned as I rubbed my tired eyes. I flopped back in my chair, cursing the time. How the hell is it already past nine? I stretched with a loud groan, my muscles and joints protesting from sitting in my chair for so long. I was meant to clock off hours ago, but we’d had a power outage in the afternoon and I had lost everything that I had been working on all day. Everything. I had prayed that my files would have been automatically saved, but I'm not that lucky. Normally I would have just left it and tried to catch up tomorrow, but we’re so close to finishing up this project with Star that I had to stay behind and try to make up some of the stuff that had been lost.

 

I need to take a leaf out of Jackson’s book and start automatically saving everything to an external hard drive so that I don’t lose anything like this again. I rubbed my eyes before once again looking back at my computer screen. I’ve managed to recover most of what I lost. I’ll keep at it for a while longer before calling it a night.

 

 

 

I managed to keep working for another half an hour before calling it quits. I saved everything at least three times, paranoid that I would lose everything again. I sighed as I shut down my computer, a slight headache forming from staring at my screen for so long. I had text Jin hours ago telling him what had happened. He had text back, telling me not to overwork myself and to text him if I needed a ride home.

 

I briefly considered calling him but changed my mind. Even though I knew he wouldn’t be asleep by this time, I still didn’t want to bother him. I was double checking that everything was shut down when I heard a noise from the main office. My heart beat picked up at the sudden noise. “Calm down. It’s probably just the lady who comes in to clean.” I reasoned with myself.  I took a deep breath and picked up my handbag, securing it over my shoulder as I slowly made my way to the office door.

 

There wasn’t any light coming from under the door. “Its fine. She's probably cleaning the coffee room or something.” I muttered to myself, praying that I was right and that I wasn’t just minutes away from being brutally murdered. I threw the door open, hoping that if there was an axe wielding murderer behind the door, that the door would hit him and give me the chance to make my escape.

 

I breathed a sigh of relief when all the open door revealed was the deserted office. I chuckled to myself as I stepped out into the office. “I need to lay off the horror movies.” I muttered as I made my way towards the elevator. I patiently waited as the elevator rose up from the ground floor. Suddenly, the hairs on the back of my neck rose up. My grip tightened around the strap of my handbag. The elevator was still too far away from my floor…

 

I spun around, ready to try my best to defend myself from whatever crazy person had found their way into the building and instead found myself face to face with Wonsik. “What the hell, Wonsik?” I yelled, instinctively lashing out and slapping him on the arm. He flinched from my sudden attack but I know it couldn’t have hurt. “You almost gave me a heart attack!” I spat, my heart still thundering in my chest from the adrenaline.

 

“Sorry, I didn’t meant to scare you.” He said gently. I rubbed at my chest, hoping that my heart would stop trying to escape from my ribcage. “Why are you even still here at this hour?” I asked suspiciously. He hadn’t bothered me for a while, and I really didn’t want that streak to end. “I had to show you something.” He said as he held out a brown envelope towards me. “What is it?” I asked as I hesitantly took the envelope from him. “Just look inside.” He said, an almost hopeful tone to his voice.

 

I sighed and decided to humour him this one time. I opened the envelope and pulled out the papers that were inside. “What is all of this?” I asked as I moved to the desk closest to me, switching on the small desk lamp so that I could see better. “It’s the reason why you shouldn’t be dating Seokjin.” He said. My head snapped up at his words, “What are you talking about? Who I date has nothing to do with you.” I said as I picked up the envelope, ready to stuff the papers back inside of them.

 

“No, you don’t understand! He’s dangerous!” Wonsik insisted as he grabbed the papers from me, shoving one of them in my face. “See? Look here! When he was a teenager, he spent several months in a mental hospital. His psychiatrist said that he was a dangerous person.” My mouth dropped in shock. Not from hearing about Jin’s past, but at the fact that Wonsik as stooped as low as to get this kind of information. “How on earth did you get access to stuff like this?” I asked angrily. “I hired a private investigator.” Wonsik said, not a trace of embarrassment in his voice.

 

“What the hell, Wonsik! How could you do something like this?” I asked incredulously as I pointed at the papers on the desk beside me. “I had to show you what kind of person he really is, Nari!” he said desperately. “I knew there was something weird about him from the start but you just couldn’t see it! Now you can! Now you know what kind of person he really is. All you need to do is just read those files and-“

 

SLAP

 

Wonsik recoiled from the force of my slap. My chest heaved as I stared at him, my hand burning from the impact against his cheek. “Nari…” he breathed, shock clear to see on his face. Even when we had argued after I had found out about him cheating, I had never physically lashed out at him. “How dare you.” I said, my voice low and laced with built up anger. “How dare you do something so lowly as to hire a private investigator to investigate my boyfriend. Did you honestly think that if you showed me these files that I would suddenly decide that you were actually the right person for me?” I scoffed.

 

“You're delusional. I have never been more disgusted by anyone in my entire life!” I shouted. All this time of having Wonsik hovering around me, both at work and at home had finally reached boiling point. I had tried to hold back, a small part of my heart still belonging to him. But not anymore.

 

Any lingering affection I had for him has been completely destroyed by his own hand. “So what if he was in a mental institution?” I spat. “We’ve only been dating for a month, it’s not like you dump all your on someone the second you meet them. There's plenty that Jin doesn’t know about me yet.”

 

“But-“

 

“No.” I said firmly. Cutting off whatever excuse he was going to try and throw at me to explain his actions. “This secret wasn’t yours to tell, Wonsik. If Jin wanted me to know, then he should have been able to tell me whenever he wanted to.” I grabbed the papers and walked over to the shredder, stuffing the papers into it as Wonsik stuttered out excuses out behind me. “I suggest you destroy any copies if you have them.” I warned as I turned back to face him, my jaw dropping.

 

Jin.

 

He was standing in front of the elevator, looking more angry that I ever thought that beautiful face could look. Wonsik cocked his head at my sudden change in expression and turned to see what I was looking at, his face falling when he saw Jin.

 

Wonsik barely had time to take in a breath before Jin stalked towards him, his fist swinging forward and catching him square on the jaw. I let out a squeal of shock, my hands flying up to cover my mouth as Jin punched him again before grabbing the front of his shirt in a grip tight enough to almost rip the material. “Clear out your office right now.” He said, his voice low and threatening. “I never want to see you in this building again. If I do, I will have you arrested.” He said as he released Wonsik's shirt.

 

He turned to me, his eyes swimming with emotions. He looked angry, betrayed, desperate and hurt. “Jin…” as if that was his cue, he stormed off in the direction of the stairs. “Jin!” I shouted after him. I cursed when I heard the sound of the door slamming shut. I turned to Wonsik. “I never want to see you again. You better take Jin’s advice.” I said before rushing after Jin, leaving Wonsik behind, not caring if he followed my words or not.