Chapter 01

From rock bottom, the only way is up

It’s been exactly six months since my life turned to .

 

I thought everything had been perfect. I had an amazing job that I loved. I had a great apartment and I was only a month away from marrying the man I loved.

 

Shame the feeling wasn’t mutual.

 

We had been high school sweethearts. We had started dating when we were only fifteen years old. Everyone around us was convinced we were the perfect couple. You know the couple that you both love and hate? We both had great jobs that kept us busy, but we were never too busy for each other. We hung out together. We worked out together. We hosted dinner parties for all of our friends. We were less than a month away from our wedding… and then it all went to hell in a handbasket.

 

He had an affair with our wedding planner. I walked in on them humping like dogs in heat on top of the plans for the tables at the reception. Needless to say, the wedding was called off then and there, and I got my fee returned in full from her company.

 

My parents had been distraught, they loved him more than I did. He had always been the perfect son-in-law. He played golf with my father at the weekends and he always brought my mother flowers whenever he visited.

 

His parents had begged me to give him another chance, but I just couldn’t do it. How could I trust him again after that?

 

So I packed up my things and moved in with my sister and her husband until I found my own place. My mother had told me to go back home, meaning the apartment we shared, but I knew she just wanted to convince me to go ahead with the wedding, so I refused. During the time of trying to cancel a wedding and adjust to life without the man that I had been with for over ten years, I got so wrapped up in things that I lost my job. Apparently, a marriage falling through was not a good enough excuse for time off. .

 

So here I am. Six months down the line. I've got a modest little apartment in a decent area of town and I landed a new job at one of the biggest advertising firms in the whole of Asia. Things are finally starting to look up. The boss can a bit of a nightmare, I've never met anyone as picky before, but he's also the name in advertising. Kim Seokjin aka ex model aka a prodigy of advertising aka a walking Adonis. What he lacks in social skills he more than makes up for in looks.

 

So, now that we’re all on the same page… let’s get on with the story.

 

I rubbed the bridge of my nose, my vision blurry from staring at my computer screen for so long. “Nuna, how are you getting on?” my best friend, Jackson, asked me from his cubicle across from mine. “I’m fine.” I answered as his head popped up above the cubicle wall. “Please, I can hear you stressing out from over here.” He teased. I smirked and lobbed a paperclip at him. “Shut up. This is already the third time I’ve had to submit this proposal.” I whined as I scrolled through the pages of my newly typed up document.

 

Jackson sighed sympathetically. “I know he's like the god of advertising and all, but would it kill him to not be a jerk all the time?” he asked, his gaze subtly shifting to our boss’ office, making sure he was still there and not right behind him. Wouldn’t have been the first time. I chuckled at Jackson’s words, “I guess when you become one of the youngest and most famous advertisers of all time, you get permission to be a bit of an arsehole.” I said as I hit the print button on my proposal.

 

I made my way over to the printer and grabbed my papers, taking them back to my desk to put them into a file. I took a deep breath, straightening my skirt and smoothing back my hair. “Wish me luck.” I said, giving Jackson a weak smile. Jackson balled his hands into fists, pumping them above his head, “Hwaiting!” he said, loud enough to catch the attention of the entire office, earning him a few glares which he completely ignored. I suppressed a laugh as I made my way to Jin’s office, my stomach beginning to churn the closer I got.

 

I stopped outside of his office, taking one last deep breath before knocking on his door. His smooth voice sounded from inside, telling me to enter. My knees were weak, partially from nerves and partially from the shiver that climbed my spine at the sound of his voice. I opened the heavy wooden door and let myself into his office, making sure to close the door behind me. “Mr Kim? I have the proposal ready.” I said, not moving from my spot by the door.

 

He was sitting in a large, leather chair, rapidly typing on his computer, his shirt sleeves rolled up to his elbows, showing off his strong forearms. The top two buttons were undone on his shirt, letting the barest glimpse of his collarbones show. He extended a hand towards me without a word. I almost tripped over myself as I rushed forward to hand over my proposal.

 

He took it from me and flipped through it almost carelessly. “How long have you worked here?” he asked, his eyes on the papers in front of him. “Almost two months.” I said, hoping he couldn’t hear how nervous I was. He hummed in response. “This doesn’t look like the work of someone who has only worked here for two months.” He commented, sparing me the barest of glances. “I've actually been working in advertising for almost ten years. I had to leave my last job because of family issues.” I said, using my go to excuse for why I had left such a good job behind. I didn’t like telling people that I had been forced to leave because of my wedding and life falling apart.

 

Jin hummed again. “This is the third time you’ve submitted this, correct?” he asked. I nodded, “Yes, sir.” I said as he flipped the file shut. “Do you understand why I made you redo this again and again?” he asked. I nodded. “I know that although I’ve been in this sector for a long time that there's still a lot I can learn, especially from someone with as much expertise as you.” I said. His lips twitched up in a smile. “Flattery will get you nowhere.” He said, the slightest note of teasing in his voice which caught me by surprise. Kim Seokjin didn’t tease.

 

He stood up and walked around his desk, coming to stand right in front of me as he sat on the end of his desk, his arms folded across his broad chest. “You’ve got talent. It’s still quite raw, but there's an honesty to your work which cannot be taught. That’s why you are here in the first place.” He said, his words catching me off-guard. “Really?” I asked. He nodded, that tiny smirk still playing on his lips. “Like I said, your skills are still raw and need refining, and what better way than having you take lead on the Star Jewellery case.” He said as casually as if he was telling me the time, not that he was telling me that I was about to take on one of the biggest cases in the company.

 

“But the Star contract… isn’t that usually handled by the other team?” I asked, knowing that all the contracts were split over two teams, and the other team usually took point with Star’s advertising. “That’s right. But because they are currently without a team leader, it’s been agreed that our team will take the lead on it and I think your style is exactly what Star needs to bring them back into the forefront of the jewellery market.” He said.

 

“Wow…” I breathed with a chuckle. This is an amazing opportunity to get my name out there. In my old job I was always in the background, my name in the fine print of the advertisements I worked on, but this is my chance to have my name right there; Front and centre. “Of course, I won't leave you to do it alone. I’ll be there as a monitor of sorts, but I’ll only interject if there's a need for it. You’ll be in charge of the whole team.” He said.

 

“Thank you. This is such a fantastic opportunity.” I said, not able to wipe the smile from my face. “Don’t let me down.” He said as he returned to his seat. “I won't. I’ll go get started right away.” I said as I bowed a full ninety degrees. “I won't let you down.” I said as I rushed out of the office in case he decided to change his mind. I rushed back to my seat, fanning my face. “What happened?” Jackson said, his head once again appearing over our cubicle wall.

 

“He gave me the Star Jewellery case.” I said, barely believing the words that were coming out of my mouth. His jaw dropped. “No freaking way!” he yelled, once again earning himself some glares from the rest of the team, which he once again completely ignored. “Nuna, that is amazing! He totally has the hots for you!” he said, this time my jaw dropping. “What?! Keep your voice down!” I whispered, looking around to make sure Jin was still in his office. “Oh, come on! He's always so nice to you while he makes the rest of us run around like headless chickens! Whenever he has something bad to say about your work he always says it in the nicest way! Whenever Jaebum handed in that proposal last month that he didn’t like he literally threw it into the trash can right in front of him!” Jackson reasoned.

 

I rolled my eyes. “You're delusional.” I said, shooing him back to his side of the cubicle. A message appeared on my phone a few seconds later.

 

Jackson: He's sooooo into you!

 

I glared at the cubicle wall that separated me from Jackson. “I will murder you.” I hissed, Jackson’s chuckle sounding through the wall as I started researching Star Jewellery, filled with a sense of purpose that I had been lacking for the past six months…