Gates

Seduced by the Devil
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“You’re finally smiling,” Amber’s mom noted as they got ready to get into the car and head to church.

“I think I’ve made a friend.”

“I told you.” She reached over and pinched Amber’s cheek. “No one can resist you for long.”

They sang a few of their favorite songs on the way to church and were in a great mood as they pulled into the parking lot. Their moods slowly declined, however, as they stepped out of their car and headed toward the church.

Mrs. Liu wrapped an arm around her daughter’s waist. “I’m sorry I brushed you off before. I didn’t realize.”

Amber held her mother’s hand.

“Uhm, Hi,” a woman in a large hat and matching purple outfit said stepping into their path at the door. “You are?”

“The Liu’s,” Amber’s father said, reaching out his hand to shake her’s. “This is my wife and daughter, Amber.”

“Daughter?” The woman looked her up and down and Mrs. Liu squeezed Amber’s hand protectively.

Amber was used to wearing suits and ties to church without getting looks back in Los Angelos. Seemed like it was an entirely different thing here in Green Valley. Her older sister Jackie, attending college back in California, would probably make some not so sweet remarks about the woman’s own ill-fitting suit if she’d seen the way she was looking down on her baby sister. That thought helped shield Amber’s heart a bit.

“Yes. Daughter,” Her mother said firmly, not one to back down. “We’ve been looking forward to attending church all week and my feet are hurting a bit in these heels. It would be wonderful if we could perhaps find a pew…”

“Ah. Of course.” The older woman looked offended at being reminded she should show manners. “We like to have our guests at the front. Choose any seat from the first few rows. What’s that, young lady?” She asked pointing to Amber’s guitar.

“I heard the band needed a guitarist, so I brought mine along.”

The woman scowled at her but pointed her to a blue door off to the side of the choir stand.

“The band should be gathering back there.”

“Good luck, sweetheart.”

“Thanks, mom,” she said, kissing her mother on the cheek.

She bounded off down the aisle and knocked lightly on the door.

It opened to Krystal’s face, eyes turning into half-moons as she smiled in welcome. Amber couldn’t help smiling back.

“Hi,” she said, lifting her case. “I brought my guitar.”

Krystal opened the door wider to let her in, stepping backwards.

“Oh, goodness!” And elderly woman standing next to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter