Into the Woods

Seduced by the Devil
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Amber popped her headphones in, grabbed her camera, and headed into the woods. She’d pretty much seen the entire town during her first three days. The town was so small, there was nothing much to see. At least the forest held a few mysteries.

She had been looking forward to going to church at first, but she no longer felt she wanted to know anyone. They treated her like she was invisible or sick or dangerous.

She’d tried approaching a few people, but they were either standoffish or a little too nosy.

She sighed and snapped a picture of a broken flower, figuring that maybe she would finally get to understand what it was like to be a loner. Not really the most exciting thing to look forward to for someone like Amber. She’d had a lot of friends back in Los Angelos. She’d gone right down to none here in Green Valley, and talking to people over the phone just wasn’t the same as being able to run out and hang with them or just sit quietly in each other’s rooms trying to decide what college they wanted to go to. She couldn't say she much missed all her friends scrutinizing her dying relationship with her girlfriend though. At least that was mostly just between her and Jennie with everything long-distance. 

She lifted her camera to take another picture, then paused. She took it down, then lifted it back to her eye, focusing on the distant object that had caught her attention.

She wondered if she should approach or not, then gritted her teeth in determination. She couldn’t go through the entire school year like this.

Amber picked up her feet and stepped carefully through the forest, trying not to trip on anything, then came upon the figure she’d seen earlier. The girl in her art class and on the school paper with her.

She knew the girl had noticed her too when she froze in place, looking like she wanted to turn and flee to anywhere else.

Amber rolled her eyes and leaned against a tree, just watching the girl nervously fiddle with a digital camera hanging around her neck.

“Hi.”

The girl looked like she didn’t want to answer but finally mumbled quietly. “Hi.”

“I’m not going to bite you know.”

The girl gripped her Camera strap tightly. “I know.”

“Then why are you looking at me like I’m the big bad wolf?”

Krystal’s eyes darted to hers, then off to the side. “I’m not.”

“Liar.”

The girl’s cheeks went red. “Sorry.”

“Why is everyone treating me like a freak?” She demanded quietly.

Krystal looked her up and down, then off to the side again and Amber nodded in understanding. She’d seen the way most of the girls in school looked with their long, styled hair, modest librarian style outfits and items in traditionally feminine colors. The boys in their button-ups and starched jeans. She didn’t know how she hadn’t realized it sooner.

“Do these scare you?” She asked, indicating her gauges. “These?” She asked, pulling up her sleeve to expose her tattoos, causing Krystal to gasp. She ran a hand through her short hair. “This?”

Amber laughed sardo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter