Meant to Be

Seduced by the Devil
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“If she doesn’t do anything on her own, there isn’t much we can do,” Jackie consoled her younger sister after hearing the entire story. “She could probably run away, but she’s afraid and she doesn’t know where to go. There are some shelters that could take her in, but those are often filled to capacity. She could be in foster care a few months, but who knows what would happen to her in that time period. And her mind...she probably needs some counseling after the way she was raised and her time in the conversion camp. I wish I had better news for you, Amber.” 

 

Amber leaned into her older sister. Wishing Krystal could rely on her older sister the way Amber could rely on hers. Wishing Krystal had parents as understanding as hers. 

 

“What should I do?” her voice trembled with despair. 

 

Jackie brushed her short hair back from her face. “This world , Amber. Sometimes we can’t do anything.” 

 

~

 

Jackie blew out of town the same way she’d blown into it. Amber wished she’d somehow managed to find a way to stow Krystal in her car somewhere, but she hadn’t seen the younger girl in days. The wedding and graduation were approaching. Krystal was finishing her classes through home school as far as Amber was aware. She’d gotten a call from Krystal’s friend, Shin Hye during that time, but she was someone else without a plan. It was nice to know she had support though and there was someone else somewhere in this town that wasn’t entirely heartless. 

 

But it was happening and there was nothing Amber and her family could do about it. So she put her head down and focused on her work, ignoring the taunts from fellow students and the aching guilt that this was her fault. If only she’d never come to this town or did a project with Krystal, or got to know her, or kissed her.

 

The messages in her locker didn’t help, the words scrawled on her car that she could barely scrub away before she made it home, or tried to park out of the way so her parents couldn’t see. 

 

“Amber, baby, we’re worried about you,” her mother said one day, leaning into the door of her bedroom, but not crossing inside without her permission. “You’re been down the past few days but it seems to be getting worse.” 

 

Amber waved for her mother to come and she immediately sank onto the bed beside her, pulling her daughter in close. 

 

“I know you want to stay to make sure Krystal is okay, but you need to be okay too, baby.” 

 

Amber looked into her mother’s understanding eyes and pressed her face into her shoulder. “This is all my fault. She wanted to avoid me but-” 

 

Mrs. Liu shook her head and held her daughter’s face in her hands. “Don’t let those people do this to you, Amber. This is on them. They could be tolerant and accept you both, but they aren’t. Her parents could care more about the flesh and blood girl living in their home rather than the filth they’ve poured into their minds and let spill onto her. None of this is on you, Amber. None of this.” 

 

“But-” 

 

“No. I think you need to reach out to your therapist, sweetheart. Is her number still in your phone?”

 

“Mom-”

 

Her mom held up a finger, a warning in her eyes. “I love you and I won’t let you blame yourself for something out of your control. You need to speak to your therapist. You need to take some of this burden off your shoulders. I’m so glad you opened up to me and I want you to know I’ve seen those horrible words written on your car that you haven’t told me about. This town is sick, Amber, and I won’t let it infect you. Talk to your therapist and your father and I have already decided; we’re only staying here until graduation, then we’re all moving back to California.” 

 

“But the promotion!” 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter