Fall

Seduced by the Devil
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Krystal paused passing out pamphlets when she noticed the new girl, Amber, across the park taking pictures of their gathering. She smoothed her hair and couldn’t seem to act natural afterward. She could hear Amber’s laugh from feet away and couldn’t help smiling a little herself, hoping the photos would look alright in the paper even though she’d gone robotic.

“Don’t worry. I took a lot of candid ones before you saw me,” Amber told her once she reached the gazebo. 

Some of the girls looked at her oddly, but she was only looking at Krystal. Since they sat next to each other in art and Amber had apologized for teasing her in the forest, they'd had a few small conversations over the past two days. Allthough most of the dialogue consisted of "What are you doing" to prod each other about their art assignments. 

“Here’s a guideline of what we’re going to be talking about during our bible study sessions for the next few weeks, our group chat information, and helpful links to books by some amazing Christian authors I read over the summer. ”

Amber smiled up at her and the corners of Krystal’s lips automatically flexed up as well.

“I hope you brought your bible and your notebook today. We like to dive right in.”

Amber tucked away her camera and pulled out a well worn bible and a scuffed looking journal. She had three different colored pens clipped on the cover along with two highlighters.

“Since we only got the pamphlets today-" Krystal pressed her hands together, "-I apologize for that, I had some trouble with the printing - we’ll be reading our favorite passages aloud to one another and discussing them. Who would like to go first?”

A girl in the back raised her hand and they began their bible study session. Krystal couldn’t help being amazed by Amber’s knowledge of the Bible along with her ability to discuss each topic as they went around the circle. How could someone love religion so much yet appear not to follow it? Amber’s very appearance and behavior opposed everything religion commanded women to be.

“Why did you keep looking at me like that?” Amber asked when the study session was over and all of the other girls had drifted away. They collected any forgottem pamphlets, pens, or paper that had been left behind. She sat down next to Krystal on the bench lining the gazebo and passed her what she'd gathered. The sun high setteled high in the sky and warmed the breeze as it pushed dying leaves from autumn trees.

“Like what?” Krystal asked, tilting her face back to enjoy the sensation of fall scented air moving through her hair.

“Like you kept being reminded I had a brain.”

Krystal clasped her hands between her knees wondering if it were okay to say what was on her mind. But she was curious and rumors were no source of information. “Why do you dress the way you do?”

“Because I like it,” Amber responded easily with a smile.

“But, it’s not how-“

“Women are supposed to dress?” Amber finished for her, not sounding offended or insulted.

“Yeah. You’re modestly covered, but your amount of piercings, and tattoos, and the torn jeans and-“

“Woah, wow, alright,” Amber said, raising her hands.  “I look terrible, I get it.”

“I didn’t say that,” Krystal protested, worried she'd offended the older girl.

Amber chuckled, shaking her head. “You need to learn how to lighten up." She shook her hair out of her eyes and unsuccessfully tucked the short strands behind her left ear. "I dress like this because it’s how I’m most comfortable. I used to wear dresses and have long hair until I was hmmm I think seven. It just wasn't me though. As soon as I could figure out the things that make me who I am, I started doing them. I asked my mom if I could pick the clothes I liked. I got older and cut my hair. I have piercings because I wanted them and tattoos for the same reason. It’s how I hold onto things that are important to me.” She raised her sleeve, showing Krystal her tattoo again. This time she didn’t flinch away, but

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter