Take Out

Seduced by the Devil
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It somehow became a habit for them to stop for food each day they left school, even when they weren’t particularly hungry. It was nice having a snack while they drove around the small town hunting for scenes that suited their project theme. More often then not, they would end up taking goofy photos of one another, feeling like stalkers as they creeped on the happenings of Green Valley. 

“Have you ever made below a C,” Amber asked Krystal one day as they shared a sandwich from Paulson’s Deli in the parking lot of an abandoned Piggly Wiggly. 

Krystal shook her head. “No, but I might be making my first F if we keep this up,” she said, waving her hand around the interior of Amber’s car. They’d pretty much been taking pictures of everything and nothing over the past week and were often baffled once they returned to Krystal’s room to review their finds. 

“I feel like a creep taking pictures of other people and like a pretentious weirdo taking pictures of nature,” Amber shrugged self-consciously, picking bits of bread off her half of the sandwich. “How are photographers so bold to just go around and shove their cameras in people’s faces?” 

Krystal laid a comforting hand on Amber’s knee, then quickly moved it away. She didn’t know what she was thinking. Sometimes Amber made her so comfortable she would forget herself. She wasn’t used to being comfortable. “Let’s go out with a different mindset starting Monday. Let’s be bold,” she encouraged, clenching her fists and turning toward Amber. 

“Ugh, this town is gonna hate me more than they already do.” 

“Nah, you’re with me. They’ll tolerate you.” 

Amber rolled her eyes and snapped a picture of Krystal munching on a potato chip. 

“Delete that.” 

“No,” Amber said, tilting her camera away. “I plan to cherish it forever.”

“We’re getting an F for sure.” 

Amber scrolled through her shots and couldn’t help but agree. 


“Don’t forget we’re taking contributions for the youth ski trip,” a deacon stood and called to the mass of church goers after the preacher finished his sermon. “Sign up sheets for kids and chaperones will be located on the front table in the entryway from now until Dec. 15th.” 

“Are you going?” Krystal asked quietly as she folded her keyboard stand. 

“On the ski trip?” 

Krystal nodded and Amber crinkled her eyes, looking around at the people milling through the church, clapping hands on each other’s backs but driving a wide berth around her parents. She scowled. 

“Someone might push me down the slopes.” 

“I’d stay by your side the whole time,” Krystal offered, straightening and looking down at Amber where she still sat on her stool, cradling her guitar. 

Amber shifted in discomfort, finally getting to her feet to pack away her guitar and the new music sheets she needed to practice for next Sunday. “I’d better not.” 

Krystal opened to try to argue her point more, but Gavin appeared and Amber took the opportunity to gather her folks and walk out of the building. 

“You haven’t spent as much time with the rest of us since you started hanging out with her,” he accused the minute he had her attention. 

She tried to maintain control of her facial expression cause she could feel her parents’ eyes on her from across the room. 

“Can you help me put up my keyboard? Amber usually does it, but she had to leave.” 

He fro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter