Chapter 4

Choices

Chapter 4

 

 

The first time Chaeyeon walked Minju home, was also the first time she saw the tall girl with plump lips and pretty eyes standing outside of her girlfriend’s house. She's really slanky, and Chaeyeon thought she might make a good model. The moment Minju saw the girl, she immediately let go of their connected hands and ran towards the tall figure. Though the action had sort of irked Chaeyeon, she let it pass and just watch the pair smiling and hugging each other for minutes. However, Chaeyeon felt the roaring of jealousy in her when she saw how bright her girlfriend was smiling and they were literally in their own world. 

She faked a little cough, successfully gaining their attention. Minju smile broadened as she goes back to linking their hands together and introduced the girl to Chaeyeon. 

 

Ahn Yujin. 

 

That was her name.

 

Minju’s childhood friend whom she had last seen 7 years ago. 

Chaeyeon could tell they were really close despite the fact that they haven’t seen each other for 7 years. Initially, she didn’t thought much about it after all Yujin is a really nice kid. She’s always smiling and Chaeyeon seems to click well with her. Especially when it comes to teasing Minju. Their gag codes match well and Chaeyeon really enjoyed her presence. 

 

Soon, dates with Minju turned out to be dates with Minju AND Yujin. The three of them started hanging out at one point of time. Not that Chaeyeon minded because there are times where Sakura had third-wheeled them before. Everything is fine and nothing is wrong when Chaeyeon still feel like they are on a date. But its not when Chaeyeon felt like the light bulb between them. Sometimes Yujin would be the one holding Minju’s hand while she, the actual girlfriend would be walking behind and just following wherever they go. 

Chaeyeon had tried her very best to not let her jealousy get ahead of her. She tried to be patient and understanding. Since she knew that they are bestfriends and she have a bestfriend as well. Maybe its just that they are very touchy and it’s undeniable that they click so well together. Their chemistry was unbeatable.

 

However, there is still a limit to everything.

 

Chaeyeon started to get annoyed at Yujin for joining in everytime they had date and Minju would end up frowning and question the older girl for the sudden cold treatment towards her bestfriend.

Let’s just say that the couple started to get into major fights because of Yujin. 

 

People often say that she’s dense. But it was clear to her that Yujin didn’t just purely treat Minju as a bestfriend. Her stares towards Minju was enough for Chaeyeon to know that she holds romantic feelings towards her girlfriend. And that doesn’t necessarily sit in well with her.

Without even her realising it, she started to feel intimidated by Yujin’s presence. Especially knowing that Yujin knew Minju longer than she does and probably knows more things about her. Thoughts about Minju leaving her started taunting her just after 3 months of getting together. The fact that it was her first relationship added to the stress. Futhermore, she was the older one in the relationship. She felt the burden to shoulder and keep her worries to herself.

 

She knows that in order for a relationship to work out, she needs to communicate with Minju and tell her everything that she feels.

So she did.

Once.

Chaeyeon remembers how she spend the whole night before trying her best to form the right sentences to say to Minju in order to not offend her girlfriend. She wanted to settle things peacefully and it wasn't Chaeyeon's intention to separate the two bestfriends. But it seemed like it was to Minju and they ended up in another conflict with Chaeyeon walking out of Minju's door again for the nth time. 

 

"What do you mean by that?"

"I'm just telling you how I feel, Minju."

"That's ridiculous, unnie. How can you say that Yujin is taking my attention away from you? Yujin is Yujin. You is you. Please try to understand me, unnie. I don't want to ignore my bestfriend just because I have a girlfriend. You know how we haven't met each other for seven years already right?"

"I'm trying to understand you. I'm not saying that you can't hang out with her anymore. I'm just saying that I wish that she would stop coming on our dates."

"Why are you suddenly like this? Sakura unnie joins us too sometimes!"

"But not all the time! Do you think I want to say all these things? Did you even put yourself in my shoes?"

"Unnie, I really don't want to fight with you again because of Yujin."

"Oh so you do realise that all of out fights are because of your bestfriend who obviously have romantic feelings for you?"

"Stop it. How many times must I say that she doesn't like me the way you think she is?"

"You're dense."

"and you're overly-sensitive."

 

Overly-sensitive.

That word that escaped from her girlfriend's lips, struck a nerve in Chaeyeon and if she was already 50% done with Minju before that conversation, she was nearly reaching her limit when she walked out.

She was at the verge of giving up and if it wasn't for her stupid soft heart, maybe the hurt inflicted in her might be lesser. Minju knows her weakness well. All she have to do was to show Chaeyeon her sad puppy eyes and a tight hug for the taller girl's heart to melt in puddles and accept Minju back into her arms again.

 

"I'm sorry, unnie. It was just at the heat of the moment that I said that. Please don't ignore me."

"I was hurt."

"I know. I regretted so much for saying that. You know how much I tresure you, unnie. I hate it when you are sad and I hate it even more when I'm the cause of it. Forgive me."

"I'm sorry too."

"It okay. But please can we refrain from talking about Yujin whenever its just the two of us? I promise that I will spend more time with you. I just don't want to fight with you anymore because of her."

 

Chaeyeon kept that promise and hence, it was the first and the last time she had ever shared about her true feelings to Minju fearing that they would just end up in another round of arugment. Instead, she often pours her thoughts and feelings out to Sakura.

 

Which explains why Sakura is currently so worked up now trying all ways to stop Chaeyeon from going back to her ex.

 

”Okay fine, let’s just say that Yujin did something to break you guys up back then. But it was still obvious that you wasn’t happy in it.” 

Chaeyeon shook her head in disagreement, “I was happy. Till Yujin appeared.” 

“Chae, truth to be told. It was toxic. You and Minju. It wouldn’t work out if you guys don’t communicate you feelings.” 

Sakura sighs as she recalls the nights where she had to comfort the insecured Chaeyeon and keep telling that she’s gonna be fine when she knew that their relationship wasn’t going anywhere. However, Sakura could not deny the fact that Minju indeed brighten up Chaeyeon's life.

Chaeyeon may not know this, but while she was happily dating Minju, her bestfriend was wearing fake smiles all along. There were nights where Sakura cried herself to sleep after hearing the romantic and sappy dates her bestfriend had with the younger girl. How could she just tell Chaeyeon who is so in love with Minju in the face to end things with her? 

 

Sakura knew that at some point of time, she wasn't the one who's making Chaeyeon laugh anymore. She's not the only one that enjoys Chaeyeon's motherly love and kind heart. Maybe she's not even the first person Chaeyeon would share her little problems with now that she got herself a girlfriend. She have to share Chaeyeon's attention and affections with someone else.

 

To put it simpler; It felt like over a day and in an instant, Minju had snatched everything she has in Korea. 

 

It was hard for Sakura and she blamed herself countlessly.

 

If only she had the courage to confess her feelings. 

If only she had truthfully told Chaeyeon back then how unhealthy their relationship was and not be afraid of hurting her feelings at that point of time, maybe it could save Chaeyeon from all those misery       both her and Chaeyeon. 

 

 

”That's my fault too." 

 

Now that she knows that she wasn't stood up the other day and that she had misunderstood the whole situation between Minju and Yujin, Chaeyeon felt extremely guilty.

 

If only she had stayed longer to see Minju pushing her bestfriend away, horrfied by the sudden kiss.

If only she had stayed longer to hear how Minju continued crying and told Yujin that she only sees her as a bestfriend.

If only she had seen Minju rejecting her bestfriend's feelings.

If only she didn't jump into conclusion that quickly.  

 

"Maybe if I had just stayed there and see what happened next." Chaeyeon clenched her fist, "Maybe... maybe we are still a happy couple." The short-haired beauty frowned and hovers her hand over her bestfriend's clenched fist and shook her head calmly, her eyes staring into Chaeyeon's head firmly. 

Ever since Chaeyeon revealed the news, a burning fire was already ignited in Sakura's chest. She would never ever allow Minju to have the chance to hurt someone she loves again. 

 

"I'll be honest with you."

"I will never ever agree and support you if you ever want to go back to Minju." 

 

Chaeyeon's eyes widen for a split second before it became downcasted, "Why? It's not her fault that now we became like this." 

"It's not your fault either. Anyone who was in your position would react the same way."

 

As much as Sakura wants to convince the girl to stop blaming herself, she knew it wouldn't work. 

 

"Look, Chaeyeon. I know everything that I'm saying will just go deaf ears and now you are still trying to recover and process this whole thing. I'm not going to say anything more though I have lots to pour out."

"Now, I just want you to go home, take a warm bath and go to sleep."

"We will continue this tomorrow when you sort you thoughts out and let this whole thing sink into your mind."

 

They exited the cafe hand in hand with Sakura leading the way. When Chaeyeon sees the small back of her bestfriend, she felt a huge sense of gratitude that washed over her. She squeezed the older's hand lightly, making Sakura stop her tracks. Before the girl could turn around and question Chaeyeon about it, the latter had went forth to hug her from the back. 

 

"Thank you, Saku-chan." 

Although she was used to hugging Chaeyeon, she totally did not expect a backhug at all. So she could only gulp as Chaeyeon tightens her hold around her waist and leans her chin on her shoulder. 

"I don't know what I can do without you."

 

Sakura smiles and turn her head slightly to see Chaeyeon with her eyes closed peacefully.

 

Eventhough they were going through a huge stormy storm, Sakura was glad that they are in it together. Sakura would rather them relying on each other in times of troubles than them barely spending time together because of school and (ex) girlfriend. 

She knows that she would not feel insecure as long as she has Chaeyeon by her side. As a bestfriend or as something more. 

She may be satisfied with just being Chaeyeon's best friend supporting her at the side before.

But it doesn't mean that she's going to remain as just Chaeyeon's supportive friend because she's certain that it's going to be difficult for her to accept it when Chaeyeon finds another girl to replace her spot. 

 

She promise to herself that she's going to confess her true feelings soon. 

 

History will not repeat itself. 

 

 

 

***

 

 

Heeding to Sakura's instructions, the dancer dunk herself in a warm bubble tub for an hour to clear her mind and relex her brain. Though it didn't help much with her current situation, but Chaeyeon felt her nerves more relexed. That one hour alone time made helped her organize her thoughts. Eventhough she still doesn't know what's the next plan, Chaeyeon knows that she can't let Minju's problem affect her dance competition coming up. Maybe she should just leave it till the competition is over first. 

 

"Yes. Let's just think about competition." Chaeyeon sighs and swing her arm over to cover her tired eyes as she plopped herself onto her soft mattress. She was about to drift to her lala land when her phone buzz off, waking her up from her doziness. 

 

From: +85 2785 5738

It was nice to see you again, Chaeyeon unnie. I didn't know that we had so much misunderstanding between us and I'm sorry for everything. Please have a good sleep and can we meet up soon? I mean we can catch up more over a coffee? I can go your school if you are too busy or anything! 

 

 

Just by reading the text, Chaeyeon knew who was behind the unknown number. She clicked on the number and saved it before replying. 

 

 

To: Minju

You do not need to feel sorry, Minju. It's partly my fault too. It was nice to see you too though it was such a surprised to see you appear out of no where.

I'm sorry for coming off rude earlier on too :( I know there are still many thing to talk about us but for now I would appreciate it if you let me focus on my dance competition first. I really want to give off my best for this stage.

Btw, how did you get my contact number? 

 

 

From: Minju

Ahh it's okay! When is your competition? And I got it from Eunbi unnie haha I hope you don't mind? We talked a bit when I realised that we were living in the same neighbourhood.

 

 

To: Minju

Oh I see. I should have given it to you myself earlier on haha sorry my brain was just too stressed up. The competition is on this coming friday so yeah three more days to go.

 

 

 

From: Minju

Can I go support you? I mean its been long since I've seen you dance! Remember that I was a fan of yours even before we got together! XD

 

 

 

To: Minju

I guess you can if you're free :) I will send you the address of the location soon! And yes, I do remember my number one fan keke

 

 

It was actually nice to chat with Minju again after so long. It wasn't as awkward as Chaeyeon thought it woud be. Instead, it was pretty laid back and fun. It felt like they just went back to being friends. Though there was still guilt eating her up, the conversation helped Chaeyeon to push the negative feeling away slightly.

After exchanging good nights, Chaeyeon smiled slightly at her screen as she scrolled through the amount of messages they sent in a span of fifteen minutes and giggled. It reminded her of her past with Minju    good ones.

 

Amongst the number of text exchanged, something stood out to Chaeyeon. 

 

"Eunbi unnie lives around Minju's neighbourhood?" 

That was something new that Chaeyeon just learn about her current crush. Though she had knew Eunbi for months, she realised that the senior rarely speaks about her family. She literally knows nothing about Eunbi's family background, how many siblings does she have a dog like Chaeri.

 

So much for saying that she likes Eunbi. Tsk. 

 

But if she lives at Minju's neighbourhood, it meant that Eunbi is really well-off. Chaeyeon had seen and had went to Minju's place before and she recalls vivdly how luxurious her place was. Chaeyeon could already tell how rich her ex-girlfriend was just by stepping into that street. 

The whole neighbourhood was just simply extravagant. Each house was as big as a mansion and it reminded her of those grand and lush buildings she saw in Chaeryung's favourite Cinderella story books before. 

 

If Eunbi turns out to be another rich princess, it just means that Chaeyeon certain has a eye for princesses.

Maybe it's just her fate to cross path and get entangled with these bunch of beautiful princesses.

 

 


***

 

 

It was almost eleven in the evening when Chaeyeon decided that her brain wouldn't shut down and let her rest. So she put on a coat, wanting to sneaked out of her house and head to the convience store to grab her favourite ice cream. She thought of calling Sakura out for their usual night hang outs but figured that the latter would probably start talking about Minju again. So she ended up off-ing her phone instead of dialing Sakura's number while wearing her shoes.

Not that she finds Sakura nagging or anything. If there's one person she would thank, it would definitely be Sakura. She knows that her bestfriend cares a lot about her but sometimes it gets slightly too overwhelming for her. Maybe it was because Sakura saw her at her lowest point that why she tend to be more protective over her. Chaeyeon understands but sometimes she feels bad for being such a big burden for her bestfriend eventhough Sakura often assure her that it's fine. 

At times, Chaeyeon felt that Sakura might be even more stressed up than herself for the problems she face. 

She could feel how much Sakura tries to make her feel better. All the things that Sakura would do to bring the smile back to her. But sometimes she doesn't really need someone to make her happy and forget about the bad things or give her advices. She knows that Sakura always sides her and even though she does something wrong, the latter would rather cheer her up than to scold her. At times, what Chaeyeon needed was just someone to cry with her and to just slap it into her face for the things that she done wrong. So that she could learn from it and become a better person. 

Chaeyeon knows that Sakura looks up to her in lots of different areas and occasionally the younger girl gets stressed up because of it. Afraid that she might not meet the standards of her bestfriend.

 

After sloppily wearing her shoes, the cold wind welcomed her as soon as she opened the door. But what she didn't expect was to catch her senior loitering infront of her house, jaw slacked and mouth ajar.  

"Eunbi unnie?" 

"H-Hey." 

 

Eunbi blinks and fumbled with the end of her coat as she darts her eyes around. 

"What are you doing here?" 

"Hm. I...I was just going for a stroll!" 

 

Chaeyeon quirked a brow at the reason. Knowing that she was Minju's neighbour, the younger girl and confused as to why the senior would come all the way here to have a stroll. It was a drive away. 

"Are you sure? Aren't you Minju's neighbour?" 

Blood pounded in her ears and cheeks as she stood frozen on her spot knowning that her lame excuse just got exposed in less than a second. The flustered vice-captain could only hide her crimson cheeks behind her hair and smile sheepishly, "I didn't expect her to tell you that." 

Chaeyeon laughs, "Well, I didn't expect you to give her my number too." 

"Oh right that. Its just that... you know I don't know what happened between you guys and she seems desperate so I... yeah sorry." 

"That's invsion of my privacy, unnie."

"Are you mad?"

Bitting a smile back, Chaeyeon nodded and folded her arm at the guilt-stricken girl. 

 

"Treat me ice cream." 

"Ice cream? Are you a kid or what?"

"Shut up, even my grandma still enjoys it with only two teeth left." 

 

Chaeyeon brave herself up to take the older's hand and pull her to walk along beside her. She could feel Eunbi stiffening up at her advances. Not wanting to make her uncomfortable, Chaeyeon instantly drop her hand once they start walking. But to her pleasent surprise, Eunbi was quick to grab her pinky and held her hand again but this time, interwining their fingers together.

At that instant, Chaeyeon couldn't help but let her cheekbones rise as she tries hard to calm the thuddering in her chest. From her perherioal view, she could see Eunbi blushing and looking straight ahead. 

Albeit being confused by the senior's sudden attention after that rejection a week ago, Chaeyeon rather remaine mum about it and enjoy the present moment. 

"So why are you taking a stroll in my neighbourhood at this timing?" 

The brunette broke the slience as they took a slow walk towards the convience store. Eunbi remained slient at the question thrown towards her. Hestitating on whether to tell the truth or not. 

It would be stupid if she continues to lie with the same excuse. Obviously she wouldn't drive all the way from her house to Chaeyeon's at ten in the evening just to have a stroll. Deciding that she shouldn't let her effort of wandering outside of Chaeyeon's house thinking if she should knock on the door and ask if she's alright. 

 

"I wanted to talk to you." 

"About?"

Eunbi gulped. She in a shaky breath, feeling constrict with whatever words that's going to slip off her lips.

"I...I was worried about you and wanted to check if you're alright." 

Halting their tracks, Chaeyeon blinks and stares at Eunbi wondering if had heard it correctly. 

"You came all the way here just to ask if I'm alright?" 

"Yeah?"

"You know you could have just texted me?"

 

Eunbi shrugged and continue walking, not wanting to let Chaeyeon see her coloured cheeks (though Chaeyeon had already seen it), "I know. But you can never tell one's expression online and who knows you may be lying to me that you're okay?"

Chaeyeon quickly catched up with short jogs and chuckled. 

 

"I didn't know you care so much for me." 

Eunbi tucked her chin in and just flash a slight warm smile towards the younger girl. 

 

Either did I expect myself to care so much for you, Chaeyeon. 

 

 

The two dancers are now sitting on the swing in the park while enjoying the ice cream that Eunbi treated for. Chaeyeon didn't know why but she enjoyed the calm slience between them ocassional chirppings from the crickets. Although the day had been hectic for her, she felt oddly peaceful with Eunbi's presence. The younger girl's lips curved up as she secretly stares at her crush enjoying her ice cream. 

 

Look at who is the kid now? Geez.

 

"Ugh." Chaeyeon sniffled a giggle at how the older girl whined and holds her head grimacing, "Why do you eat ice cream in a freezing weather?" 

Continue her half-eaten strawberry ice cream, Chaeyeon shrugs, "Ice cream is the best way to cheer yourself up." 

"That sounds like something a kid would say."

"Why do you keep referring to me as a kid?"

Though Chaeyeon was amused, she was also slightly offended at the same time. She's a grown woman who used to take care of her little siblings while their parents are out. Chaeyeon believes that she's mature for her age and when Eunbi keeps calling her a kid, she couldn't help but wonder if that's the image she gives others. She didn’t quite like it whenever people treats her this way.

Or maybe that's the reason why Eunbi isn't interested in dating her. 

 

"Because you're a kid." Eunbi jokes. 

"Is that why you rejected me?"

 

To say she was caught off guard was an understatement. Eunbi literally froze up, both from the coldness of the ice cream and the bitterness evident in the younger's tone. 

 

"You see me as a child? Am I too childish for you?" 

That joke escalated quickly. 

 

Eunbi shook her head instantly after recovering from the shock and wanted to reach out to hold Chaeyeon's hand but stopped herself. 

"No, I didn't mean it that way."

Still, it wasn't enough to convince the disappointment and sadness in Chaeyeon's orbs. 

 

"I like that you resemble a child..." Eunbi says sincerely, waiting for Chaeyeon to return the eyecontact before she continues. 

 

"You have a child-like innocence." 

She chuckles as she notice the frown between Chaeyeon's brows. Guiding her hand up to the taller's head, Eunbi gave her hair a soft ruffle and smiles broadly upon the tint of blush that was painted on Chaeyeon's chubby cheeks. 

 

"You're so innocent and pure that sometimes I wonder if you can survive in this dark and challenging society. You laugh over the smallest things and you even cry just because Yena stepped on a grasshopper and it died. Eventhough I do not know you as much as Sakura does nor do I know the sufferings you've been through with Minju. But there's just something that I've noticed about you."

"You are always putting others before you. Not to say that it's wrong. But sometimes you need to love and protect yourself too. If you keep wanting to please others and afraid that you might hurt their feelings, you will just end up hurting yourself even more.

 

Chaeyeon bite her tongue to stop herself from feeling too emotional over the older's words.

 

"Before you take care of people around you, make sure that you are in a good condition first." 

 

With how gentle and genuine Eunbi was with her words and stares, Chaeyeon couldn't help but get swayed away. Yet she was also puzzled at the same time.

 

One moment, Eunbi just pushes her away and telling her that she stands no chance with her. Now, she squarting infront of her and smiling so beautifully and looking at her with so much admiration. 

 

"You're confusing me, unnie." 

Eunbi chuckled light-heartedly, "I'm confused too."

 

"I can't promise you anything, Chaeyeon. Its the best for you to move on from me."

"I don't even know if I can do that, unnie."

"You deserves someone better." 

 

"You might be more comfortable in sharing your problems with Sakura, but if." Eunbi stressed, "If there's something that you can't tell Sakura, come to me." 

 

The hairs at the back of her neck and arms stood up. Chaeyeon couldn't figure out the unreadable expression of the older girl. 

 

"I'll be your secret guardian angel." 

 

And Eunbi continues to be a huge puzzle that Chaeyeon can't figure how to put the pieces together. 


 

 


 

Author's Note:

 

The next update would probably be months later since school has started for me :( I'll try to write bits and pieces here and there whenever I'm free and hopefully I would be able to squeeze it out soon hehe but no promise. 

There are more back stories that I have yet to reveal about each characters but I'm just curious about this question so I created a poll below.

 

Please share your choice! hehe

 

Just wanna know your opinion now and compare them later when the story line gets deeper XD