Chapter 8

Choices

Chapter 8

 

"I still love you unnie." Minju confessed, "I have never stopped."

"But what about you unnie? Is your heart still with me or has it moved on to another person?" 

 

Chaeyeon froze up, her eyes darting everywhere nervously because of Minju's question. 

 

"Answer me honestly." 

The older girl sighs and placed her utensils down, "Minju. My feelings for you never left." 

 

"You're my first love afterall. They always say you will remember your first love. I guess its true. I still think about you a lot espeically when I visit places where we used to frequent in. I would cry myself to bed while flipping through the pictures we took on our date and I could really feel your absence in my life while we were separated.

 

"I really missed you alot."

 

Her heart picked up its speed at Chaeyeon's words, "D-Does this means...?" 

 

"Minju-yah, its true that I still have feelings for you but I have to also admit that I have another person who is slowly filling up the emptiness you left me for that one year." 

 

Chaeyeon had to tell the truth to Minju. It wasn't like her heart had completely closed up and reserved for Minju. There were voids in her heart when she left Minju and there was indeed someone who was slowly helping her to move on. 

 

At that, the younger's heart dropped to the end of the pit. 

 

"W-Who?" 

"Is it Sakura unnie?" 

 

Chaeyeon shook her head, "Its only recently she confessed to me. All along I only treated her as my bestfriend." 

"It's Eunbi unnie."

 

Minju clenched her fist. Of course it had to be Eunbi. Though she only met the older girl a few times, Minju could tell that Eunbi is popular among girls. Eunbi was the one who went in and comforted Chaeyeon too when she first when to look for Chaeyeon. She recalled how Eunbi looked so worried when Chaeyeon turned her back and wanted to run away from the cafeteria. 

 

"Oh... Does she knows?" By then, Minju already had lost her appetite. 

 

"Yes. But I guess she does not like me?" Chaeyeon smiles bitterly. The younger girl snapped her head away from her plate and look at Chaeyeon with a pair of surprised eyes, "Huh? She rejected you?" 

 

Minju would never guess that there would be a day where Chaeyeon would get rejected by someone. She was almost certain that Eunbi likes Chaeyeon back too. 

 

"Yeah, she said she's not ready for committment." Chaeyeon shrugged, "But I don't know. She kept giving me mixed signals. Saying that she's not ready for a relationship asking me to move on from her then suddenly appearing next to me, comforting me and cheering me up."

 

Chaeyeon chuckled and shook her head, "How am I suppose to move on from her if she keeps doing this?" 

 

"Do you really like her alot?" 

"I've a crush on her since freshman year." 

 

Minju just nodded and glance at Chaeyeon, nibbling on her lower lips. 

 

"Unnie." 

"Hm?" 

"Let's try this again, can we?" 

 

The younger girl guided her hand over to Chaeyeon's and held it softly, "It will be too much to ask you to get back together with me again now since I suddenly have another 2 rivals. But I just wish that you will reconsider us again and not label me as your past..." 

 

"But Minju, I...I can't promise you anything."

"...I don't care, unnie. Just don't push me away again."

 

***

 

After breakfast, the pair decided to visit some places where they went before. 

 

"Do you remember this place?" Minju questioned when they enter a dog cafe. A smile immediately fell on Chaeyeon's lips as she nodded and picked up the corgi that ran towards her the moment that walked in. Chaeyeon laughed heartedly when the little pup her face, "Hey, Brownie, long time no see." 

 

Minju smiles fondly at the sight of her ex-girlfriend playing with the dogs. Chaeyeon had always love dog and so did she. There were times where their dates included going for volunteering works to help out the stray dogs. Minju had frequent this place when Chaeyeon left, hoping that Chaeyeon would visit as well. 

 

"I've never been here for a year already but you still remember me huh?" Chaeyeon grins widely as Brownie never leaves her lap, snuggling against her. The corgi was found by Chaeyeon in the drain, abandoned. She couldn't raise another one since she already had 2 at home and so she brought Brownie to this cafe.

 

"Chaeyeon??"

"Nayeon unnie!" The said girl immediately rans to the younger girl and engulfed her in a hug, "Yah! You brat! How come you never once come visit us for a year! Even Minju comes every week to check on Brownie." 

 

The bunny-look alike girl was Chaeyeon's close sunbae in middle school and her family owns a dog cafe so she had requested a favour from Nayeon back then to take care of Brownie. Back then, Minju and Chaeyeon would always visit after school with Nayeon to the cafe to play with Brownie. But after their graduation, Nayeon only sees Minju visiting and it was obvious that something bad happened between the couple. 

 

Minju nodded and puffed her cheeks, pointing at the corgi still lying on Chaeyeon, "But Brownie still likes Chaeyeon unnie. My efforts for that year means nothing huh." 

 

"Well, I'm the orginal owner afterall." Chaeyeon chuckled and kisses Brownie before asking him to go to Minju. To their surprise, Brownie actually follows Chaeyeon's command and went to Minju, showing his affections to her as if asking her not to be jealous. Minju's heart melted and picked up Brownie, showering his face with pecks.

 

Nayeon looks at the sight in front of her fondly. It's been really long since she had seen Chaeyeon and let alone the sight of the ex-lovers laughing and playing together. It was rather nostalgic and sad but Nayeon wasn't one to poke on other people's business. 

 

"Good to see you guys again, need any drinks? Its on me." Nayeon offered. 

"Yes, I missed you signature green tea macchiato." Chaeyeon grinned widely and looked at Minju, "I guess its still ice mocha for you?" 

Minju blushed slightly when Chaeyeon remembers whats her favourite drink in this cafe. She nodded and looked at Nayeon who casted her a flirty smile before leaving them alone to prepare their drinks. 

 

"Wah, it's been really long man." Chaeyeon chuckled, leaning against the head rest while tossing the tennis ball for Brownie to play fetch with. Minju nodded, "Brownie seems really happy to see you." 

 

Brownie barked at her when Chaeyeon didn't take the tennis ball from his mouth. 

 

"Bet he missed me." Chaeyeon smiles and threw the ball again, "So you always came here huh?" 

 

"Yeah, I just thought that you might visit here someday. But you never did." 

Chaeyeon sighs and looked at Brownie then Minju, "I was busy with school matters. You know it was pretty difficult fitting in to new environment and it's pretty far from here too." 

 

"You know, unnie. I've been thinking if I should take Brownie home with me."

"For? Don't your parents dislike dogs?"

"So I have more excuses to ask you out." 

 

Chaeyeon rolled her eyes at Minju's reason and slapped her lap lightly, "yah, don't get into trouble with your parents okay?" 

"Geez, I won't. To be honest, they want to see you too." 

"Huh? Don't lie. I bet they hate me for making their daughter cry." 

 

Minju nodded and glared at her, "You really did and there was once where they wanted to go up to your house and fight you but you moved and yeah, if not you would be killed by now." 

"and you still say they miss me?" 

 

The younger girl shrugged, "I told them the truth about what happened with Yujin." 

"Were they mad at Yujin?"

"Yeah but well, what done is done. They got over it when I told them that Yujin was just still young and didn't know what she was doing." 

 

Chaeyeon smiles, "You are really kind, Kim Minju."

"That's why you fell in love with me, right?" 

"Yeah." 

 

***

 

They spent the whole evening in the cafe catching up with Brownie and Nayeon. Before they knew it, it was already time for Nayeon to do closing. Which meant, time to part ways. 

 

"Yah, you brat better make sure you come visit us often okay?" Nayeon glared at her when she pulled away from the hug, "Don't leave Brownie alone waiting for you another year again." 

 

Chaeyeon laughs and nodded, caressing the corgi in her arms who seemed like he knew that his owner is leaving soon and started whinning. 

 

"I love you Brownie, I promise I will be back soon to visit you okay?" Chaeyeon kisses Brownie before placing him down on the floor and pointed to where the rest of the dogs were, "Now go back and play with your friends. If not you will become a outcast." 

 

Bronwie bark at her once before running back to his friends quickly. 

 

"Wow, he really listens to you." Minju mused, "He never listens to Nayeon unnie."

"He doesn't listen to you too." Nayeon fires back and folded her arms. 

 

Chaeyeon smiles and got back up on her feet, "It was nice seeing you again unnie. I will come back soon." 

"Yeah, get home safe." Nayeon stand by the entrance and watch the pair leave with a heavy heart. 

 

"Yah you two!" She suddenly calls out. Chaeyeon and Minju halted their tracks and looked at Nayeon with their brows raised. 

 

"I was nice seeing you two together again! I missed our school's favourite OTP!" 

 

With that, Nayeon laughed teasingly and got back in the cafe, leaving the other two to blush.  

 

Chaeyeon chuckled and shook her head, "C'mon let's get the princess back to her castle." 

 

The younger girl smiled at that sentence. It was something that Chaeyeon always said to her at the end of their dates. 

 

I missed this.


 

***

 

Minju felt disappointed when they were near her neighbourhood. It was one of the best day she ever had after Chaeyeon left and she wasn't ready for the day to end yet. She wanted to spend more time with Chaeyeon. So she grabbed Chaeyeon's forearm and stopped the older girl from walking further.

 

"What's wrong?" Chaeyeon questioned.

"Erm, I'm craving for ice cream. Should we go get some from the convenience store?" 

 

Chaeyeon knew that Minju didn't want to go home yet and nodded, smiling when the younger girl broke into a bright wide grin and started tugging to the opposite direction. 

 

"What do you want to eat?" Minju asked while browsing through the different types of ice cream. 

 

Chaeyeon's eyes landed on the strawberry flavoured ice cream. It immediately reminded her of Eunbi. The night where she came over to find her just check up on her and complained how her teeth was freezing because of the coldness. 

 

"Why are you giggling to yourself, unnie?" 

 

The older girl snapped out of her trance and shook her head before taking what Minju chose. She needs to stop thinking about Eunbi.

 

"Nothing, let's go." 

 

After they paid of the ice ream, the pair walked out of the store with smiles plastered on their lips. 

 

"It was fun today, thank you unnie." Minju says, as they slowly strolled back to the younger's house, "This won't be the last time right?" 

 

Chaeyeon smiles and ruffled Minju's hair, "I had fun too and yeah remember? I promise Nayeon unnie to visit Brownie soon. You've got to come with me. If not I bet she will ask where you go."

 

"Guess Brownie will be a reason bring us back together again." Minju joked. 

 

They were nearing Minju's place already and Chaeyeon was about to bid goodbye to the younger girl when suddenly she felt a peck on her cheeks.

 

"We can't leave it out right?" Minju smiles bashfully and hugged Chaeyeon, "I really miss you." 

 

Chaeyeon gulped and felt her cheeks heating as she caressed Minju's hair and nodded, holding her closer. It felt as if they just travelled back to the time where they were still lovers who had just finished their date and didn't want to let each other go. 

 

"I missed you too." Chaeyeon says softly, pulling away and giggling at the flustered Minju. She pat on her hair gently, "Go back now and have a good rest okay?" 

 

"Okay unnie. Text me when you reach ho   "

 

Minju didn't get to complete her sentence when suddenly they heard a loud piercing scream not far away from them. 

 

"Let me go!" 

 

With their brows furrowed, they saw a girl struggling to get away from a man's strong grip beside a branded car.

 

"What the hell is wrong with you, Kim Donghyun! Let lost! I'm not going to agree to it!" 

"You can't escape from this, Kwon." 

 

Chaeyeon narrowed her eyes to get a clearer vision of the happening infront of her before letting out a gasp. 

 

"Eunbi unnie?" She muttered under her breath. Minju heard her clearly and before she could question Chaeyeon, the said girl suddenly pulled her and ran to her house before pushing her in.

 

"Minju rest well okay? I will text you later!"

 

Then she was off hot on her tracks, probably running back to Eunbi. She was worried for Chaeyeon and wanted to go after her as well but at the same time she knew that the older woman wouldn't like her to be hurt. 

 

She could only bite on her lower lips and hope that Chaeyeon wouldn't get hurt.

 

 

***

 

"Who the heck are you?!" Chaeyeon glared at the guy whom she just pushed away from Eunbi and pulled the appalled girl behind her protectively. 

 

"Who are you?" The guy questioned back. 

 

Eunbi grabbed Chaeyeon's hand and tugged it, "What are you doing here, Chae?" 

 

"Ah. You are Chaeyeon?" The guy tilted his head to the side in amusement, "That girl who Eunbi lik   "

"   Shut it, Kim Donghyun. She has nothing to do with my decision." 

 

The black-haired exclaimed and pull Chaeyeon away, standing infront of her in defensive stance. Donghyun quirked a brow and lean against his car, "Looks like you care about her a lot huh, Eun." 

 

Eunbi clenched her fist and stared daggers at Donghyun, "I already told you that I'm just doing whatever my parents wanted that's why I agree with the arrangement but I changed my mind. I'm not going to follow through the whole thing. Just drop it, Donghyun. We are impossible."

 

Donghyun scoffed and looked at the black-haired in determination then stares at Chaeyeon who was lost in the midst of their arguement.

 "I know your weakness now, Eun. Becareful." 

 

With that, he enter his car and drove off. When his car was no longer visable, Eunbi felt her knees trembling and she almost fell if not for Chaeyeon's fast reflexes. 

 

"Are you okay?" 

Eunbi nodded and composed herself before glaring at the younger girl, "What are you doing here? You are not suppose to be here, Chaeyeon." 

"I...I was just sending Minju home then I saw you struggling with him." 

 

So she was out with Minju huh? 

 

"On a date?" 

"Kind of."

"That's good." Eunbi nodded, "Thanks for the help eventhough it wasn't needed." She then started walking away, but Chaeyeon grabbed her arm. 

 

"Who is he?"

Eunbi sighs, "Someone." 

"Is your parents forcing you to be with him?

"No."

"It certainly sounded like that with your conversation with him just now." 

 

The senior snorted and yanked her arm away, "It's none of your business, Chaeyeon." 

"What?" 

"You heard that, Chaeyeon. Whatever that is between me and Donghyun is none of your business." 

 

Eunbi stressed and turned her back against Chaeyeon before attempting to walk away. But Chaeyeon's soft voice called her out again. 

 

"Then what does he mean by that?" 

"By what?" 

"That I'm the girl that you like." 

 

The older girl froze up on her spot. Chaeyeon balled her fist and walked towards Eunbi. She stared at the older girl who was clearly panicking but trying hard to not be obvious about her feelings. 

 

"Do you like me, Kwon Eunbi?" Chaeyeon questioned. 

Eunbi looked away and scoffed, "It doesn't matter."

"It does!" Chaeyeon exclaimed, grabbing Eunbi by her shoulder preventing her from attempting to leave. 

 

"It doesn't." Eunbi insist, "You have Minju now. Just reconcile with her, Chae. She's the best for you." 

Chaeyeon narrowed her eyes, "The best for me? Who are you to decide what is the best for me?" 

 

Eunbi clicked her tongue, "Yep, I'm nobody. We are nothing so lets not poke our noses into each other's business anymore." 

"Nothing huh?"

"Move on, Chaeyeon." Eunbi stepped away, causing Chaeyeon's loosen grip to fall into the cold air. 

 

"What about being my guardian angel?!" 

Chaeyeon swollowed her tears back, turning her body to see Eunbi's back against her. 

 

"I'm sad now. Aren't you going to comfort me?" 

"No." Eunbi says softly but Chaeyeon was able to pick up her words that pierced her heart.

 

"Your guardian angel can't comfort you anymore. She doesn't know how."

"Why?"

"She doesn't even know how to fix her broken self. How can she comfort you?" 

 


Author's Note:

Sorry for the long wait guys :/