Chapter 3

Choices

Chapter 3

 

Red bean water. 

It all started with an exhausted Chaeyeon walking out of the cafeteria with her energy drink. With exams around the corner, the poor senior had been staying up late at night to finish up her revisions. 

After sleepless nights, Chaeyeon’s energy depleted completely. She could hardly focus on her history paper earlier on and almost fell asleep. She was totally out of her mind that she almost forgotten which class was she in while filling up the front page of the exam paper. 

Though, she’s completely awake now that the precious red bean water that she hardly had a sip on, were now stained on her uniform. 

 

Can her day get any worser?

 

”Oh my gosh! I-I’m so sorry!!!” 

 

Even though she wasn’t in her best mood, Chaeyeon still managed to force a smile and swollow her annoyance in. With one hand still wrapped around her almost emptied cup, her other hand tries to swat off the dripping liquid on her shirt. 

 

“Its okay.” 

“No no oh where is my handkerchief...?” 

Chaeyeon looks up and saw a black-haired girl frantically rampaging her bag. Once found, the careless girl swiftly pressed her handkerchief on the areas that Chaeyeon’s shirt was stained. 

 

“I-I’m so so so sorry, Chaeyeon sunbaenim!” 

The senior widen her eyes in surprise when she realise who was the one who bumped onto her and ruined her neatly ironed uniform.

”Kim Minju?”

The said girl paused her actions and glanced at the taller girl with her rabbit round eyes, “H-How did you know my name?” 

Chaeyeon chuckled slightly at the appalled junior of hers. Taking the handkerchief from its owner, Chaeyeon begin to wipe her shirt herself. 

“Shouldn’t I be asking you that question instead? Don’t you know that you’re pretty popular in school?” 

“M-Me?” The senior nodded slightly at the bashful girl.

Chaeyeon recalls last year how the whole school went into a big whoo-ha when Minju was transferred to their school. Everyone, both girls and boys all admired her angelic beauty. The innocent aura that she execute and the elegance that surrounds her. No doubt, she was one of the most popular new kid in town and Chaeyeon have to admit that the girl infront of her is indeed drop-dead gorgeous. Even more prettier up close.

 

”You are pretty famous for your dancing too, sunbae. I-I’m a fan of yours!” 

Minju just smiles sheepishly while her fingers fumbled at the end of her shirt. Her cheeks starting to flare pink whle watching her senior getting rid of her red bean water.

”What an honor.” Chaeyeon laughs, trying to make the apologetic junior more comfortable, “My other dance friends are going to be so jealous if I tell them that Kim Minju is a fan of mine.”

 

Minju grins and shakes her head before bowing a little and apologies again.

 

”I’m really sorry, I should have watched my steps.” 

“Nah, its fine. No worries, i have spare gym clothes in my locker.” Minju heave a sigh of relief at how easy-going Chaeyeon was despite being a grade higher than her. 

She heard stories from her friends who had shared about their bad experiences with rude seniors and she’s thankful that Chaeyeon isn’t one of those stuck up and arrogant senior.

 

 

***

 

 

Chaeyeon stood aimlessly in the middle of the junior’s hallway. Trying to crack her neck and look through each window to find out which class Minju was in. However, her efforts were futile and she couldn’t find which class the girl was in. So she opted to just wait for her at the side of the entrance. Chaeyeon hopes that their classes are going to end soon so she do not need to stand there like a stupid bodyguard or something. 

 

“Unnie?” Upon the familar voice, Chaeyeon whipped her head to the side and found her younger sister looking at her, puzzled. 

“Chaeryung.” 

“Why are you standing here?” She questioned walking closer to her sister and smirked, “Are you waiting for me?”

The older sibling rolled her eyes and jokingly pushed Chaeryung’s head lightly, “As if I would.” 

The shorter girl grumbled, “Then why are you here at the juniors’ hallway?”

Chaeyeon holds up the newly washed handkerchief, “I need to return this to Minju.”

”Minju?” Chaeryung’s eyes doubled in size as her hand covers , “As in that Kim Minju?” 

Chaeyeon nodded and the latter starts slapping her arm asking how she befriended the popular girl. In defence, Chaeyeon holds her hands up high to stop her sister’s ramblings. 

“She bumped onto me yesterday and spilled drinks onto my shirt. Thats all. You need to take a chill pill.” Chaeyeon shakes her head at the fangirl and sighed, “Anyway, do you know which class is she in and when will she end class?” 

Chaeryung turned her back and pointed to the far end of the hall, “She’s right at the end. And i think she’s not going to end that early. We have chemistry lesson together. So i guess an hour later?” 

The older sister groaned. She promised to have lunch with Sakura and her bestfriend’s class is going to end soon. 

 

“Can you help me pass this to her?” Chaeyeon gave her sister the handkerchief which made Chaeryung panic a little.

”Why me?!” 

“Because you’re my sister and help me say thank you to her.”

“Geez, fine you owe me one.”

 

 

***

 

 

“So why did you go to the juniors’ side earlier on?” Sakura questioned her bestfriend as they walked to the gates of the school together. 

Chaeyeon shrugged, “Remember yesterday I told you how my shirt was ruined because someone bumped onto me and make me spill my red bean water onto my uniform? She helped me to wipe my uniform with her handkerchief so I went there and return it to her after washing it of course.”

“It was a junior?”

”Yep. Do you know Kim Minju?” 

Sakura rolled her eyes up and pondered for a moment before snapping her fingers, “Ah! That pretty transferred student? The shy popular girl?”

”Yeah, she’s the one.”

 “Ooohhh. Is she really pretty? I’ve never seen her face to face before.” 

Chaeyeon the remembered how the junior’s sparkling big eyes were, her cute button nose and her thin luscious lips that fits perfectly in her small face. Also, not the forgot the innocent aura she possessed. 

She totally understands why Minju was popular amongst the students.

”Yeah, she’s really pretty up close.” Chaeyeon smiles, “and she’s really innocent. Kinda remind me or a bunny or a sheep even.” 

“Seems like she’s a nice kid.”

 Chaeyeon second that. 

They were about to walk out of the school compound when a voice halted their steps.

”Sunbae!” Both of them turned around to the small pretty voice and saw the topic of their conversation running towards them. 

 

Chaeyeon blinks in confusion, “Minju?” 

The said girl bend over and grabbed her knees, trying to calm herself down after running all the way from her chemistry class. 

“Why did you run?”

”I-I wanted to thank you.” 

“Huh?”

 

Minju break into a wide grin and waved her handkercheif in the air.

”For returning this to me.” 

“You ran all the way here just to thank me for this?” 

 

Minju nodded innocently and Chaeyeon couldn’t help but chuckle at how adorable the younger girl was.

 

”You’re cute.”

 

 

***

 

 

Since then, Chaeyeon noticed how frequently they would bump onto each other and would enjoy the cafeteria’s red bean water together. Sharing about their days and learning more about one another. Chaeyeon found out how Minju wasn’t only pretty on the outside, but also beautiful inside. She was so innocent. So pure and just like a little sheep that she wants to protect. 

At some point of time, Chaeyeon realised how Minju’s smile to always make her heart flutter. Although she’s naturally caring, she doesn’t deny that she gets more protective over her junior. 

She was certain that she took a liking to Minju and even told her bestfriend about it.

 

”What do you think about Minju?”

”Who? That junior who you ditched me for?”

”Ehy you are still salty over that?”

”Tell me which bestfriend wouldn’t feel betrayed over that.”

”No worries, you will always be my bestfriend! Besides Minju wont be my bestfriend anyway.”

”Why not? You might just replace me for her anytime.”

”You are irreplaceable and Minju will be my girlfriend!” 

“Y-Your what?”

”Girlfriend!!!”

 

After knowing and hanging out with Minju for over six months, Chaeyeon was sure that she wants to ask Minju out officially. Furthermore, she had already gotten the approval from her bestfriend. So what can possible go wrong?

 

 

“Will you go out with me, Minju-ya?”

”I was just wondering when would you ask me out unnie.” 

 

Nothing went wrong.

 

Because Kim Minju aka the popular girl in their school actually agreed to go out with her. They naturally bcame official after some dates and Chaeyeon was truely happy. Before she knew her personally, Chaeyeon thought that Minju is that shy and calm girl who likes having alone time. But once she get to know her, Chaeyeon crowned Minju as the funniest person in the universe. 

She's a living meme. 

Chaeyeon thought it sort of ruin her pretty face, however at the same time, it made Minju ten or hundred times cuter than she already was. The younger girl do not have to do anything much and Chaeyeon would still be laughing at her and smiling so much till her cheeks and jaws were always hurting at the end of the day. 

 

Their relationship was so steady that Chaeyeon even imagined them going to the same highschool and university. 

 

“Minju-yaaa!!”

”Why are you so happy today?” 

“When am I not happy when I’m with you?”

”Geez, sweet talker.”

”Do you not feel the same way?”

”Of course I do feel the same unnie. I still want to be with you and laugh my days away with you even after graduating from middle school, high school and university.” 

 

So Chaeyeon thought that they would last forever. 

But maybe she expected too much from a middle-school relationship.

Or maybe she was just too naive to think that Minju was as happy as her in their relationship. 

Because the last time she checked, Minju was crying badly in the arms of others and comforted by someone else other than her. Chaeyeon wouldn’t mind if it was a friendly gesture but her heart certainly broke into piece when that intruder kisses Minju that night.

 

 

***

 

 

Those memories that Chaeyeon thought she had forgotten was actually just barely burried some where in her brain. Just by the mere appearance of her ex-girlfriend, everything resurfaced. 

Millions of questions now running through her brain as she pulls her knee up to her chest and closes her eyes. Why did she suddenly apear again? Why after a year? Why now when she's finally moved on from her? 

 

Chaeyeon was so deep in her thoughts that she didn't even realised that someone had entered the dance studio till she felt a tap on her shoulder. She looks up and saw Eunbi staring down at her worriedly. 

 

"Are you okay?" 

It would be a lie if she say she was, so Chaeyeon just remained mum and stared ahead of her. Gazing at their reflection off the mirror. She could see how Eunbi's face fell when she ignored her. Though she felt guilty, but she wasn't in the mood to be talking to anyone and that incldues Eunbi eventhough she does have a soft spot for the older girl. 

 

After a minute of slience, Chaeyeon thought the senior was going to give up and leave her alone. But instead, Eunbi kneeled down infront of her and hugged her gently, patting on her hair. That action made Chaeyeon realised that she needed someone to lean on for now. So she clutched on Eunbi's shirt tightly and rested her head against the vice-captain's chest. 

 

"She's outside waiting for you." Eunbi says, after a few minutes of comforting her junior, "Do you want me to ask her to leave you alone for now? Or are you okay with speaking to her because I doubt she's going to leave any time sooner." 

 

Chaeyeon sighs and pulls away, and muttered a soft thank you to the older girl. Eunbi smiles softly and shook her head, caressing the younger's cheek affectionately, "The team is actually outside too but they are scared to enter after seeing you walking away so coldly."

Right her crew members saw everything. 

"So sorry." Chaeyeon apologized, "It should have been an happy meal." 

"No it's not your fault. We are just shocked thats all." Eunbi assured.

Afterall, it was really the first time they had seen Chaeyeon having such an emotionless face without that wide grin plastered on her lips. So it wasn't that difficult to understand that the new girl might have some beef with their main dancer. 

 

Chaeyeon slaps herself lightly then stood up to her feet, "Please continue with the trainings first, I will join you all later." 

"You're going to talk to her?" Eunbi questioned with her brows furrowed, "Are you sure? You look really unstable right now." 

The dancer stares at herself in the mirror and noticed how pale she had gotten in a short span of half an hour. Eunbi was right to say that she wasn't in the right condition to be handling the mess that is present right now. 

Albeit she was affected by the sudden appearence of her ex, Chaeyeon was more curious of the reason why Minju had decided to find her in her school or even knew which school she was in. Since that night, Chaeyeon had cut all of the contacts away from Minju and she ensured that everything about Minju remains far away from her. 

 

"I'm fine. I just have a few questions for her." Chaeyeon replies and made her way to the door. 

Once she pulls the door open, she finds Yena and a few others shierking as their bodies got pulled along with the door. Chaeyeon quirked a brow at them as they only flash their awkward foolish smiles back.

 

"H-Hi, Chaeyeon." 

"Geez breathe, Goyu." Chaeyeon wants to laugh badly as how all the crew members seems to concious around her. They faces look constipated, as if afraid that they might push the wrong button. 

At that light chuckle from their main dancer, all of their heave a sigh of relief before remembering about the new girl that was standing behind them remaining slient. 

 

Chaeyeon made an eyecontact with Minju for a second then direct it back to her members. 

 

"Get your in and practice. I will be in to check on your formations in minutes." 

Though they were curious and worried for Chaeyeon, the team nodded and scurries their way into the studio leaving Chaeyeon alone with Minju.

 

Once the coast was clear, Chaeyeon walked closer to Minju who was still looking at her with her pure and innocent eyes. 

"Hey." Chaeyeon pressed a small smile, "It's been long."

Minju just nods and slience ensues. 

 

Okay this is just plainly getting awkward.

 

"What brings you here?" 

Both of them went to bench right beside and studio and sat beside each other with an obvious gap in between them. 

 

Minju gulped and blinks, "I...I just wanted to see you." 

Chaeyeon could see right through the lie and sigh, "Just tell me the truth. I have no time to deal with this, Minju. I have a training to go to." 

The younger girl looks down on her lap and clenched her teeth, "I want to ask you something." 

 

"What is it?"

"Why did you leave me without saying anything?" Minju questioned, not daring to look at Chaeyeon right in eyes so she stared nervously ahead instead. 

Chaeyeon frowned, "What do you mean?"

 

"I don't know, unnie. It's just one day I found out that you were avoiding me in school. I thought it was because of your finals thats why I didn't bother you." Minju recounted, "But then... exams were long over and you didn't even contact me. I sensed that something was off so I texted you and even called you." 

 

Her hands balled up into a fist, "None of those were answered. Then I thought that you might lost your phone somewhere like a klutz you are. So I waited for you outside the hall nervously during your results day. I wanted to congratulate you for graduating and have dinner together."

 

Minju recalls how the bouquet of flower she prepared for ended up in the trash bin and her handwritten letter still kept and locked in her safe box in her room. 

"I waited for an hour but I didn't see you at all. Graduation just ended like that and I don't even know how well you fared and did you get into your dream school but    " Minju breaks into a proud smile, "I guess you did." 

While Minju was in her own bubble, recounting the past year, she had failed to notice the evident frown on the older's face. 

 

"Wait a minute." Chaeyeon interrupts, "What I get from your side is that I literally left you without telling you why?" 

Minju nodded slightly, "Yea. Although I didn't know what's the reason behind your decision, I thought I should just wait for you to return back to me like how you promised me back then. That no matter how busy you get, you will still come back to me."

 

"Days passed, weeks passed, months passed and so quickly a year passed." Minju voiced cracked a little, as she held her tears back. 

"I couldn't take it anymore, so I came to find you."

 

The frown etched on Chaeyeon since the minute Minju spoke didn't left her face at all. Instead, it only grew deeper and she needed even more answers to her new set of questions. 

 

"Minju." Chaeyeon was beyond confused, "I...I didn't left you without a word."

 

"You're the one who didn't turn up at the cafeteria.

 

 

***

 

 

Deep in her thoughts, Chaeyeon didn't even realised that someone was quietly jogging behind her back preparing for a jump scare. Her thoughts were just all over the place. With her upcoming competition, situation with her vice-captain and her sudden reappearance of her ex that totally shook her mind. 

Anyone who is currently in her place would surely be as lost as she's feeling right now. 

When everything you thought it was, wasn't entirely the truth.

And the feeling of wronging someone and hurting that person. 

 

In one evening, Chaeyeon turned from being the victim to being the bad guy. 

 

Conflicted. Indeed. 

 

"BOOO!" 

If it was like any other normal days, Chaeyeon would have screamed her heads off and scolded her bestfriends for scaring her like this. The slight boo was only able to pull her out of her trance. She just stares blankly at Sakura who immediately knew something was off. 

 

"What happened?" Sakura grabbed her wrist and stopped her from her steps. 

There were many things that Chaeyeon wanted to spill to her bestfriend - the only person who is able to listen to her and help her like alway. But it was at the tip of her tongue and it was too much for Chaeyeon to process that she do not know where to start from. Sakura seemed to understand that and tries to throw out guesses. 

 

"Is it because of your competition?"

Chaeyeon shakes her head. 

"Eunbi-chan?" 

Another shake.

"Test?" 

A few other guesses and all were wrong. 

 

Now Sakura is getting more worried and intrigued. 

 

What can possibly make Chaeyeon get so stressed up? 

 

"I give up, I'm running out of possible ideas." 

 

Chaeyeon sighs heavily. 

 

"Minju came and look for me." 

 

At the least expected name being mentioned, Sakura felt her heart dropped down to the pits of hell. 

"W-What?"

"What did she want?" 

"She wants to get back together with me." 

 

Her heart picked up its speed and she started breaking out in cold sweat. 

When she thought Eunbi was the only threat for now. But her bestfriend slash five years crush's ex girlfriend suddenly turned up? 

 

"I...I really don't know what to do now , Sakura." Chaeyeon shut her eyes and bends her body to lean her head on the shorter's shoulder, "I misunderstood her. I hurt her."

 

"I'm the bad guy." 

 

 

 


 

Author's Note:

This chapter is mainly about Chaeju and the short process of how they got together and stuffs. Some of you may already get the gist of the situation between Minju and Chaeyeon. It mean it pretty cliche and predictable but sometimes i feel that its okay to be cliche and simple rather than having a whole weird plot and not knowing how to end it XD 

Anyway, I wanted to include Sakura's confession in this chapter too. But putting myself in Chaeyeon's shoes,  would probably end up getting crazy with having to process so much thoughts and information in an evening hehe. 

Honestly, I didn't expect so much love and attention for this fic so really thanks for all the support and the lovely comments from you guys! 

 

PS: I understand that you guys have different ships that you want them to end up tgt with at the end of this fic. But I would really really appreciate if you don't get offended or displeased with whatever pairing I choose to end with XD I don't really want to write with the pressure of ending the fic with the most popular ship or smth. If you guys get what I mean keke