Chapter 2

Choices

Chapter 2

 

 

”Good evening! I’m Lee Chaeyeon. Freshman year  from class 4.” 

There were quite a few outstanding dancers out of the freshmen who auditioned.

But Lee Chaeyeon had stood out amongst all for Eunbi. 

Her moves were swift, gentle, sharp yet powerful. It had been long since anyone had impressed Eunbi with their performances. Being a great dancer herself and having a deep pride in her own skills, Eunbi seldom get in in someone else’s performance.

Yet, Chaeyeon not only have the skills but the overall aura and stage presence that was able to pull her in. Eunbi was pretty sure she’s not the only who got too engrossed in the freshman performance. Because the whole crew went slient for a few seconds after the music stops and after a good 30 seconds, the whole crew including participants stood up in ovation.

 

Right after the audition ended, Kaeun and herself had immediately went after the talented dancer and asked her to join them for the next session.

”I thought the results will be only out tomorrow?”

”Ehyy thats right. But I we just want to quickly get you into your crew before the singing club does.” Kaeun says. 

Chaeyeon widen her eyes in surprise, “H-How did you know I tried out for the singing club?” 

“Ah, I’m close with the president of the singing club. You made quite a good impression on Haeyoon and she came running to me saying she had a few good canidates which includes you.” 

Chaeyeon blushed at the compliment and shake her head, “I’m not that good.” 

Eunbi was surprised. 

She thought that with the skills that Chaeyeon has, the younger girl might be an egoist. But surprisingly not. 

 

In fact, she’s an...idiot.

 

”S-Sorry?” 

“Can I have your phone number?” Eunbi repeated at the puzzled expression planted on Chaeyeon’s face.

”I mean I have to message you the venue and timing for our session.” 

Upon realisation, Chaeyeon frantically tries to look for her phone. 

It was cute. 

Seeing the freshman trying to hard and even dropped her books in the midst of finding it. 

 

“Sorry. Here.” Chaeyeon smiles sheepishly and Eunbi could only think of how cute the the awkward piece of block was. 

“Relex, I’m a kind vice-captain. I don’t bite.” Eunbi chuckled and starts dialing her own number on Chaeyeon’s phone before calling.

 

Her phone starts ringing. Eunbi smiles and returns the phone to the younger girl and winked at her.

 

”Look forward to dancing with you, Chaeyeon.”

 

 

***

 

 

Chaeyeon wished that she have the super power to control time so that she can rewind back 10 mintues earlier and agree to go back home with her bestfriend. Instead of being stuck here at the back gateway of the resturant with her crush who was just leaning against the wall, fumbling with the ends of her sleeves. 

Eventhough the lights were dimmed and Chaeyeon could hardly see the latter’s face, she could still feel herself gasping in adoration whenever Eunbi would look up alittle, allowing the street lamp to shine upon her flawless features. 

 

“So...What did you want to talk about?” Eunbi asked, pushing herself off the wall and looked at the younger girl.

Now that she could properly see Eunbi clearly, Chaeyeon’s mind went blank. Eunbi had that effect on her. She could only blink and look at everywhere except Eunbi’s face as she tries to compose herself and shoot her questions.

 

”Are you and Sakura really just bestfriends?” 

“Huh?” 

Eunbi shrugs, “You two just seems to give off the vibe.” 

“What vibe?”

”That you two are more than bestfriends.” 

 

Chaeyeon took her time to process Eunbi’s words. When she finally understood what the older girl meant, Chaeyeon immediately widen her eyes and asked to confirm her doubts.

 

“Are you saying that we look like a couple or something?” 

The brunette nodded and Chaeyeon laughed awkwardly, “Ah...No... We are really just bestfriends.” 

Not believing her, Eunbi narrowed her eyes and stared at the fidgeting Chaeyeon, “You look like you’re lying. Besides, I won’t be surprised if you two dated before. Although I don’t know Sakura well, I could tell that she’s a charmer.” 

Chaeyeon bites on her lower lips, “You are not wrong. I mean, at a point of time I think I was interested in her.” 

It wasn’t like the possibility of dating Sakura didn’t cross her mind. Especially when the older girl were there beside her, caring for her and making her laugh during her darkest moment. Sakura have been nothing but the nicest and kindest person to her. With that sweet personality, attractions were easily developed. She felt that attraction strongly two months after her first heart break. 

Maybe it was through that tough period that Chaeyeon got to experience being taken care of by Sakura and getting touched by the older’s actions and words. Everyday, without fail Sakura would be there to remind her how it was her ex-girlfriend's loss to break up with her. All of her meals were taken care by Sakura and she was there to distract her, helping her to forget the pain inflicted in her heart. 

 

However, Chaeyeon quickly shut off that slight attraction feeling of hers.

Firstly, it was just an attraction that she felt all of a sudden. Secondly, she felt like they were better off as bestfriends. They know about each other too much already. Lastly, she didn’t want to make Sakura a rebound and hurt her at the end of the day.

 

“And...?”

”It was just a short period, but i felt that we are much better off as friends.” Chaeyeon explains, while Eunbi had that doubt plastered on her face. 

“Why?” 

 

Why does Eunbi wants further more explanation when she was suppose to be the one getting explanations and answers? 

Chaeyeon ignored the question and folded her arms against her chest, “I wanted to asked you about something.”

The vice-captain says nothing but nodded, encouraging Chaeyeon to continue.

 

”What’s with the mixed signals that I’m getting from you?” 

Chaeyeon narrowed her eyes, observing how the older girl’s expression changes along with the question. The pair of curious gaze turned frantic as they darted around. It didn’t need to take a genius to notice how Eunbi was fazed with the bluntness.

”What do you mean?” 

“I’m not going to beat around the bush.” Chaeyeon says firmly, stepping closer to the fretting woman almost cornering her up against the wall.

 

 “Do you like me?”

The usually confident Eunbi who wouldn’t hesitate to speak up her mind was shed off. Instead, infront of Chaeyeon stood a timid woman wasn’t able to hold the strong eye contact Chaeyeon was demanding for. Keeping her head low, the significally shorter girl could only nibble on her lower lips as her heart throbbed     either from nervousness or anxiety. 

Wanting to get a proper answer from Eunbi, the younger girl pressed on and tried to push her button.

 

 “Or are you just treating me like another chick of yours?” 

“If that’s the case, then stop playing with my feelings. Stop all the flirtings and just leave me out of your collection. I don’t want to be just another girl whom you play with when you’re bored.” 

 

Chaeyeon was well aware of how harsh her tone was. But she wouldn’t care less that she’s being disrespectful when its her heart that is at stake. She could be all kind and forgiving but there’s always a limit to everything. She had a bad heartbreak already and Chaeyeon can’t afford to have another even without them starting anything yet. It isn’t to late to stop her feelings.

Hopefully.

 

"I...I..." Eunbi's shoulder slumped, her eyes shone brightly with guilt and confusion, "I...don't know, Chae. "

Millions of unanswered question flashed by Chaeyeon's mind. But she held herself back from speaking, giving Eunbi the time to organise her thoughts and form her sentence. 

"I'm sorry if I've hurt you with my actions." The brunette says, finally gaining the courage to look into the taller's pair of distraughted orbs, "I swear it wasn't on purpose. All those flirtings as you calls them."

 

"Getting your phone number while using my authority as the vice-captain, all of the hugs and holding your hands, the cheek peck and everything. They were out of my control. I did them because my heart and body tells me to."

Chaeyeon's eyes soften as she process the words and gulped, "Can you speak in more simpler words? Am I taking your words in the wrong perception or?"

 

The senior sighed heavily and take a step closer to Chaeyeon. In a swift second, Chaeyeon feels her heart leaping out in happiness when Eunbi lays her right cheek against her chest and wrap her arms around her waist. 

 

"You're different from other girls I flirted with, Chaeng." 

Her heart stopped. She frozed. 

 

"D-Does this mean that you like me?"

Her hope soared high when she could feel the latter's similar throbbing of chest against hers. 

 

"I won't deny this." The brunette looks up from her chest, "I am attracted to you." 

 

A smile shy smile almost formed on Chayeon's lips but before it fully hung from ear to ear, Eunbi had to make it short-live. 

 

"But I'm not ready for this, Chaeyeon."

"I'm not ready to be committed in a relationship." 

 

 

***

 

 

8 days. 

Sakura counted.

It has been a week since her bestfriend had been acting like this. It may not be obvious to others, but knowing the taller girl for a good five years, Sakura didn't believe that those grins and laughters were genuine. It is known to everyone in the school about how Chaeyeon is easily one of the brightest and loudest student in her cohort. 

A social butterfly.

Everyone's friends. 

Sakura doubt anyone had seen the easy-going Chaeyeon breaking down before. The last time she had to comfort Chaeyeon was during the latter's first heartbreak. Not only Chaeyeon was suffering during that great turmoil. The Japanese too was caught up with sadness seeing the ever so joyful and happy go-lucky girl being so devastated. 

She should have knew better than to give her approval for Chaeyeon to date that junior. Sakura should have had more confidence and courage to confess her feelings even before Chaeyeon was quick to catch feelings with her beautiful shy junior. 

Countless time, Sakura tried to get over her bestfriend.

Afterall, it's already a blessing to be the bestfriend of her crush.

 

Or is that so?

Because while being her bestfriend has its advantages, Sakura lost count of how many times she her herat cracked a little whenever Chaeyeon shares about her date or day out with her girlfriend so excitingly. Whenever that happens, reality just slaps her hard in her face.

 

They are just really plainly bestfriends. 

 

And Sakura was pretty much satisfied with their current relationship. They hang out more often, continue being each other's strong pillar of support and her heart stopped aching as much as before. Knowing that Chaeyeon wasnt' seeing anyone, makes Sakura's heart at peace. 

Not till, she start to notice the different treatment Chaeyeon was giving her dance crew's vice-captain. 

It was subtle but it doesn't escape Sakura's hawk eyes. 

 

Whenever Eunbi was around, her bestfriend would stiffen for a few seconds. 

Whenever Eunbi joins in their conversation, Sakura could hear how painfully fake Chaeyeon's supposedly contagious laughter sounds like. The laughter that used to make her laugh along without her even understanding the joke, now just make her feel sick in her stomach knowing that Chaeyeon is hiding her emotions. 

Whenever Eunbi tries to stand closer to her bestfriend, Chaeyeon will be quick to cling onto the nearest person beside her. 

Sakura noticed all of this odd behaviours. While she might be still confused for the reasons behind Chaeyeon’s actions, Sakura was certain that Eunbi can’t be excluded from the explanations.

 

”Stop it.” 

All of the ugly laughters halted. Everyone’s eyes on focused on the Japanese. Unknowingly, the unusual slient Sakura ball her hands into a fist as her eyes glares softly at her bestfriend. 

Sakura sighs, her eyes never leaving Chaeyeon. 

“Drop the acts.” 

Now the attention shifted to the main dancer who darted her eyes around then tries to laugh it off, “Why are you being so worked up? We are doing charades of course we have to act!” 

“You know what I mean, Chae.” Sakura says sternly. It was the first time Sakura wasn’t in her goofy self as the tension begins to build up. 

Knowing that her bestfriend hated to be put in the spot, Sakura went forth and took her wrist before apologising to the rest of the crew members.

”I’ll bring her back before the break ends.” 

 

 

***

 

 

“Speak.” 

Chaeyeon blinks in nervousness. She knows that she wouldn’t be able to hide herself any more longer infront of her bestfriend. However, it was still difficult for her to open up. Espeically when she knows that Sakura would probably give her another talk about getting into a relationship so recklessly and falling in love so quickly with someone she barely knew for a year. She might even bring up her previous relationship which completely destroyed her before. 

“N-Nothing is wrong, Saku-chan.” 

“You know you’re bad at lying.” Sakura scoffed, holding her pointer up towards the taller’s ears, “Your ears are pink and you aren’t looking in my eyes.”

 

”Don’t you think its stupid to lie to your bestfriend?”

 

Chaeyeon rolled her eyes and groaned as she brings her hand up to cover her ears, “Just why are you so observant?” 

Because my eyes are always on you.

As much as Sakura wanted to say that, she kept it in her thoughts and waited for Chaeyeon to continue. 

“Its just something small, no worries. I can handle it myself.” 

“I thought we are suppose to share with each other every single things that happens to us whether is it a huge or a small matter?” Sakura pushes, “Are you going to break the promise that you made?” 

 

“C’mon stop crying now. You look like an ugly globin that failed its mission to steal.”

”Shut up...!”

”You should have told me earlier instead to keeping it to yourself for so long.” 

“It was just me failing my Korean test. I didn’t want to bother you with such insignificant problem, Chaeyeon. You already helped me so much. I just felt like I let you down.”

“Firstly, you aren’t a failure. Secondly, what do you mean by insignificant problem? They are still problems that you faced. As your bestfriend, I would really appreciate it if you share you worries to me. I may not be able go help you but I can be your listening ears.” 

“I will feel useless if I see you crying alone all of a sudden and not knowing whats the reason behind your tears.” 

“Do you not trust me enough to share with me this smalll little problem as you say?”

”What? No! Of course I trust you!!”

”Then promise me.” 

“Only if you do the same.”

”Promise sealed.” 

 

 

Chaeyeon looked down on the ground in guilt as her shoulder started to slump over. The older girl shook her head and just wrap her arms around her bestfriend to pull her into a comfortable hug. 

“Look, I won’t force you to explain to me whatever that happened between you and Eunbi-chan...” She paused when she felt Chaeyeon stiffening at the name. Patting her hair gently, Sakura sighed.

”I trust that you will keep to our promise and tell me whenever you’re ready to talk about it?” 

Chaeyeon nodded slightly against her shoulder and muttered a soft thank you. 

Sakura pulls away and fixed the taller’s hair before slapping her jokingly, earning a whine from Chaeyeon.

“Now, get your back and stop faking all those ugly laughters. Geez, I almost wanted to vomit with how fake your smiles were.” 

“Were they really fake?” Chaeyeon asked sheepishly. 

“May not be fake towards them but don’t expect your bestfriend to believe those smiles which doesn’t mean anything.” 

“Geez, really can’t hide anything from you.” 

Sakura laughs, “Of course. Let’s go to your favourite ice cream shop after training.”

”You treat?”

”My treat.” 

 

For the first time in the week, Sakura was relieved to see the true genuine favourite smile of her bestfriend. 

She swore in her heart to protect this precious bear smile of hers.

 

 

***

 

 

 

“Hey do you remember that?”

”What?” 

Sakura blinked in confusion when she sees her bestfriend throwing her head back in laughters in the midst of having her ice cream. 

“There was once where you accidentally dropped your ice cream and a guy slipped on it.” 

Recalling the particular incident, the Japanese chuckled and nodded, “We wanted to look around for tissues but then when we turn around, the guy already fall on his .” 

Chaeyeon nodded while keeping her laughter going, “And I can’t believe you pulled me away and ran when I tried to help him up.” 

“Excuse me! He was literally scolding the air when he fell! Fortunately he didn’t see us! Or else we could have been beaten to a pulp.” 

“Still. We could have helped him up and acted like you weren’t the one who dropped the strawberry ice cream.” Chaeyeon argued while the latter shrugged and dismissed the topic. 

 

The pair of bestfriend fell in comfortable slience as they slowly walked towards their neighbourhood. 

“Saku-chan.”

”What?” 

“Do you have someone you like right now?” 

 

Sakura halted her tracks and almost dropped her strawberry ice cream cone again. She glanced at Chaeyeon who also follow suited and stared at her patiently, waiting for an answer.

 

”W-What?” 

“I’m just curious since you never told me you like anyone before.”

 

How I wish I could tell you.

 

”You are still as single as a newborn baby.”

Sakura blinks, “Whats the link?” 

“That must be good.”

”What’s good?”

”Not having to like someone.”

 

Sakura furrowed her brows.

 

”I got rejected.” 

“Rejected?”

”I like Eunbi unnie.” 

 

Déjà vu.

 

Eventhough Chaeyeon poured out to her whatever thay happened back at the backgates of the restaurant, Sakura could only process one thing in her brain.

That Chaeyeon is interested in another girl. 

Fears and insecurities starts sinking in and Sakura had mixed feelings about it. 

One the bright side, she was thankful that Eunbi had sort of rejected her bestfriend’s feelings but on the dark side, she knows that once Chaeyeon takes a liking or interest in someone, it would be difficult for her to look at another person. 

She’s loyal.

Once she fall, she falls deep.

 

”Thanks for listening, Saku-chan.”

Before even she realised it, they already had reached their doorstep. Sakura just nodded without saying anything, still overwhelmed with her bestfriend’s confession.

”See you tomorrow then. Thanks for the treat!”

”No problem...”

Chaeyeon flash a grin before turning her back and start walking into her house.

 

”Wait!” 

“Hm?”

”I do have someone I like.” 

The taller girl widen her eyes in shock, “What?! Who is if??? Why didn’t you tell me!” 

Sakura gulped, trying to gather her courage and confess her feelings that she kept for years.

”I...I...I like...” 

“...You like?” 

“Someone.” Sakura ended up chickening out and starts running towards her house beside Chaeyeon.

She failed to confess her feelings again for the nth time. 

Once she closes the door behind her, Sakura cursed under her breath for being such a coward. Her phone then buzzed off. 

 

From: Chaeyeonnie

I’m expecting you to tell me who your crush is soon! Goodnightttt and hope you dream of your crush!

 

”Damn it.” 

 

 

***

 

 

“Am I the only one feeling nervous for our competition on Friday?” Yena questioned while the crew were having lunch together.

Go Yujin shook her head, “All of us are but I’m sure we will do well!”

”Yes. We trained and practiced so hard.” Kaeun added on, munching on her sandwich, “We will get our 5th championship back girlsss!”

 

So Yeon sighs, “But i heard that other schools are stepping up their games! Especially Hanyun High.” 

Eun Chae then shrugs, “Who cares. We are still the best thats why they need to step up their games.” 

Everyone cheered at the confidence of Eunchae who then hung her arms around Chaeyeon and Soyeon, “Plus we have our top notch dancers here in our crew!!” 

“Rightt our main dancerssss.” Yena cheered. 

Chaeyeon chuckled and looked around the table only to noticed how long Eunbi was gone for her toilet break. 

 

“Isn’t Eunbi unnie taking too long in the toilet?” Chaeyeon was starting to get worried. It had been a good 15 minutes since Eunbi was gone.

Yena being the evil child she is, shrugged, “She might be pooping out all of the cookies she stolen from me.” 

“I certaintly did not stole your cookies, Choi Yena.” A irritated Eunbi creeps behind the said girl and pulled the younger’s ears. 

“Ahhh sorry sorry!!! Let me go!” Yena whinedin agony while the whole crew members burst into laughter at the comical scene. 

The group was so engrossed in their conversation that they failed to notice a shy pretty girl standing behind of their vice-captain. 

Till the new girl clench her fist and muttered her first words.

 

 

”C-Chaeyeon unnie..” 

All of the laughters slowly subsided as they starts to notice the shy girl. 

“Oh gosh!! I didnt see you there!” Go Yujin says and quickly stood up with a smile.

”right! How impolite of us.” Kaeun followed and eyed Eunbi, “Your friend?”

The vice-captain shook her head, “She got lost and asked me for directions and just nice she said she was looking for the dance club. So i brought her here.”

”why is such a pretty girl looking for us?” Yena chirped in and gleefully extended her hand towards the new girl, waiting for her to shake. 

But was only ignored when the shy girl’s attention was only solely on their main dancer who was froze up in her seat.

 

”Chaeyeon unnie.” The new girl calls again, this time louder than before. Yet Chaeyeon doesn’t greet back. 

The girls sensed the tension and Yena awkward withdrew her hands back to her side, “Ahh... You are Chaeyeon’s friend?” 

 

The chair screeched, as Chaeyeon stood up tall and stares at the black-haired beauty with an unreadable expression.

 

“What are you doing here, Minju?”

Not only the dance crew was taken back by how cold Chaeyeon’s words were. Even Chaeyeon herself was shocked by her tone. 

“I...came to find you.” 

 

Her voice was still the same as before. 

Soft, pretty and gentle. 

 

The angelic voice that Chaeyeon used to love. That used and still have a certain effect on her. As much as she wants to hate the girl, she couldn’t.

Chaeyeon sighes heavily staring right into the younger’s pair of innocent eyes.

 

”What for? I believe that we do not have anymore business left between us.” 

 

She felt her head aching and the familar pain that she  thought she had overcame, starts resurging again. Knowing that her emotions is going to get ahead of her, Chaeyeon was quick to turn her back and starts walking away from her crew members. 

But she could only take a few strides before a familar vanilla scent entered her nostrils and long arms wrapped around her waist. 

Her heart dropped at the familar sense of the warm backhug that she used to love. 

 

“I miss you, unnie.” 

 

 

 


Author's Note:

All of my ship in this fic sailed with their two latest vlive. Can you hear me crying at the corner? Anyway, what's the offical ship name for Minju x Chaeyeon though? o.o Does anyone know? >< More explanations about Minju and Chae's relationship will be given on the next chapter so stay tune! 

Comments are welcome and thanks again for all of the support!