Chapter 5

Choices

Chapter 5

 

 

From: Saku-Chan <3

Jaaeyonnn!!! Hwaitoooo you can do this! I’ll be screaming my heads off for you! If you’re nervous, find me at the first row okay!!! I’ll treat you meat after you win the competition heh! Love you! My no.1 dancer <3

 

From: Minju

Unnie! I’m so excited to see you performing again! I believe that you will shine the brightest on stage so do not be afraid! I’ll be cheering for you amongst the audience do your best! 

 

Though, those encouraging messages were enough to bring a smile on the dancer’s face, it wasn’t enough to calm her down. It wasn’t her first performance. Yet, Chaeyeon could feel the twist of her intestines and her nerves jumbling up in anxiety as she waited for their school’s name to be called up next.

The previous school’s performance didn’t help smoothing the stress building up. With all sorts of dance techniques used, their rival school got standing ovation when the last note ended with a bang. 

The atmosphere wasn’t as bright as it normally was in the waiting room. The beagle-like girls fell into dead slience, some jaw-dropping at the previous performance. Only the captains were comfortable enough to gather the crew’s attention.

 

”Huddle up guys.” 

At the snap of Kaeun’s finger, everyone gathered in - a circle and have their last meeting before the final stage. 

Kaeun stares into each one of their eyes and says firmly, “Don’t be afraid. Show them our efforts and talent got me?” 

Everyone nodded.

 

”This isn’t the way you should reply me, team.” The captain deadpanned, “Why are you guys so down! Let your energy unleash!” 

 

“YES CAPPPPPP!!!!” The whole crew members screamed, with Yena leading with the exclaim. With that last cheer, Kaeun smiles as the team obviously got more relaxed. 

 

“Let’s do it! It will be another championship for us! Believe in it!” Eunbi encourages, earning another whole loud cheers from the team.

 

”Get ready, you guys are up next.”

It was their que. 

 

With Kaeun leading, the 12 members starts scurrying out of the waiting room with Eunbi at the end to check that no members are left behind. 

 

While the others were busy checking their outfits and make sure that their shoe laces were knotted tightly, Chaeyeon was zoning out in her own world trying to calm her down.

 

”Nervous?” 

A familar warm hand slides into hers and squeezing it lightly to snap her out of her trance. Chaeyeon blinks then looked to her side to see a smiling Eunbi. Instantly, peace overtook her nervousness and she nodded slightly at her vice-captain. 

Eunbi chuckled then fixed Chaeyeon’s strand of hair that was falling, “You shine the brightest on stage Chae, don’t let your anxiety kill you. Go and slay them with your presence and moves." 

The way Eunbi said with so much confidence in her, helped to ignite the fire back in Chaeyeon's chest. It's not the time to fret. She has to do them proud.

 

Dancing is all about confidence and passion. Those two are the strongest point of hers.

She can do it. 

 

"We will win this, unnie."

They stood behind the curtain ready in their designed position and with bright smiles and a firm nod, the red curtain started to separate.

 

Let's do this. 

 

The moment the curtains were drawn to the sides, her eyes roamed around the audience and she had to force herself not to grin when she sees Sakura holding up a huge banner that says "Let's go Lee Chaeyeon! You're the best!".

Her bestfriend certainly doesn't disappoint. Where did she even got that from? 

And of course, with her outstanding visuals and the usual amazed face she have whenever she sees Chaeyeon's perform, the dancer could easily spot Minju out of the crowd.

Being a perfectionist, Chaeyeon knew that it wasn't her best performance. Espeically when she missed half a beat during the dance formation but luckily she was at the back and hopefully it wouldn't drag the team down. But her confidence came back when she hears Minju's shy screams and Sakura's dolphine shierks during her solo dance break. She put in 200% more strength and effort in it. 

Nothing could compare to the huge satisfaction that she felt when her ears blasted with claps and cheers from the audience when she went to the center of the stage and ended the song with a baby freeze. 

 

"WHOOOOO!!!" 

With ragged breaths, the team gathered in a line and bowed towards the audience and the judge before leaving to the backstage where they started to let go of their anxiety and stage-fright. 

 

"OMG WE ARE SO GONNA WIN THIS!" Eunchae says, jumping up and down in excitement with Yena who agreed and started to form a group hug. 

 

Kaeun giggled and throw her thumbs up, "Good job guys! Regardless of what the results are, our performance is number one in my eyes and heart!" 

"Ehyyy! Cheesy!" 

“Shut up.” Kaeun rolled her eyes at the teases begin thrown at her. 

 

Chaeyeon sighs in relief as anxiety leaves her body and she slump her back against the couch while the team waited for the results to be announced after a short break. She closed her eyes for a short while, still feeling the euphoria lingering in her from the performance. She could never get tired of being om stage.

 

“Hey, you did great out there.” Eunbi’s voice pulled her out of her trance and her eyes fluttered open. The vice-captain smiles softly, “As expected from our feather Lee Chaeyeon.”

”Thank you, unnie.” Chaeyeon smiles gratefully, “You did well too with your solo dance. I have confidence that we will snatch the championship home.”

Eunbi shrugs and winks, “Of course we will.” Both of them laughs when Yena suddenly shierks and gathered their attention.

”They are gonna announce the result!” Eunbi stood up in excitement, grabbing Chaeyeon’s wrist to pull her along up on stage again with the other school’s contestants. 

 

The crew members linked their arms and hands together and nodded at each other while they sliently prayed in their heart. 

 

“After much discussions and considerations, the final champion goes tooo....."  

 

Chaeyeon blocked and close her eyes for the announcement. However the loud cheers jolted her up and she saw Eunbi running towards her hugging her and screaming. Just by that, she knew that the championship went to them once again. Chaeyeon and Yena instantly bursted into tears while Kaeun went forth to receive the reward. Yujin and Eunchae comforted the crying pair while the other schools congratulated them. 

At the audience, Sakura’s voice was clearly heard chanting their school’s name and cheering for her bestfriend. She may not be outspoken like Sakura, but Minju had a big fat wide proud grin plastered on her lips while her eyes never left Chaeyeon. 

 

“I TOLD YOU!” Using her free hand, Eunbi wipped the tears away from Chaeyeon, “WE WON!” The younger girl nodded and side-hugged Eunbi who hugs back and runs her hand smoothly along her brown locks to calm her down.

 

Chaeyeon wore a wide grin as her eyes search for her bestfriend among the crowd who was screaming her lungs out. They had a brief eye contact and with just a simple nod, Chaeyeon knew that Sakura was really proud of her.

Then, her orbs caught the goddess showing both of her thumbs up at her while mouthing - You're really cool, unnie. In response, Chaeyeon smiled and mouthed back a thank you before the crew members had to backstage.

 

 

***

 

 

"Great job team! I'm proud of you guys." Teacher Bae Yoon Jung congratulated the girls, garnering cheers and more cries from daners. Lifting the trophy up, Kaeun gathers the team around Teacher Bae and starting chanting thank you(s) to their instructor.

"Now let's go and celebrate our win!" The captain says. 

"YAS! Kaeun unnie will treat us!" Soyeon screams in excitement. Kaeun's face fell then directed her attention to Teacher Bae who immediately knew what Kaeun wanted to say. 

 

"Sorry, I have plans so I'm not gonna join yall for dinner." 

Kaeun grins sheepishly, "But that doesn't mean that you can't pay for our bills right?"

With how the older woman expression changed in disbelief, the whole team burst in giggles. 

 

"Yey! Teacher Bae will treat us dinner!!!" 

Shaking her head in defeat, Teacher Bae fished her wallet out and pulled out one of her platinum card, giving it to Kaeun.

 

"Don't pig out my money please."

"Whoohoo! Omma Bae is the best!" 

 

While the team was having a blast cheering for their free dinner, Chaeyeon on the other hand was in huge dilemma. Eunbi who was quietly watching at the side, noticed it and approached her when she see the slient distress. 

 

"Chae? What's wrong?" 

The said girl sighs, "Saku-chan wants to treat me for winning the competition." 

Eunbi nods. She wasn't surprised that the younger's bestfriend would want to celebrate the win with her. 

"So you are thinking if you should go with her or come with us?" 

 

Chaeyeon shook her head and showed her phone screen Eunbi. 

 

From: Minju

Congrats on your win, unnie! As expected from you :) 

I know it might be too much to ask from you, but can we have dinner together? 

You know, to celebrate and it's been really long since we last had a meal. 

I'll be waiting at the stairs! 

 

"Wow, you sure have lots of people wanting to ask you out for dinner." Eunbi says in amusement, "Since when did you pick up my flirting skills huh?" 

Chaeyeon rolls her eyes but chuckled a little, "It must be because I'm hanging out with you too much." 

The older girl flips her hair sassily, "Perks of being with me." 

 

Their little jokes dies down and Chaeyeon return to her distress state. 

 

"I don't know what to do though." 

"I thought you would easily choose Sakura over Minju." 

Chaeyeon sighs and mutters to herself, "Certainly. If only I didn't know what actually happened." 

 

One is her besfriend whom she is eternally thankful for and one is her ex-girlfriend whom she just simply have a soft spot for. Eventhough Eunbi was right that she would no doubt choose Sakura, but thinking about how that decision would sadden the younger girl, made Chaeyeon think twice. She didn't want to push Minju away again, knowing that whatever happen is not as simple as what she thought.

 

"Then go out with me." Eunbi winks, suggesting another option for Chaeyeon who immediately blushed at the thought of having a date with the older woman. But she know that Eunbi was just fooling around so she just laughs it off and looked at her phone buzzing off again. 

 

From: Minju

It's okay unnie, I just remembered that you have your crew members to celebrate the victory with keke. Silly me... 

I'll treat you another time but can we meet for a short while? I have gifts for you.

 

"Eunbi unnie, can you help me with something?" 

The said girl nodded, signalling Chaeyeon to continue. 

 

"Help me to stall Sakura for a few minutes when she comes, I need to go to Minju for a while." Chaeyeon says, "Please make sure that Saku-chan doesn't know that I meeting Minju." 

 

 

***

 

 

With her long legs, Chaeyeon quickly ran to the stairways to find Minju. The brunette was leaning against the white wall patiently for her and when she saw the older girl, a smile instantly fell on her lips. 

 

"Chaeyeon unnie." 

"Hey, sorry to keep you waiting." 

Minju shakes her head and hold out the bouquet of baby breath with an awkward grin, "Congrats on the win, unnie. You did great." Chaeyeon returned a polite smile and accepted the flowers with a heavy heart. 

Out of all kinds of flowers, Minju just had to gift her baby's breath. It didn't help that the sight of the symbolic flower triggered some bittersweet memories. 

 

"Do you know why got you baby's breath when I confessed to you?" 

"Why?" 

"Because it symbolize our relationship!"

"Symbolize? Sorry unnie, I don't really know much about flowers... What does it mean?"

"Firstly, baby's breath represent you. Pure, innocent and delicate." 

"And most importantly! It symbolizes everlasting love!" 

 

Chaeyeon doesn't know whether to cringe at how cheesy she was back then or should she be bitter about those happy broken promises that they made to each other. Maybe the myth about giving baby's breath to someone you want to have long lasting relationship with is false. 

 

"I...I guess I should go now.” Minju says softly with a smile. Chaeyeon tighten her grip around the flower and nodded, "Have a safe trip home. Thanks for coming, Minju."

 

"No worries, I enjoyed your stage." The younger sways her body, seemingly holding herself back from speaking her mind out. It always had been Minju's habit to nibble on her lower lips and avoid eyecontacts whenever something is bothering her and she didn't change at all. 

 

"Do you have something that you want to say to me?" Chaeyeon questioned. 

"Erm... Yeah?"

"What is it?"

"When are you free next week for the dinner treat?" 

 

Chaeyeon sighs internally, "You know, you don't really have to treat me dinner."

Disappointment instantly flashed across Minju's orbs, "Ah..." 

"You don't want to have dinner with me?" Hearing how defeated Minju sounded like, Chaeyeon's weak heart is in action again. 

 

"I mean, I'm fine with a dinner but I would feel burden for the treat."

"But I just want to celebrate your win."

"Without treating me." Chaeyeon insisted, feeling bad for asking the younger girl to fork out money. Minju could only sigh and nods in defeat. 

Chaeyeon then smiled slightly and upon instintic her hand moves by its own will to ruffle Minju's hair softly. The sudden action definitely shocked Minju with how she froze up on her spot and her cheeks starting flaring. She dared herself to look up to match Chaeyeon's eye level and it just seem like time had stopped moving. 

Hairs at the back of her neck starts standing as her heart begin to race at the familar scene. Minju didn't even realise just how much she missed Chaeyeon doing such simple stuff like ruffling her hair affectionately.  

 

"Erm... I guess I'll text you again." Chaeyeon sensed the awkwardness and immediately removed her hands much to Minju's dismay. She then stepped away and waved her hands with a small grin, "Thanks for coming again." 

 

Although it may just be a simple action but that was enough to build the little hope in Minju again. 

 

I've been waiting for a year unnie, I'm fine with waiting for you a little longer. 

 

 

***

 

 

As soon as she stepped into the waiting room, she was greeted with a suffocating big teddy hug from her one and only bestfriend. Chaeyeon could only laugh at how her best friend kept screaming in her ears in Japanese. 

 

"I know you're excited but you are screaming into my ears and if this continues, I'm gonna be deaf." Chaeyeon chuckled and pulls away from the tight hug. Sakura pouted slightly but still have that huge idiotic proud grin on her face. 

"Oh gosh! I knew that you will win!" She throws her arm around Chaeyeon as they walked towards the team, "See, my cheers for yall worked right!"

Go Yujin scoffed, "More like you were only cheering for Lee Chaeyeon." All of them looked at the banner in the Japanese hands while Sakura smiled sheepishly. 

 

"Where did you even get such huge banner?"

"Well, I made it myself!" Sakura says arrogantly. 

"Why only for Chaeyeon though?" Kaeun sulked. She tries to approach Sakura and link her arm but Chaeyeon shooed her away. 

 

"Excuse me cap, no hitting on my bestfriend." 

The older girl gasp and flushed red while the rest of the team burst out in laughter. 

 

"Right! Kaeun unnie don't you dare to hit on Chaeyeon's bestfriend or else she would hunt you down!" 

Kaeun shrugs and looks at Sakura then back to Chaeyeon, "So if I were to ask Sakura out, I have to ask you first?" 

 

Chaeyeon raised her brow and shook her head. 

 

"What! Are you just gonna give me away to anyone who confess to me!!!" Sakura shierked and hit Chaeyeon at the back of her head. 

"What! No. I didn't even say that!"

"You shook your head!" 

 

Chaeyeon rolled her eyes and huffed, "I was going to say that she have to kneel and beg before I even allow her to get your number." 

While Kaeun was groaning and everyone was either teasing Kaeun or Chaeyeon for being overprotective over her bestfriend, Sakura was trying to contain her squeal and hide her blushing cheeks behind her rose short hair. 

 

At that moment, she slightly looks up and happened hold a brief eye contact with Eunbi. 

 

It was only for a few seconds but Sakura can't help but feel heavy in her chest at how Eunbi was looking at her so sharply as if trying it she was a scanner trying to spot something amiss in Sakura. She could not read what's going on in Eunbi's mind but her guts told her that she may have offended Eunbi in a way or another. 

 

Sakura made sure that she stayed far away from Eunbi throughout the whole dinner. 

 

 

***

 

After the dinner, the members splited ways with Sakura and Chaeyeon walking home together as usual with light talks and laughters. 

 

"Why would you think that Eunbi unnie hates you? That's ridiculous." 

Sakura shrugs, "She seems very standoffish."

"You must be kidding me, she's one of the nicest people I know." Chaeyeon defended her crush and shakes her head at the idea of her vice-captain being mean to Sakura or anyone in general. 

 

The bob-haired sighs, "Maybe I'm just sensitive." 

"Yeah, you are sensitive." 

 

Sakura glared at little at the tease thrown to her while Chaeyeon just laughs it off and shove her hands into her pockets, looking up at the dark sky with a small smile. 

 

"It's a good day."

"It is." 

"and I'm glad you're still here, Saku-chan. Thanks for being a constant in my life." 

 

Sakura quirked a brow, "Why are you being to sentimental all of a sudden? Did you do something wrong, Lee Chaeyeon?" 

The younger girl chuckled. 

 

"Must I do something wrong to tell you how much I appreciate you staying in my messed up life?" 

Though still skeptical, Sakura let it pass and settle with a nod. 

 

"Thanks for staying too, Lee." 

"You know, how we are always honest with each other and never keep secrets?" 

"Of course." 

 

Its one of their rules. No secret is allowed between them. You tell each other your problems and the deepest secret you have though Sakura still do not have the balls to confess her biggest secret to her bestfriend - that she's in love with her.

 

Chaeyeon take a deep breath once they reached their doorstep and scratch her nape. Guilt has been eating her up ever since she met Minju at the stairways secretly. She hate the fact that she made Eunbi lie to Sakura about her whereabouts when she had swore that she would never keep anything from the shorter girl. 

 

"I have something to confess about, Sakura." 

"What is it?"

"Promise me that you won't get angry at me." 

 

The short-haired is now more intrigued. She nodded and folded her arms against her chest, waiting for her bestfriend to drop the bomb. 

 

"I met up with Minju earlier on." 

Chaeyeon kept her head low as her hands fiddled nervously at the ends of her sweater. She was afraid of what's going to come next. Maybe Sakura would leash out at her, maybe she would get kicked in the shin for being stupid and leting the younger girl in again, maybe Sakura would nag at her again or maybe Sakura would say nothing and ignore her for the rest of their lives. 

She was waiting for something. Some reaction. But she gets nothing. So she looks up and see Sakura shaking her head with a disappointed look. 

 

"I saw her ealier too at the competition venue." 

"What???" Chaeyeon widen her eyes, "D-Did you talk to her?"

"Yeah, I told her to stay away from you." 

 

"NANI!" Chaeyeon exclaimed. 

"Joking." 

Sakura rolled her eyes and the extreme reaction coming from her bestfriend and face-palmed, "As much as I want to do that, I know she woul not listen and I also knew that you guys would probably hook up again as friends or whatever." 

 

Deep in her heart, Sakura knew that Minju had a special place in Chaeyeon's heart. Eventhough time has passed, Minju's figure in her bestfriend life still has its big significance and presence and that's something Sakura dislike. She hates the fact that eventhough she was the one who stayed by Chaeyeon's side during her lowest momnet in life, when Minju appears out of nowhere, Chaeyeon immediately softens and forgets about those agony days she had to go through. 

 

"I...I won't deny the fact that I do miss her as well, Saku-chan." Chaeyeon sighs, "I'm trying my best to keep my distant away from her. But you know I just have a soft spot for her." 

 

"Did you forget about the days you spent hurting and crying because of her?"

"and i found out that everything was a misunderstanding a year after. She must have been hurt too. I can't be selfish." 

 

Sakura found herself shaking as anger starts slipping in. Her hands clenched into a tight fist as she closes her eyes and trys to contain her anger. 

 

"You've been selfless thats way you're suffering." Sakura and scoffed and shook her head, "No i mean we. We have been too selfless that's why we are hurting ourselves and I won't allow that to happen again." 

 

Chaeyeon furrowed her brows in confusion, "We? What do you mean? Why are you hurt? Who hurt you?" 

 

You, . You hurt me. 

 

"W-What? Me?" 

 

Oh freak, did I just said that out? 

 

Chaeyeon grabbed Sakura by her shoulder and gulped, "What did I do? Since when did I hurt you? Did I say something wrong? Was it the other time where I called you dumb because you made a mistake in Korean? , i'm so sorry I was just joking that time when i say that don't be offended and angry! You know    

 

"    No, it's not because of that!" Sakura cut off the younger's rambles and sighed heavily. 

"Then what is it?" 

 

The older girl bite onto her lower lips, hestitating if she should just confess to Chaeyeon already. 

 

"Is it because of Minju? Are you hurt because I start to talk to her again? Did you feel betray or something?" 

While Chaeyeon was throwing out guesses, Sakura was growing annoyed at the passive girl and nods her head.

 

"Yes. Yes, i was mad because you didn't heed to my advice and now that Minju appears, you go all weak forgetting all the pains you had you put up with because of her. Just that one girl."

Chaeyeon click her tongue back, exasperated. 

 

"I told you! It was not her fault! She's just trying to i don't know? make friends with me again?" 

"you don't know." Sakura hissed, "you don't know what her intentions are yet you are so willing to let her drag you into her games. What the hell, Chaeyeon? You don't even know what she will do you again!" 

"Sakura."

"For goddness' sake, she might be dump by Yujin and that's why she's crawling back to you again!" 

 

At the point of time, Sakura was too agitated to think properly while Chaeyeon was getting annoyed at how her bestfriend was coming at her so strongly. She was trying to explain her stand but Sakura just had to remind and scream into her face that she was dumped by Minju again and again. It lowered her ego and definitely hit a sore spot. 

 

"Sakura, you are being sensitive again! All i wanted was to be friends with her again! I do not want things to stay awkward between us." 

"Oh yeah? Then after you guys become comfortable friends again, I bet you are going to weak hearted again and want her back." 

"I will not." 

"Yes you will." Sakura aruges, "Then you will leave me behind again and go on your sickening sweet dates just like before." 

 

Chaeyeon grunted, "What the heck? Why are you even so opposed of me getting close with Minju again! I promise you I will be careful and stop dragging Minju down! She's just a innocent kid!" 

 

"Freaking hell, Chae." Sakura ruffled her hair in annoyance, "I'm jealous okay! I'm jealous that it just takes Minju to appear then you go all weak and acts like a love-sick puppy...!"

 

"What?" Chaeyeon doesn't understand, "Why are you jealous! I don't even spend time as much time with her as I am with you!" 

"Because when we are together all you talk about is her! or your stupid crush on Eunbi-nim. You don't even care about how I feel!" 

 

Chaeyeon look downright offended with what Sakura said, "I don't care how you feel? If you didn't like what I was saying then you should have told me!" 

"How could I when you look so happy talking about them! While I had to keep my cool and contain my jealous and respond to your story about you falling more and more inlove with them each day!" 

 

"That's what bestfriend does!"

"Then I don't wanna be your bestfriend!" 

 

That broke Chaeyeon's heart. 

She took a few steps back and stared at Sakura who was slightly panting and out of breath because of all of the shoutings. 

 

"W-What? You d-don't wanna be my bestfriend?" 

 

Sakura knew she went to far to go back. 

 

"Yes, I don't wanna be your bestfriend anymore, Chaeyeon." She says firmly. 

"Why?" 

"Because..." Her words get stuck in between when she sees tears forming in Chaeyeon's orbs. She walks closer and wipe the tears that was threatening to fall and smiled bitterly. 

 

"I've hide my feelings for you long enough behind the bestfriend status already."

"I want to gain some balls and confess my feelings and maybe I don't know? Start my courtship?"

 

Chaeyeon couldn't believe her ears, "Y-You what?" 

 

"I'm in love with you. For the longest time you idiot." 

 

 

Finally, Sakura could feel a large weight being lifted off her shoulders and chest. 

 

She felt free.

 

Free at last to let go of all of the worries she had because she's the bestfriend. 

 

Now, that she's free from the bestfriend tag, Sakura knows that its her time to fight and show Chaeyeon that she's the right one for her.

 

 


Author's Note:

Oh mer gosh I had a serious writers block for this and ugh I know its not the best one but that's all I can do for now to give you guys a quick update for this story that has been hanging for months :(

I hope yall are still interested in this XD

But oh wow, the polls are pretty one sided though I say that I'm not surprised about the results.

WIZ*ONE are practically made up of almost 50% Chaekura shippers. No?

HAHA but yes I love their chemistry and friendship woohoo you go our best friendship of the year in kpop XD 

I have no idea when the next update would be since I'm not done with school yet, sadly. 

I love reading comments from yall so keep it up <3 I will try to reply to any questions yall have :) 

 

Still, I wish you guys a happy new year! And may 2019 be a better year for all of us! 

Much loves <3