Chapter 9

Choices

Chapter 9

 

It has been a week since she last talked to her dance vice-captain. No matter how much she had tried to reach out to the older, Eunbi would avoid her at all cost. It hurts of course. But Chaeyeon couldn't do anything about it. She decides that maybe its best to give the older some spaces maybe Eunbi will come to her when she's ready. She isn't one to force her way in if Eunbi feels uncomfortable.

 

"Chae, you're spacing out."

The said girl was brought back to reality at the snap of a finger infront of her. She looked and saw Yena raising her brow, "Are you okay? You seem out of it ever since the first period." 
 

The taller girl merely nodded and brush Yena off with a thin smile. 
 

"Yeah, I'm fine just burnt some midnight oil last night to study for this afternoon's test. Just kind of tired right now." Chaeyeon streched her body as she let out an involuntary yawn before she stands up on her feet and begin to do some simple warm up. 
 

"You actually studied?" Yena widen her eyes in surprise but soon it narrowed into slits that screamed betrayal, "and here I thought I could lean on you as my only buddy who wouldn't be bothered with her studies."'

 

Suyeon laughs and draped an arm over Yena's shoulder while watching Chaeyeon.

"Of course she has to study, her grades are dropping and if she doesn't pull up this semester, she's gonna have a hard time taking part in next year's competition."

 

Chaeyeon grimace at the memory of her homeroom teacher pulling her into the counselling room and begin to lecture her about how she isn't prioritizing her studies. She even threatened to pull Chaeyeon out of the dance team if she doesn't pull up her grades by the end of the term. 
 

"That is like the worst case scenario." Yujin pouted, "Unnie you better study okay. If you don't dance, what will happen to us?" 

 

"Don't worry, Yujin. She will do well."

 

Chaeyeon moment momentarily stopped her warm up and stared at the door where Eunbi just stepped in with a smile as she approached Yujin.

"Chaeyeon's not dumb, she just lacks the effort in studying." Eunbi giggles, "You know her. She can do well in everything if she set her mind on it."

 

"Right?" 
 

The younger girl froze up for a second when Eunbi met eyes with her. But she was able to recover quickly and gave her a nod with a loopsided smile.

 

"Yeah, of course. I'm Lee Chaeyeon."

 

Chaeyeon watches Eunbi going off to her usual corner to prepare her stuffs to change out to her training attire. Should she approach the girl? Or let her continue to have her space? 

 

Yena saw the distress Chaeyeon was facing and pat her back slightly, forcing the latter to divert her attention away from Eunbi. She pulls Chaeyeon aside and questioned her softly.

 

"Did something happened between you and Eunbi unnie? You have been avoiding each other recently."

"More like she's avoiding me." Chaeyeon muttered. 

"You did something wrong?" 

"Not really. I don't really know."

 

"Maybe just give her some time. She's feeling kind of off. I could tell too." Yena pouted, "Hope that she will open up to us soon."

 

The younger girl sigh as Yena gave an assuring pat on her shoulders when she heard familar giggles behind her. Turning around, she saw her bestfriend walking in with her captain, laughing away. 

 

"Hoho what are you two doing together?" Suyeon began stirring the two of them, "I see that you guys are laughing a lot. Care to share the joke?" 

Kaeun rolled her eyes and slap her junior's head lightly, "Instead of trying to create some rumors, why not do some stretching before I add more sets to your PT." 

"You didn't even deny it!" Eunchae cuts in and pointed at the two of them, "Is there really something going on with the both of you?" 

 

Chaeyeon quirked a brow as she observed how her bestfriend seem to look bashful while allowing the dancers to tease them. Now that she think about it, she realised that her captain had been hanging around Sakura quite often recently. Furrowing her brows, the blonde strolled her way to Sakura and Kaeun and folded her arms, as if waiting for an explanation. 

 

Upon seeing the taller girl infront, Sakura immediately waved her hands in the air and shook her head.

"No no, there's nothing going on between us. I came here to look for you, Chae."

 

For some reason, Chaeyeon felt relieved at that. But still, she still sense that something is wrong at the bottom of her stomach. Glancing at the girl who entered with her bestfriend, Chaeyeon noticed how Kaeun's expressions fell. She took a mental note to question her captain about it before putting it back at the back of her mind and directed her attention back to the Japanese. 

 

"Why? Didn't you said you have some meeting for your drama club?" Chaeyeon pulls her bestfriend away from her captain and brings her to a corner.

"Supposedly. But it got pushed back till 2pm so I came to find you instead to kill time before going."

"Oh, and I think I will be ending my session late. So if you want, you can go back home first." 

Chaeyeon chuckled, "Its okay, I can wait for you. You will just end an hour later than usual right?"

The latter nodded. 

 

"So how did you come in with Kaeun unnie?" Chaeyeon tried to ask casually without coming off as curious, "You guys seems to be very close recently." 

Instead of responding to her question, Sakura narrowed her eyes sharply at her bestfriend.

 

"What? Don't tell me that you're jealous?" 

Chaeyeon blinks and looked away, "W-Why would I? I'm just curious. I just realised that she has been sticking to you recently." 

"It's nothing." Sakura shrugged, "We just happened to have the same make-up class and yeah we talked since you know, I don't really know those people in that class except for Kaeun. She took care of me and surprisingly she knows some Japanese as well. So she really helped me a lot for that class."

The blonde scoffed, "Sounds similar like how I took care of you. Is she going to replace me as your bestfriend?" 

"I mean..." Sakura giggles, "That place is going to be empty if you become my girlfriend anyways." 

 

Oh. She certainly did not expect that flirty comeback. 

 

"W-What?"  

Sakura did not take back what she said and just flashed her a sweet smile, "Don't you have to prepare for warm up? Kaeun told me that she won't go easy on you guys for today's PT." 

The younger girl groaned, "Ugh, what does she want? That stupid captain. We already won the championship and she still wants us to have PT? She's mad." 

"I can hear you very well, Lee Chaeyeon." 

"Oops. Sorry." 

Sakura laughs at how the taller girl was quick to apologies to her captain.

 

"You better go do your warm up now before Kaeun-chan comes and scold you." 

"Right... Ugh its going to be a tough day." 

 

The Japanese smiled and gave Chaeyeon a pat on her head, "You've got this. I will treat you ice cream later when we are done." 

"You're the best!" 

 

 

***

 

 

"Ugh, how many more sets left do we have?" 

Yujin dropped her body down on the ground and groaned, panting heavily after finishing that 4th set of 3 minutes planking. The whole studio was filled with groans and complaints. Kaeun rolled her eyes and stopped the timer, "Yah, Go Yujin. You haven't even reached 2 minutes and you give up already?" 

The said girl shakes her head and bring her hand up to wipe away the sweat on her forehead, "I can't do this anymore. Can I skip this first and do another set of squats? I promise I will come back to it later."

Kaeun gave her a side-eye and turn to Chaeyeon who was Yujin's partner for the physical training.

 

"Make sure she does it. Or you two will have to do another 2 sets of it."

"Yes, Cap." The older girl then moves on to the next pair while Chaeyeon and Yujin let out a sigh of relief. 

"Wah, she really wants to drain our energy out like this?" Yujin grumbles as she sat up and rubs her sore arm, "What are we doing these anyway?" 

Chaeyeon chuckled and pulls her friend up to do some simple stretches before continuing with their ensurance training.

 

"We can't be complacent with just a win. You know Kaeun unnie. She won't even stop us from training even if we are the best dance crew in the whole wide world. In fact, she will ask us to train even harder to protect that position." 

"That's true." 

The pair continued to press on with their sets till they heard a shierked from the other side of the room.

 

"Eunbi unnie!" 

Everyone started crowding around the said girl. 

 

When Chaeyeon reaches the older girl, she saw the vice-captain on the ground with her hands wrapped around her ankle and her knee tucked against her chest. Her eyes shut close with tears clenched at the side of her orbs. She was obviously in pain. 

 

"Are you okay?" Worried, Chaeyeon was the first to crouch down and place her hand over Eunbi's, "Did you hurt your ankle?" 

Eunbi was biting on her lower lips as she forced out a nod.

 

"I think she tripped over the rope and twisted her ankle." Sian panicked, "I was too late to catch her before she fell." 

"Can you stand up?" Kaeun questioned while Eunbi said nothing and tried to give it a try but the moment she tried moving her foot, a sharp pain came right after. A cry immediately left her tongue as her fell right back on the ground, "I-I don't think I can..." 

 

Swiftly, Chaeyeon scooped the injured girl up into her arms without much difficulties while scaring Eunbi at her sudden movement. The older girl looked at Chaeyeon, bewildered. 

 

"C-Chaeyeon?" 

"You need to go to the infirmary and get it checked." The younger girl said calmly then turned to Kaeun with Eunbi still in her arms, "I will bring her to the infirmary, you guys should continue. I will update yall later." 

Kaeun agreed then motion the rest to continue their training while Chaeyeon carefully walked out of the studio, not wanting to aggravate Eunbi's injury. 

 

"Hang in there." 

Chaeyeon whispered gently while Eunbi tighten her hold around the latter's shoulder and hide her blushing tear-stained cheeks against the latter's neck. She hope that Chaeyeon wouldn't hear or feel how fast her heart is palpating right now. Having Chaeyeon holding her up like this was the last thing she thought after avoiding the girl like a plague for a whole week. She didn't even realised how much she actually missed being close with the younger girl till now. 

"Are you okay?"

Eunbi knew that Chaeyeon must have asked that because she heard Eunbi's sobs intensifying. Her ankle was still hurting like a , but Eunbi knew that she wasn't crying because of the pain. Her fingers clenched tightly around Chaeyeon's shirt as she forced a sob back. 

"I,,,I'm sorry." 

"What?" 

Sighing, Eunbi swollowed back her tears, "I...I just... missed you." 

 

Chaeyeon halted her tracks and froze up in her spot at the older's soft whisper. She knew that she heard that clearly. It wasn't her thinking too much. Eunbi indeed just apologised and said that she missed her. Chaeyeon's chest clenched at how broken Eunbi sounded. It was till when her arms starts to ache at the weight of the older girl did Chaeyeon remembered that she need to bring her vice-captain to the infirmary room.

Putting her feelings aside, she was hot on her feets once again as she rush get the nurse to tend to Eunbi. 

 

 

***

 

 

"You are lucky that its not that serious. Just try not to walk too much or do any more exercises for the next 2 weeks okay?" Nurse Gayeon instructed while clipping the bandage together, "It will not take that long to heal but go slow. You injured your ankle before didn't you?" 

"How did you know? I don't really have a good ankle."

Gayeon chuckled, "I'm a nurse. I know my stuffs." 

The nurse then turns to Chaeyeon who was waiting patiently while the older girl was being treated, "Lee Chaeyeon right?" 

"Yes, mam." 

"Right. I will leave her to you then. You can send her home?"

"Yes, of course. Thank you Ms.Gayeon." 

The older girl smiled then left the two girls alone. Chaeyeon sighs and went to the seat next to the bed Eunbi was sitting at. 

 

"How are you feeling?"

Eunbi shrugged and looked at her bandaged ankle, "Seems like I won't be able to go for training for the next 2 weeks." 

"I called them to update earlier on while Ms Gayeon was treating you. Kaeun unnie said you should just rest till you fully recover." Chaeyeon informed, "Do you want to rest for awhile more or do you want to go back home now?" 

"Its okay. I can manage on my own. Just go back to training." 

Chaeyeon rolled her eyes, "Kaeun unnie told me to look after you and she excused me from training. If I go back there, she will behead me for leaving her vice-captain alone when she's injured." 

The older girl chuckled, "So you are using me as an excuse to skip training?"

"W-What? No!" Chaeyeon defended, "I just want to make sure that you get home safely!" 

Eunbi looks away, afraid that the younger girl could see her crimson cheeks as slience ensued. It was kind of awkward and Chaeyen wondered if she said something wrong. She rubbed her napped, not knowing what to do. 
 

"I'm sorry."

"For?"

"I made the atmosphere awkward, didnt I?" Chaeyeon winced and huffed. The older girl chuckled, "Shouldn't I be the one apologising?"

"For ghosting on you and for screaming at you back then."

Eunbi looked down on her feet and nibbled on her lower teeth, "I didn't mean to scream at you. I-Its just that... it was at the heat of the moment and...and I just don't want you to get hurt." 
 

"...Who is that guy?" Chaeyeon questioned carefully, "I think I saw him with you the other day at Itaewon's park as well." 
 

The brunette head shot up, appalled. 
 

"Y-You saw us?" 
"Yeah, I-I was with Sakura when I saw you guys." 
 

Eunbi frowned, "Is that why you didn't reply my messages?" 

"I guess so. I was just... you know wondering why you are texing me those while you were on a date with another guy."

"He's... someone my parents set up with." Eunbi sighs heavily, "Some of their business friend's son. They forced me to go on dates with him so that they can get better business deals." 

Unwittingly, Eunbi's hand find its way to grab on Chaeyeon's to seek for some form of comfort. 

 

"It started ever since I told them that I liked girls." 

"What?"

"they said that it was just a phrase and started setting me up with those guys whom they think are good looking and good for me and their reputation." Eunbi chuckled bitterly, "They don't even care about my feelings and how horrible it felt holding hands with those men."

 

Chaeyeon kept shut and kept her ears open, listening tentively to the older girl with a heavy heart.

 

"i told them I didn't like it but they just won't listen. I tried telling them I have a girlfriend and even faked a relationship with one before but they got rid of the girl with a sum of money the very next day I confessed that I had a girl."

The junior clenched her hand, "I-Is fhat why you rejected me? Eventhough you like me?" 

"I won't be able to protect you, Chae." Eunbi's shoulders dropped in defeat, "I can only obey them. They are my parents. They have the authority over me. I have to do what they want me to do..."

"Do they not care about your happiness at all?"

 

A fire in Chaeyeon was starting to burn in anger at how the older's parents were treating their daughter. It was as if Eunbi was just some kind of tool for them to benefit for their business. Eunbi seemed to notice that the younger girl was getting agitated. So she caressed Chaeyeon's clenched fist and shook her head. 
 

"Don't get mad. Its not your problem. Don't take my problem on your shoulders. I won't allow that. You have problems on your plate already." 

"But..." 

Eunbi pulls the younger in and rest her head on Chaeyeon's shoulder, sighing in contentment.

 

"What you can do now is to just stay by my side and be my guardian angel. Can you do that for me?" 

In a heartbeat, Chaeyeon gave the older girl a firm nod and brings her hand up to caress Eunbi's locks, comforting her. 

Just as how Eunbi has comforted her and run to her whenever she just needs someone beside her, Chaeyeon promised Eunbi to be that someone for her as well. Chaeyeon didn't want to push Eunbi further. Maybe she can just be satisfied with just being Eunbi's pillar for now. 

 

"Thank you." Eunbi smiles slightly as she pulls away. 

The taller girl shakes her head, "Its fine. Thanks for telling these to me unnie. Do you want to go home now?" 

 

Eunbi looks at Chaeyeon with a brow arched.

"What about Sakura? Didn't you said you wait for her?" 

"Its still early. I can send you back and come back for her." 

The brunette giggles, "Why does it seems like you are dating two person at once? Meeting up with me then sending me back home then go and meet up with your other date." 

Chaeyeon blinks and stared at Eunbi cluelessly. 

"Huh?"

"Nothing." Eunbi shakes her head, "Alright then. Since you offered, I will just accept it."

"Take me home."

 

 

***
 

 

After sending her senior home, the dancer immediately ran back to school to meet her bestfriend. Running late, Chaeyeon sprinted towards the older's club venue only to see the place vacant with lights off. Frowning, Chaeyeon then went the dance studio thinking that Sakura might have went there to look for her instead. 
 

True enough, Sakura was outside of the studio talking animatedly with the dance captain. Chaeyeon arched her brow, watching Sakura bursting out with laughter at something Kaeun said. A frown set between the girl's brows when Kaeun lays her hand on Sakura's lap.

 

"Hey! Hands off my bestfriend!" Chaeyeon jumps out and pointed towards the hand ontop of Sakura's lap.
 

Both of the girls jolted up in surprise at the sudden intrusion.

 

At the sight of the younger girl, Sakura stood up and smiled excitedly, "Jjaeyeon! You should totally hear this joke its so funny!!!" 
 

Chaeyeon ignores Sakura and glared at her captain, "Kaeun unnie what did I say about hitting on Sakura?" 
 

The older girl chuckled, "She was waiting for you so I thought I should just accompany her until you come back. We don't even know when you will be back." 
 

Kaeun doesn't allow Chaeyeon to respond as she stood up and ruffled Sakura's head much to her teammate's dismay. 
 

"well, since your bestfriend is here. I shall go now. See you tomorrow, Sakuchan!" 

"Thanks for accompanying me!" Sakura grinned and waved at the disappearing figure walking ahead of them.

 

"Lets go!" Sakura grabbed Chaeyeon's arm and linked it together with hers, unaware of how annoyed her bestfriend was currently.

"How long have you been talking to her?"

"Erm. 30 minutes?"

Sakura responded happily and Chaeyeon stopped on her tracks, shooting suspicious glance at the shorter girl. 

"You seem to really like her presence."

If Chaeyeon isn't wrong, then she did see Sakura's blushing a little at her statement. Something is totally off. Chaeyeon could sense it. 
 

"Spill. Did something happen?" Chaeyeon furrowed her brows. 

"Well..." Sakura chewed bashfully on her lower lips, "Kaeun confessed to me awhile back."

"WHAT?" Chaeyeon screamed and stormed on her foot, "I knew it! Ugh! I told her you're off limits!" 
 

The taller girl kept rambling off that she didn't noticed how Sakura turned serious and looked at her, waiting for her to calm down. 
 

"What?" Chaeyeon rolled her eyes, noticing her bestfriend's stares. 
 

"Did you accept her confession?" 
 

Sakura was just this close in strangling her bestfriend to death. Did she just really asked if she accepted Kaeun's confession when she told Chaeyeon about her feelings towards her just recently? 

 

"Why did you tell her that I'm off limits?" Instead of answering, Sakura threw her with another question. 

"I believe that I am still perfectly single. Unless..." Suddenly, she leans in closer to the younger, "Unless you are going to change that???" 
 

Chaeyeon instantly backed off at the close proximity. That action hurted Sakura but she masked it with a mischievous smile. 
 

"Erm. I mean she has to get through me first! Even before she make her move on you. I already put that forth clearly to everyone." Chaeyeon explained herself and honestly, Sakura doesn't really want to hear about it. 

"Whatever." Sakura shrugged, "Let's just go get our ice cream."

 

By now, Chaeyeon could sense that Sakura was upset. As they walked down the streets, Chaeyeon nudged the shorter girl.

"What?"

"A-Are you mad?"

"No." 

 

Sakura wasn't mad, she was just... frustrated at Chaeyeon. She knows that Chaeyeon doesn't look at her the way she does. But why does she have to act like a possessive bestfriend who hates it when she tries to date other people? It kept giving her false hope.

 

"Don't lie. It's all written on your face, Saku." Chaeyeon huffs and grabs onto her friend's arm, stopping her from walking. 

"I'm sorry." 

"Do you even know why you should be feeling sorry for?"

Chaeyeon kept quiet and avoided eye contact with the Japanese making Sakura sigh heavily.

 

"I said yes."

"Huh?"

"I'm dating Kaeun." 

 


Author's note:

Hoho hi guys i know I havent been updating but oh well here's an update XD 

Its gonna end with around 3 chapters more hehe 

Thanks for all of the support! Keep the comments coming! I love reading them :) 

Till next time, loves.