EIGHT

Oɴ Yᴏᴜʀ Sɪᴅᴇ [ DISCONTINUED ]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Lucas?" 

"Yeah?"

"Move your gigantic feet."

"No."

"I will bite you."

"Still a no." 

"Let me do my work." 

"Nope, today is rest day and rest day means no investigating! Come on, even your members are probably all lazing around," Lucas continued to place his feet on Haeun's lap. "We could do something fun like watch a movie or cook something!" 

"We've been doing that all the time and the house is stuffy," Haeun puffed and used all her energy to push his feet away. "That's it! We're going out! Go and get yourself ready." 

As much as Lucas was afraid of stepping outside, he was much more afraid of Haeun's anger if she didn't get any ice cream. "Take the hoodie off, it's too hot," she ordered. "And don't even think of going out with that mask." Lucas managed to convince Haeun and ended up wearing a pair of sunglasses. 

Haeun dragged Lucas around at the mall. They didn't have anything they actually wanted to buy but they enjoyed each others company simply wandering around. And even with sunglasses on, Lucas still managed to attract the attention of ladies. 

"Some things never change, do they?" Haeun folded her arms and scoffed, her eyes glaring at the girls. "You're still the tall handsome guy everyone wants to stare at."

Lucas laughed and placed an arm across her shoulders, "And you're still the same jealous girl from first grade." 

"I was not the jealous type," she defended as they started walking. "I just disliked when the girls would poke fun at me for having a guy best friend. Then, puberty hit you and everyone started asking me to set them up with you." 

"Oddly, you didn't want to get some of this. You kept telling them to go and talk to me by themselves. Weren't you jealous when all the other girls wanted to get some with your best friend?"

Haeun shook her head, "I had a boyfriend back then, remember? We lasted pretty long too before he started saying you were stealing me from him." 

"You were my best friend first before you were his girlfriend and he was right, I ended up stealing you from him in the end," Lucas rested his chin on her head. "Didn't he exchange school after that?"

"Yeah, he did." 

"What was his name again?" 

"Cha... Cha Byun - something, I can't really remember," Haeun spotted a sweet shop and dragged Lucas despite his protests. As they entered the shop, Haeun saw some familiar faces. 

"Mark, Jihyun, nice to see you two," Haeun smiled at her two friends. "On a date, it seems?" 

Jihyun moved closer to Mark, "Same to you two." She had a wide grin as she noticed how close Haeun and Lucas were, "Are you guys back together?" 

Lucas and Haeun turned to look at each other. They weren't sure what to say about their current situation. Luckily, Lucas gave them an answer. "We're still figuring things out right now. We'll see how it ends up," he ruffled Haeun's hair while flashing them a big smile. Haeun could feel her cheeks warming up and wanting to get out of the situation, she grabbed Mark. 

"Hey, he's my boyfriend!" Jihyun pouted. 

"Sorry, I'll give him back in a minute!" Haeun led Mark a few metres away from them before speaking. A comfortable silence fell between Lucas and Jihyun, they weren't exactly really close but close enough to not be awkward with each other. Jihyun saw the look in his eyes as he stared at Haeun - it hadn't changed. With a chuckle, she spoke.  

"I hope you guys get back together, Lucas. I really do," Jihyun gave a soft smile. "Things weren't the same when you left. Haeun got sick, did you know that? Hospitalised and everything. Mark said she fainted during a mission and she didn't wake up until like 3 days later." 

Jihyun could see the surprise in his eyes, so Haeun hasn't told him yet. 

"She missed you a lot too, she won't admit it when she's sober but all she talks about is you when she's gone a bit tipsy. Don't tell her you heard it from me, she'll kill me. When you came back, she was all smiles during her shift at the saloon. She was just - radiating with happiness, something Mark and I haven't seen in a long time. So, Lucas if you want to take her back, you should do it soon." Jihyun gave him a pat on the back just as Mark and Haeun came back. They said their goodbye as the two pairs departed. 

"What's that for?" Lucas asked as he saw the bag with the sweet shop's logo. 

"Not you that's for sure, you hate sweets."

As the two continued their walking, Haeun's phone buzzed. She sees the caller's ID and her eyes lit up. "It's Seonghan," she quickly answers the call and it's clear she's excited. The name isn't unfamiliar to Lucas. He knows who Seonghan was, she was Haeun's best friend (after him, that is). He hears Haeun giggle and his heart skips a beat at the sound. While Haeun is busy talking on the phone, he slips his hand into hers but she doesn't pull away. Haeun isn't even looking at their hands, still busy catching up with her friend. 

"Lunch? Yeah, I could do lunch. Next Saturday's fine with me. Oh! I'll bring an extra person with me," Haeun turns to smile at Lucas. "Yeah, we do have some catching up to do. I'll see you then. Bye." 

"Seonghan sounds great."

"She's a doctor now," Haeun sighs in content. "You know how ambitious she was back in high school. Never doubted she could make it. Seonghan invited me for lunch and I told her you're joining us." 

Lucas rolls his eyes, "Telling someone you're bringing an extra person doesn't mean you told her I'm the one joining you guys."

"Better than saying nothing at all. Come on," she pouts her lips and bats her eyelashes at him, "It's been forever since the three of us sat down together."

And, of course - Lucas could never say no to Haeun. 

 

 

Haeun stepped into the police station and was surprised to see Taeyong already at his desk - usually, she would be the first one to arrive. She hesitated to greet him and eventually decided to keep shut and sat down on her desk. She was still a bit angry with him from their previous argument but she knew they had to make up sooner or later. Haeun was hoping that Taeyong would come in late as he usually did so she could just drop off the box at his desk and not have to explain herself right then and there bu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter