Honesty & Time

Winter Heat

          We go back inside, and the clock shows fifteen past eleven. I walk to the dining table soullessly, and drink my wine in one shot. I won't be able to leave until tomorrow morning the least, anyway.

          Minseok sits in front of me, and pulls the sides of his mouth. "This is not the party I envisioned."

          I sigh. “Shall we just go home tomorrow?”

          Minseok gives a small nod. "About what happened in the evening... Was Jangmi okay? I heard crying sound." Minseok brings up the issue carefully.

          I sway my wine glass back and forth slowly, watching the dark colored liquid creating small waves inside. "Jangmi was having a hard time."

          "What happened to her?”

          I look down to the floor. My curiosity is awakened again. How am I going to talk him into the topic? “She was crying because of something… But later we talked about our high school days… And apologized to me about something.”

          Minseok’s forehead wrinkles for a second. “What is it?”

          “It was about that thing between Jaehyo and me.” I keep my eyes on the wine glass. “She admitted that she did everything she could to make him not ask me to prom.”

          Minseok places a hand on a side of his face, and his head moves back and forth slowly. “So she apologized?”

          “Yeah.” I gulp the rest of my wine. “There’s no reason not to forgive her, it was ages ago. High school drama.” I chuckle slowly.

          “I would have forgiven her too.”

          I grip the stem of the glass. I think I have a chance now. “Minseok, did she do something to you…?” my voice trails off. “I mean—she mentioned it. Kind of.”

          We look at each other, and Minseok’s mouth parts a bit. I get nervous, and try to breathe silently.

          Minseok gets up instead. “It’s midnight soon. There’s a ton of fireworks prepared on the balcony. Let’s dress warmly and celebrate the new year, I’ll wait for you upstairs.”

          I blink twice, and watch Minseok fleeing the dining table. Oh no. I shouldn’t have asked that. I pour more wine to the glass, and plant my forehead to the table before drinking the content in one go.

          I wear my coat and hesitantly go up to the second floor. The area is just as spacious as downstairs. The living room is connected directly to the balcony, and Minseok is already there with his back facing me.

          I walk outside, and it has a very peculiar view with the right side overseeing the sparkly city lights and the other one facing the dark hills. Some places have lighted up some fireworks in a distance. Minseok heard my steps, and turns around. “Look, I’m not sure we could use them all in one night.” he points to a box full of colorful thick long sticks.

          “Wow.” I comment. “We can. One firework per wish.”

          Minseok laughs, and I feel relieved for now. He isn’t mad because of what I asked earlier, right? He looks at his watch. “Less than ten minutes. Want to test it?”

          He skillfully lights one, and I take a step back. Something shoots out to the air with a light pop, but then explodes to a white burst with a loud bomb sound. I gasp, and Minseok cheers excitedly. One stick goes for three explosions, and Minseok offers me one.

          “I’m scared, though.” I say as I grip the stick nervously.

          Minseok prepares to light it up. “I’ll help you. This is the real thing—one minute left.”

          A parade of colors starts decorating the sky. Countdown must have ended in some locations. I look at the sky in awe, and Minseok has a solemn smile on his face.

          “Ready, Yuna?” Minseok burns the end of the stick, and directs it to aim for the sky. The strong blast from the stick makes me stumble, and Minseok reaches for the stick to hold it together. His hands cover mine, and the heat startles me. The sides of our body stick to each other, and I can only stay still, not even focusing on the fireworks.

          “Happy New Year!” Minseok yells. I cheer, and we set off some more fireworks, smaller ones this time.

          “About what I said earlier, one firework per wish… I take it back.” I glance at the many sticks on the box, and Minseok chuckles. He lights up another, a big one, and says a string of wish.

          “For health, family, happiness, success, and love.”

          A rainbow fire flower blooms, and it’s the prettiest one we’ve gotten. We clap among ourselves, and tidy up the used props. We stay outside to watch the night sky and the endless fireworks, leaning on the border on the front part of the balcony.

          “By the way… Your hand.” Minseok takes one of my hands, and examines it. I grit my teeth, and silently feel grateful that it’s quite dark here, otherwise my red face would be visible. “I think it’s a bit—?”

          “Ah, must be some callouses… From baking.” I reply. I slowly pull my hand from him, and laugh awkwardly. Nothing is said between us for a few seconds. A call comes, and I pick it up. Nice timing.

          “Hey girl! Happy New Year!” Hyeyoung shouts, and I pull away my phone from my ears. “Guess what, my sister’s baby just popped out two minutes after the clock hit twelve! It’s a boy!”

          “Happy New Year! Oh my God, congrats!” I exclaim, and Minseok looks at me curiously.

          “So how’s the situation there? What are you guys doing?”

          “Um—” I’m not sure I should tell her I’m all alone with Minseok here. “We’re doing great. I’ll tell you everything later.”

          “Of course, of course, you guys must be partying right now. Alright, see you soon!”

          “Who is it?” Minseok asks.

          “It’s Hyeyoung. It’s a 2019 baby, a nephew.” I grin. Minseok smiles, and ignites a small firework. “For Hyeyoung’s baby nephew!”

          A huge purple colored firework blows up in the sky, and we cheer together. Here’s to countless good things in this new year.

*

          Minseok and I sit facing each other on a picnic table on the corner of the balcony, looking at the scenery. Some fireworks are still popping here and there. Minseok just got back from bringing wine from the first floor, and he’s pouring some to both our glasses. I clear my throat, and fidget with my fingers on my lap.

          “It must be spectacular in spring or summer. Jangmi is so lucky.”

          Minseok nods in agreement, and lifts up his glass for a toast. Our glasses clink, and I sip the drink slowly, waiting for further response.

          “About what you asked earlier.” Minseok starts.

          “Yes?” I bite my tongue. Too quick.

          “It was similar to you and Jaehyo.”

          “What?”

          “That time, after Jangmi broke up with Bae Doyoon, she got close to Jaehyo and went to prom with him, right?” Minseok says, and I listen attentively. “I was there somewhere, in the middle, for a short while.”

          I furrow my brows. What does he mean?

          “After she broke up, I was the one she shared stories to. We went out, had tutoring sessions—just like you to Jaehyo.” Minseok laughs bitterly. “I was happy, because I liked her. All the boys mostly liked her, she was pretty. I didn’t mind being a rebound.

          “One time when we went home together from school, we walked past a store and she fawned over a dress. I regarded it as a hint, and planned to ask her to prom.”

          My own memory of a very similar occurrence surfaces on my mind. It was when we were walking home too when Jaehyo commented that a dress would look good on me for prom…

          “I noticed something—or a few things, were wrong when she started asking some stuff about Jaehyo, and I found out that Jaehyo was also seeing Min Seyi secretly. She suddenly stopped talking to me, and a few days later, the event in the auditorium happened.

          “That time… I also went to the classroom earlier because… I didn’t want to be there any longer. I witnessed what you did in class, and my initial reaction was actually anger, but as I looked at you, I thought I could understand you.

          “I was in a fantasy world, thinking that everything was going so smoothly and happily… Jaehyo was going to the prom with you, and I was going to the prom with Jangmi. An ideal picture. But… In the end things just turned out differently than what I’d imagined.” Minseok shrugs and exhales. “It was my own fault, though. I liked her too much. I could have had spared myself.”

          Minseok ends his story, and I don’t know where to look.

 

December 31st, 2008

          We walk out from the cafe together, and we stand facing each other in front of the cafe. Minseok glances at the paper bag, and inhales.

          "You just gave me a gift, but why do this feel sad?"

          I look down at the ground. “Thank you. And I’m sorry.” I collect the last bits of my energy to speak. A piece of leaf flew past Minseok’s shoes.

          "Don't live like that."

          I feel a squeeze in my heart, and I grit my teeth. "You don't know how it felt."

          Silence.

          I take a breath, and try to make my voice neutral. "Well then... See you at school. Happy New Year."

          I turn around, greeted by the breeze that just happens to blow on my direction. My eyes get moist, but I'm not sure if it's entirely caused by the wind.