High & Low

Winter Heat

          “Can you not go?”

          I eye our united hands, and the warmth makes me tense instead. “Do you… Need more help?”

          I move my sight up to see his eyes, and Minseok looks solemn. Oh no, don’t give me that look.

          “It’s still raining. Wait a bit more.”

          I nod a little. Minseok is still holding my hand, and I don’t know what to do. Minseok gets back to watching TV, but a few moments later, he fidgets on his seat.

          “Having the fireplace on makes it hot in here… Can you help me taking off my jacket?”

          “Oh.” I realize he had the sling over the jacket. “You also need to apply the balm, right?”

          We stand up, and I very carefully unclasp the sling from his arm. The jacket is off, and I look at his elbow. It’s a bit purple contrasting with his white skin, and swollen. I clench my teeth and reach for the medicine bag. “I’ll do this.”

          I sit on the sofa while Minseok sits on a chair in front of me, lifting his elbow to my display. I lightly slather his skin with the balm, afraid it would hurt. As I’m covering the bruise with the medicine, I’m staring at his arm in front of my eyes, and swallow. He’s wearing a plain black tee, and pulls the sleeve up to his shoulders, baring the veiny surface. I think he works out regularly. Also, he smells nice… Is it his shower gel? Or perfume?

          Come to your senses, Lee Yuna, I reprimand myself. I make sure the bruise is covered with the balm evenly, and touch Minseok’s arm to make him put it down. “It’s done.”

          “Thank you, Yuna.” he says. “How about you? You fell too, are you okay?”

          “I’m perfectly fine, that’s why I feel so bad right now.” I sigh. “When are you going back to work?”

          “It’s still winter break, I’m going to start teaching next month.”

          “It’s a relief, then.” I peek at his arm. “Your students will be sad to see you hurt… Minhyung will hate me.”

          Minseok laughs. “It will be fine quickly, don’t worry.” he lands a hand on my shoulder. “Um… The doctor said I should come again after a week. If you’re free, will you come with me to the hospital?”

          “Of course.” I speedily answer. “I’ll go here first since it’s closer to the hospital.”

          A smile blooms on Minseok’s face. He looks like a happy child, and I can’t help but smile too. “Thanks.”

          The rain dies down, and I excuse myself to go home. Minseok follows me to his front door—while holding my hand. “See you soon.”

          I nod, and look at his warm hand clasping mine. “I’m going home. Call me if you need anything.”

          I walk to the taxi while covering the hand Minseok held with another, and let out a deep breath once I’m inside the car. This is not healthy for my heart.

*

          “He’s interested in you. How obvious.” Jangmi matter-of-factly pats the table between us. I’m meeting her for lunch a few days after going to Minseok’s house, and she seems very excited when I told her what happened. I don’t know why I’m telling her this, but I don’t seem to find anyone else, and she's (overly) eager of the thought of me and Minseok getting close on the first place. “…and he did all that while being injured. Imagine what he can do with two fine hands.”

          I choke on my coffee, and Jangmi lets out her high-pitched laugh.

          “Aw, you must be thinking thoughts! It’s okay, we all do and feel it—the thrill of a guy putting hands on you for—”

          “Jangmi.” I cut her. “He was just holding my hand.”

          “I know, but we don’t know what will happen next, hopefully a good one.” she smirks, and my stomach twists. I shake my head, and sip more of my drink.

          “I don’t know, it’s just… He’s a high school friend, and now my brother’s professor and tutor—”

          “All the good reasons to be closer.” Jangmi shrugs. “I want you to be happy now, Yuna. You deserve all the happiness in the world. People who don’t know you well would notice that you and Minseok match well.”

          I quietly look at her. She doesn’t know that Minseok had told me about her, and if she does, she would be more sorry—and possibly even more excited to push us together. “Well, I…”

          “Whoa, you start to make me frustrated. So do you like him or not? Be honest with yourself. Follow your heart.” Jangmi taps her chest twice and nods.

          I sip the rest of my drink in silence, and my heart goes jumpy at the thought of meeting him again in a few days. Let’s just see.

*

          I arrive a bit earlier than scheduled, and press on the bell on Minseok’s door. I hear a muffled “Coming!” from inside afterwards and wait, but nothing happened. I furrow my brows. Should I press again? Why isn’t he opening the door?

          Almost a minute more passes, and I start to get anxious. I have my hand ready on the bell, and then the door handle moves. Minseok appears with a smile, but I notice that he’s breathing hard with noticeable shoulders movement. “Come in.”

          “What were you doing?” I ask. He’s no longer in sling, and wearing jeans and a thin sweater. He wipes a trace of sweat on his forehead, and laughs.

          “I… was getting ready. My elbow is getting better, but the joints still a bit hurt when I move them especially when I’m getting dressed… So it took some time.”

          “I could’ve helped.” I say, worried.

          “Well… I was wearing no top when you came. Thought it’d freak you out.”

          “…oh.” I can feel my face getting hot, and turn my face away. “Then… Need help with the jacket?”

          I put the jacket on him, and we’re ready to go. The trip to the doctor didn’t take much time, and we decide to have lunch near the hospital after that. It seems like a popular place with many pedestrians, and I stay on Minseok’s left side, afraid people would bump on him.

          We have a nice meal in a small eatery with vintage decorations, and I rave on the wooden cutlery. “I want to incorporate these in my bakery. Do you think it’s a good idea?”

          Minseok smiles. “I think it would be great as accessory in the display.”

          I happily examine the pieces and think about the places to find these. “Professor!” two voices are heard calling from the table near us, and a pair of girls approach us. They must be his students. I scan them from head to toe, and try to keep a flat face. They’re both petite, in full make up with blood red lips, wearing knee-long coat, short skirt, and leggings. Aren’t they cold? Do all university students wear those?

          “Oh, you guys are here?” Minseok greets them.

          “What are you doing here, Prof? Are you on a date?” they giggle.

          Minseok laughs a little, and looks at me. “Yeah, we’re on a date.”

          I grit my teeth. The girls let out a long ‘ooh’ and steal glances at me. “Then we’re going. See you at school!”

          I look at Minseok after the girls leave, and he looks at me back curiously. “Why?”

          “Nothing.” I say.

          We go back to Minseok’s house, and he invites me in to have some coffee. We sit in front of each other on his tiny dining table, and he looks at my right hand again. He takes my hand, and I’m not surprised anymore but his warmth make me jittery inside. “It must be painful that time.”

          I smile bitterly. “My mind goes blank after it happened… Hadn’t you come and told me to go to the nurse quickly, it would have been a mess.”

          “Yuna.” he abruptly calls my name, and I get tense. “I have something to say.”

          I attempt to stay relaxed. “Go ahead.”

          “Do you want to go out with me?”

          Minseok said it with an unfaltering voice and serene eyes, and his look pierces through me. His hand on mine feels hotter all of a sudden.

          “Take your time. I won’t push you.” Minseok gently squeeze my fingers. He pulls away, and it feels empty immediately. I think I should say something.

          “I think… I’m going home.”

          I want to punch myself after I said that. That’s all you could say? Minseok looks a bit astounded, but he forms a smile and nods. “Alright. Thank you for accompanying me today. I hope to see you again soon.”

          Minseok walks me to the door, and I turn to face him. “I’ll be going.”

          He takes my right hand, lifts it up, and gives a quick kiss on the back. My eyes widen, and the muscles on my arm turns off, it falls directly to my side once Minseok lets go.

          Minseok smiles. “Be careful on your way home. Also…” he looks at the floor hesitantly. “I’ll be waiting for an answer.”

          I nod. I open the door, take some time to stick my back there, and resist the urge to plop down to the floor. I’ll do that later at home.