Back & Forth

Winter Heat

          I cover my huge yawn as the car goes through the entrance gate of the ski resort, and Minseok laughs a little from the driver’s seat. “Still sleepy?”

          I weakly nod. “I woke up at four. I slept again though, but still.”

          “That early?” he furrows his brows.

          “It’s a habit. I usually go to the bakery at five.”

          “Whoah.” Minseok shakes his head slowly.

          We agreed to pack up earlier and go home after going skiing, and I’m thinking of what Mom would say if I show up at home. She said she wouldn’t let me into the bakery before the vacation ended, and Minhyung is going camping with his friends.

          “Yuna.” Minseok calls my name. “We’re here.”

          My mouth parts a bit to see the full view of the snow-covered resort and slopes from the parking lot, and let out a long, amazed sigh. The contrast of brown buildings and white snow gives off a warm, homey feeling and on the right side of the slopes are the round cable cars going slowly in two directions. Smoke lazily blows out from the chimney on the main building, and I excitedly head that way.

          I smile in satisfaction as I see the fireplace on the reception hall, and Minseok curiously follows from behind. “Why?”

          “Nothing. I just… Like it so much.” I answer. Minseok looks a bit confused and says nothing, and I feel a little bit embarrassment from getting too happy over a fireplace.

          I’m not talented in both skiing or snowboarding, so I end up with a sled while Minseok skillfully slide down the slopes with a bright green snowboard he rented. There aren’t many people around, maybe they’re still exhausted from the party last night. I’m tired of going up and down and decide to just stay on the area below, taking pictures of the view and sometimes Minseok.

          “I should take yours too then.” Minseok says as we look through the photos I took after he went down the slope. “You should send them to Minhyung, maybe he’ll get jealous.”

          I laugh and pick up my sled to go up. I wave from the top to signal him, and Minseok waves back with my phone on one hand. I slide down, going to his direction on purpose so he could get clearer view of me.

          But a few feet before I arrive to the area below, I realize Minseok is not moving from his current position—he still has his snowboard on. He’s completely focused on the phone screen, and I can do nothing besides a gasp and one late panicked “Minseok!”

          The next thing I know, I’m thrown to the thick snow after colliding with him. I’m lying on my back, and seeing the sky when I open my eyes. I see Minseok squirming on my side. “Minseok, are you okay?”

          “I’m okay.” he says, then he starts giggling. “All this space and we crashed into each other… Oh, here’s your phone, it’s safe.”

          My phone is my least concern right now. I exhale, and support my body with my elbows. I try to stand up, but Minseok touches my arm.

          “Can we stay like this for awhile?”

          I look at him, and he’s still lying down, looking at me. I slowly let my head down again, and look at the bright grey sky. The sides of our jackets touch, and I’m silently getting nervous. I haven’t been in this kind of situation before.

          We’re just lying down without words, looking at the sky, breathing in the cold air. As someone who spends her days in the warm, sheltered bakery, sometimes going out is bothersome for me. Turns out it could be comforting like this too.

          “Aigoo, look at those youngsters.” a pair of old ladies walk past us. I sit up in one go and jump to get on my feet. I awkwardly brush snow off my jacket and pants. Minseok is still lying down.

          “Minseok? Can you get up? Shall I help you?”

          Minseok keeps lying down with a flat face, like he belatedly realized something. He swiftly glances at his left arm. “My elbow… Kind of hurts.”

*

          “I don’t find any serious indications from outside, but you might want to go to the hospital for further examination.” the doctor of the resort clinic informs us as she puts Minseok’s arm in a sling. I sit near the bed with drooped shoulders, and rub my face once. Minseok turns to me, and smiles.

          “Don’t worry, I’m okay.”

          “I’m so sorry.” I slowly say.

          “It’s fine, I also forgot to take off the snowboard, silly me.” he laughs. “Now we need to call a designated driver.”

          “Since we’re meeting Jangmi in the hospital, let’s get you examined there.” I say. Luckily we got a designated driver quickly, and we’re heading to the city to return Jangmi’s car.

 

 

          “What are you doing here? You’re supposed to get back tomorrow! Where’s Minseok?” Jangmi looks hilariously mad as she walks towards me in the hospital lobby.

          I nervously smile. “He’s in the ER…”

          “What? Why?”

          I explain what happened, and Jangmi looks disappointed. “What the hell… I left you two alone, hoping something would happen. Wait, you still have a chance!”

          “What chance?” I mumble.

          “Go to his house, take care of him! Maybe something will happen!”

          I close my eyes. “Nothing will happen. Anyway, shall I go see your mother-in-law?”

          “No need to, she’s not even sick.” Jangmi sneers. Her phone rings, and she rolls her eyes. “I should go. I’m sorry I can’t go see Minseok, relay my wishes.”

          I hand her the car keys, and go back to the ER. Minseok is already on the waiting room, holding a small paper bag. “Minseok, how is it?”

          “Nothing is wrong, I was just given a balm. It should be fine in a week, maximum.” he looks relaxed. I nod, and look at his sling.

          “Minseok… Do you live with your family?”

          “No, I live alone. Why?”

          I swallow. “I’ll go with you and see if you need some help. Then I’ll leave. Can I do that? I feel bad.”

          “Really? You don’t need to, though.” Minseok glances at his arm, and then shrugs a bit. “But I feel like I might regret what I said later at home.”

          We laugh a little, and outside we hail a taxi to go to Minseok’s house. He lives in the second floor of an apartment building, with only stairs access. I see him limping a bit earlier, and I worriedly look at him. It seems like it still hurts, noticing his speed on walking up the stairs, but he says nothing. I adjust my steps, and we finally arrive in front of his door.

          “Welcome.” Minseok says as he opens the door. “Please excuse this dirty bachelor pad.”

          I’m used to see Minhyung’s messy bedroom so I don’t really have any expectations, but I furrow my brows once we get inside. It’s clean… Squeaky clean. “’Dirty’… Right.”

          Minseok laughs. He sits on the sofa, and I look around the living room. My eyes widen upon seeing something on one side of the wall. “Oh!”

          Minseok looks at what my eyes are directed at, and smiles. “Yeah… It’s an electric fireplace. Earlier today I wanted to say that I had one at home… But I think it would be too weird. I didn’t expect you to come here.” he chuckles. “It’s not like the one we saw at the ski resort though… The warmth will be different than the real wood one.” Minseok adds.

          I walk closer to it, fascinated. “It’s cool.” I comment. I glance at the kitchen, and realize we haven’t eaten lunch. “Can I fix you a meal? Do you have food in the fridge?”

          Minseok lets me open it, and I’m not even surprised to see ingredients and sides stacked neatly on the racks. I’m ashamed to admit that I’m not even this diligent in cleaning and arranging my fridge.

          I cook a simple kimchi stew since there are already many side dishes, and tensely follow Minseok’s movements as he sits in front of me to eat. He tastes the stew, and nods in approval. “It’s delicious!”

          “It’s a relief.” I say. “I’m not confident in cooking. I’d rather bake.”

          “I can say you’re good at both.” Minseok assures. “Thank you for helping me. Oh, I think this is the first time I eat with someone at home.”

          Silence follows, and we continue eating. We finish around the same time, and I waste time by looking around. Minseok’s place is dominated by white, with a modern, symmetrical design that youth nowadays prefer. My eyes direct back to the front, and catch Minseok’s sight. I look down immediately.

          There’s a movement from Minseok, and I spy his uninjured hand stretches out to my direction. He takes my right hand, and I’m so surprised that I turn completely still.

          He looks at the fading white scar on the back of my hand, and looks at me with wistful eyes. “Is this from that time?”

          His hand is soft and warm, and I’m too focused on that, I almost can’t hear his question. “Y-yeah.”

          He traces the scar with his thumb, and the memory of last night fills my mind again. I softly pull my hand away, and put it on my lap. “After hearing your side of the story, I’m even more sorry now. I have said hostile things to you in the past, thinking that I was the only one who was hurt, and even tried to justify the things I did.”

          Minseok touches his glass. “I guess we were the same that time… Two broken-hearted people.”

          “But you weren’t bitter enough to do… Whatever I did.”

          “At least it remained a secret.” he forms a little smile. “It was nice of Jangmi to admit her mistakes. As for that brat Jaehyo…” Minseok laughs.

          I smile, and shrug. I clean up the dishes, and Minseok turns on the electric fireplace. “I hardly use this, I’ll keep this on because you’re here.”

          I grin as water runs on my hand. After I washed the dishes I join Minseok on the right side of the sofa, watching TV. It’s raining outside, the perfect weather to take a nap. I silently exhale. I think I’ll wait for a bit, then go home.

          The sofa is small, just right for two people. We’re only separated by a few inches, and I constantly move closer to the edge, clinging to the armrest, to make sure I won’t bump to Minseok’s side.

          We’re watching a talkshow, but the sound is overpowered by the rain outside. The tendency to close my eyes is getting stronger, and after a few minutes, I give in.

 

          The sound of rain is still the same, or even louder, when I open my eyes. My vision gets clearer, and I blink a few times. I wasn’t seeing this part of the room last time. Also, I’m leaning on something softer and warmer than the armrest.

          I straighten up my back hurriedly after I realized I was leaning on Minseok, and he lets out a little laugh. “Are you awake? You must be tired, after cooking and all."

          “Oh—no, no. Sorry.” my head is dizzy after the sudden movement. “I think—I’m going home.”

          “What are you doing? It’s still raining hard.”

          “No, it’s okay.” I clear my throat, and get ready to stand up. “I should—”

          I’m halfway from getting on my feet when Minseok takes my hand and gently pulls me back to my seat.

          “Can you not go?”