You & Me

Winter Heat

          The next day, I’m absentmindedly vacuuming the house while my parents are in the bakery. I open the door to Minhyung’s bedroom and frowns when I see the owner curling on the bed, covered with the blanket, sleeping soundly.

          “Wake up.” I pull the blanket, revealing his spiky bed hair. “Thought you didn’t go home.”

          Minhyung groans, and pulls the blanket over him again. I pick up some clothes on the floor, and heave a deep sigh. “God, look at your room. Spare some time to tidy up, really… Live like a human.”

          Minhyung starts snoring. I roll my eyes, and arrange a few scattered books on the shelves. So different with what I saw in Minseok’s—

          I close my eyes. Minseok. My heart races every time I remember him now.

          I close Minhyung’s bedroom door, and drag the vacuum cleaner with me. I should meet him, but even planning to message him makes my hand tremble so much.

*

          Mom convinces me to take more vacation days, but there’s suddenly an abrupt order of a hundred cupcakes for a local event. I’m too eager to distract myself and offer to handle it in one night, and as a result I woke up after a sleep with high fever, enough to make me feel I’m melting in my bed.

          “This is because you were so stubborn, even went as far as locking the bakery so we couldn’t get in to help.” Mom scolds me as she lowkey slaps my forehead with wet towel while I’m lying in my bed. “What do you want to eat? I’ll have it delivered.”

          “I’ll call you later.” I mumble as I move the towel a bit so it doesn’t cover my eyes. My parents leave for the bakery, and Minhyung has left even earlier for a campus event. The medicine starts to kick in, and I fall asleep.

          I wake up bathed in sweat, and my head fortunately feels lighter. I sit on my bed for a few minutes, collecting my soul. I go out from my room to get some water, and stay in the living room. I’m checking my phone and there’s a message from Minseok.

 

Oh! They look amazing!

 

          It’s a reply for the photo of cupcakes I made. We’ve been messaging each other regularly, but neither of us talk about his confession. But surely he’s waiting for an answer, isn’t he? It’s been almost a week since I went to his house. I should give my answer soon.

          Also what about Minhyung? What is he going to think if his sister is dating his professor? I sigh, and stare at the screen longingly. I’ll think about this again, maybe later when I get better.

          I’m taking my next dose of meds when my phone rings, and Jangmi’s name pops out.

          “Hey! I’m at your bakery! There are your parents and your brother here. He’s a handsome young man, by the way. I heard you’re sick?”

          I scoff. “Yeah, so I’m staying home.”

          “Well I just passed by, I’m not going to stay long. See you later, then. Get well soon.”

          “Alright, thanks.” I cough again after I hung up.

          In the evening I hear the gate opening outside while I was lying on the sofa in the living room. I hear footsteps of two people… Maybe it’s Mom and Dad.

          “I’m home.” Minhyung’s voice is heard after the door is opened, and I turn to see the door. A figure follows after him, and I expect it to be Yukhei. I realize the man is slightly shorter, with darker hair.

          “Oh my God.” I cover my face with the blanket and sit up once I realize who that is. Minseok walks towards me with a small smile, and I press my back to the sofa. Minhyung throws me a cold look, and silently heads to his room in the second floor. What’s up with him? I’ll deal with him later—Minseok is here.

          “Why—how—what brings you here?”

          He sits beside me, removes his scarf with ease and pats his knees. He’s wearing a black coat with ivory turtleneck beneath. “I went to the bakery, but you weren’t there. So I followed Minhyung here.”

          I’m staring at him emptily.

          “You’re unwell again now. So that’s why you haven’t replied to my message. Minhyung told me you spent an all-nighter for an order.” Minseok says, concerned. He reaches for my forehead to feel the temperature, and I’m worried the heat goes up right at that moment.

          “Uh… Yeah.”

          Minseok looks at the floor for a second, then hesitantly opens his mouth. “Speaking of Minhyung… He said that he knew we spent the New Year’s vacation together, only the two of us.”

          My eyes widen. “How did he—?!”

          Minseok raises his eyebrows. “That’s what I want to ask you.”

          My head spins. What? Who? When—? I remember Jangmi’s call a few hours ago. She must have told Minhyung. That girl, really… I put a hand on my forehead and exhale. That’s why he gave me that look earlier. “I think I know.”

          “He… didn’t seem pleased.”

          “He also used to be like that in the past… I think it’s a brother thing.” I shake my head.

          “’Used to’?”

          My smile fades, realizing the implication. “I mean—back then—well—a few—”

          Minseok grins. “Of course. We have somes, exes and so on.”

          I let my head down and laugh, and so does Minseok. I cough, and he hurriedly hands me the glass I put on the table beside the sofa. After sipping some water, silence washes over us and I take a deep breath.

          Is it the right time to give my answer? This might be an odd moment, but I don’t want to drag more time. He’s here now. I don’t want him to wait longer.

          “Minseok.”

          His big eyes catch me, and I swallow.

          “About… that.” I start, and my chest starts drumming inside. “I’m going to give my answer now.”

          Minseok looks at me intently, and I grip onto the cup on my lap.

          “But first… Are you sure?”

          Minseok furrows his brows, surprised by my question. “Why shouldn’t I be sure? Do you have something you’re hiding?”

          “Not really.”

          “Is your bakery perhaps a secret spy service, like Kingsman?”

          I laugh, and Minseok smiles. “Close, it was about spies.”

          Minseok tilts his head. “Of course. Minhyung.”

          “Two, if I assign Yukhei.”

          Minseok chuckles, and his eyes form distinct crescent shape. “Do you think I would be swayed by the female students?”

          “If they all look like the ones we met that time...” I shrug. “I think it would be easy.”

          “It won’t happen.” Minseok shakes his head while laughing. “Anyway, so it’s about Minhyung?”

          I bite my lip. “I just think it might feel awkward for him.”

          Minseok looks at his lap, and slowly nods.

          “…but if he wants his sister to be happy, he needs to accept that.”

          Minseok lifts his head to look at me, and I meet his eyes. “So…?” he stalls his word.

          I smile to him. “I can’t not say yes.”

          I’m witnessing the change on Minseok’s face as if it’s on slow motion—his lips bloom into a wide smile, his nose crunches, and his eyes sparkle. I’m smiling myself, and thinking of something.

          “Can I ask one more thing?”

          Minseok readily nods.

          “When did it start?”

          His lips curl, and lets out a small ‘hmm’.

          “That time… In Jangmi’s wedding.” Minseok folds his lips. “I think it started there. You looked beautiful in that dress.”

          My face is burning, and it’s not because of the fever. I didn’t even remember what I wore that day.

          “I wanted to talk more, but you left early. I got your contacts, but hesitated, afraid you’d think strangely.” he smiles sheepishly. “The very next day, I didn’t even realize that I was here, in your own home. But…” Minseok laughs. “You asked me to leave.”

          I blink twice. “Oh… That time when I was sick… When you were tutoring the boys.”

          We snicker together, and Minseok pulls the blanket over me. “Don’t ask me to leave now.”

          “Of course I won’t.”

          I look at his hair, eyes, nose, and lips, recording the view with my eyes. I wish I could meet him every day, starting now.

 

2009, Spring

Graduation Day

          Cherry blossoms shyly peek out from the trees, decorating the delightful graduation day. The school’s front yard is filled with students and their family members after the graduation ceremony, with various kinds of flowers in sight. I’m having a photo spree with Hyeyoung and a few other classmates with Dad holding the camera and Mom proudly watching us while clasping my diploma on her hands. Minhyung stands grumpily beside them with hands folded on his chest, irritated after Mom refused to buy him ice cream earlier.

          The others go back to their families, and I stand facing my parents and Minhyung. “Shall we go? I want to have lunch at—”

          My eyes meet Minseok’s sight who is standing a few meters behind Dad with his parents. He smiles first, and I struggle to smile back. My parents notice my expression and turns around, and Minseok exchange bows with them.

          “Is that a friend? Do you want to take a picture with him?” Dad asks.

          “No.” I quickly answer. “Let’s just go.” I say as I lead the way towards the gate without looking again at Minseok’s direction.

          I wish I wouldn’t have to meet him again in the future.

 

Present

          It’s nearing the end of winter, and today would be our official first date after we started dating. Minseok said he’d be at the campus, and we arranged to meet there. I’m bringing freshly made bread, expecting to meet his coworkers.

          “Hello.” I approach the security guard of the building carefully. “Do you know where Professor Kim Minseok’s office is?”

          “You can get to the third floor by elevator, and turn to the left wing. Each professor will have their own placards on their door.”

          “Thank you.” I head to the elevator, and squeeze my bag strap. So they have their own rooms? I thought there would be a joint office or something. I slowly walk along the third floor’s left corridor, and look at each professor’s door. I find Minseok’s room on the right side near the end, and I stare at the name placard for a few seconds. I’m dating a professor.

          I knock the door three times, and wait. I hear Minseok’s cheerful ‘yes?’ from inside, and I help myself to open the door. A thought passes my head about how Minseok would look today. I’ve been seeing him in casual winter clothes, and I think he teaches with similar style. The last time we met at our bakery a few days ago, he was wearing light blue parka and white beanie that makes him seem even younger. I smile a bit thinking about it, wondering how someone so kidlike has his own office.

          The door is opened, and my smile fades upon seeing an unidentified male sitting behind the desk, scribbling something on a paper. Minseok lifts his head, and gives me a smile. Wait, is this even the Minseok I know?

          The man I’m seeing has his hair neatly pulled back, wearing a fitted white shirt and black tie. He has frameless glasses above his nose, and rather than making him look older, it makes him appear more his age. I almost pull the door back close.

          “I think I’m mistaken.” I mutter. Minseok laughs slowly, and signals me to come inside. I carefully sit in front of him, and puts the bread box on the table. “Um… I’m bringing this, thinking you’d share this with your coworkers.”

          “Oh thanks, I’ll put this in the pantry.”

          “So… What were you doing?”

          “There was a meeting with the founders.” Minseok touches his tie.

          “You look… Different.”

          Minseok smirks—wait, did he just smirk? He finishes writing on the paper, and sets aside his pen. “How different?”

          “Do you dress like this often? I really need to assign spies if it’s this way.”

          Minseok slowly laughs. He takes off his glasses, and walks to my seat. I silently grab the sides of my seat. He sits on the side of the table in front of me, and I swallow hard.

          He places his hands on the armrests, and I’m officially trapped. His face gets closer to mine, and I hold my breath.

          As I feel his breath brushing the side of my face, I put my palms on his chest. “Are you insane? Inside your office?”

          “Exactly, because we’re inside my office.”

          My vision goes dark even before I close my eyes, and Minseok’s lips cover my own. I still have my hands on his chest, and I pinch a part of his shirt.

          It was a swift, warm kiss, and it ended before I could realize it. Minseok still stays close to me, and I try not to breathe audibly. “You shouldn’t… Do this… At work.” I say.

          “I’m not technically working now.” he whispers, and I curl my fingers to hear his slightly hoarse voice.

          “Okay so… When are we going outside?”

          Minseok smiles, and gives me a light peck on the lips. It was quick, but I’m exploding inside. “Alright, let’s go. I’ll tidy up a bit first.”

          Minseok loosens his tie with one hand, and I need to let my eyes down before I get crazier. He notices my expression, and slightly sneers. “What? It’s a bit hot in here.”

          I look at him, and and nod. “Sure it is.”