Lights Hung High

Lights Hung High
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

{Monday, December 17, 2018- 8 days before Christmas Day}

 

Jeonghan wakes up and is met with cold feet and a po2unding on his apartment door.

 

With a lazy groan, Jeongan flips over on his bed, face smushed into the pillow, in a vain attempt to block out the sound of a certain someone knocking on his door much too early for a cold Monday morning. The man remains lying in bed for a good 30 seconds, just to see if the person would go away, but the incessant rapping never ceases. In fact, it seems to him that it only got louder.

 

"Yoon Jeonghan! I know you're in there, haul your lazy out of your nest-like excuse for a proper bed and come and do something with us!" a sing-songy and rather cheery voice rang loudly from outside his door. Said lazy remained swaddled in his admittedly messy pile of blankets and ignored the voice calling him. Just as he was about to wonder who the other half of the "us" is, a voice that he recognizes as one of his best friends, Jisoo, protests in a soft weary tone, "Seokminnie, let's not wake Jeonghan if he's asleep, okay? He's been tired lately because of his writing and dancing at school, so maybe we could come back later?" Despite the listed reasons, Seokmin begins to whine to him about how "Jeonghan-hyung needs to have some fun with friends sometimes, I get lonely."

 

Jeonghan sighs yet again as he thinks, "Too late, I'm already awake, Jisoo. But THANKS for the thought, anyhow."  He rolls over and out of bed, not even bothering to fix his messy bedhead as he stands up, blinking the sleep from his eyes and running a hand through his long messy locks.

 

Slowly making his way down the short bookshelf staircase from his loft bed with a few quiet creaks, Jeonghan looked around his living room at the relatively clean space, finding the contrast between the warmly lit, friendly room, and his coffee table piled high with papers and equipment almost comical.

 

There were art supplies and lyrics, music equipment and character outlines, poetry and choreography ideas, staff paper and canvases, and all the like, strewn across the wood and glass table in a chaotic mess. Jeonghan simply sighed and scratched at the back of his head in exasperation before walking to open the door for his friends.

 

"Hey, guys-"

 

"Hi, Jeonghan-hyung!!!" 

 

"Wha-ACK, HEY!"

 

Upon unchaining the door, Jeonghan was immediately assaulted by hugs and kisses from two of his sweet but noisy and clingy dongsaengs that apparently decided to get the whole group together, seeing as there were five of them standing outside in the cold, and he shivered at the sudden cold gust of air that swept into his apartment through the now wide open door. Jeonghan took a step back from the door to see Junhui and Seokmin smiling at him after the hug attack, and Jisoo, Wonwoo, and Seungcheol, staring at him with laughter and amusement b in their eyes; he could practically hear their guffaws already.

 

Jeonghan simply rolled his eyes at the group and stepped aside to let them in.

 

"So, what do you guys want from me this early?" the still slightly sleepy man questioned the shivering group, walking into the kitchen to make a cup of coffee. 

 

"Well. First things first. I wanna explore. Your place is flipping cool," Seokmin mumbles in awe, turning to look around the stylish ivory and mint green apartment. He spied a few doors around the space leading to a bathroom, a closet, and Jeonghan's own makeshift private art studio/recording room. Everything was organized neatly, from the throw pillows on the couch and seemingly carelessly placed beanbag chairs on the fluffy rug, to the climbing staircase with a built-in bookshelf that led up to Jeonghan's lofty nest of a bed.

 

Everything was in its place. Except for the table.

 

Seokmin and Junhui eyeballed the coffee table a second time as if they couldn't believe that their sweet and carefree hyung could have so much work to do, while Jisoo and Wonwoo carefully tiptoed up the staircase one at a time, seemingly afraid the delicate-looking bookshelf would collapse under their weight. That left Seungcheol staring up at the high ceiling, admiring the unique light fixture that seemed to be a handful of vintage lightbulbs dangling from industrial-style rope; the entire thing gave off a modern pirate ship vibe that contrasted with the clean-cut design of the room, and Seungcheol looked dazed as he was absorbed in the intriguing design.

 

Meanwhile, Jeonghan had finished making and pouring his cup of coffee, and when he turned around to see his friends so interested in his home, he chuckled into his mug, taking a sip of the warm liquid and leaning against the kitchen island.

 

"Hey, didn't you guys come here for something?" Jeonghan called out to his friends, seeking their attention.

 

"H-huh? What did you say, Hannie?" They all turned towards Jeonghan as Seungcheol blinked out of his daze and answered him. They all stared at Jeonghan as if he had appeared out of thin air. It was ticking him off because he had sacrificed precious sleep for this.

 

"YOU BRATS. WHAT DO YOU WANT WITH ME!?!" They all blink once, twice, then start talking all at the same time.

 

"Jeonghan-ah, won't that light fall down? It's beautiful, but it looks dangerous."

 

"Hannie, your bed is very messy... Do you want me to help you clean up?? I'll do it!"

 

"Hyunggggg, do you have fOOd? I want jEllY sNaCkS."

 

"Hyung, your apartment is Very Nice... It's quite stylish, as expected of you, Jeonghan-hyung. OOH, BOOKS!! I LOVE IT."

 

"JeOnGhAn-hyUng!! What is this on the table?! WAIT, IS THAT A BUG!!??!?! Oh wait, nevermind, it's a piece of drawing charcoal. Ahahahaaa..."

 

Jeonghan pinched the bridge of his nose in between his fingers, getting annoyed at all the talking. He set down his mug noisily on the kitchen island, watching as they all went silent immediately. His gaze bored holes into their own and they all dropped their eyes to the ground and mumbled, "We're sorry, Jeonghan."

 

Jeonghan watched for a second before moving to the pantry, pulling out a small cup of jello he always kept in case he was going out with Jun. He got a small spoon and a tissue then walked over to Junhui to give him the jello.

 

"Here you go, Junnie." The Chinese boy smiled and thanked him, moving to the couch to eat silently as he walked away. 

 

"Seungcheol, the light isn't going to fall, so

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter