Chapter Eleven

I See You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For a moment, you did not know what to do. You were surprised when Joohyun's mom suddenly cried. You expected Mrs. Bae to be surprised, probably be suspicious if you're telling the truth, laughed at your face, or anything. Anything but this.

 

“Omo, omo, omo, omo.” You were panicking, unable to think of anything to help the old woman at that moment. You silently scolded yourself. You shouldn't have told that thing to Joohyun's mom when it was just your first time meeting each other.

 

“M-Mrs. Bae, I-I'm so sorry. I-I didn't mean to make you cry. It was not my intention to make you feel bad. I'm really so sorry," you said, panic could be heard in your voice. You pulled out the handkerchief out of your pocket and offered it to the woman. “I-I haven't used this, Mrs. Bae. I'm sorry, I don't know what to do…”

 

To your relief, Mrs. Bae accepted it and wiped the tears off her face. You looked at her worriedly. You unconsciously started cracking your knuckles in anxiety. “I really am so sorry, Mrs. Bae. I-I shouldn't have just said it to you like that. I'm sorry if I upset you or anything. I promise, It was not my intention. A-Are you feeling much better now, Mrs. Bae? Do you need anything? Water? Water, right? I should really get you some water. I will just get you some water, Mrs. Bae. Just wait here for a while—” You were about to stand up and go to their kitchen when a gentle hand stopped you from moving. 

 

You looked at Mrs. Bae and gulped. This is it. She's going to ask me to get out of her house and leave. I'm so ing stupid, I cannot believe I managed to ruin everything just like that. You and your stupid mouth, Seulgi, I swear—

 

“Seulgi.”

 

“Y-Yes, Mrs. Bae?”

 

“Just sit.”

 

“S-Sit?” 

 

Mrs. Bae nodded and gave you one of her gentle smiles. You visibly relaxed when you saw that. However, you were still confused of what was happening and was even more confused of the fact that the woman was now smiling at you. It was a complete 180 degree turn from her crying just a while ago but you still obeyed and stayed seated while facing the other woman. Indications of her crying like her slightly red nose and watery eyes were still there. But despite of the concern that you were still feeling, the old woman's smile was somehow making you feel like everything was okay and that you shouldn't worry too much. Mrs. Bae, just like Yeri, was a warm person.

 

Mrs. Bae released her hold on your arm, not without giving it a soft squeeze first. She sighed. “First of all, I want to say sorry for my…breakdown a while ago. That thing you said… I did not expect that.”

 

“I-I really am sorry—”

 

“It’s okay, Seulgi,” she said. “That’s not something that you should be sorry for. I am actually glad that you told the truth to me. I'm glad that you were honest.”

 

You sighed in relief. 

 

“You know… I actually did not expect that I would still be given this chance to meet you. Not the Seulgi the idol, of course. I'm talking about Seulgi, my Joohyun's soulmate.” She continued. “She’s known about the concept of soulmates ever since the time she learned how to ask me to tell her a bedtime story. Her father and I are soulmates and our love story was her favorite bedtime story. She never got tired of hearing it over and over again. And every single night, she would always tell me how much she wanted to finally see and meet you, Seulgi. You'd see it in her eyes, how much hope there was every time she looked at the mirror wishing that this time, she could finally see a completely different pair of eyes staring back at her. When that accident happened, she changed. She became reserved. Quiet. She completely avoided all the things that would remind her of you. She had this collection of books all about soulmates and she asked me to take them all away. She refused to talk to me about that and I am not certain why. But maybe, maybe she felt like when that accident happened, she did not just lost her father and her eye sight... She lost you, too. She thought she lost you, too, Seulgi.”

 

You felt a lump in your throat after hearing the story. Knowing that there was a time when Joohyun didn't despise you… Knowing that there was a time when Joohyun longed for you… You wanted to hate the Universe for taking that away from you. You hated it for doing that to Joohyun. “Am I… Am I too late?”

 

“No, Seulgi. No.” She held your hand. “There is a reason why you still met each other after all the things that happened. There is a reason why you are now in her life. That accident might have taken away Joohyun's capability to see your reflection in the mirror and to see you now. But fate is fate. If you are for each other, then you are for each other. Now it's up to you both to make it work. And I know you will make it work.”

 

She sighed and looked at you. The tears in her eyes were starting to form again and she was trying so hard to stop her lips from trembling. “Please make my daughter happy again, Seulgi. Please…”

 

You let your tears fall. You squeezed Mrs. Bae's hand, reassuring her of only one thing. “I will make her happy again. I promise.”

 

“Seulgi?” You looked at the source of that voice and found Yeri standing at the doorway, groceries in hand. “You're early. What… What's going on here? Why are you two crying?”

 

You cleared your throat and immediately wiped your tears. “Oh, uh. Nothing. We were just talking about things.” You could feel Yeri's stare at you while you were standing up. When you looked at her again, Yeri still had this questioning look in her face but the songwriter decided to drop the subject and looked at her mother who was now taking the groceries out of her hand.

 

“Did you tell her already, Mom?”

 

“Tell me what?”

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter