Chapter Eight

I See You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“N-No?” you uttered, your voice barely a whisper. You would not lie and say that you didn't expect Joohyun's answer. Of course you did. But it didn't make this any less painful. You’d expected rejection. But you still hadn't gotten used to the pain. You didn't think you would ever be. You clenched her jaw.

 

“Unnie please, just give Seulgi a chance—”

 

“Yerim.” Joohyun said in a low but firm tone. You saw Yerim closed her lip tight and breathed deeply a couple of times like she was trying to stay calm. You felt bad for her. “I know what you're trying to do and I'd like for you to stop. This isn't up for discussion. If you don't want to drive me to work, I'm sure I can manage by myself. I don't need your friend here to do it for me.”

 

She said the last sentence in that tone that made you want to cry. You bit your lip, stopping yourself from shedding even a single tear. No, you would not show her that you're hurting. Joohyun could try and try but you would not give her a reason to think that you're giving up. You'd fight more than ever. You would not stop. With that thought in your mind, no matter how broken it looked, you smiled.

 

“It’s okay, Joohyun. I understand.” you cleared your throat and pulled out from your coat's pocket the banana milk that you had brought with you.

 

After hesitating for a minute, you cautiously reached for Joohyun's free hand and gently clasped the latter's fingers around the drink. You didn't fail to hear the gasp you heard from Joohyun and how your own heart started to beat wildly in your chest when you finally got the chance to hold Joohyun's soft and cold hand.

 

You couldn't stop yourself from running your thumb over the back of Joohyun's hand while staring lovingly at it. It felt so good. Like you had finally got a hold of something so precious and so rare. It's amazing how a simple touch could make you feel this kind of contentment. You sighed. 

 

“Take this. I heard you like your banana milk every morning.” You looked again at Joohyun and smiled. “I’m not gonna force you now to get inside my car and let me drive you to your work but this doesn't mean that I'm giving up, Joohyun. I'm going to try and do this every time I get the chance.”

 

“I’ve waited for this moment to come. I've waited for years. It would be a shame if I'd just give up just like that, wouldn't it? You're my soulmate, Joohyun and I… You're important to me. I'll make you feel how much.” You immediately missed holding her when she let go of your hand. You stopped yourself from reaching out to her again and took a few steps back.

 

You bowed at Joohyun. “See you later, Joohyun. Take care. And please, drink that banana milk.”

 

°°••°°••°°••°°••°°••°°••°°••°°••°°••

 

“Unnie?”

 

Joohyun was busy arranging the things she'd used a while ago when she heard Lisa's voice. She just finished her last massage and she was now alone inside the room. She faced the direction where she thought Lisa was and slightly bowed at her. “Lisa. Hi.”

 

“Hi, unnie.” Joohyun heard movements then felt Lisa's presence near her right after. She felt the blonde sit on the massage table that was just occupied a while ago. “How are you doing?”

 

“I'm fine.” Joohyun said, still confused as to why the blonde was here with her. Lisa didn't usually approach her like this. Most of the time, she was just doing her own thing, talking to some of their customers, casually checking her employees’ work, sometimes chatting with them but not like this. It was very unusual of her to approach her like this just to talk so Joohyun thought that maybe the blonde needed her for something. Even though she's not yet hungry, she was really planning to take her lunch break right after she finished arranging her things because she's feeling more tired today than usual. There were just so many things inside her head right now because of a certain singer and it's giving her a headache so she's kind of not in a good mood today because of it. She would love to just go home, if she's being honest, but she's afraid that her thoughts would be louder there than here. Damn you, Seulgi.

 

“Do yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter