VII

Waltz for the Thirsty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 7

Seulgi goes earlier than usual to meet Sooyoung in the subway. After eight months of busking, she had been getting more media attention than she expected. She also gathered her research but she keeps on coming because she enjoys performing. Not for the money, of course. She has plenty of that. She enjoyed singing too much that Joohyun would always go with her when the doctor is in her off days and they would go roaming around the streets after. Their dates were almost the type those college students do. Typical and normal but they spend it well together. They’d always get ice cream from the same shop they first dated when Seulgi's set is finished at the subway.

Seulgi is setting up together with Sooyoung when someone screamed on the top of their lungs. The lady’s bag was snatched. The thief has gone a good ten meters now. Seulgi drops her guitar and starts running for the crook. Seulgi has been on the track team before, so she is confident to run fast. But the crook is fast too. The chase is out the subway now. She’s close. The crook turns left but she takes big strides. She gets the bag snatching it back. The crook fights back but she successfully defends the bag.

With the adrenaline, she goes back to where her setup was. She starts to feel like jelly, she’s a close to where the woman was standing while smiling. Only a few steps more. One. Two. Three. Four. More. But her vision becomes blurred and then turns black. She clutches hard to the bag.

---

Joohyun works at the ER now. She’s been assigned more load because one of her fellow surgeon from the same department had to resign very suddenly. It’s going slow at the ER today. It was chill, there were a couple of patients, one with an allergy. The other has some nose bleeding. Nothing to worry about, it isn’t cardiothoracic by any means so the other doctors had them attended.

Her phone is buzzing. A message from the nurses’ station says there’s an accident and the ambulance will be there in five minutes. She quickly goes to the emergency bay and proceeds to standby.

When the ambulance doors are opened, she sees Seulgi being put on the stretcher. She sees Seulgi’s white shirt flooded red. She screams in shock and puts her hands to . Seulgi. It’s her Seulgi. She heard Seulgi’s voice happy and bright earlier. It’s part of their routine after two months of dating each other. Seulgi would always call her on the way to the subway. She remembers how Seulgi was excited to perform an original today. But her girlfriend’s bloodied shirt got her shocked to the bone.

A nurse tries to snap Joohyun from zoning out. “Doctor Bae? You should attend to that patient. She’d definitely be needing an operation.”

Joohyun goes to Seulgi’s side holding the unconscious patient’s hand tight. “Stay with me, Seul.” She never thought she would have to see Seulgi hurt before her eyes. She takes the scissors and rips Seulgi’s shirt with it. She could see darker pools of blood at the left part of Seulgi’s stomach. It’s a deep cut too. She applies firm pressure to slow the bleeding. They’d definitely need

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter