Soloist: Kang Daniel (Romance)

K-POP: One-Shot Collection

LONG OVERDUE I feel so bad uhu. But here it is! I contemplated a lot if this was a 10/10. Hopefully, it's at least a 7 uhu. I did my best. And I look forward to maybe making a part two to this? Haha

Requested by: @rainbowskai


"My Hot Guy friend"

"Ah. It's so hot." I fanned myself with my hands vigorously. Running in front of the fan as soon as the customer left. It's the middle of summer vacation and boy it is hot. 

"Aish. Lee Mari. You sly witch." I cursed under my breath. If it wasn't for my sister selling me out I wouldn't be guarding the shop in the middle of this sun-stricken beach. 

Mom and Dad are spending a week in Cambodia, courtesy of their eldest child, my older brother. While Mari and I stay here in Busan for them. 

The moment I stepped foot in our house, Mari sold me out to our parents, saying that I spent all my money on my kpop merchandise and that I went to a concert without telling them. Which isn't actually a lie. Mari's a devil, but to our parents, she's obviously better than me as a daughter. Well, she as a sister. That brat.

So as my punishment, I'm opening our family shop while Mom and dad are away. Mari went out with her friends and won't be back till this evening. I, on the other hand, am missing out on all my dramas and movies that I planned for my semester break. 


"I want to go home." I sighed to myself. Not that our shop is always full of people. The only people who come here are those who come and play at the beach outside. And oh did I forget to mention? I live outside the city. So there aren't that many tourists in general. 


"Soohyun-ah! Are you here?" I heard someone shout from the door. I immediately ran out of the kitchen and to the shop and was greeted by our neighbor, Grandpa Park. 

"Grandpa!" I hopped off the counter and ran to his warm embrace. "How have you been?" I asked excitedly. "I'm good of course! Your mom sends me food she makes all the time." he smiled his hearty eye smile and laughed at my cheerfulness. 

"Aigoo. You're so grown up now. Are you taking a break from school?" He asked. I nodded with a smile. "I'm spending my vacation guarding the shop," I said. "In that case, can I ask you a favor?" and on cue, a grown man came in strutting behind him. "You remember my nephew right?"  

"How've you been?" He smiled at me and boy did that smile melt me. "You!" I burst. "I believe the name you're looking for is Niel oppa."  He chuckled. "No way." I looked him up and down and stared intently at his face. He laughed and asked, "Missed me?".  I jumped in his arms that had him carry me and turn us around. "It is you!" I laughed in glee. And damn right I missed him. 

"You're really Niel oppa?!" I almost burst again. But they both only laughed. "Why are you so surprised?" Grandpa Park asked, laughing at my reaction. "Last time we were together. I was taller than him. Now he's a tower." I gasped at his strong built and tall height. He looks like he works out. I bet he has abs, and that chest. Wow...

"Puberty Hyun-ah. I hit puberty." Dan- ah. I guess it's Niel oppa now. "Right..." I drifted off, feeling slightly awkward and weird that this handsome young specimen used to be my childhood friend. Damn. He ditched the glasses, dyed his hair, and changed his style. Canada did him justice. "Grandpa, what was the favor again?" I turned to Grandpa Park and asked with a nervous smile. 


"Your dad talked to me about making Daniel work here with you while they're on vacation."  He said as we all sat down on an empty table. "That sounds like I'm the one asking for the favor." I laughed. "It does sound a bit like that." Niel oppa added. 

We had a short conversation about my parents' vacation details before I reminded them of the real reason why they visited. Grandpa Park asked me what work was available and at the moment, I couldn't think of any because I was honestly too distracted about my childhood friend turned hottie. 

"Anyway, he can do anything you ask him to do. Let him work here and help you, yes?" I nodded and smiled. "Of course Grandpa. I'll make sure he works hard and not slack off." I gave him a salute which made him laugh and pat me on the shoulder. "Ok then. Work hard you two."


"Sooo. What can I do?" He asked, wiping his palms on his thighs as we turned around the shop. What can he do?.... Stand in my living room shirtless would be nice, haha. Oh Lee Soohyun, you thirsty prick. "Ah. Help me carry the sacks of coffee beans from upstairs." I said. "What else?" He asked. "Just...that. For now. I'll find more work for you don't worry." I chuckled. 

I locked the shop and checked the other doors before I led him to our house. On our way upstairs, he decided to start a conversation. 

"You study in Seoul?" he asked. "mhm. Fine arts." I replied, digging inside my apron for the house keys. When I found them, I quickly unlocked the house while asking him the same question about his studies. " I'm on my last year as a dance major." He said. I looked at him weirdly when he awed at the sight of our living room. "Nothing changed." he chuckled. "We can do sightseeing later. For now, here are the coffee beans. I'll carry the sugar." I went straight to the kitchen. Only that...he didn't follow me. 

"Is this Yeongjun hyung?" He asked in shock. I peeked at him and whatever he was looking at, to find that he was staring at our family picture hanging above the sofa. "Yep. The one and only." I said, crossing my arms and smiling proudly. "And this is..." he pointed at the person behind dad which is..."Mari. Our youngest." he gasped. "What?! She's that?!" He asked in shock. 

I rolled my eyes at this. "Oh? Why? Why? Why? What's with those eyes? You rolled them just now." He then pointed his finger at me. "I know. She's pretty and cute. Just say it." This isn't new. I've brought friends over, so did my brother. And they all said that Mari had this child model look. Well, whatever. At least I'm talented. 

"I never said that." He said. "But you were thinking it." "No, I wasn't. I think you look prettier than her." I could feel my cheeks burning hard. Dammit. Why did he have to grow up so hot? This is so unfair. "yeah... right. Just help me with the beans, please. And leave your jacket here. It gets hot in the afternoon." I muttered, turning around and walking to the kitchen where he followed fast. 

"You're blushing." He laughed, poking my arm. I swatted his hand away and semi-glared at him. "Stop it." How embarrassing. Aish. I turned to check on the sacks while he took off his jacket and folded it neatly before placing it in the chair's backrest. I could see clearly now that he has in fact, a lean and muscular body. His shoulders are very broad, his chest is slightly bulging due to the size, and his waist is so slim. Almost like an inverted triangle. Hold yourself tighter Soohyun. Do not jump on this man. 

Blinking the sudden daydreaming away, I pushed the sack towards him. Aside from being less attractive than my sister, I'm also more masculine than her thanks to kickboxing. I pushed the sack to him and was about to carry another over my shoulder. But he pushed me aside and took both over his shoulders. "Just lead the way." He said heaving as he carried a sack each over his broad shoulders. 

"R-right." I stuttered. I opened the doors for him and led him back to our storage room downstairs. After that, he took two more sacks down when I insisted to help carry, but he said "I'm here to help you. Use me." that made me give it up. Well ok then. And just like he wanted, I used him to full advantage. And on his first day too. I'm a very obedient person you know. 


"What does me standing here have to do with my work?" He whined, standing in front of our shop's entrance while I put an apron on him. "You told me to take advantage of you. I'm doing as told." I looked up at him briefly while I fixed his hair. "There." I smiled, feeling proud that I dressed him up good. "Just stand there and hand out flyers. People will come when they want to." I flashed him a grin while patting his shoulder before I left and took out a bunch of flyers with our menu and promos on it. 

"When Uncle told me about the store, I thought I would be doing manual labor." He sighed at me. "This is physical!" I argued. His face and body are definitely working hard. "Trust me with this oppa. Stand here and do that. If it gets crowded, you can serve drinks." I lightly punched his arm and skipped only to be pulled back, crashing into him from the force.

Looking up at him and feeling his rock hard torso through the thin fabric of his shirt, definitely triggered a side of my lady brain. He was pushing his way to that one side of my brain where he's categorized as a man and not a childhood friend of mine. He was just talking with his puppy shaped eyes and pouty lips but it was enough to distract me.

"Hyun-ah? Soohyun-ah." He called. I raised my brows as he added, "I asked what you will be doing while I stand here." I smirked and chuckled. "I'll be inside watching my kdramas of course," I answered. Damn right. Oh God thank you Grandpa Park for bringing Kang Daniel today.

"Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. you know what? How about you teach me how to make the drinks instead. Deal?" He tilted his head and took out his hand for a handshake. "Hmmm." I pretended, looking elsewhere and acting like I was thinking about it. But a certain someone was approaching from the other street that I dropped all emotions instead. 

He noticed and turned around too, looking at the man who was casually walking with a camera in his hand. " You know him?" Nyel oppa asked. I nodded and looked away. " Hwang Minhyun." his name left my lips with distaste. "He broke up with me for another girl he was crushing on at work," I explained. Well, at least he was decent enough to end things. But still. That hurt me. 

"He's handsome."He muttered. Don't I know that... " All the girls said I was lucky to have someone like him. I guess I did... I mean look at me." "Why? What's so wrong with you? You're beautiful. " He said in defense, raising his voice at me. I glared at him slightly but softened as soon as he pouted. 

"Be honest. You wouldn't expect him to be with someone like me. We just look like we belong from two separate worlds." I sighed. Well, it is kinda true. His ethereal visuals and character just didn't match with my ordinary appearance and very human attitude. We just didn't click. 

"You know what." He dumped the flyers on the table and suddenly pulled me closer to him. He slid his hand behind me, pulled me by the neck, and showered me with kisses. Immediately, I shut my eyes and kept my lips sealed tight while he was leaving kisses all over my face. Two words, Culture. Shock. "What are you doing?" I shivered at the ticklish feeling. 

"Showering you with love. you look like you need it." He paused to explain before wrapping his arms around my waist. Suddenly, he snuggled his head with mine. Like a dog begging for attention. But this feels nice though... "Our little girl needs love. Oppa will give you love." He whispered to the top of my head. I admit, I was flustered and shocked but it faded because It felt good being tickled with kisses and squeezed with a comforting hug. He reminds me of my brother babying me whenever he comes home. 

"Thanks. Oppa." I muttered with a smile. "Although it honestly doesn't feel weird kissing you after not seeing each other for almost 5 years."  He said, reminding me that we last saw each other when we were in middle school and now we are both fully grown adults. 

"Oh, God." The embarrassment suddenly hit me. "It feels like I'm petting my cats." He said, rubbing his chin on top of my head as I laughed. Though this very touchy-feely side of a guy is new, I...kinda like it. 

"How dare you compare me to your cats?" I laughed as I pulled away and he let go. "They're very loving pets. You should visit us and play with them some time." He grinned while patting my head. 


"Soohyun?" A man called. I looked past Daniel oppa and saw Minhyun, who I forgot about a minute there. "Oh. Oppa." I swallowed. "I didn't know you were in town. How are you?" He smiled softly. God. He still looks good. "I'm fine... And it was an unexpected stay. Mom and dad are on vacation." I answered politely. Daniel oppa was pulling on my sleeve behind me, silently asking for attention. 

So I pulled him beside me and introduced them to each other. "This is Minhyun. He's my high school senior." I said. Minhyun bowed his head and extended a hand. "Hwang Minhyun." He stated shortly. Daniel oppa shocked me when he pulled off his friendly grin and accepted the handshake. "Kang Daniel. I'm Soohyun's boyfriend."  He said. 

"Oh?" "What?!" Both Minhyun and I asked, well I bursted. "But I am. Right?" Daniel oppa turned to me and winked. I raised my brow and frowned at him. "O-oh. Is that so?" Minhyun muttered. "Yes. It is so." Daniel oppa grinned innocently at both of us. What is wrong with this person? 

"What brings you here?" I shrugged off Niel oppa's cunning smile and faced Minhyun instead. "I came home for the weekend. Just to unwind and stuff." He answered nicely. It's really hard not to like him. He talks softly. He's gentle. But he can really break your heart even if he didn't want that. He couldn't hurt a fly but still managed to hurt me. 

"Soohyun, it was really nice seeing you again." the way he said my name still makes me nervous.  "I"ll see you around. Congratulations to both of you." Minhyun smiled. But I was still flustered about the whole misunderstanding. "No. It's not-" but before I could explain that it was all wrong, Daniel oppa put his arm around my neck and covered my mouth. With his other hand, he waved goodbye. "Thank you. Nice meeting you." He smiled while waving at Minhyun who only nodded and walked away. 


When he was far, Daniel oppa finally let me free after much struggling. "Why did you tell him that?" I asked him, showing him how unhappy I am about what he did. "I'm sorry. I really am. But-" "What?" I asked, glaring. "I just thought... You probably want to show him that you're happy even without him." He sheepishly kicked his foot on the floor, looking down and avoiding my glare. 

I could only chuckle. So he was trying to spare me the shame of still being single after Minhyun. I looked at his pouting face, eyes still to the floor and his guilty hands clasped behind him. "I don't know if I should be offended or thankful for what you did," I said. 

I sighed out loud. Sitting on the doorstep with a groan. I patted the space beside me, telling him to sit but he just stood there still looking down. Well ok then. 

"If it looked like I was sad, or broken, that's not true. In fact, I feel fine. It's just that... It's been a while since I saw him. I'm just surprised that's all." I explained. "I am happy with my life right now. I don't need a man to make me smile."  I chuckled. And finally, he looked at me. 

"Soohyun." He kneeled. I looked at him and stared with a small smile. "I'm fine," I said. "No, you're not." He muttered.  "why do you keep insisting?" I asked back, which made him quiet for a while. "Are you really ok?" He asked, poking my knee. I stared at him. 

He's still the same old Daniel that rushes over to me when I'm sad. He sees through my built-up walls. Rushing over to me and is quick to find ways to make sure I always have a happy smile on my face. It's like he never left. Like...5 years of our lives, not communicating whatsoever, gone.

I frowned and jokingly opened my arms for a hug but he was fast to hug me back instead that it took me by surprise. 

"See you're not ok!" He scolded. "I was joking." I poked his side that made him wiggle a little. "Oppa, I'm fine. Really." I patted his back and rubbed my cheek on his arm. He sighed and silently nodded. "Just so we're clear, I didn't intend to offend you or mock you in any way. I become overprotective over women's sad stories." he's blushing...

Does he really think of me as a woman? Well, that's... Nice.


"You know. If we keep displaying affection like these people will get the wrong idea." I said, casually resting my cheek on his arm because I- well we...refused to let go of the hug. "Who cares?" He chuckled. "Uhm. This business owner? I'm using your face for advertising. If people think we're together no one will come to check you out." Suddenly, he pushed me at arm's length. 

"No one's even passing by." He narrowed his eyes at me. "Minhyun passed by." I shrugged my shoulders, which made him roll his eyes at me. "I don't like hearing his name." He let go of me and crossed his arms in front of him. "Why? Are you jealous?" I asked jokingly. "Was it that obvious? " He asked instead, with this dead serious expression of his.

"Right." I coughed. Let's just put it as I did not expect an answer. "How about I'll teach you how to make those drinks now." I awkwardly let out a laugh and stood up almost tumbling when he caught me in time. My whole body stiffened when his hand caught a grip of my waist and while I, by instinct, grabbed on to his arms. Oh did I fail to mention? I yelped. 

He laughed out loud, losing it when he settled me on my own two feet. He wouldn't stop laughing and he was already clutching his stomach so I pushed him and went inside. 


He was still coming back from his high when I came back to the kitchen with my hair tied into a ponytail. "If you're done laughing, you can go behind the counter and learn." I sassed him out as he patted his probably aching stomach. "Oh...that was funny." He chuckled, walking behind the counter and beside me. 

I shook the fact that he just laughed at me for a solid 3 minutes and prepared the ingredients to make smoothies. "When someone order's a drink. Lay out all the ingredients on the counter first." I said, gesturing to the milk, fruits, other sweeteners, a board, and a knife. "There's a step by step guide on the table so you can look at it from time to time." I then tapped my finger on the piece of laminated paper stuck to the table beside the bowl of fruits. 

I taught him the basic steps for making fruit smoothies, to making the basic brewed coffee and to the ingredient chart we have to spice all the coffee up. Latte, cappuccino, iced or hot americano, espresso, etc... He was very eager to learn too. Although I did catch him a few times looking my way instead of what I was pointing at. And while I was looking around for things that I could tell him about, I felt him staring at me instead. I mean, that's normal right? Some people look at the person talking attentively and some people can multi-task. 


"I think that's all." I smiled proudly. "But stand outside first so that we can bring in customers," I said, pushing him back out the store but he swiftly turned around and we just...turned. "Call Mari to do that. I want to stay here. And why isn't she helping you anyway?" 

I could only sigh. "Guarding the shop is my punishment for spending all my money on my...personal needs." This ..really  "until when?" He asked. "A solid week. Mari's- Oh." I stopped mid-sentence when my phone started ringing. I picked it up and was met with Mari's voice on the other end. 

"Sis! I'll be staying at Zia's house tonight. Is that ok?" She said. "Yah. You're going to let me stay at home alone?"  I scolded. Daniel was looking at me, silently asking if it was Mari on the phone, so I nodded and mouthed yes. "You'll be fine right? It's just for two nights." She pleaded. "What about your things?" I asked. Then she sheepishly laughed. 

"Right... Can you bring my stuff over?"  She said. Woahh. this kid. "Pack your own bag." My voice raised at her request. "I'll guard the shop tomorrow!" She said. Tempting.... "3 days. Friday till Sunday." " 2 days. And I'll bring Zia." Well well well, Lee Soohyun. If it isn't your lucky day. "Deal. Text me everything you need. I'll drop by after 6." I heard her cheer and say thank you a lot of times before she excitedly told me that she'll send me a list after the call. 


"What did she want?" He asked. "she wants me to bring her stuff over to her friend's house. In return, she'll guard the shop for me." I grinned. He closed his eyes and shook his head. "Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. Lee Mari." He sighed. "Well, what are you waiting for? She needs to have her things so we can go out and play." He said in the most serious tone he had that it made me laugh and smile at him.

"Nice try, but she's guarding tomorrow." I shook my head at him while smiling. "Now. Go outside and hand out flyers. I'll clean here." I said, pushing him out while he pouted and crossed his arms. "I want to stay inside too." He sulked. "If you bring in 10 customers, you can stay inside," I whispered.


Shocker? I think not. He brought in 12 people, wait. Sorry. I meant the female species. And that was just during the first hour. It's just us two doing the work so I told him that I'd stay behind the counter and he can serve. All I can say is...I am regretting. 

"You said there aren't that many customers?" he came to me sounding exhausted. It's already 3 and in a few hours more, we'll be closing. Cause it's a weekday, we're open only until 6. On weekends, we open up to 10. 

"This is a record. We haven't brought these much people ever since Yeongjun oppa stopped helping here." I also fell on the counter, leaning my head on my arm that lay on the table. "You want to switch?" I asked, looking at him. He smiled and nodded his head. Suddenly, he leaned in leaving a good 3-inch distance between our faces. 

"Good work little baby." He said, kissing my forehead before standing up and leaving me frozen. That...came out of nowhere. I was down and hiding my red face in between my arms, trying to calm myself down until someone called for my attention. I looked up and saw a table with 3 high school girls around it. "Coming!" I croaked. Yes. I croaked. 

"Yes, what can I get for you?" I approached them with a smile. They all looked at me intently. "W-why?" I asked them. "Eonnie. You're red." One girl in stripes said. I quickly fanned myself and even loosened my shirt because it did feel hot. Kang Daniel, damn you. "I'm ok. Can I get you girls anything?" I smiled reassuringly. 

"Oh. Uhmm. We wanted to ask you something.." Another girl in a ponytail said. "Are you Mari's sister?" they asked. "Oh?" I blinked at them. "You know my sister?" I asked back. Then they smiled and answered yes. "You're really pretty."  The same girl who asked if I was ok said. I chuckled and grinned. "Aye. Not as pretty as you three." I laughed. 

"You are! Your boyfriend really thinks so too." The last girl at the table said. Uhmm. Boyfriend? "You mean him?" I pointed at Niel oppa with my thumb. They nodded, smiling. Then I laughed awkwardly. "Oh, you three are funny. He's not- we're not together." I said. 

"Oh? Really? He told us you're his girlfriend." one muttered. "In that case...can we come back again tomorrow?" they asked excitedly. I was quiet. I mean. I think I don't like Niel oppa like that. But I kind of want to keep him to myself. I want to hang out with him tomorrow. Let him skip work with me so we can hang out like old times. We never really talked today. We didn't catch up on anything... Next thing I said, I immediately felt guilty. 

"Oh. Sorry. He's only helping today." Soohyun you liar. 


A few more people came, thankfully not some of Niel oppa's fans anymore. If he keeps working here, our shop will always be full. If he decides to help me after Mari's shift, he's definitely staying behind the counter. Or in the storage room. 

For the next three hours, I kept thinking about what I did and why I said that kind of lie. I was quiet and only spoke when needed. I didn't even go back to Niel oppa after what happened with the girls. I only noted their order and left it on the counter for him to see.

He obviously noticed. Because I could feel him looking at me yet again. And when we closed the shop and started cleaning, he went to my station and sat on the table I was cleaning. 

"Why are you not talking to me?" He asked, legs crossed, hands clasped, and deep voice echoing through my bones. "We were working. We didn't have the time to chat." I said, not looking at him and instead turning to clean another table. 

"We do now. Talk to me." He said. "I am." my reply was short and simple. Why am I avoiding him? I just keep thinking about the lie I said earlier. Was it my idea to use him as eye candy to win more customers? Yes. Was I jealous of the attention he got from the girls? Probably. 

"Talk..to me." He took my hand and made me face him. He was gentle though. And very handsome right now. Oh, what am I thinking? 

"What do you want me to say?" I asked. "Firstly, why are you all of a sudden acting like this?" He asked, still holding my hand. I kept looking at it, and tried to pull my hand back but he wouldn't let me. "I don't know." He's making me nervous...

"Was it something the customers said? Did they do something to you?" He asked sounding worried. I frowned at what he said. "Why would you ask that? Did something similar happen before and it turned out bad?" I asked. He sounds scared. I wonder why...

"No. Nothing like that... Earlier, I saw you talk to three girls and then left the table looking different. Did they say something to you?" He looks genuinely worried that it made me soft in the heart. "It's not them. It's something I said." I answered. Sighing, I shrugged my hand off of his grip and sat on the chair. 

"bottom line of that conversation... I wanted to keep-" Before I continued, I stopped and played it in my head. That doesn't sound ok. "Keep what?" He insisted. I wanted to keep you to myself when they asked if they could come again to see you tomorrow. Yep. It sounds wrong. I sound like a jealous girlfriend when as a matter of fact I'm barely the girl he's interested in. 

"..keep the rule of the shop that it'd be closed as early as 6." I lied with a stiff smile. "The girls asked if they could stay late but I told them the shop would close at 6 and that I can't make exemptions." Lee Soohyun you liar. 

"Wow. You're pretty strict. You don't look like it." He suddenly said. "Really? Then what do I look like?" I raised my brow at him. "Like...you wing things." He scratched the back of his ear as he said so, not exactly sure about his answer either. I only smiled back and said nothing. 

"So. You're really okay then?" He asked, this time taking both of my hands. I did feel better. His worried question and persistence really made me weak to the knees. "I'm okay. Really." 


We didn't talk about it again. After cleaning up, we went back upstairs. I told him he could rest in the living room while I went to my and Mari's shared room. 

In the midst of packing, Niel oppa came in and stayed in my room instead. I don't mind though. I mean...he's my friend. 

"Oh. Why is Seongwoo hyung here?" He laughed when he caught sight of my huge poster plastered behind the door. "You know Ong Seongwoo?!" I freaked out. That man is a male god with an angelic voice and has quite the character, plus, the looks. Oh yes, the looks. "Yeah. He's a friend of a friend. He's really funny." He stared in amusement at my poster. 

"What's he like in real life?" I asked excitedly. I should visit him always then, maybe I'll get a chance to meet his buddy and my sole love. "What's with the excited voice?" He looked down at me, not amused with my fangirling. I bit my lip. "Nothing." 

"He's really cool but also really dorky," he answered anyway. "If you think I'm letting you meet him you can keep dreaming. I am not letting you near that man." He walked towards me until he had me sit on the bed while looking up at him, scared and intimidated by his tall stature and deep husky voice. 

"Why won't you let me meet him?" I pouted. He bent down and met me at eye level as he said, "You might fall for him sooner than I make you fall for me. I can't let that happen."  Uhmmm. Hormones, calm down. He's just messing with you. "And I'm not joking.".... I got nothing 

"Don't you think it's weird to...say that?" I muttered. "How many times do I have to give away hints that I was flirting today?" He knocked his knuckles on my forehead then rubbed his thumb over it afterward. 

"You're my childhood best friend. We used to take baths together. We always ran around playing soccer. We used to play in the dirt." My brows knit as I said all that. And what? Flirting? "I've been crushing on you since we were little, you dense stone."  He laughed, squeezing my cheeks and tilting my head side to side....probably to distract me from his blushing cheeks. "You did?!" I asked in shock. 

"I still do, dummy. In the present tense. As in, in the present time. As in until now." He smiled. "Why do you think I was so calm when I walked inside the shop this morning?" he narrowed his eyes at me, placing his hands behind him as he stood back up. 

"I...don't know," I said. "I always asked about you. 5 years of your life, it was like I never left. Your mom knows about it." He laughed shyly. I blinked and shook my head at what he said. "My mom knows about what now?" "That I like you. I don't know Yeongjun hyung's contact so I always talked with Aunt Yeun." He said. Surprising enough, this doesn't seem weird to me at all. 

"Oh God. Knowing mom she probably told you everything." I chuckled, hiding my face with my pillow. "That she did do." He chuckled back. I chuckled and thought about what he just said. He's been asking about me for 5 years? 

"So basically you've been stalking me." I laughed. "I would never! That's creepy!" He argued, his voice rising like an angry child whining. I was just teasing but the way he reacted sounded so defensive. Plus his now red ears and crossed arms told me he probably saw it that way too. 

"Why didn't you just ask me directly?" I said. "I wanted to. But you had a boyfriend. So I held myself back." He answered, looking at me sternly. If there's one thing that didn't change about him, it's the fact that he's still very honest. And when he wants to say something very serious, he would look at you in the eyes and just say it.

"Minhyun and I broke up a year ago. Why didn't you reach out then?" "You probably needed time to yourself. To get over what happened and heal on your own." He shrugged. He suddenly sat beside me, and took my hand in his. 

"There’s so much I want to tell you and talk to you about...But we have to pack that bag and give it to Mari." I chuckled. He just had to be right. "I'll be out in a minute. I'll just finish packing."  He nodded, letting go of my hand to stand up and leave the room. 

I keep thinking about what he said. Technically that was a confession, right? What do I do about that? I want to try and date him. I mean he's not only my best friend, he's hot. It's a double kill if I could have him as a lover but this is too fast and just at the wrong pace. Plus, 5 years of his life I know nothing about. It's not fair that he knows mine while I'm clueless about his. Oh, God...


I double checked everything and even texted Mari if she forgot anything she wanted me to add to her list, in which there was nothing else to add. So I left the room and immediately Niel oppa stood up, together we left and went to meet Mari. 


We took my dad's car by the way. Me, driving of course since it's been a while that he's been back home. It's only a 15-minute drive from our place to Zia's so it really didn't take that long. But it felt like we were on a road trip because Niel oppa kept looking out the window, staring at everything we passed with a smile. 

"You look 15 again." I laughed when we for a second glanced at each other and chuckled. "This is the first time I've been out of the house ever since I came back. Cut me some slack." He said. 

"When did you arrive anyway?" I asked. "3 days ago. You know how I am. I like staying at home." That I did know. That's why we were the ones who always hung out together. "So the first thing you did on your vacation was to work at our shop?" Unbelievable. "It's crazy what you can do for the person you love. Don't you agree?" He charmingly said, making me smile like an idiot. He's really good with this stuff. 

"Ok. Let's say you did like me all these years. But it is impossible to believe that you've never had a girlfriend or a fling with someone at the very least." it was honestly mind boggling. "I don't do flings. And with my age, of course, I had a girlfriend."  

"Really?" "No. Of course not. I'm a faithful man." As the street light switched to red, I stepped on the brakes and turned to look him in the eye. Only that, he bent over and leaned in very close to me that I could feel his body warmth. "I've only ever thought and loved one person, and that person is you." He smirked, tapping my nose then leaning back on his seat while still gazing at me with narrowed seductive eyes. 

How do I respond to that?...

"Ok,"  I said. "Let's try this," I said, cracking my neck and shaking my hands. When the light turned green again, I stopped the car at the side of the road and went on hazard. I could see his confused face as he watched me then next thing I knew, I pulled his head to me and kissed him. I just had to know if I did feel something for him.

Truth is, I did like him back then. For the remaining 5 months, we had before he left for Canada. He was always nice to me but the time we spent just before he left was extra special. He took care of me so much. We hung out longer. We talked and played. We were teenagers when that happened. And yes, developing a crush on him wasn't that hard. 

In the midst of this kiss, him remaining frozen and me leaning in deeper, I realized that the small crush I had on him back then probably wasn't as small as I thought. Subconsciously, I always liked him. Even when I was in a relationship with Minhyun I always held back on him. I wasn't as laid back. And this is me speaking about opening up to Niel oppa after cut communication of 5 years. 

"O...k. I just had to make sure of something." I said as I broke the kiss just as he was getting comfortable. "No, wait..." He whispered this time pulling me towards him and kissing me. He smiled in the kiss, making me smile as well. I patted his shoulder as his hand raked through my hair, pulling me closer to him. For someone who has never had experience, he knew how to kiss. 

He had the right amount of lip play. He had soft lips that he easily matched with mine, kinda like a puzzle being pieced perfectly together. It matched so well with mine I was genuinely shocked. But of course, I thought about all this after the kiss. When our lips touched, I couldn't think of anything else other than to smile because I feel happy. 

When we pulled away, he hid his face on my shoulder as I chuckled and calmed him down. I was feeling light-headed too but I had better control than him I guess. "Right... As I was saying. I just wanted to confirm something." I said as I brushed his hair. "What?" He asked, still having a hold of the side of my neck. He rubbed his thumb over my ear as I spoke again. 

"If I can do this thing about being in a relationship with you. Turns out, I have always liked you. Now that I mention it, you and Minhyun act a little alike. It's probably what got me attracted to him in the first place. It's also probably why I always thought of him as someone who would cater to all my feelings. You did that a lot before you left you know." Wow. I had a lot to say after that kiss...

"So you'll give me a chance?" He asked as he sat up to look at me. And as fast as I met his eyes, he looked back down and avoided my gaze. "I think I will," I said. "But the kissing comes in order. The one that just happened is an exemption...if that's ok with you." I said. He chuckled, nodding his head while still looking down. "You want me to get back on the road now?" "Yes please. my face is still burning up." He sheepishly said as he shrunk back in his seat while I held my laughter back.

Where has he been all this time... Damn. 


Genre: Romance
Artist: Kang Daniel
OC Name: Soo Hyun
Level of intensity: 10/10