Wanna One: Kang Daniel (Romance)

K-POP: One-Shot Collection

This isn't requested but I just made it for my NOW 165 SUBBIES from my ff "The Story of the Ambivert"


The loud ring of the intercom made me rush out and to my doorway to open the door. There stood a man and a little boy, grinning at me. "Hi, oppa." I smiled at him when he smiled back, lifting in his hands a box of donuts and a small child bag. I gestured for them to come in and they did. 

"Eun-ah, thank you so much for watching Minkyong for us."  Seongwoo oppa smiled gratefully at me when I took the box and the bag from his hold. I placed those on the coffee table as we sat down and watched, as his 3-year-old son looked around with a big gaping mouth. 

"Kyong-ah, aren't you going to say hi to auntie?" Seongwoo oppa said to the little boy, who immediately ran at the call of his father. He approached me, stretching his arms when I picked him up from the ground and sat him on my lap. I laughed in joy when the little boy smiled as I kissed his cute and chubby cheek. How adorable. 

"Don't sweat it oppa. Go enjoy your date."  I said, cuddling Minkyong in my arms as we both looked at the grown man smiling at us. "Plus, you'll be back after breakfast. It's all good, really." I quickly added when he let out a sigh. 

"I told Daniel to come here to help you out. I hope that's ok." He added, catching my attention. "Daniel? As in your old buddy Kang Daniel?"  I asked, utterly shocked to hear unexpected and vital info. He winked. "The one and only. You're welcome." He whispered the last part in a teasing manner that got me glaring at him for the slightest second. 

"Well then, I'm off to go pick up my date." he smiled nervously. When he stood up again, I followed suit and walked him to the door with Minkyong still in my arms. "Call me if anything confuses you or if something happens or if he starts crying-" 

With a small laugh, I cut him off saying, "This isn't my first time babysitting. I think I can handle this." Immediately,  he shut his lips in a straight line and nodded. "Ok. I'm really leaving. Thanks again for this." He said, patting my hand and kissing Minkyong's forehead before he really left. 


"Dad is gone." the little boy said as he looked at me with the exact straight lip press his dad did. I laughed loudly, hugging him tight to me as I rocked him side to side. "Let's go play inside~" I sang. 


Per usual, Minkyong didn't really tire me out or anything. We played with the dinosaur toys I bought for him. I've always wanted to be that aunt who spoils their nephews or nieces, but in this case, my godchild. 

His mother and I are best friends. We met way back in high school. We're 29 now. But she decided to marry early because...well, Minkyong came along. And it was the best decision of their lives. Seongwoo oppa is 3 years older than us, in case you were wondering.  

Anywayyy, while I was making snacks for Minkyong and me, the doorbell suddenly rang. "It must be Daniel." My eyes widened at the thought, which made me turn to my microwave and look at my reflection quickly, before running to the intercom to check.

Damn. It is him. And he looks mighty handsome, per usual. Leaning my forehead on the wall, I took in a deep breath and sighed loudly. "Minkyong-ah, Uncle Daniel is here." I turned to the little boy who jumped up from the floor and ran to the door, shouting in excitement. "Uncle Daniel!" His excited scream echoed from the door. 

"Kyong-ah! I missed you!" I heard Daniel's voice on my way to the door where I saw him lift Minkyong in his arms, squeezing his tiny body with his manly arms. He's such a catch ugh. "Hi." I awkwardly waved his way. When he met my eyes, he also smiled back at me. "Hi, it's been a while." he chuckled.  

"So, how's life?" I asked, leading him inside and to the living room. Daniel took his time, looking around my place. "It's the same as before." He smiled. "You?" he asked, giving his divided attention to both me and Minkyong. "Same old same old," I answered back. This feels really weird. Seeing him after all this time. 

"We haven't really talked after what happened," I said quietly. "You mean after we broke up?" He smiled bitterly. Still remembering how I dumped him huh. I'm over it now. I think. But I can't really help but feel sad about what happened. Figures...We were engaged for a year. I guess it's just right for him to feel that way. 

"So...I guess you still hate me," I said, clasping my hand and placing that on top of my knees. He placed Minkyong on his lap, hugging him while resting his chin on top of the kid's head. "I don't. I never did. And I never will." He said. Just how on earth am I going to respond to that? 

"Uncle, you don't like Auntie Eun?" Kyong asked, holding Daniel's cheek with his small hand while turning his head back to look at him then at me who sat across from them. "No, Kyong-ah. I like Auntie. I like Auntie a lot." He smiled sweetly at Kyong, doing that nose to nose thing with him which made the kid giggle. Was that indirectly directed for me? 

"I made lasagna," I said, standing up with that change of subject. Kyong clapped his hands, jumping off Daniel's lap and running towards the kitchen where Daniel and I followed him. Taking it out from the oven once it cooled down, Daniel took an obvious whiff while setting the table as he pleased. I guess old habits don't die indeed. 

"Impressive. You don't burn food anymore." He laughed, making me jokingly glare at him while I sliced the lasagna into serving sized squares. "Live alone for 5 years and you'll be forced to," I said to him. I closed my eyes and bit my lip. Choi Eun, you and your mouth. "You've been alone since then?" He asked, sounding shocked. 

"Well yeah. It's not easy moving on from a relationship like...what we had." "You mean a relationship that we spent for 4 years and engaged for one year?" He smiled. Ok, now he's just getting on my nerve. "Can you drop the attitude?" I smiled back at him. I think I just lost my appetite. 

"Kyong-ah, do you want to go eat in the living room?" I asked, turning to Minkyong while opening my arms for him to jump in and he did. So I carried him, while I struggled to put lasagna on a bowl. "I'll do that. You can go sit." Daniel said from across the counter. But I didn't look at him, even when his voice became softer. 

While he was in the kitchen, fetching our dinner. Minkyong sat on the couch while I wiped the table clean. "Auntie," Kyong called. I looked at him and flashed a happy smile. "Mm? Why?" I asked back. "Are you fighting with Uncle Daniel?" He frowned. Gosh. It's the same face he made when his parents argued in front of him. I feel bad...

"What? No. Of course not. We were just talking." I gave him a reassuring pat and a smile. But his frown wouldn't fade, so I leaned over and kissed his forehead. "It's nothing, Kyong-ah. I promise." I said, making him smile, finally... "Here's the pasta," Daniel announced with a jolly voice. He must've heard Kyong's question...

While we were having dinner, I kept helping Minkyong eat, occasionally feeding him and keeping him company. Daniel too ate dinner. But I could feel that he was watching me from time to time. I ignored it of course. Not wanting to snap another time while Minkyong was awake. 

So we spent the evening playing together. It wasn't as uncomfortable as I thought. When I laughed,  it was genuine. Because I was having a fun time with Kyong. And when he and Daniel played together while I watched on the side, I couldn't stop myself from smiling. Daniel was indeed fit for kids. He still is good with kids. It made me have the thoughts I had back then, imagining what he'd be like with our future children.

Back then, I used to wonder, that by this time we would already have a 1-year-old at least. But things happen when your boyfriend is super famous and the stress just gets really tiring. The constant living in fear while we were dating really made me think a lot and in the end, I chose to let him go. It's not that I didn't love him enough that's why I ended it. It's because I loved him too much to destroy his career just for me. That's his dream, not only for himself but for his mom too. I didn't want for him to throw all that away just because I couldn't be strong enough for him. 

He's still in the same line of work. But now he's also a major shareholder of a gaming company. And he owns a barbecue restaurant. Him and his love for meat. I'm a pediatric doctor by the way, so I don't really feel that bad about how my life turned out. So. And when I broke up with Daniel, I became even more focused on my studies. It was my "sweet" rehab, instead of ice cream and movies, I flooded myself with books. I almost went insane but what's new. It got me to advance fast and be the doctor I am today, so. 


I looked at the time, then turned to Minkyong who was still up and alive while playing. I called to him, asking for a hug when he cutely ran to me and into my arms, knocking me to the ground. "Kyong-ah, it's time to go to bed," I said to him, brushing his hair while he leaned his cheek on my chest. "Let's play more." He whined adorably. Ong Seongwoo, what have you been teaching your child? "We can't Kyong-ah, it's late already." Daniel also said, patting the kid's back. "Let's take a bath then I'll sing to you after, deal?" "Deal!" He immediately said, jumping off of me and taking his bag with his clothes and other toiletries that I put aside in my room. 

"You're washing him," I said to Daniel when I stood up to prepare the water while he just looked at me in shock. I bet he doesn't know how. "I don't know how to shower a three-year-old." He said, quickly running after me inside the bathroom. He almost slipped by the door when he caught hold of the edge of the bathroom sink and the other on the door's handle. His face almost so close to mine because I also braced myself to catch him. 

"Yah! Be careful!" I shouted. He's a grown man but he's still so clumsy. He looked at me for a second, before he broke out in a wide smile. "What?!" I asked, annoyed with him smiling. "Nothing." He stifled his laughter, standing up straight just in time for Minkyong to come in with his bag. He's such a smart little boy, I'm so glad he's not like his mom or his dad. No offense oppa, Yerim uhu. 

While Daniel undressed Minkyong, I placed all his toiletries on a plastic table that I place at the edges of my bathtub when I enjoy a bubble bath. Occasionally, I use it when I wash Minkyong when he stays over or when they hang out here at my place and he needs to be washed. "Now what?" Daniel asked as he carried the little boy inside the tub filled with lukewarm water. "You start with his hair then down to soap his body." I looked at him, who stared at me, the toiletries, then the kid. 

"How about I just hold him?" Daniel let out a cheeky smile when Kyong sat in the tub and started splashing water. But I shook my head no and smiled back, "Your aegyo doesn't work on me. You shampoo and soap, I rinse and play with him." I said, holding the shower head. 
He blinked then gulped but tried to do as told. He had a hard time of course. Kyong loves playing with water, so the kid wasn't still at all. 


While Daniel was soaping Kyong's body, the little man playfully wiped water all over Daniel's face then let out a happy shriek. I laughed as well, while Daniel looked at us both with wide eyes. But he didn't look pissed. I mean, he never does. If his laughter wall is as thin as air, then his anger wall is the total opposite. His patience is 50 times as long as the great wall of China. 

So we all just laughed it off. But Kyong must've felt bad because he kissed Daniel afterward. Which I found, extremely adorable. "Auntie too," Kyong said, reaching out his little arms to peck me on the lips. When he sat back down on the tub, he clapped his hands and laughed in joy, making me smile. How could a child be so happy and loving? 


We finished bathing Kyong, then it was time to dress him. "You can sit in the living room. I'll take it from here." I said to Daniel who was fixing things up while I patted Kyong dry. "Oh.. I'll just finish up here then." He replied. I  carried Kyong in my arms and went to my room, laying him down on the bed while he wiggled like a worm in his towel. Taking his bag, I pulled out his pajamas, a fresh piece of diaper, baby lotion and cream. 

I did the usual routine. Cream on the face first, then the body lotion. Kyong kept laughing when I played and tickled him every now and then, which made me laugh. He kept shrieking and laughing out loud It felt good to see him happy and smiling. Quickly, I put his diaper and pajamas on, but before he could run away again. I caught hold of him and lifted him in my arms. 

"Are you going to sing to me now?" I could barely make out when he said that, but I nodded and said yes. Then he tried to circle his small arms around my neck and laid his head on my chest. I then rocked and turned him while he hung on to me as I sang him to sleep, patting his back and closing my eyes to bury my nose in his small head of hair. 

He fell asleep with his arms around my neck and sitting in my arms. His cheek was flat just above my chest and I could barely contain my joy at the feeling of his small stomach breathing against my chest. He was just tiny and adorable I felt so happy that I'm like his second mother. 

When I turned to my door to close the lights, I saw Daniel there standing by the door. How long had he been there? Thank goodness he has quick wit that he turned off the lights for me before I could even come close. 

I turned to my bed and laid the now sleeping baby in the middle, surrounding him with pillows and draping him with his blanket. "Goodnight baby." I quietly said, kissing his small nose before I carefully left the bed and went to where Daniel stood. 

"Should I close the door?" he asked, looking at Kyong who totally knocked out. I shook my head no. "Leave it open. Let's just not be loud." 


"How long have you been standing at the door?" I asked, falling on the couch while he sat on the space just beside me. "Since you brought him to the room. " He answered, staring at the turned off TV in front of us. "And you just stood there?" I chuckled. "Yes..." he said, looking at me. "Since when did you become such a mom?" He asked, turning his torso to me, getting more comfortable as we faced each other. "I'm a doctor, in pediatrics. It's strange if I'm not good with kids." I chuckled. "makes sense." He nodded his head. 


"By the way, are you staying or..." "Do you want me to?" He asked with a smile. Ok, now he's flirting. "I just want to know so I can take out an extra set." I rolled my eyes at him. "Does Kyong still wake up in the middle of the night?" He asked. "Yes...How'd you know?" I asked him. I've never heard of him taking care of Kyong. 

"The guys and I crashed at their place once. When Kyong was 2 and a half I think? We got carried away drinking and I was the only one sober. Kyong woke up from sleeping, and he was looking for his dad at 3 am. But hyung was too knocked out. I took care of him and put him back to bed because everyone was asleep and I was up."  "Ong oppa got totally wasted?" I asked. "It was our anniversary date. But we already broke up so they suggested we all go drink the night away." 

.....wow. 

"Do you still do that?" I asked. "What?" "Drink the night away every year on our anniversary?" I asked again. I know he's sentimental. But I never would have imagined that he would agree to something like getting wasted once a year like...he hasn't moved on?  "Yes." He gave out a short and impactful answer. "I mean it's not exactly nice that every day you get wasted with 11 men. So we do it once a year, at most." Right... "Who would've thought that Jinyoung would be such a drinker."  He chuckled. Is he trying to laugh off the suddenly awkward atmosphere? 

"and you?" He asked. "What about me?" I asked back. He stared at me for a while. Trying to read something out from me. But I was still. So he looked down and gave out a small scoff. "Nevermind." He quietly said. "I..." Do I tell? 

"I...just stay at home,"  I said. Not exactly a lie. Not the entire truth either. He suddenly looked up at me, catching me off guard. He opened his mouth to say something but decided he'd rather not. "What is it?" I asked, suddenly curious. 

"Do you...think about me? Us? What could've been?" He asked. One by one...painfully quiet and still for every question. Then I answered. "Of course I do. You know I'm a deep thinker myself."  "And that you put up this face that makes it seem like you don't give a damn about anything."  He chuckled. "Good for you." He muttered. 

"That's why I'm often misunderstood," I muttered back. Now it's just getting heavy. "I told you the reason why I wanted to end it. And we talked about everything that time." I started. "We had closure." He said. "Yes..." "But I never really moved on." he suddenly confessed. 

I was quiet. I was going to apologize. To say I regret giving us closure. To say that I am truly sorry, and I just wished that I could have faced him instead of being a coward when it was me who broke up with him and not the other way around. But it got all stuck in my throat once more. Every time I tried... Every. Single. Time

"Before you say anything. I just want to be clear. Not once, not a day passed by that I stopped feeling the same way I did 10 years ago. I understand where you're coming from. It took me a while too. But I just wanted to let you know all this. And I never had the chance to do so. And I don't find it offending or anything that you avoided me for these past 5 years." All in one breath. And in one sitting. That he said all of that. 

I chuckled. Letting a teardrop, which I quickly wiped away. I looked up at him, meeting his eyes, then I smiled. "I never did either," I said. "I mean, yes I broke up with you. Then we came to a mutual agreement. But my feelings never changed." For a moment he was silent, then he asked, "Really?" and I replied, "Really." 

"I still love you. I always did, and always will." I said, finally letting out all the tears I've been holding. "Oh! Eun..." He sat up with a panic. I sniffed, looking down. But I kept crying. The more I wanted to stop my tears, the more they fell. "Ahh. This isn't it." I whined. Closing my eyes when he touched my shoulder. "This isn't it." I bent my knees and buried my crying face in between my arms. "Why are you suddenly crying? Yah..." He said softly. 

"I don't know." I continued to sob. "I can't stop crying," I said, looking up to meet his eyes which also had tears threatening to fall. I sobbed louder then he suddenly pulled me in his arms. "Yah. You're going to wake Kyong up." He whispered in my ear. "I'm sorry." I cried, clutching his shirt. 

"For everything. For being a coward. For being selfish. For hurting you." Oh God for hurting him. I circled my arms around his waist, muffling my loud cries on his chest. "I'm sorry," I said again. But he just shushed me. He patted my back, brushed my hair, and rubbed his thumb over my cheek. "It's ok. I'm ok. Don't cry." He softly said. 

5 years. It took me 5 years. To hear his gentle voice. To take a whiff of his familiar scent. To feel his warmth. The sudden thought of never going to experience this again hit me with a slap to the soul. I pulled apart, looking away to wipe my tears before I looked back down on my lap and apologized once more. But he didn't say anything. 

After some time, I calmed down. And it seemed like he also cried because he kept turning and raising his hands to his face. I didn't look at him. I didn't dare to. If I took one more look at him crying I would have another go of becoming a sobbing mess, so instead, we cried in silence. 

"What now?" I asked. But instead of answering my question, he cupped my cheek and pulled my face to him to kiss me. Without a doubt, without hesitation, with no time to waste another breath, I kissed him back. I felt him shed a tear, and his hold on my neck also became more firm. Like if he loosened up even a little he would lose me. But I reassured him when I also held his cheek, wiping the tear that he shed. 

"Take me back. Please." He whispered on my lips, leaning his forehead on mine as we were both pulling each other by the neck. "I was going to ask the same thing," I whispered back with a chuckle. "I love you Eun. I seriously do. Like a mad man, I will love you like crazy. If you'll let me." the despair in his voice was so loud and clear. And how I felt about having him back was obvious to both of us too. 

"Shouldn't I be the one telling you that?" I asked, leaning back farther than before. I looked into his eyes and lay my palm on his left chest. "I broke this. I should be asking permission if I could be the one to fix it." I said, tapping his heart. "If you'll let me." I quoted. He smiled and nodded. Taking my hand to pull me to him for a hug. 


I can't remember what time, and how. But when I opened my eyes, I saw Daniel. For the longest time, I woke up with someone I love beside me. I woke because I heard Kyong playing on the floor mat. We were on the couch, his back to the couch,  me slightly on top of him. A blanket draped over us and his arms around me. Isn't he uncomfortable sleeping in this position?

I peeked at Kyong who was making very little noise with his car toys. He was clashing toys and making race car noises but not loud enough to wake the whole house up. I stood up slowly, only to be pulled back and be sandwiched between Daniel and the couch's backrest. "Sleep more. Kyong's fine." 

"I have to put him back to sleep. Or we can go play with him." I said, patting his cheek. He sighed. He loosened his arms a little until I could finally sit up. I looked at the little boy whose attention I caught. I smiled at him as he smiled back, leaving his cars to run to me until I carried him in my arms. Good thing my couch is huge. And mom thought it was unnecessarily big for my place.

"Auntie. Is Uncle Daniel sleeping?" He asked in a whisper. I scrunched my nose and nodded with a smile. "how about you? Why aren't you sleeping?" I asked him. "I was alone, and I got scared." He shivered in 'fear'. I pouted, trying my best to react accordingly. "You want me to sleep beside you?" I pinched his little nose that it made him smile. I thought he would agree without a doubt but he actually thought about his answer. 

Finally, he said. "What about Uncle Daniel? He'll be scared if he sleeps alone." He looked down with a sad face and a frown. "Yeah. He'll be scared." I heard Daniel mutter. I narrowed my eyes at him when he peeked at me in return. He wants me to leave Kyong in the room and go back to sleep with him. What a child. 

"It's ok. Uncle Daniel is already a big boy. He can sleep alone already." I said to Kyong. "But I'm also a big boy." He pouted. "Really? Then you can sleep alone too?." I asked Kyong. He frowned a little, having a mental debate about his answer. I chuckled softly at his adorable frustrated frown. "I'll sing to you again," I suggested. He smiled brightly at me, raising his arms so that he could hang on to me like the koala he is. 


I carried him back to the room and prepared to sing to him like I promised. Laying on the bed while tucking him in bed, I asked what he would like for me to sing to him. "Daddy's song." He smiled. I thought hard about what Wanna One song I could possibly sing. And in the end, I made a very mellow rendition of their song I'll Remember. 

It took me a while to get him to sleep again but luckily I did it. I was so entranced with Kyong sleeping so adorably beside me that I forgot about Daniel who was in the living room. So I left for a while to see him laying on the couch, awake and head turned towards the door. He was frowning, like the big baby he is. 

"To be honest, I almost forgot that you were here," I said, leaning on my door frame as he sat up and looked at me like he was greatly offended. "I'm also your baby." He scoffed. I shook my head at him, laughing as I walked towards him. "yesterday you weren't." I pointed out which made him frown.

Once again we sat on the couch, facing each other with our knees touching and our hands gripping. "I heard you singing our song." He smiled. "I missed your voice." He said, leaning his head on the couch while he stared at me with a smile. 

"You're going to have face cramps. Relax a little." I said, reaching out for his cheeks and squishing them so he would stop grinning like he's totally melted. "I just had a thought."  He laughed quietly. He crawled over to me and laid us down back on the sofa with him on top, cuddling his way to me like old times. 

"Imagine you singing to our son. That'd be amazing." He sighed in delight. I just sighed back. "We broke off our engagement.  We got back together in less than 8 hours. And now you want a baby?" I asked. "Yeah. That'd be awesome. Don't you think?" He said, turning to look up at me as I looked at him weirdly. 

"And when do you think that'll happen?" I asked. Instead, he grinned once more, but not the cute kind but the teasing kind. "We can always start making the baby now and everything else later." He rolled over slowly and hovered over me. "Calm your hormones, Kang Daniel. A child is sleeping in the other room." I pulled him back down to fall on me when he was about to dive in for a kiss on my neck. But he kissed me anyway. 

"Can I say something?"  He leaned up again. Raising my brows once, I asked what. "I never had any, after we broke up." He whined. Oh God, this man. I shook my head and laughed. "And so? You want a medal for abstaining or something?" I asked still laughing but he just said, "I've never thought about being that intimate with anyone other than you. Is what I'm trying to say." He laughed as well, gripping my hips. Well damn. 

"You're being sweet and you expect me to give you some afterward don't you?" I narrowed my eyes at him. He stared back, then slowly broke out a sly smirk. "It works though." He chuckled darkly. "You know it does." I pinched his cheek before I leaned forward and kissed him which he returned automatically. Some things just never change huh.