cameras made him awkward

Juice Cartons | Jaeyong NCT
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taeyong stared at the clock with a set expression.

Taeil, sitting beside him on the sofa, saw his expression. "Taeyong," he began warningly.

"No," Taeyong got up, taking off his jacket. "This is it. I am so sick of this. If he doesn't want to have dinner with me, he should have just said so."

"He's busy, Tae," Taeil said, reaching for his hand. "Things happen. Let him explain."

"He's not busy. Night Night didn't even happen today. Everybody is out having fun while I'm here wasting yet another Friday night waiting and waiting, as usual."

Taeil laughed, trying to lighten the mood. "Not everybody is out and about. Doyoung is sleeping in and Johnny is practicing. I wonder where Yuta and Winwin are though."

"They're probably out having fun like other normal people!" Taeyong said.

His friend sighed. "What did Jae reply?"

"I didn't text him. Why should I text him as if all I have to do is sit around, begging for his attention? Can't he just be on time for once? You know what, I'm going out."

"Taeyong, Taeyong, wait, let me call Johnny. He'll know what to do."

Taeyong rubbed his eyes and sat down. "I was so excited for tonight. So excited."

The living room was quiet.

"Come on, let's go to your favourite restaurant. My treat," Taeil said, softly.

"I appreciate what you're doing but seriously I am in no mood for pity. Just go sleep," Taeyong replied, laying back on the sofa, covering his eyes with an arm.

Taeil stood up. "Have something to eat at least."

"Go away."

Taeil went to his room and looked around, wondering what to do. He picked up his phone and scrolled to Jaehyun's number. In the early days when no one else, not even the two themselves, had realized what was happening, it was Taeil who had noticed how much Taeyong and Jaehyun enjoyed spending time together. It was Taeil who had told Taeyong to go for it, knowing that Jaehyun would take ages to say something. And it was Taeil who listened to all of Taeyong's worries about Jaehyun. He had encouraged Taeyong so much but now he felt if he had messed up somewhere. Taeyong was miserable.

Things had begun to change around the Cherry Bomb release when their ratings went up and people started taking note, giving attention even when it wasn't welcomed. If it was Taeyong who was beginning to hold himself up against the sea of cameras, Jaehyun was the one who withdrew himself inwards. He had admitted once, just once, to Taeyong that the cameras made him awkward, that the shiny lenses felt weird sometimes.

Taeil knew how much every member suddenly began to value his own private lives and apart from his roommates and Taeyong who sought him out himself, he gave as much space as possible to the others, not interfering in their lives overly. He closed his eyes and breathed out. Maybe what he was about to do was interfering too but he had to do something.

He pressed the call button.

"Hello, Jaehyun?"

-

When the bell rang, Taeil sat up, feel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter