dangerous as a plushie

Juice Cartons | Jaeyong NCT
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jaehyun was a considerate boyfriend.

It didn’t matter how diverging their schedules were. Every morning, Taeyong would wake up to find a plate of raisin and ginger pancakes ready for him. And of course, there was the kissing. Shy, awkward Taeyong could never get used to Jaehyun’s penchant for sneaking a kiss whenever possible but oh, how he loved it.

There was a time when Taeyong used to think that Jaehyun and him were close but every hour brought them closer, even when they were apart. With them there was no holding back. Jaehyun texted him all the time and it was so tough to hide the huge smile that would grace Taeyong’s features when he would pick up his phone to find a text (more like a hundred from him). He was secretly overjoyed Jaehyun went out of his way for him because he knew damn well that Jaehyun didn’t even like texting much.

“I thought you didn’t like texting people,” Taeyong had asked him, one day, soon after the whole dorm found out they had kissed and decided to throw them a Fudging Finally! Party.

Jaehyun raised an eyebrow lazily. “Yeah, so?”

They were sitting on the couch watching some anime Yuta was forcing everyone to watch because damn, goals, Winwin, I hope you’re taking notes.

Taeyong looked at him, confused. “You text me a lot though?”

“You’re not just ‘people’. You’re you.”

When Taeyong didn’t reply, expression stunned, Jaehyun rolled his eyes. “What? Like it’s surprising?”

The older guy looked away, bangs low over his eyes. “O-oh, thanks.”

Jaehyun nudged him playfully. “You’re ready for tomorrow?”

Right, the date.

Every time Taeyong thought about it, his inside would twist into super-excited butterflies and his face would heat up. So, of course, Jaehyun made a point to mention it at least fifteen times every day of that ridiculously slow week they counted down for that special Friday.

“Yes,” Taeyong answered, face shining like the sun.

Jaehyun grinned, leaning in to kiss his cheek.

“Eww, guys, get a room,” Haechan screeched loudly on purpose, making everyone turn around.

Taeyong ran a hand over his flaming red face. “Haechan!”

Jaehyun pulled him in, allowing him to hide in the warmth of his shoulder. He laughed. “I know Taeyongie is pretty as but you guys can stop staring now.”

“Oh my God,” Johnny groaned. “You guys are worse than this anime couple!”

Yuta made a lunge for Johnny. “Take that back! This is my favourite anime couple.”

Everyone started bickering by then and Taeyong who loved Jaehyun’s warmth used the commotion to kiss his neck quickly. Jaehyun stiffened, his ears turning pink. “Taeyong,” he warned.

“What?” Taeyong laughed, kissing him again, on his jaw this time.

“I could give the guys a show so stop testing me,” Jaehyun said, smiling dangerously.

“You’re hot, you know that? And right about as dangerous as a plushie.”

-

Taeyong was an understanding boyfriend.

He had always liked to take care of the younger man. He knew that Jaehyun’s room was messy but that he liked scented candles. No matter how tiring a week would get, Taeyong would always take care to clean the room and sure enough, when Jaehyun returned from a late NCT Night Night schedule, his room would be scented with his favourite candles.

Jaehyun could never get over the hundreds of subtle, tiny things Taeyong did for him without him even expressing what he wanted. Taeyong just knew.

Just like how he knew that Jaehyun liked to meet the world with a smile but he also knew that sometimes Jaehyun’s smile was too tight and when that happened, he would pull him into bed at night. They would just lie there listening to Johnny complain from across the room, can’t we just change rooms? I’m losing my beauty sleep.

They ignored Johnny, maybe even telling him to go to Jaehyun’s room, but mostly they would just lie there in silence. Taeyong would pat Jaehyun’s head and eventually the tension in Jaehyun’s shoulder would ease and they would fall asleep.

Jaehyun knew the dorm was their safe bubble and the members were so protective of them but the world outside was sometimes so scary. It didn’t affect Taeyong as much as it did Jaehyun or maybe it was that Taeyong had already had a fair share of the sharpness of the media but Jaehyun who never really got used to the cameras felt hyperaware whenever they went anywhere on schedule. As if someone would find out and something would happen.

He had once told Winwin his worries. “I know it’s not like we’re normal people who can get away with whatever. We’re always in the public eye and I know it shouldn’t affect me and it’s more him than me that I’m thinking about. He’s the leader, after all. He has so many responsibilities and I don’t want to add to his problems by doing something I shouldn’t. I’m scared for him.”

Taeyong had heard him and pulled him out onto the balcony. They had stared at the sky for what seemed like ages until Taeyong finally spoke up, “You shouldn’t worry. I won’t let anything happen to us. What you said…it’s true, we don’t have normal lives but seriously what is normal? I know we’re idols and in the public eye most of the time but I believe we should be allowed to love whoever we want to. So, I know you’re scared but I love you. I love you so much and it might not mean a lot but I will always choose you, no matter what.”

He was too stunned to say anything in response then but he promised himself as he hugged Taeyong, that that evening when they went out, he would say it back.

-

“What if he’s late? Will you go into angry ninja mode again?” Taeil asked, stuffing popcorn into his face.

Taeil and Yuta had taken the date very seriously and had stormed into his room around five o’ clock, offering advice and helping him dress up. After fighting over everything because their styles didn’t match—Taeil wanted something colourful and striking while Yuta wanted something subtle and y—and they absolutely didn’t allow Taeyong to choose anything of his choice. The end result was that Taeyong was wearing a bright orange pullover (which belonged to Taeil) and skinny, black jeans (that belonged to Yuta).

“You must wear this studded choker!” Taeil said forcing it around his neck. “And rings! One for every finger.”

“I don’t think—” Taeyong began.

Yuta sat him down. “I’m doing your hair. Jaehyun is going to die when he looks at you.”

“At your fashion sense? I fear he might,” Taeyong muttered but his words had no effect on the two.

When finally, at eight, he was allowed to look at himself in the mirror, he opened his eyes warily.

He frowned as he saw his reflection in the mirror. He looked good. Really different but actually good. His silver-grey hair was styled in a neat quiff with a few strands falling over right eye. His eyes were lined and he had a tint of orange eye-shadow that twinkled ever so slightly in the light. He raised his fingers and he wondered if the black nail paint had been a bit too much but he was thankful that Taeil had limited the rings to five in total. The orange pullover and the black jeans were a surprise match. Even the choker peeking over the cardigan looked okay. He nodded towards his tired ‘stylists’. “It’s not bad, Taeil hyung, Yuta. Thanks for letting me wear my own boots.”

The other two hugged each other in pride. Taeil had tears in his eyes. “I wanted to glue shiny sequins on to your boots but Yuta didn’t let me. It doesn’t matter because you look so perfect.”

“He does, doesn’t he?” Yuta said, fondly. “We should become stylists. I mean, if we can make Taeyong look hot…”

Taeyong threw a pillow at him. “It’s a miracle of my appearance that I look good in everything. Now, pass me my jacket?”

They couldn’t find his black leather jacket and in the end the ‘stylists’ decided Taeyong would have to go in his pullover and just shiver until Jaehyun offered him his own.

It was still five minutes to eight—the designated time that Jaehyun was supposed to pick him up for the date—and the three of them were waiting on the couch. Taeil and Yuta had started feasting on popcorn after their tirin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter