Chapter 7

Destined

Mark woke up and for a second he questioned where he was till he remembered. So much had happened in the last twenty-four hours he could barely believe it. He thought of his parents and brother and wished that they might be well and happy. He sat up slowly. The bed was so soft it was hard to get out of it, he glanced across the room and saw BamBam also beginning to wake. Mark struggled out of bed and retrieved his outfit from the night before. It seemed too fancy to wear during the day, but his own clothes were ruined from his journey and seemed to have disappeared from the room as well. 

Mark dressed quickly in his previous outfit and then sat to brush his hair. The tangles were nearly too much for the brush, and he winced in pain as it pulled at his hair. He heard BamBam get up and move around, but Mark was focused on his hair. 

“Would you like me to brush it for you?” BamBam asked suddenly. 

Mark jumped to see BamBam standing an arm’s length away. “No, I’m fine,” Mark said quickly. BamBam shrugged and went back to his side of the room while Mark continued to battle his tangled dark brown locks. A couple of minutes later BamBam servants bursted in and began to fuss over him. “I’m going to breakfast,” Mark said, having done his hair as best he could. 

“I’ll be there shortly,” BamBam groaned through gritted teeth. Downstairs Mark walked from room to room, taking in the immensity of the castle. He walked by the throne room, but it was empty. He kept walking, watching as servants went through their morning routines. Suddenly he heard what sounded like Jinyoung voice as he came close to another room. 

Mark paused for a moment, not wanting to interrupt. “Wish you luck in the competition,” Jinyoung said. 

“Thank you but I won’t need it,” a deep voice said. Mark heart began to pound, he started to move away, not wanting to be caught eavesdropping. A few minutes later Baekhyun appeared in the hallway, looking even more handsome than he had the night before. A smug smile was firmly in place, and it didn’t falter even a bit when he saw Mark. “You, boy, can you fetch me some water?” 

“Excuse me?” Mark asked, when he realized Baekhyun was talking to him.

“Oh, sorry, I thought you were one of the servants,” Baekhyun chuckled. 

“I’m not,” Mark frowned. 

“Are you really sure about that?” Baekhyun asked bluntly. “Listen, you might as well go home; I’ve got this competition in the bag.” 

“If you don’t mind, I think I’ll stay,” Mark said through gritted teeth. 

Baekhyun shrugged. “Whatever. You probably won’t even make it past the first test. I mean, look at you. Those ugly hands; the way you walk. I even thought you were going to drink the wash water yesterday. It’s obvious you’re not a prince, you’re a fake.” 

Mark opened his mouth to protest but couldn’t think of anything to say. Baekhyun was right, and from the look on his face he knew it. Baekhyun continued on his way, smirking. Mark thought about going back to his room, but he wasn’t ready to face a conversation with BamBam. Instead Mark walked towards the great hall. 

Mark realized that he was the first to arrive and took the same seat from the night before. Hurried-looking servants passed to and fro with barely a glance in his direction. A man entered the room, saw Mark, and made straight for him. Mark recognized him as the man who had brought him the beautiful suit. 

The man looked agitated, and he was wringing his hands. “Begging your pardon, my lord.” He bowed.

“What is it?” Mark asked, a note of concern. Mark feared that the king’s had rethought their decision to allow him to compete and had sent this man to deliver the news. “I’m sorry, but I just now put the rest of your things in your room.” 

“My things?” Mark asked confused

“Your other clothes and such. I was meant to do it last night.” 

“What is your name?” Mark asked. “Jiho, my lord.” 

“Jiho, who gave you this suit to give to me?” Mark asked curious. 

Jiho looked at him, confused. “Why, no one, my lord. I was told by the servant that it was your suits and to take it up to you along with the rest of your things.” 

Mark sighed, “Oh, well, thank you,” he said. Jiho nodded and then scurried away. Mark was no closer to discovering his benefactor’s identity. 

BamBam arrived at the table a few minutes later. “The rest of your things were delivered to the room,” he smiled. 

“So I heard.” He muttered. Not long after, everyone else was seated around the table, including Jinyoung and his parents. Compared to dinner the night before, everyone ate breakfast in relative silence. Mark guessed he wasn’t the only one who was nervous. The rich food wasn’t helping him to calm down either. 

As breakfast was finishing, King Wooyoung stood up to make an announcement. “As you know, the competition begins today. The first challenge tests your sensitivity. There will be four pairs of rings set before you. In each pair one thread is gold and one is fake gold. You must choose the real gold ring in each pair. Those who correctly identify all four gold rings threads may remain. The rest may leave or stay as they wish, but they will not continue to the next challenge.” 

All around Mark heads nodded in understanding of the challenge but Mark’s heart sank. Were these people’s hands really so sensitive, that they could tell real gold from fake in a single pair? 

“You may return to your rooms. A servant will come for each of you one at a time.” King Nickhun ordered. Back in their room Mark could not sit still, and he paced the floor. Right, left, left, right. That was what Jinyoung had written to him. That was how he should choose. 

“At least this first challenge should be easy,” BamBam said, attempting to make conversation as he sat at the table and watched Mark. 

It took all of Mark willpower to keep from yelling at him. He had never even touched a actual gold before. “So, all royalty should be able to tell the difference?” Mark asked. 

BamBam shrugged. “Any who have ever had lesson on currency, or given gold which would be a lot.” he then sighed. “It’s one of the many boring lessons I have.” 

“I’ve never had any lesson on currency,” Mark admitted. 

BamBam’s eyes widened, and then he smiled, “What wonderful parent’s you have unless they made you take other boring lessons?” He gasped

“No.” Mark said shaking his head, “But they let me do other things.” 

“Like what?” BamBam questioned

“I can cook. I make a great apple pie,” Mark smiled. “I was thinking of entering in a baking contest at the festival.” 

BamBam stared at Mark, mouth gaping. “They let you in the kitchen?” he squealed. 

“Of course.” Mark smiled

“And they weren’t afraid you would burn yourself or cut yourself?” BamBam asked shocked

Mark laughed. “Of course not. I learned how to handle knives and how to treat fire since I was little.” 

“Wow you really such great parent’s.” BamBam said in awe

Mark gave him a confused look, “But you’re a prince, shouldn’t you be tough and learned how to fight?”

BamBam shaked his head, “Sadly no, since not all men can get pregnant the ones that can are treated like women. We have to delicate like a flower so we don’t strain our bodies.” He sighed. Mark gasped softly as he never knew that. In his village whether or not a man can give birth they all are treated the same.

A sudden knock came at the door. The maid appeared. “Prince Mark, the king's are ready for you,” she said. Mark gulped as the maid to the throne room. There were fewer people there this time, just the king’s, a few servants, and a handful of petitioners. Mark looked around for Jinyoung but was disappointed to discover he was absent. 

“Come, Prince,” King Nickhun said. 

Mark stepped forward, and there on a table were the four sets of ring. Right, left, left, right. That’s what the paper had said. Mark prayed Jinyoung had gotten it right. 

“Tell us, which of the rings is real?” King Wooyoung asked. Mark touched each one in turn, closing his eyes as he did so he could concentrate on his sense of touch. In dismay he realized that he truly couldn’t tell the difference between any of the ring. 

After touching the last ring, Mark opened his eyes and looked at Jinyoung parents, who were leaning forward on their thrones, awaiting his answer. “The real gold ring is on the right, here on the left, there on the left, and here on the right,” he said, indicating each in turn. Mark looked up and held his breath, waiting for them to speak. 

“Thank you,” King Nickhun said. He made a motion with his hand and then turned aside to talk with King Wooyoung. 

Mark stood for a moment and then realized that he had been dismissed. “Excuse me, Your Majesties?” Both Kings looked back at Mark, clearly startled at the interruption. Mark could tell he had made a mistake calling the Kings out like that, but since he called called on them, he continued speaking. “Did I pass the test?” 

“We will make an announcement this evening at dinner,” he said. “You may go for now.” 

Mark bowed and just as he reached the door when he heard King Wooyoung say, “Just a minute. Mark?” 

Mark turned in feeling a little disappointed. Being demoted from “Prince” to just “Mark” couldn’t be a good thing. Unless he was overthinking to where they called him by his name because they were familiar with him. “Yes, Your Majesty?” 

“I would like you to stay for a minute. Come here, please.” King Wooyoung said

Mark moved quickly to stand before the thrones again. “We’re hearing petitions today. Competition or no, work still continues.” Mark didn’t know what to say, so he just remained quiet. “Two men are disputing over the right to farm a piece of land. I believe it is near your family. I’m going to let them argue their cases, and if I have any questions, I would like you to answer them. I would like to have an unbiased answer from someone who might be in a position to know a something about farming.” 

“I’d be happy to assist in any way I can,” Mark said, and then he bowed. 

“Steward, bring them in,” King Nickhun instructed. Two farmers entered and came before the king’s. One was tall, with wide eyes, and the other was short, yet a little on the chubby side with chubby cheeks. “Please share your complaint.” 

The short one spoke up. “Your Majesty, the land that I farm requires water for irrigation, which comes from a stream. We are neighbors and have always had an agreement to share the water. Two weeks ago, though, he dammed the water on his land, and now my crops are dying.” 

“We had no such agreement regarding the water,” the tall one insisted. 

“Steward, how many bushels does each produce a year from the land he works?” King Nickhun asked. Mark listened as the steward gave his answer, and he studied the two men closely. The argument was over whether or not there had been an agreement, which meant one of them was lying. The question was, which one? Each man continued to argue his side, while the kings asked additional questions. Mark watched each man closely as he responded, and even more closely when he was listening to the other one. 

“Mark, what do you think?” King Wooyoung asked quietly. 

Mark was surprised that the kings would ask his opinion. “The tall man is lying.” 

“Are you sure?” King Wooyoung whispered

“Yes.” Mark nodded, convinced finally of the truth. “They had an agreement; the tall one is lying.” 

“How do you know that?” King Nickhun asked curiously

“Given the crops being raised, the short man could not possibly expect to plant and harvest without a steady supply of water. He would have been a fool not to have an agreement with his neighbor.” Mark answered

“And what makes you think he’s not a fool?” King Nickhun questioned 

Mark answered, “Because he looked you in the eyes; he’s hiding nothing. The tall one wouldn’t look anyone here in the eyes, including his neighbor.” 

“Thank you, Mark. I appreciate your insight,” King Wooyoung said. “Steward, make sure the dam is removed from the stream.” The steward bowed and escorted the two men out. 

“Mark, you may go.” King Nickhun said. 

“Thank you,” Mark bowed, not sure what else to say, and left. 

Mark returned to his room, where BamBam was waiting on his chair, “You were gone for so long! What happened?” 

“There was a lot going on down there,” Mark sighed as he sat on his bed. 

“Did you pass?” BamBam wondered

Mark shrugged, “I don’t know. They are going to announce the results at dinner.” 

BamBam gasped, “That’s so cruel! Waiting the whole day is going to be horrible.” He groaned

“Prince BamBam, Their Majesties are ready for you,” said the steward from the doorway. BamBam stood up from his chair and followed him out. Mark wanted to wish him good luck, but in truth he hoped that every other person failed, including BamBam. Mark sat down in a chair and stared at the window looking toward his village in the distance. Mark tried not to think about the test, or Jinyoung which of course left him with very little to think about.