Chapter 4

Destined

According to Yunho, Lord Jaebum had a fever. Even though he was warned, in the end he still got it. Their plans of leaving for the castle was halted. Jinyoung could’ve chosen to leave and head back to the castle and probably getting a carriage to take Jaebum back, but he decided to stay with his friend. 

Thankfully the fever Jaebum had wasn’t too bad but he still needed to rest. As for Jinyoung and Mark, the two avoided each other like the plague only giving each other glances when they know the other was not looking. Mark’s family had a inkling but they didn’t know the true reason they they suddenly stopped talking to each other. 

Only Lord Jaebum knew the actual reason; from the beginning he saw the looks and glances the two were giving each other. It was easy to recognize that it was love at first sight for he himself had given his heart to his beloved even if the circumstances were against them were similar to Jinyoung and Mark. Jaebum was happy for his friend since that was what he was looking for all along. He knew it was a matter of time before the feelings leaked out. 

In his fever hazed mind he ordered the prince to fix their problems and for Jaebum he did. Once they were alone the Prince mumbled an apology to Mark and Mark did the same but that was it. After that they still didn’t talk to each other at least not like before.

After two days of being bedridden, Jaebum fever subsided and he was able to leave the confines of Yugyeom’s bed. He went outside and stretched his legs and after a check up from Mr. Jinwoon their plans to leave was back on track so the next morning they would be gone. 

That night Jaebum and Jinyoung sat together on Yugyeom bed. “So you seriously never made up?” Jaebum asked

“I apologized like you asked” Jinyoung scoffed

“I said to fix your problems, not apologize” Jaebum frowned

“What does it matter, he’s a farm boy, not a lord or a prince. As kind as my father’s are, they will not accept Mark as a candidate for my partner.” Jinyoung sighed

“So you admit that you want him?” Jaebum asked raising an eyebrow

Jinyoung sighed once more and nodded, “Yes I do.” He look up at his friend, “Jaebum this is the first time I’ve ever felt so so much for one person. I think he’s the one.” Jaebum internally cheered at his friend’s confession, “But it’s impossible for us to be together.”

Jaebum grabbed Jinyoung’s shoulders, “Jinyoungie, you always do what everyone expects you to do and you always go above and beyond but I think for once you should do what you want. Tell Mark how you feel and win him back.”

“But what about the kingdom?” Jinyoung argued

“Oh would you rather you marry one of those royals or would you like it if Mark marries someone else?” Jaebum questioned

Just thinking about Mark marrying or even kissing another man, upset him greatly, “Alright I’ll do it but if we go to war, you’re going on the front lines.” Jinyoung said, Jaebum snorted but nodded and Jinyoung got up to find Mark.

As he searched around he heard the rain lightly tap the windows before it came in full force and thunder boomed through the house. He found him in the guest room alone looking out the window, “Mark can I talk to you?”

Mark turned to him and raised an eyebrow, it was odd that Jinyoung would talk to him so suddenly especially since after they apologized he didn’t let Mark say a word as he left. “What’s there to talk about? We’re from two different worlds.”

“Mark please listen.” Jinyoung pleaded, Mark sighed and decided to do as the prince ask, “I was wrong to kiss you saying it was a thank you. The reason why I kissed you was because I care for just as you care for me.”

Mark gasped and blushed, “S-So what if I do?” He stuttered 

“It means that we would be together. You see, I believe that we were meant for each other and we were meant to find each other.” Jinyoung began, “I have traveled the world and no other person has ever interested me the way you have. We both have looking for our partners and yet no has caught our eyes and yet from the moment I’ve met you I haven’t been able to look away.”

Mark ears and cheeks turned red and his heart thumped loudly through his chest. What he said could be true, the storm bought Jinyoung to him, the storm had Jinyoung confess his feelings. He then turned to the windows; what will this storm bring? “Even if we both cared for each other, what will happen to your kingdom?”

Jinyoung was silence before he opened his mouth to speak, “I don’t know but what I do know is, is that I can’t let you go and for you I will fight for us.” Mark gasped as he could see in Jinyoung eyes was a fierce determination. “I want to take you with me back to the castle and together we’ll show my father’s that we were truly made to be together.”

Mark mouth opened and closed like a fish. He had no idea what to say.

“Jaebum and I are leaving in the morning and I really do want you to come so I’ll give you until then to think about it. If you come then obvious that means that you’ll give us a chance, but if you don’t then I’ll leave you be but I really hope come with me.” Jinyoung smiled sadly and with that he walked away leaving Mark with a lot to think about.

~~~~~~~~~~~

During the night the storm had subsided yet Mark was still left awake. He had no idea what to do. Once morning came, Mark still didn’t come to a decision he stayed in the guest room as Jinyoung and Jaebum started to pack their horse. They would be leaving within the hour.

At that moment, Jia, Yunho and Yugyeom came into the room, “Mark, Prince Jinyoung and Lord Jaebum will be leaving soon.” Jia announced as she moved to sit next to him on the bed.

Mark sighed, “Yes I know”

“Aren’t you going with him?” Yugyeom asked

Mark gasped, “How did you know about that?”

Yugyeom blushed as he rubbed the back of his head, “I’m sorry but I overheard you two talking.”

Mark shrugged, “I couldn’t go anyways. I mean who am I fooling? I’m just farm-boy, there’s no way his parents will let us be together.” His family was silent and as he looked up he saw them share glances at each other, “What?”

“Mark” Jia began, “There’s something we have to tell you.”

“What Mother?” Mark asked as he got worried over the seriousness that was within her voice,

“That’s just it.” Jia smiled sadly, “I’m not your mother.”

Mark stared at Jia in disbelief. “Why would you say such a thing?” he asked, wondering if an illness had affected Jia mind. 

“Because it’s the truth, and it is long past time that you knew it.” Yunho sighed and came to stand beside Mark. He put his hand on his shoulder, and he looked up at him. “She is speaking the truth.” 

“Are you my real father? Is Yugyeom my real brother?” Mark asked shocked. 

Yugyeom pouted, “No hyung but that doesn’t mean I don’t think of you as my real brother.”

“I’m not your real father either but I couldn’t love you any more if I were.” Yunho smiled sadly

“Then who are my parents?” Mark said he felt tears sting his eyes

“We can’t tell you that,” Yunho said. 

Mark stared at his family in disbelief, “You tell me that I’m not your actual child but you won’t tell me who my real parents are?” 

“We’re sorry Mark but for your safety we have to keep it from you.” Jia said

“So what can you tell me?” Mark wondered

“That you are a prince.” Jia smiled

Mark shot up, “A prince? How? Why? When?”

Yunho touched Mark’s shoulder and pushed him back down to sit on the bed, “Seventeen years ago we along with a few other kingdoms were at war with Ixania.” Yunho began. “And for many months it wasn’t certain that we could win. The turning point of the war came during one of the fiercest storms anyone could remember.” 

A storm. Of course. For one wild moment he wondered if maybe it wasn’t his fortunes alone that were tied to the tempests, but other places as well. “Assassins entered your family castle in the middle of the night under the cover of the storm and murdered the royal family as they slept.” Yunho continued said. 

Mark gasped as he remembered he heard this story before, “Wait a minute could the royal family that you are talking about is the family of Cordinia?”

The three looked at him in shock for they made sure never to mention the story in front of him, “Who told you brother?” Yugyeom asked

“Prince Jinyoung a couple of days ago but I never knew that it was about me” Mark said shakily, “H-How did I make it out alive? How did I get to you?”

“Sometime before dawn, before anyone knew what had happened at the Cordinia, we were woken by someone pounding on the door,” Jia said. “A woman was standing outside in the storm and she had a baby with her, a little boy less than a month old.” 

Mark began to shake. “The woman said her name was Suzy and that she was your nurse, and she begged us to take you in, to keep you safe, and to never tell anyone where you had come from. She then told us who you were and that men might come looking for you, to kill you. You were so tiny, so helpless. We agreed to take care of you and her, but Suzy refused to stay and was gone soon after. She promised to return when it was safe, if she could. We never saw her again, though.” Jia frowned.

“And did men come looking for me?” Mark asked

“Yes. They were soldiers of Ixania. They claimed that they were looking for a kidnapped child. They tried to pretend they were from Cordinia, but we knew they were not. The men arrived not even an hour after the woman had left.” Yunho replied

 

“We told them that you were our child, and they believed us and left. The next day we heard word about the tragedy at the castle, that all the royal family had been killed: the king, the queen, two princesses, and a baby boy three weeks of age. But there were rumors, however, that the boy’s body wasn’t found.”

Mark gasped. “A baby boy! That was me?”

“Yes because just before Suzy left she gave us a letter and your necklace. I suppose it in case we tell you the truth.” Yunho answered, “The letter and necklace are proof of your birthright.” 

Mark pulled out the gold necklace and stared at it, “Is this really true?” he gasped, turning to look at his mother. Jia nodded and then reached out her arms and folded Mark into an embrace. “Why are you telling me all this now?” 

“We should have told you years ago, but we were selfish, afraid we’d lose you,” Jia said sadly. 

Mark began to cry. “That could never have happened.” 

“When the war was over, we were afraid that someone will learn of your existence and try to kill you again.” A chill danced up Mark’s spine. Had he escaped death and never known it? “But now you must go to the castle,” Yunho said.

Mark shook his head. “I don’t want to be a prince. I just want to be your son. The king’s have done just fine all these years ruling both kingdoms. There’s nothing I could do for them, nothing I could offer.” 

“It’s not them that we’re thinking of,” Yunho said quietly and Mark looked at him confused.

“Prince Jinyoung loves you,” Yugyeom said for the first time in a while. 

Mark blushed. “He barely knows me.” 

"He knows enough. It’s possible to fall in love all in a moment. Your father and I did,” Jia said, smiling gently at her husband. 

“And you love him,” Yunho smiled. 

Mark lowered her eyes. “Even if I did care for him, he must marry a princess or a prince.” 

“Hyung you big dummy have you forgotten what we just discussed earlier! You are a prince.” Yugyeom scolded 

“I’m a prince” he whispered slowly. Those words have yet to process in his brain.

Yugyeom looked deep into his eyes, “Yes now, go get your prince.” 

“But I—” 

Yugyeom shushed him. “Hyung, you and Prince Jinyoung love each other and I think you two are destined to be together. All you have to do is trust your heart and follow it, so I want you to fight for your happiness hyung.”

Mark smiled at his brother, “Thank you Gyeomie.” He said as he hugged him before running out the room and soon the house. He ran over to barn where he saw Jinyoung and Jaebum fixing their saddles. Jinyoung turned his head and smiled.

Mark ran over to him and hugged him, “I didn’t think you would come.” Jinyoung breathed

“How can I fight destiny?” Mark giggled as he pulled away and stared into Jinyoung.

“Okay as happy as I am to see you. We have to go back to the castle.” Jaebum smiled as he climbed on top of his horse. The two nodded and Prince Jinyoung placed a kiss on Mark forehead and he climbed up on top of Peaches. As he was about to pull up Mark, Jaebum spoke, “Uh I think it would be better if Mark rode with me. Rumors will start to spread if he is seen with you.” He replied before Jinyoung could ask. 

Mark shrugged and walked over to Jaebum and his horse. Just before he could get on Yunho, Jia and Yugyeom came out of the house, “Wait!” Jia yelled, “Don’t you think you should say good-bye to us first?” She smiled. Mark hugged his family and whispered good-bye. Jia then handed him a hood and a letter, “If you should meet the King’s, give them this letter and your necklace and then I’m sure they’ll let you in but please remember to never tell anyone the name of your kingdom.” She warned.

Mark nodded and waved and with help from Jaebum he climbed onto the horse and the three rode off in the direction of the castle.

As they began their journey, all Jinyoung think about was Mark. Some way and somehow he will get his parent’s approval of him. Maybe if Mark joins the contest and wins then that his parent’s will see that Mark is just as noble as the others. The only problem is, is that he has no idea what his father’s will test everyone on and he’s unsure if Mark get the challenges.

He looked up at Mark’s back. he was amazing, strong yet graceful, intelligent and compassionate. He was everything he would want in a partner and yet nothing that his parents would accept. It will be a challenge to get his parent’s to accept yet he was determined to face it However he couldn’t help but whisper “Mark, why couldn’t you have been a prince?”

 

Mark felt a thrill of excitement exiting the village. Once he reached the castle, she would be farther from home than he could ever remember traveling. Though, if what his parents had said was true, he had been far from home all along.

A fierce wind began to blow as if seeking to force them to turn back. Fear began to overtake him. Maybe he was making a mistake; maybe he should return home. His parents needed him. What about Jinyoung? a voice in his head whispered. Maybe he doesn’t care for me like I think he does. What if it was all a mistake, and once he reaches the castle and see all the beautiful prince and princess he’ll reject me? 

Maybe his father’s have already chosen a partner for him, and I’ll have to watch him marry someone else. Who am I, after all, but just a farm boy who helped him? He may have been grateful, but perhaps gratitude was all that he felt. He thought about the kiss they had shared. Could he have kissed him like that if he felt nothing for him? The wind stung his cheeks mirroring the pain he felt in his heart. What is he doing?

As they drew close to the castle, a cry went up from the watchtower as the guards recognized Jinyoung and Jaebum. The sound used to thrill him, but this time Jinyoung squared his shoulders with a heavy sigh. He was home. He touched his heels to Peaches, and they cantered into the courtyard. No sooner had he reined the horse to a stop and dismounted, the prince and princesses seemed to pour out of every doorway, calling and waving to him. 

Amidst the noise and confusion one of his father’s suddenly appeared, a smile on his face, and wrapped his arm around him. “Welcome home, son.” His father King Nickhun greeted. “As you can see so many candidates are here in hopes to marry you.”

Jinyoung looked around. He saw the boy whose foot had been bruised by the rose petal. He looked like he was going to faint from the overexertion of the moment. One of the other girls jostled him, and he cried out in anguish. Prince Jinyoung shook his head. All of the princes and princesses vied for his attention except for one. He recognized him from the mountaintop castle. He was so small in stature as to be remarkable, and he stood back from the group, a look of vague interest on his face, but nothing more. 

Jinyoung sighed. At least he had some dignity. “Can we speak in private?” he asked his father. The king nodded. “Your father wants to see you first.” 

“I’ve missed you both,” Jinyoung admitted. He took a deep breath. “And the five of us need to talk.” His father raised an eyebrow. Jinyoung motioned behind him to Jaebum and Mark. They walked through the castle and entered in his father’s office.

The four of them were seated in his parents’ office, except for Jaebum who stood because he was a knight. When greetings exchanged and servants dismissed, Jinyoung took a deep breath. “I found the man I want to marry.”

Mark eyes widened, he didn’t expect Jinyoung to immediately come out with it. Since he’ve entered in the castle he was amazed by the beauty of it and when the prince and princesses rushed out to vie for his attention he wondered what exactly he saw him. But when he heard Jinyoung sigh and look distressed, he felt a little bit of hope.

His parents both looked surprised. “Is this he?” His other father, King Wooyoung asked and Jinyoung nodded, “Who is he?”

“His name is Mark. His father works a farm half a day’s ride from here, and he saved my life.” Jinyoung said

Mark sputtered at Jinyoung introduction of him, “Um well my family and I saved his life.” He corrected.

Jinyoung raised an eyebrow at Mark correction and even Jaebum gave him a side look, “I believe you better start in the beginning.” King Nickhun said. Jinyoung took a deep breath and drew himself up to his full height before beginning to tell them about the last few days. When he reached the conclusion, he stood, trying not to betray his agitation over what their response would be. 

His father’s were silent before King Wooyoung cleared his throat to speak, “Mark we are grateful for what you have done for our son and Lord Jaebum but we can not allow you to marry our son.” Mark heart clenched.

Both Lord Jaebum and Prince Jinyoung stood up. In his heart Jinyoung had known that was how his father would respond, but he couldn’t control the anger that rose in him. “He is a stronger and nobler man than any of those candidates that are in this castle,” he said. 

“That might be, but you know that you have to marry a prince or princess. We need a strong alliance with another kingdom,” King Nickhun said. “We also need to solidify our position here,” his father said.

“Then Your Majesty let Mark enter in the competition and let him show you how amazing he is” Jaebum asked

“I’m sorry and I’m sorry for you Mark for coming out this long way.” King Wooyoung apologize. “But it must be a prince or a princess.”

“Which is exactly why I will compete for your son’s hand in marriage” Mark said standing up.

“As I said before you must be a prince, in order to compete” King Wooyoung sighed, furrowing his brow.

“And a prince stands before you, Your Majesty” Mark smiled.