Chapter 6

Destined

Mark watched as Baekhyun found his seat at the other end of the table; he didn’t realize that BamBam watching his behavior, “Are you okay?” BamBam asked. 

“I will be.” Mark said, forcing a smile. 

A steward clapped his hands twice to get everyone’s attention. “Majesties, Highnesses, lords and ladies, I give you King Wooyoung, King Nickhun, and Prince Jinyoung.” 

Everyone rose to their feet as the royal family entered the banquet hall, and Mark followed as well. Jinyoung walked beside Nickhun and Jaebum had walked behind the three. Watching him at a distance, Mark was struck again by how handsome he was. He also seemed so different in this regal setting, as if he were far away in another world. And for an instant he forgot that he was his Jinyoung, the Jinyoung he had nursed back to health, the Jinyoung he had shared a stolen moment with just minutes before, the Jinyoung who had been leaning in to kiss him, again. 

Once Jinyoung and his parents were seated at the head of the table, the rest of the guests seated themselves. However Jaebum stood off to the side doing his job as Jinyoung’s knight. Just then platters filled with the most exotic food Mark had ever seen, steaming and aromatic, were carried in. The food Mark had assumed was the main course had been only the cold dishes. As he stared at what was set before him, he realized that he was ill prepared to act like a prince, especially since he didn’t even know how to eat like one. 

There was a bowl of what looked to be clear broth set before each person. Mark held in his hands it and then paused. Discreetly, he watched BamBam to see how he would drink it. BamBam reached toward the bowl and put his hands in it. He rinsed them thoroughly before drying them on a cloth set beside his plate. Mark felt himself heating up with embarrassment. He was about to drink the wash water. 

As the dinner progressed, Mark could hear the happy exclamations of the others as they tried first one dish and then another. All of the food must have been delicious, but Mark was so preoccupied with trying to eat like a lord that he barely tasted a thing. He took a bite of beef and nearly choked. 

“Are you alright?” BamBam asked. 

Mark nodded and then quietly asked, “What is this?” 

“Beef.” BamBam said if it was obvious.

“I know, but what’s on it?” 

“I don’t know which spices,” BamBam confessed, “but it is amazing. If this dinner is a sampling of what the cook can prepare, that alone would make staying here worthwhile.” 

Mark glanced toward the head of the table and caught Jinyoung staring at him. He blushed and tried to smile. He raised an eyebrow and he smiled wider, hoping to convince him, and himself, that everything was just fine. 

Finally, to Mark’s relief, there was a lull between dishes, and King Wooyoung stood up to address his guests. “Everyone welcome to Caledonia,” he began. “We have called you here because it is time for our son Jinyoung to take a partner. With so many beautiful and worthy prince and princesses we realized that choosing one over the other would be impossible. Therefore we devised this contest. The lord or lady who can pass each challenge will demonstrate themselves to be the most delicate, the most refined prince or princess of all and will become our son’s partner, and the prince or princess of Caledonia.” 

There were many murmurs of approval from around the table. But Mark noticed Jinyoung looked as troubled by the situation and gave a face to Jaebum who merely shrugged. King Nickhun then spoke, “The first test is tomorrow. Everyone, I would suggest you adjourn to your rooms immediately after dinner so that you may be well rested. I want to take this opportunity to wish you all luck. May the best prince or princess win!” 

Mark sat in silence, a feeling of unease growing within him. Meanwhile everyone around him chattered excitedly. BamBam gave him a cheerful smile, and Mark was not as quick to return it. More food continued to arrive from the kitchen, but Mark’s stomach was clenched too tightly for him to think about eating any more. 

He glanced up and down the table, wondering if it would be rude for him go to his room. Did he need to ask the king’s permission to leave? Was he expected to stay until dismissed? Inwardly, Mark groaned in frustration. There were so many things he didn’t know. His parents had raised him to be honest and hardworking. They knew nothing of courts and kings and etiquette and could never have prepared him for his current situation. 

“Is something wrong?” BamBam asked. 

“I don’t feel so well,” Mark admitted. He didn’t like sharing his discomfort, but he realized BamBam was the only one who might help him get the answers he needed. 

“Are you sick?” BamBam asked, leaning away in alarm. 

Mark shook his head. “No, just exhausted. I would like to lie down and rest.” 

BamBam signaled to a servant, who approached. “Could you tell the king’s that my companion and I are tired and wish to retire for the evening?” BamBam asked politely. The man bowed and then hurried to the head of the table, where he spoke to the King Nickhun. King Nickhun looked down the table at BamBam and Mark, smiled at them, and nodded. “Let’s go,” BamBam said, rising. 

“You don’t have to leave if you don’t want to,” Mark protested. 

“Hush, I couldn’t eat another bite. Besides, you heard what King Nickhun said about getting our rest. I have a feeling we’re going to need it.” 

As Mark followed BamBam from the hall, he resolved to watch and copy the other boy’s mannerisms and behavior, since he hadn’t the slightest inkling of how he was supposed to act. 

Approaching the staircase, Mark began to look around him. When he had first arrived, his thoughts had been consumed with his task, and he hadn’t taken a close look at his surroundings. Without guests streaming down it, the empty staircase was wide enough that Mark could lie down flat on a stair and still leave enough room for people to walk up on either side of him. The dark wood seemed to glow in the light from all the candles and torches that adorned it.

At the top of the staircase Mark saw three long corridors, in addition to the one that led to his room, dimly lit by candlelight. He stood for a moment, peering down each of them and breathlessly wondering which one led to Jinyoung’s bedroom. BamBam called to him softly to get Mark’s attention and started walking toward their room. Mark dropped his eyes to the stone floor and hurried down the hall after him. 

Back in their shared room BamBam collapsed in the chair he had been sitting in earlier. “So what did you think of our competition?” he asked. 

Mark immediately thought of Baekhyun, and he felt anger rushing through him. Even though he decided to not put the entire blame on the prince it still isn’t right that he was there competing. Competing as if nothing had happened, as if his family hadn’t slaughtered Cordinia royal family. No, not just the royal family, Mark reminded himself. His family. 

“Is something wrong?” BamBam asked, concerned. 

Mark shook his head and glanced down at his hands. His fists were clenched so tightly that his fingernails were cutting into his palms. He forced his muscles to relax, and he did his best to put Baekhyun from his thoughts. Mark took a deep breath and thought about the other prince and princesses he had met at the table. “They all looked very beautiful and seemed quite pleasant.” 

BamBam stared at him for a moment before giggling. “They’re royalty. Of course they were.” 

“So, I guess all prince and princesses are beautiful?” 

BamBam giggled harder. “No.” 

Mark looked at him confused. “But you just said—” 

“You said that they all looked beautiful. That’s true, but it doesn’t mean they are. With skilled help even the plainest person can be beautiful.” 

“Really?” Mark asked, his eyes widening at the thought. 

“Really. Although, clearly, that’s something you’ve never had to worry about.” BamBam said with no bite.

“Where I come from, how I looked was not important,” Mark shrugged. 

“We should all be so lucky,” BamBam sighed. 

“I think you’re teasing me.” Mark smiled. 

BamBam shook his head. “Before my looks were all I cared about but now I’m just sick of it. It’s not real it’s not the real me. They aren’t really as they seem.” He huffed, Mark instantly felt bad for the prince. “Do you remember the girl sitting across from you?” Mark nodded, “She had a wart on her chin.” 

“No!” Mark laughed

“Oh yes. And the boy across from me—” 

“You mean the one with the dazzlingly white teeth?” Mark questioned

“Uh if you mean the one with the dazzlingly fake white teeth.” BamBam snorted. Mark gasped as he couldn’t believe it. “The girl with the red hair that was so perfect it almost didn’t seem real was actually a wig.” Mark sat down on his bed and began to laugh until tears streamed down his face. It felt good to laugh. There had been so much heaviness, so much sorrow lately, that finding something to laugh about was a relief. 

“Okay, what about Baekhyun? What’s he hiding?” Mark finally asked. 

BamBam smile faded. “A cold, evil heart.” 

Mark stopped laughing. “Are you sure?” 

“Yes. I can read people. It is somewhat of a gift. I think. Anyways his physical beauty is genuine enough, but his spirit is whole other dark matter.” Mark shuddered. Baekhyun was the son of people who had had an entire family killed in their sleep. To expect him to be a warm, caring person would be to expect an apple tree to produce peaches. “We probably should get some sleep,” BamBam said.

“Yeah you’re right,” Mark said, realizing for the first time how exhausted he was. He turned to look at his bed and wondered for a moment if he would even be able to sleep in it. It was incredibly soft, much more so than what he was used to sleep on. It stood several inches higher from the ground than his as well and was piled with furs and blankets. 

Undressing quickly, Mark slipped between the sheets and it was softer than lying in a field of spring grass. He thought about Jinyoung sleeping in his tiny, hard bed at home and marveled that he had been able to get any rest. In the quiet of the dark room Mark’s thoughts turned to home, and he found it hard to believe that he had left there only hours before. Mark closed his eyes and tried to sleep but an hour later Mark was still awake, wishing that he could fall asleep. The feeling of restlessness in his strange surroundings and the worry for the competition made it harder to rest. Mark could hear BamBam lightly snoring, and wish to the gods above he could do the same. 

Mark then began to hear the sound of soft footfalls. He held his breath, wondering for one wild moment if the King’s were checking to see who might be sleep. His worry gave way to curiosity as he realized that it didn’t sound like the shuffling of a human’s step. A wet nose touched his hand and Mark sat up with a start and saw Coco standing next to his bed. She held something in . 

He stretched out his hand and Coco dropped a roll of parchment into it. “Good, Coco,” Mark whispered, scratching her behind her ears. Coco leaned into his hand for a moment. Then she turned and left the room. BamBam was still asleep, so Mark decided to risk lighting the candle on the table by his bed. The flame flared brightly to life, and he shielded it with his hand as he glanced toward the other boy's bed. BamBam continued to snore. Mark carefully unrolled the parchment. The letter had been written in a strong, sure hand. Mark, if you hope to pass the test tomorrow, do as I instruct. Jinyoung had done as he promised. Mark breathed a sigh of relief before reading on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jinyoung couldn’t sleep, and Jaebum found himself pacing in front of his parents’ chambers. Before he could question the prince, Wooyoung opened the door, saw the two standing there, and held it wide for them to enter. Nickhun was also up and sitting at a table, quill in hand. 

Jinyoung and Jaebum walked in, closed the door, and Jinyoung asked, “What kingdom is Mark from?”

King Nickhun shook his head. “Sorry son but we can’t tell you.” 

The two were very confused, “Your Majesties why not? Who will we tell?” Jaebum asked wondering why it’s such a secret.

“We know the two of you won’t say a thing but if you have not forgotten we have many people within the castle from different kingdoms. We do not know who’s listening. Saying which kingdom he’s from, could get him killed.” King Wooyoung said seriously

Jinyoung and Jaebum gasped, is the matter that serious? “If he actually is who he said he is.” King Nickhun muttered

Jinyoung frowned, “You don’t believe him? He has proof of his birthright. He could’ve claimed it all this time but he didn’t, it wasn’t till we met and fell—hung out that he was told the truth of his royal title.” 

Both King’s looked at each other, their son was right, “We allowed Mark to compete and we will not pull him out but if he wins, a lot of questions will be asked about him and his kingdom and we would like to cover all the bases before another war could be started over him winning.” King Wooyoung said, “And that’s the last thing anyone wants.”

Jinyoung understood since he knew a war could spark because other kingdoms would have preferred their child to win. However an ugly thought came to him but Jaebum asked the question before he could, “And what if he doesn’t wins?” 

“Then Jinyoung shall marry the winner immediately, and their parents will support us in whatever comes,” King Nickhun sighed. 

Jinyoung shook his head. “It’s always about politics,” he muttered. 

“Always. And as prince you would do well to remember that,” King Wooyoung said. 

“But I love Mark.” He finally said and his parent’s looked at him.

“It’s a noble sentiment, but treaties and alliances are based on mutual self-interest and gain, not love,” King Nickhun said. 

“Don’t lose hope in him,” King Wooyoung added. “He could win.” 

“How?” Jinyoung asked bitterly. “These contests you have arranged are absurd.” He sighed

Jaebum then spoke, “If I may be so bold, Your Majesties-”

“When have you not.” King Nickhun snorted. Jaebum family was very closely tied to Jinyoung family and the two became fast friends at a young age. It’s to the point to where the two King’s view Jaebum as their own son.

“Then let me say that I very much doubt that most nobles could pass them, let alone Mark, who has worked his entire life and known nothing of ease or finery.” Jaebum said and Jinyoung had to agree since it was only a mere few hours ago that he learned of the challenge and he had to say it was quite stupid.

“You boy must have more faith in him, and in us,” King Nickhun smiled. Jinyoung and Jaebum paused and stared at him for a moment, trying to interpret his meaning. 

“Is there something you haven’t told me?” Jinyoung asked at last. 

“We have told you two everything you need to know,” King Wooyoung smiled. 

But not everything I want to know, Jinyoung thought. He debated whether or not to press the issue further but sensed he would get nothing more from his parents at the moment. But Jinyoung could play that game too, he didn’t know all that his parents were planning, but he could do everything in his power to make sure that at the end it was Mark and not anyone else who was still standing.