Chapter 12

Destined

As the royal family entered in, King Wooyoung and King Nickhun had a kerchief covering their nose and mouth and even Jinyoung, upon seeing the sick princes and princesses and disarray of the room, looked slightly ill. A servant scurried over to them and he whispered a few words Mark couldn’t hear, and then the king nodded. 

“Our apologies everyone. It seems you have been unfortunately served some rather unwholesome food,” King Wooyoung began. Mark glared as he crossed his arms. The King made it sound like an accident, when it so clearly had not been.“In light of the current situation I think it only fair to ask each of you a question. Do you want to continue on with the tests or withdraw?” 

There was murmuring amongst all of them as the implication of his words sank in. The king was giving them a choice: quit the field of competition or continue on and risk the consequences. Given that they had been intentionally fed food that made them ill, there was nothing to make them believe that continuing in the competition would be a safe course of action. What would the next two tests bring? Mark glanced at BamBam. The other boy had been so sick Mark had actually worried for his life. How could he trust that the final two tests wouldn’t get someone killed? 

King Nickhun turned toward Baekhyun, who was nearest him. “Prince Baekhyun, do you withdraw or do you continue?” 

“I will continue,” Baekhyun said. 

“Princess Momo?” 

“Withdraw.” 

Again there was murmuring from the others. “Princess Jeongyeon?” 

“Withdraw.” 

“Prince Jackson?” King Wooyoung asked. 

“I will continue,” Jackson said with a shaky voice. 

“Princess Jimin?” 

“Continue.” 

“Princess Jennie?” 

“Continue.” 

“Prince Youngjae?” 

Youngjae stood up and bowed. “I choose to withdraw.” Mark stared at him, he knew Youngjae didn’t want to win, but it still surprised him that he had withdrawn. 

“Princess Hani?” 

“Withdraw.” 

“Prince BamBam?” 

“I wish to withdraw,” BamBam croaked. 

“Prince Mark?” 

Mark bit his lip, he had not come so far or endured this much not to continue, no matter the cost. “I will continue,” he said. 

King Nickhun and King Wooyoung nodded “Very well. Prince Baekhyun, Jackson, and Mark and Princesses Jennie, Jimin will continue on to the next test. The rest of you may leave if you like, but you are certainly welcome to stay and observe the proceedings.” King Wooyoung said.

Mark looked at Jinyoung and realized that he was just as upset by what had happened as he was. Mark gave him a slight nod and hoped that he knew he didn’t blame him. Servants began to help the prince and princesses to their feet and to their rooms. Mark joined Youngjae, BamBam, and Jackson. 

Mark noticed that Youngjae pale skin was flushed a dark, angry red, his eyes flashed as he spoke, “This is intolerable. I participated in their little games, but no more. The king’s of Caledonia should just be grateful I am not taking this poisoning as a declaration of war. It will, however, be many years before the people of Ars consider an alliance with Caledonia.”

“It is in poor taste given that their allies were assassinated,” BamBam sighed before giving Mark an apologetic look. 

“Although it would have served Ixania right if Baekhyun had died,” Jackson muttered. 

“I can’t believe you withdrew,” Mark said to BamBam. 

“Sure you can,” BamBam smiled. “Because you know deep down that sooner or later one of these insane tests would have killed me. Plus I have someone in my heart and Prince Jinyoung would never fill that role.” He said dreamily. Mark smiled knowing he was talking about his brother, however it surprised him he was still thinking about Yugyeom. 

“You are amazingly fragile,” Youngjae commented. 

BamBam sighed deeply, “I blame my parents.” 

“I want to withdraw, but I can’t,” Jackson groaned. “But there is still danger that my uncle will try to overthrow me and claim the throne for himself. I need an alliance with Caledonia. What about you, though?” Jackson asked Mark. 

Youngjae snorted as he rolled his eyes. “There’s no way he’s going to withdraw, he’s in love with Jinyoung.” 

Jackson’s eyes widened. “I had no idea, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised; he is incredibly desirable, not just because of his position but because of his character.” Jackson bit her lip. “You have been very kind, and I respect your feelings for the prince, but I won’t withdraw.” 

“It’s okay,” Mark shrugged. “Besides, we were competitors first, friends second. And whatever happens here, I hope that the latter can still be true.” 

“Definitely” Jackson smiled moving to hug Mark.

“We can be sure that Baekhyun will never give up, he wants the throne too badly. Even if he could be dissuaded, his parents would still push him.” BamBam said. 

“Does anyone know much about Jimin or Jennie?” Youngjae asked. 

They all shook their heads. “I wish there was some way to get them to drop out,” Jackson said. 

Youngjae sighed, “Well, I’d love to continue this discussion, but could we please do it out in the fresh air?” 

Mark smiled. “I was thinking something similar.” 

“I could use a bath,” BamBam sighed. 

“Well, if you’re not afraid of a little cold water, I’ve got a great idea,” Youngjae smiled mischievously. 

“You aren’t serious!” Mark laughed. 

“Watch me. After that stunt they’ll be lucky if I only bathe in the fountain,” Youngjae said haughtily. 

“What are the two of you talking about?” Jackson asked confused. 

Youngjae held out a hand to Jackson as Mark helped BamBam stand. “Come with us and find out.”

~~~~~~~~~

Jinyoung and Jaebum was strolling through the garden complaining about the latest test when they found them all in the fountain. BamBam was sitting on the side with only his feet dangling in the water while Youngjae had submerged himself entirely, and Mark and Jackson were splashing each other and laughing. 

“What are you doing?” Jinyoung asked in a shocked voice. 

“Celebrating,” BamBam answered. 

“Celebrating what?” Jaebum asked confused

“That BamBam and I are no longer in the competition,” Youngjae said, surfacing and spitting water out of his mouth like the fish that topped the fountain. Mark noticed that Jaebum looked fondly at Youngjae.

“Well, two of you are still in the competition, so make sure you don’t let my parents catch you,” Jinyoung warned. 

“I think Prince Jinyoung is being too serious,” Youngjae smiled. “What do you think?” 

“Oh yes, definitely too serious,” BamBam laughed. Mark hadn’t felt so free since leaving the farm. He had been so focused on winning he’d forgotten to enjoy life along the way. Mark took careful aim with Youngjae and BamBam and then splashed Jinyoung. 

“YAH Youngjae! Mark! BamBam!” He yelped and jumped away from the fountain’s edge. Mark started laughing and wasn’t sure he’d ever stop. All the pressure of the last few days seemed to slip away. 

“Okay, all this excitement is a little too much for BamBam,” Youngjae said with a grin. “Come on, let’s go change into clean, dry clothes.” 

BamBam rolled his eyes. “I have enough people telling me what to do,” he protested. Still, he stood up, retrieved his shoes, and started walking with Youngjae toward the castle and Jaebum followed after them.

Jackson looked suddenly uncomfortable, “I think I’ll go with them,” he said, splashing out of the pool. “We’ve already had too much sun and are sure to be burnt.” 

“That just leaves you and it would seem I would have to chase you out of this fountain,” Jinyoung said with a smile. 

“You’ll have to catch me first,” Mark smiled, he splashed him again, and to his surprise Jinyoung jumped into the fountain. Mark squealed which he swears was manly and backed away, trying to splash water in his face. He chased after Jinyoung, water spraying around him, his boots slowing him down. He finally dashed straight through the cascading water tumbling from the fish sculpture and finally caught Mark. 

The laughter died on his lips and Jinyoung leaned in and kissed him. Mark put his arms around his neck, and he wrapped his around Mark’s waist. He lifted him up into the air, and for a moment the world seemed to fade away. There were only the two of them and the kiss that he wanted to last forever. How long it did last, he didn’t know. 

“I love you,” Jinyoung whispered as he pulled away and Mark’s heart beat quickly. “I can’t believe how much you’re putting up with for me.” 

“So are the others.” Mark blushed.

“No, they’re doing it for their parents or for their kingdoms and the alliance they hope to gain. But you, you’re doing this just for me. Why?” 

“I love you too,” Mark answered. “I don’t care who knows it or what I have to do to prove it.” 

Jinyoung kissed Mark’s cheek, “You have proved it a hundred times over. It should be me proving my love to you,” he breathed. 

“And how would you prove this love?” Mark asked. 

“I would do anything for you. I would swim across an ocean to find you. I would walk through fire to be with you. I would sacrifice my life for your happiness.” Jinyoung said passionately. 

Mark cheeks pinked, “I think I’d settle for another kiss,” he smiled. 

“You shall have all you could ever want,” Jinyoung said, before kissing him again. When he pulled away again, he said, “You’re shivering.” 

“Because of you.” Mark smirked

Jinyoung snorted. “I wish that were true however I believe the winter and the water have more to do with it than I do. You should go inside and change.” 

“I don’t want this moment to end,” Mark frowned, “What if it’s our last?” 

“Mark, it is only our first.” 

“Promise me.” Mark whispered 

“I promise you. Whatever it takes, whatever I must do, we will be together, always.” Jinyoung helped Mark out of the fountain and he pulled on his shoes. 

“Good because I could not bear it if you married Baekhyun,” Mark admitted, staring at him.

“Whatever game my parents are playing we have to trust that that means something since you are still here.” Jinyoung stated, “I swear to you Mark, nothing is going to come between us, do you understand me?” Mark nodded his head slowly, “Well, you better get inside quick; you’re getting a chill.” 

Mark nodded again and hurried back toward the warmth and safety of the room he shared with BamBam. Jinyoung was right—the wind that was blowing and the cold water had conspired to give him a chill. But deep in the back of his mind he knew it wasn’t cold, or love, that made him shiver. It was the fear that he might lose. 

Unbeknownst to the two, a woman had been watching them within the shadows.

In the room, BamBam seemed happy, sipping a hot beverage, curled up in a chair, while he and Jackson listened to Youngjae telling his stories of Ars, when Mark arrived back at their room. “You simply must come to visit me,” Youngjae urged. “We could have wonderful adventures.” 

BamBam frowned. “My parents don’t approve of adventures.” 

“Then we won’t tell them we’re having adventures. You can come for my wedding.” Youngjae grinned

“The lord?” Jackson asked in surprise. 

“I think you mean Lord Jaebum” Mark grinned. 

Jackson and BamBam gasped, “Seriously? Lord Jaebum? Prince Jinyoung’s knight Jaebum?” BamBam said in surprise. 

Youngjae nodded happily with a sigh. Mark took off his wet clothes and began changing into his pajamas. “How can you be engaged already?” Jackson asked and Mark was relieved to talk about something that didn’t involve Jinyoung or Baekhyun.

“Simple,” Youngjae smiled. “My parents agreed that if I came home without a husband, I could marry Jaebum. It’s a good match, not as strong as one with Caledonia would have been, but it is suitable.” 

“Congratulations,” Mark smiled. 

BamBam turned to look at Mark, “What’s wrong?” He asked. “Didn’t things go well with Jinyoung?” 

Mark couldn’t hide his expression of surprise. It was uncanny how quickly BamBam could pick up on his moods. “Jinyoung was wonderful. But now here I am again, and all the uncertainty is back and I don’t know how much longer I can do this,” Mark admitted, not yet ready to say more. 

Jackson moved to rub his back, “As long as it takes.” 

“Would you like us to poison Baekhyun for real?” Youngjae asked, a little too eagerly. 

“No,” Mark snorted as he shaked his head. “But thanks for the offer. Are you two going to be leaving soon?” He asked, suddenly realizing just how much he would miss them both. 

“No, we plan to stay to see you win your prince,” BamBam said. 

“We have to stay just in case you decide to change your mind about poisoning Baekhyun,” Youngjae added with a glint in his eye. 

“Remind me never to eat anything you’ve prepared,” Jackson laughed and Mark laughed along with him. 

Youngjae grinned. “You’re fairly safe. I’ve never made a meal before so I wouldn’t know where to begin.” 

“You know, I’ve been trying to understand what these challenges are really testing,” BamBam said. “I think I figured out the last one.” 

“It was testing who was stupid enough to risk getting seriously injured by continuing on?” Jackson asked with a sigh. 

“No,” BamBam snorted.

“So, what was it testing?” Youngjae asked more seriously. 

“I think it was important that we were each allowed to choose whether or not to continue. It’s almost like our ability to persevere in the face of danger and difficulty was being observed.” 

“Then you and I failed,” Youngjae shrugged. 

“Would they test something like that?” Mark asked. It must be difficult to be a ruler, but he had no basis for comparison. His parents, the people in his village, even he himself never had any choice but to persevere. If you didn’t persevere, you didn’t eat, you didn’t survive. 

Youngjae looked at him curiously, “Of course they would. Being a king is hard work. You have to put the entire kingdom before yourself. You have to push yourself to work long and hard, making sure complaints are heard and resolved, keeping the peace, protecting against invasion, figuring out year after year how to protect, feed, and shelter your subjects.”

“Also” BamBam added, “And when a ruler has a bad day, they can’t just go to bed and pray for the next. They needs to work through their problems, face them at that moment. Lives are at stake with every decision, every breath.”

“I’m sure Jinyoung parents want to know that whoever they choose for their son will have the strength, the fortitude to be by his side. To keep going no matter what the cost, the personal risk—that is what we do.” Youngjae said.

“Look at me for example” Jackson sighed, "I knows my uncle is going to try to kill me so that I can be king. A normal person might run away, or let him have the throne but a ruler can’t run, and I can’t back down. I'm going to stay and fight for the good of my kingdom. In the end it might cost me my life, but I already know that, and I’m going to perseveres anyway.” Jackson stated.

Tears began to stream down Mark’s cheeks as he fiercely hugged Jackson. He couldn’t imagine being in Jackson’s position, no one would want to kill a farmer’s son, “How do you do it?” Mark asked. 

Jackson muttered, “I does it because I have to,” he said as he hugged Mark back, tight. 

Jackson shoulders began to shake, and Mark realized he was crying as well. “I promise I will do anything I can to help you,” Mark said. It wasn’t much, but it was all he had to give.