Chapter 5

Destined

All four nobles stared at Mark in shock, after what seemed like an eternity of silence was finally broken by King Wooyoung, “I thought my son had said that you were a farm-boy?” He asked looking at Jinyoung.

“That’s what I thought because he was living in a farm with his family” Jinyoung said in disbelief.

“That’s what I thought too until my family told me a secret that they’ve been hiding for a long time.” Mark said sadly

“Please explain yourself.” King Nickhun said

“All my life I had believed that I was a simple farm-boy and that my parents and brother was actually my family but a few hours ago they told them that I wasn’t their actual son. They had adopted me from a woman who was trying to save me.” Mark said

“Who is this woman?” King Wooyoung asked

“My parent’s said that her name was Suzy.” Mark revealed and Jinyoung noticed that his parents shared a look between each other.

“What royal family are you from?” Jaebum asked

Mark shaked his head, “I’m sorry but I promised my family that I would not say the name at least not until they are sure it’s safe.”

“Do you have any proof of this?” King Nickhun asked

Mark nodded and he first removed his necklace and letter and handed them to the King’s. King Wooyoung opened the letter and the two King’s read it’s contents and gasped. They look to Mark for an explanation, “I have had that necklace for as long as I can remember but my parents made me swear never to reveal it anyone. As for the letter, my mother gave it to me saying it was proof of my birthright and that once I get here I have to give it you.” He explained

“If what you say is true and if these things actual belong to you then you may compete in the competition but you have to understand that we have an obligation to investigate this matter.” King Wooyoung stated as he gave back Mark’s necklace but he held onto the letter.

Mark smiled as he placed the jewelry around his neck and hid in underneath his shirt, “Of course and thank you, Your Majesty.” He bowed

The Kings stood up, leaving the three boys in the office, Mark grinned as he turned and face a still shocked Jaebum and Jinyoung, “You’re really a prince?!” Jaebum yelled

“How come you didn’t tell me?” Jinyoung frowned.

Before either one of them could say more Mark silenced them, “Haven’t you two been listening? I just found out this morning.”

They actually haven’t been listening, their minds were still stuck on the fact that Mark was actually a prince. Jinyoung grabbed Mark’s hands, “I’m sorry love, but it just that-”

“Yes we would’ve spared each other the heartache, but even if we found out before we still have another obstacle to jump over.” Mark said

“The competition.” Jaebum sighed, “And also the competitors, I didn’t expect so many prince and princesses to actually arrive.”

“Yes and sadly I’m not knowledgable in anything of that had to do with being a prince so I believe I’m at a great disadvantage.” Mark frowned

Just before Jinyoung could say anything, a servant entered in the office, “Forgive my intrusions, my Lords, but the Kings requested of me to bring Prince Mark to his room.” He announced as bowed to the three.

Jinyoung sighed and Mark started to panic. Jinyoung leaned close to him and whispered, “Don’t worry, I will do all I can make sure it is you that call my husband.” Mark blushed as he nodded his head and followed the maid to his room.

“And what exactly are you doing to do?” Jaebum asked

Jinyoung turned and looked at him, “I have no idea. Who knows what test’s my father will put these candidates through” he sighed

“Well we better find out. Mark will never win if they should test him on politics or law.” Jaebum said.

Jinyoung raised an eyebrow, “You will help?”

Jaebum scoffed, “Of course I will help, it’s not everyday your find your soulmate.” Jinyoung grinned, at least now he has one ally on his side. Jinyoung patted Jaebum shoulders before leaving his parent’s offices and separating ways with Jaebum to head to his own room.

He was halfway there when he heard barking and turned to see a white dog racing down the hall toward him. “Coco!” The dog leaped into his arms and his face, making him to laugh. “I missed you too, girl.” 

Together they continued to Jinyoung chambers. A large four-poster bed took up most of space in his bedroom but yet there were still lot of room. Rugs covered the stone floors, and tapestries that had been woven hanged on the walls. He looked around and thought about the long year that he’d been gone. So many things he had seen and done, and yet here he was again, seemingly no wiser or bolder than when he had left. 

Perhaps he should leave with Mark, and get married in secret. If he had brought him home as his husband, there would have been nothing his parents could do. However sneaking away like a coward in the night wasn’t exactly courageous. He was tired. It had been a long journey, and his head ached as though to remind him that he was still recovering from his injury. He sank down on his bed and wondered what new challengers would be awaiting him in the coming weeks. Coco just whined and his hand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mark followed the servant down a corridor, the man turned to him to apologize, “I’m sorry my lord, but you’ll be sharing a room with another prince. So many young prince and princess have arrived, and half of them accompanied by parents or relatives so sadly we don’t have rooms for all.” 

Mark smiled, thinking of the small house that he shared with his parents. “I don’t have any problem sharing,” he said. The two climbed a grand staircase and turned down a long hallway lined with doors. Mark wondered briefly if he would get lost among so many rooms. The servant turned into the open door at the far end of the corridor. 

Mark followed the servant into the room. The bedroom was grand, and much larger than his entire house. A boy seemingly younger than Mark himself was seated in a chair looking confused at him. He was beautiful, with snow white hair and large brown eyes. “Prince BamBam, Prince Mark,” the servant introduced with a bow to the other boy in the room. BamBam? That name sounds so familiar.

“Hello,” BamBam said, rising from his chair. 

“Hello,” Mark greeted, he was somewhat skinny yet tall. 

“My Lords, the banquet will be in one hour,” the servant said before leaving. 

“He did say your name was Prince BamBam, right?” Mark asked because the name was coming back to him.

“Yes, why?” BamBam asked confused

“Well my brother well my adopted brother Yugyeom said-”

“Yugyeomie? You know him?! You’re his brother?!” BamBam ran up to him and placed his hands on his shoulder with wide eyes.

Mark gasped, realizing the truth, “You pretended to be the servant, didn’t you?!”

BamBam shushed him, “Not so loud.” he whispered, “My servants are always around and always report to my parents so the last thing I want them to know is that I escaped from the castle and pretended to be a servant and also fell in love with someone other than the prince.”

“So why did you do it?” Mark asked confused

“I didn’t mean to.” BamBam began pulling away, “But I saw him and he was so handsome and while we were talking I fell for him. I knew I should’ve told him the truth but he wouldn’t speak to me the same way.” He blushed, “Does he talk about me?”

“Well he didn’t tell me but he told my mother about you and I didn’t find out till a while ago. But when he talked about he was smiling and I think I saw his cheeks blush.” Mark revealed

BamBam smiled widely, “Really?” But that smile fell, “Even though we might like each other, we can’t be together. I’m a prince and he’s a farm-boy.”BamBam then gasped, “Wait you said he was your brother which means he a prince too right?”

Mark was shocked by the boy’s sudden mood change but when he heard the prince’s question he shaked his head, “No it’s a long story but Yugyeom’s only my adopted brother, so he’s not a prince.”

BamBam shoulders drooped, “Oh.” He looked so sad and he wished that he could so something about it, “So where are your things?” he asked. 

Mark looked down at his ragged clothes. “I’m sadly this is all I have,” he said regretfully. 

Mark expected BamBam to laugh at him but instead BamBam eyes flew open wide, “What an exciting adventure you must’ve had! How long did it take you to get here?” 

“My whole life, it seems,” Mark shrugged. 

“Wow! You must tell me all about it,” BamBam said, eyes flashing with excitement. He clapped his hands together like a child receiving a gift. 

“Sure,” Mark shrugged. Just then a trio of servants bustled into the room and seized BamBam. 

“My lord, we must get you ready for the banquet!” one exclaimed. “Now, you haven’t been agitating yourself, have you?” another asked. “You know what your mother would say,” the third added. BamBam face fell. Mark watched in awe as the three women hurried BamBam into a fresh new outfit and began combing his hair. Mark could only watch when BamBam’s protests of wanting to comb his own hair went unheeded. BamBam looked so forlorn that Mark’s heart went out to him. 

“I wish I could loan you an outfit to wear tonight,” BamBam said. 

“I don’t think I could wear any of yours,” Mark said. 

BamBam shrugged, “Where are your servants?” He asked, scowling briefly at his own. 

“I don’t have any.” 

“Then who will help you get ready?” Before Mark could answer, BamBam smiled brightly, “Oooh Dara can help you.” 

He indicated to the youngest of the three servants. “There will be none of that,” one of the other women spoke up. “It will be our behind’s if you aren’t presentable.” BamBam frowned. But a movement in the doorway caused his eyes to light up. 

“My lord?” Mark turned around and saw the same servant that guided him to his room, stand just inside the door holding an blue outfit. It was the loveliest thing Mark had ever seen. “My lord?” the man repeated, and with a start Mark realized he was speaking to him. 

“Yes?” Mark said wondering why he was talking to me.

“I was instructed to bring you this outfit.”

“It’s for me?” Mark whispered in awe. 

“It is.” the man said nodding his head. 

Mark took the outfit, marveling at the feel of the fabric beneath his fingertips. The man bowed and then turned and left the room. BamBam somehow managed to free himself from his maids and came over to look at it. The blue was so deep that it reminded Mark of the first time he had ever seen the ocean. Delicate gold embroidery circled the neck and wrists in a pattern that reminded Mark of vines. 

“It’s beautiful,” Mark whispered. “And it’s looks so expensive. But I gotta say I’ve never seen anything so pretty.” 

“It isn’t yours?” BamBam asked confused

“No,” Mark said shaking his head. 

“Well, someone wants you to be the most exquisite lord in the castle.” BamBam smiled.

Mark shaked his head, “It must be some mistake, or else maybe they didn’t want me wearing this to dinner,” he said, indicating his current outfit. 

“It would reflect badly on all of us,” BamBam noted. “Still, I think whoever sent you this outfit must be very fond of you.” 

Mark thought of Jinyoung. Could it have been him? He was the only one he knew in the castle, after all. “Maybe so,” he said. He glanced down at himself. “I just wish they’d been fond enough to send shoes as well,” he said but with a hint of humor. 

BamBam glanced down at Mark tattered shoes. “You can wear a pair of mine.”

Mark shook his head. “I don’t think they’d fit.” 

“Actually, I think we wear the same size.” Mark glanced down and noticed that BamBam feet were much larger than he had expected. “Dara, please bring me a pair of shoes,” BamBam said. 

With a disapproving sigh at Mark, Dara handed over the shoes. They were black, and larger than he would have expected. Mark took them and then sat in a chair to try them on. “My brother always teases me about my shoes but I got it from my Mom.” BamBam said as Mark slid on the shoes. The shoes fit perfectly. Mark admired them for a moment, hoping that the outfit would fit so well. 

He looked at the rest of his body and realized that he really needed to wash before putting on the outfit. He found a washbasin and pitcher and set about cleaning up. As it turned out, the outfit was also a perfect fit. BamBam loaned him a brush, and Mark managed to comb it. After a few minutes work Mark checked his reflection in a looking glass. “I look like a prince,” he whispered. 

“I would hope so,” BamBam teased, his demeanor relaxing now that he was no longer being fussed over by his servants. “Let’s go; we don’t want to be the last to arrive.” Out in the corridor they found themselves swept into a procession. Many young men and women poured from every room to join the rest heading to the main hall. 

Arrayed in so many different colors, heads bobbing about, they made Mark think of them as a field of wildflowers waving gently in the breeze, all consumed by a single thought: Which one of them would be deemed worthy to be Prince Jinyoung partner? They descended the staircase, and Mark tried to get a good look at the people around him. From what he saw, BamBam was certainly one of the prettiest ones. 

Mark ran a hand over his hair, wondering how he compared and sure that he stood out as the outsider in the group. I don’t belong here, he thought, his stomach twisting in knots. When Mark reached the bottom of the staircase, he paused, watching as the others continued into the hall. 

Even though the king and queen had let him enter the competition, Mark didn’t have a hop of winning. He looked at the other boys and girls, with their petite figures, and pale skin, and he knew he was nothing like them. Who was he kidding if he thought he could pass for a prince, let alone a delicate, pretty one. Why should he try if he was always destined to fail?

BamBam looked back at Mark, but Mark made a motion with his hands to let him go ahead of him. “Hey.” a voiced said behind him.

Startled, Mark turned and found himself staring into Jinyoung’e eyes. “Hey,” he said, with a shaky voice. 

“I’m sorry I frightened you.” Jinyoung apologized and Mark shook his head dismissing his apology. “You look amazing,” he said as he looked at him up and down. 

Mark smiled, “Thank you for the outfit.” 

Jinyoung frowned as he shook his head, “I didn’t send it for you, although I wish I had thought of it,” he confessed. 

Mark gave him a confused look, “If it wasn’t you who sent the outfit, then who did?” 

“I honestly don’t know.” Jinyoung shrugged. A beautiful dog with long white hair bounced up next to Jinyoung and whined. “Hey, Coco, let me introduce you to the Prince Mark.” 

Mark extended his hand, and the dog sniffed it and then it. “She’s beautiful,” he said. 

“Thanks,” Jinyoung replied with a small smile. 

Mark looked through Jinyoung’s eyes. There were so many things he wanted to say. The hallway became silent as the last of the chattering prince and princesses disappeared from view. They were alone. Mark could tell him exactly how he felt, but somehow being in the castle was so much more awkward than walking around the farm. The grand size of the building took his breath away, and he had been almost afraid to look at the art that decorated the walls, feeling as though a stare might ruin the delicate work. 

Jinyoung stepped closer, and for a moment Mark forgot to breathe. He put a finger under his chin and tilted his head up toward his face. “There’s a question I asked you that you’ve never answered.” He pinned him with his stare, and Mark felt the rest of the world melt away. It was as if only the two of them existed. Softly, he asked, “Is it me?” 

“To be honest, I did answer your question but I lied. It is you.” Mark breathed. Jinyoung smiled and leaned in to Mark and he closed his eyes. 

“Your Highness!” Mark jerked, and he opened his eyes just in time to see Jinyoung turn aside, a look of irritation on his face. Jaebum smirked at the two, “Your parents wish for you to join them in the throne room.” 

“Thank you, Lord Jaebum,” Jinyoung said through clenched teeth, he then turned to excuse himself, he stared at Mark with smoldering eyes. “Pardon me,” he said, bowing. “I’ll see you at the banquet.” Mark nodded, not trusting himself to speak.

Jinyoung strode toward the throne room after the Jaebum, and after a moment Mark continued on in the direction the others had gone and quickly entered the great hall. In the banquet hall Mark discovered that BamBam had saved him a seat toward the head of the table, and he gratefully took it. Mark counted nineteen other candidates besides himself at the table. There were several others that he took to be parents or older siblings of some of them.

“Did you come here with anyone in addition to your servants?” Mark asked. 

BamBam smiled, “Nope. I was able to convince my parents that I will be fine with just my servants. It took a while but I was able to get them to say yes” he grinned widely and Mark smiled along with him.

Nearly all of the chairs at the table were filled, and it looked like almost everyone had assembled except for Jaebum, Jinyoung and his parents. Mark was mesmerized by the high ceilings, the length of the table—which would take a good while to walk—and all of the ornate clothing. 

Even the lower-ranking servants wore finer clothes than Mark had ever owned. The table was set with bunches of brightly colored flowers, gold and silver plates, and food he didn’t recognize laid out in large bowls and platters. None of Mark’s dining companions seemed the least amazed or impressed by it all. He swallowed hard, reminded once more of what an trespasser he was in Jinyoung’s world. 

Suddenly there was a collective intake of breath from the guests seated around the table. Mark turned to see what everyone was looking at in the doorway. A young man seemed to gracefully enter into the room. He had raven black hair and eyes to match. His skin was so pale Mark had to wonder if he’d ever seen the sun. His face was proud and his posture rigid and his magnificent golden suit put all the others, including Mark’s, to shame. He was the most handsome man Mark had ever seen. 

Several of the other’s groaned quietly in dismay at the sight of him, “Who is that?” Mark asked BamBam. 

“Byun Baekhyun, the prince of Ixania. Everyone thinks he’s the one to beat.” 

“Just because he is pretty? The challenges haven’t even begun,” Mark said. 

A girl to BamBam left shook her head. “Don’t worry. Baekhyun is sure to win every one of them. When Baekhyun wants something, he gets it.” 

Mark gritted his teeth. Why was it that the son of the evil Ixania devils who had caused such turmoil and despair during the Great War looks like an angel? Mark had an abrupt desire to tear the other boy apart with his bare hands. Baekhyun’s parents had murdered the Cordinia royal family—his family, Mark reminded himself. 

He wanted punch the other prince’s face but by anyone’s measure engaging in a brawl during dinner at the castle was definitely not something a prince should do. Besides he shouldn’t really blame Baekhyun for his parent’s crimes. It wasn’t like he suggested it.