Chapter 13

Destined

The next morning Mark waited anxiously with Jackson, Baekhyun, Jennie, and Jimin in a small room in the castle. He had no idea what the next challenge was to be and he had waited up half the night, but Coco had never come with a message for him. 

Finally, King Nickhun entered, alone. “Good morning,” he greeted them. 

“Good morning,” Mark answered with the others. 

“One of the most priceless things a prince or a princess has is their beauty,” the king began. “Although for some of us men we are warriors we still have to be just as beautiful as a princess. Meaning it would horrible if your skin was marred so here is the fifth test. You will each put your hand out one of these windows and leave it there for a quarter of an hour. We will then check to see which of you have burned skin.” Jimin and Jackson gasped, and Baekhyun groaned.

“I can’t,” Jennie said through pursed lips. 

“But you must, or forfeit,” the king said. 

Jennie shook her head. “I can’t. I won’t. I’m going home.” 

“You may go,” the king said, standing aside to let Jennie pass. Mark stared after her. Was it really so much worse than everything that had gone before? He couldn’t believe it. “You may begin,” King Nickhun said. Each of them moved to a window and put their hand out into the bright sunlight. Fifteen minutes later they were allowed to pull their hands back inside. Then they followed the king to another room, one without windows. “You may wait in here,” the king said. “In an hour I will return to check your hands.” 

King Nickhun left, and Mark took one of the chairs, staring glumly at his hand, he couldn’t sit still, though, and began to pace. Even in the dim candlelight Mark could see the sunburns on the others hands. How can I make my hand look burned when it’s not? he wondered. There was nothing in the room to stain it red or pink. Mark continued to pace, turning the notion over in his mind. 

Maybe I should stop worrying about the sunburn and focus on figuring out what the real test is. Mark thought of everything BamBam had said about the tests behind the challenges. Yesterday had been about perseverance. From what the king had said, a royal would consider it terrible to get a sunburn. Why? Because they think it mars their beauty. So, then, why allow it to happen? Because they want to win. And what are they proving? Mark had to win; he was so close to the end of the contest, and the memory of Jinyoung lips on his and their connection spurred him on. 

All he cared about was the fact that he loved Jinyoung and he loved him as well and Mark had to try. Jinyoung had been so passionate when they kissed; what had Jinyoung said about proving his love? Could the prince and princess risking their beauty prove something to the kings? 

Then, suddenly, something Jinyoung had said came to him: I would sacrifice my life for your happiness. Mark stopped pacing. That was it! The Kings wanted to know if they would sacrifice their beauty to win Jinyoung. Sacrifice. That was what it all came down to. Rulers had to sacrifice their own desires. Mark glanced over at Jackson, sometimes they had to sacrifice their own lives. If that was it, the others had already sacrificed; they had burned their hands for the test. But his hand wasn’t burned. It couldn’t have sunburned with such little exposure to the sun. 

How can I prove that I am willing to make sacrifices to be with Jinyoung? What else had Jinyoung said? Mark gasped as he remembered: I would walk through fire to be with you. Mark knew what he had to do. He glanced around the room to make sure that no one was watching him. The other three were all preoccupied with watching the reddening of their skin and were paying him no mind. Mark walked over to a writing table where one of the few candles that illuminated the room sat and he put his back to the others so that they couldn’t see what he was doing. 

Mark gritted his teeth, then his hand into the flame. The pain seared through him and Mark wanted to jerk his hand away, but he forced himself to hold it for a moment. Mark finally pulled it out of the flame and stared down at the angry red of the skin. He collapsed onto a chair and tried not to whimper. King Nickhun returned with King Wooyoung, and Jinyoung. They led the royals out of the dark room and to the great hall and Baekhyun, Jackson, and Jimin presented their burned hands in turn. 

Finally, Mark presented his hand, which had begun to blister. “What have you done to yourself?” Jinyoung exclaimed when he saw it. 

Mark gave him a tight smile. “Only what you would do for me.” 

“I’ll have someone come to your room to look at that,” King Wooyoung said, giving Mark a concerned look. 

“Thank you, Majesty.” Mark bowed

“The four of you shall continue on to the final challenge,” King Nickhun said. 

Mark made it to his room before the tears came. BamBam exclaimed in despair over his injured hand. “This was stupid; there had to have been something else you could have done,” BamBam gasped. 

Mark shook his head. “I sacrificed. That’s what was required.” 

“Jinyoung wouldn’t have wanted you to hurt yourself, though. Why did you leave your hand in the fire for so long?” BamBam frowned.

“I had to be sure.” Mark sighed. A minute later an older gentleman arrived and put a poultice on his hand, which helped some of the heat. 

Once he had left, BamBam glared at him. “You know the goal is to marry the prince, right?” He said. 

Mark was slowly getting irritated, “Yes, what’s your point?” 

“You can’t marry him if you’re dead.” BamBam frowned but slowly it softened, “Just promise me you won’t do something stupid tomorrow.” 

“I would like to promise that,” Mark muttered and then he yawned. “All I can promise at the moment, though, is that I’m going to bed.” As he drifted off to sleep, however, he knew that BamBam was right to be worried. The tests were becoming harder, and there was no telling what he’d have to do next.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jaebum sighed as he watched his friend paced back and forth in his room, “Can you believe him? He actually burned his hand? What the hell was he thinking?!” Jinyoung complained

“That he has to win so he did what he thought was necessary?” Jaebum answered as if he thought it was obvious.

“Jaebum, he could’ve seriously hurt himself or worse. I can’t marry a corpse!” Jinyoung said looking frustrated.

“Well I know a witch who could bring Mark back to life but he won’t look the same and probably not smell the same as well.” Jaebum grimaced

Jinyoung frowned, “Jaebum this isn’t a joke. Mark is risking his life for me and I can do is offer up promises! I want to so much more for him but I can’t do anything.” Jinyoung flopped on his bed and placed his hands on his head.

Jaebum moved to sit next to him, “You and I both know that’s not true, Jinyoungie.”

Jinyoung sighed, “I know but that’s how I feel.”

Jaebum patted Jinyoung back till an idea came to him, “How about you send a letter to Mark?” He suggested and Jinyoung nodded as he moved to his desk to start the letter. Jaebum sighed as he watched as he also wished to help the couple find their way to be together.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mark woke to feel Coco his uninjured hand. The room was pitch-dark, and Mark sat up slowly, lit the candle by his bed, and took the scroll from Coco. My Beloved, I was horrified to see what you had done to yourself on my behalf. My love, I am not worth injuring yourself. Please do not do something so foolish again. I will find some way for us to be together, no matter the cost. Yours always, Jinyoung. 

Mark reread the letter twice. No mention of the final test. He sighed knowing that most likely his parents are keeping a secret even from him so Mark could only hope it’s not as bad. Mark scratched Coco ears before blowing out the candle and falling back asleep. The next day Mark was surprised to discover that more people were arriving at the castle. Rows and rows of coaches pulled up outside, and he watched out the window as nobles from several different countries arrived. 

Mark could see some of the royals who had chosen to stay despite no longer being in the competition greeting friends and relatives. Even if they hadn’t won, it seemed everyone was excited. He thought back to his own feelings of excitement when he had first heard there would be a royal wedding. Apparently, that was one feeling peasant and noble shared alike. How long ago that moment seemed, and now here he was in the castle, doing everything he could to make sure the royal wedding would be his wedding. 

“Who are all those people?” BamBam asked, coming to stand next to him. 

“I think they are here to see the final challenge and participate in the Festival. Several people from Jackson’s and Jimin’s kingdoms have arrived,” Mark said, pointing to two tight little clusters. Jimin was embracing people who looked to be family members while Jackson was greeting his guests more formally, and Mark remembered with a pang that he had lost both his parents. Mark wondered which of the men standing near him was his villainous uncle, or if he had decided to stay home and plot against him. Mark shivered. 

“Who is that group?” BamBam asked, pointing to a large cluster of people who stood apart from the rest. 

“Baekhyun parents—and it looks like every living relative he has is with them,” Mark said, overcome with a wave of sadness, he dearly wished he could be greeting his own parents. 

“How’s your hand?” BamBam asked

“It hurts a lot,” Mark admitted as he rubbed it lightly.
~~~~~~~~~~

The morning passed without a mention of the final test. With the castle bursting with even more people, it seemed that there was nowhere to go to have some solitude. Mark escaped to the garden, where he spent several hours talking with BamBam and Youngjae. They had asked Jackson to join them, but he had looked miserable following the arrival of the nobles from his country and seemed to want to be left alone. 

The boys moved away from the window going back to their room however Mark noticed dark clouds slowly coming towards the castle. Was a storm coming?

When dinnertime came, the great hall was crowded with all the newcomers. Mark was surprised when a steward bade him sit with Baekhyun, Jackson, and Jimin at the end of the table closest to Jinyoung and his parents. Mark looked regretfully at his usual seat next to BamBam. He wasn’t excited to be seated next to Baekhyun. Mark became anxious as the meal progressed and still nothing was said about the final test, he found herself moving his food around on his plate instead of eating and it seemed Jackson was doing the same. 

Just before the meal drew to a close, King Nickhun stood, and silence fell on the room. “Majesties and Highnesses, Lords and Ladies, you all know why we are here. One of these four prince and princess will marry our son and become the new prince/princess of Caledonia. They have each passed five challenges and are worthy of the greatest honors that can be bestowed.” 

The waiting throng applauded, and Mark felt himself blush. The king continued. “This week we have set forth many challenges, and these prince and princess have nobly endeavored to pass them. In order to ensure that each once was thoroughly tested, the true nature of each test was kept a secret. Until now.” 

Mark turned and locked eyes with BamBam, who nodded and smiled, as if saying he was right. “In the first test we asked the princes and princesses to choose the real gold ring. All of the rings were gold. However, each person was then asked to listen to a petition—and to determine which petitioner was lying and which was telling the truth. Those who could tell the difference passed that test. Discernment was the key.” 

Mark gasped, so that had been the real test. He should’ve known and that means BamBam had been right. Not only were all the rings gold; it was not the real test. That was why each of them had chosen differently among the rings and yet been allowed to continue on. 

King Wooyoung then spoke, “The princes and princesses believed that suffering the pain of a single lost hair was the second test. In truth the second test was how they handled the loss of a single subject—in this case our the servant Jiho, with whom each of them had interacted only briefly. Those who showed concern were allowed to continue on to the next challenge. Compassion was the key.” 

Mark turned his eyes to Baekhyun, he had not observed Baekhyun face upon hearing the news of Jiho’s passing, but he was surprised that Baekhyun had been able to have a thought for anyone other than himself. “I am happy to announce that there was a bit of deception on our part in that round. Jiho is alive and well.” King Wooyoung stretched out his hand in the direction of the kitchen, and there stood Jiho and bowed. 

Mark smiled happy to know that the man was actually alive, “For the third test the prince and princesses were asked to walk barefoot across the grass, with the only possible results being injury or elimination. While some were injured, one extensively, another refused to bend to the task and another risked exposure as a cheater to pursue what he wanted most.” There were murmurs from the crowd, and Mark felt his cheeks burning. That whole time, and he hadn’t been fooling anyone. All that stress, and Jinyoung’s parents had known exactly what it was that he was doing with the berries. 

King Wooyoung continued. “We were not actually testing the sensitivity of their feet but the stoutness of their heart. For this test courage was the key. The courage to do what you must, the courage to take a stand, or the courage to risk everything you have for what you want most.” Mark smiled as he looked to Youngjae, who was smiling as well. “The fourth test came when most of prince and princesses became ill from the food they ate. While some thought we were testing to see if their stomachs were too sensitive for commoners food, this test was devised to measure something quite different. We wanted to see how they would respond in the face of adversity, whether they could continue on despite hardship. Perseverance was the key.” 

“I said so!” Mark blushed as he heard BamBam exclaim. 

“The fifth test, a test of burning the prince and princess’s delicate skin, was in fact a test to see who understood sacrifice. We asked these lords and ladies to sacrifice something of value, their beauty.” Mark shrugged while looking at his still bandaged hand. No one could say he hadn’t passed that test. “This leaves us with one final test, a test that we shall conduct here with all of you as witness.” Mark felt his heart sink as he waited to hear the challenge. “Each person will tell us why they would be the best person to marry our son.” 

King Wooyoung sat down amidst the sudden uproar. Mark stared dumbfounded at Jackson. Mark knew nothing of speaking in front of a large group of people, and he doubted she could convince anyone that he was the most worthy prince. “Prince Baekhyun will go first,” King Nickhun said. 

Baekhyun rose to his feet, and the crowd quieted, he was calm, and composed, as his eyes swept everyone in the room, and Mark couldn’t help but admire his confidence. “For decades there been bad blood between Caledonia and Ixania and these are old feuds whose time has passed. An alliance between Ixania and Caledonia will ensure peace between these two great kingdoms, and their combined strength will discourage aggression in others. I bring the heart and goodwill of my people. I also bring the wisdom and experience to rule at your son’s side.” 

Baekhyun took his seat amidst loud applause, particularly from the many people of Ixania who were present. Mark looked down at his injured hand, trying to decide what he would say. “Princess Jimin, would you please speak?” King Nickhun asked. 

Jimin stood and her dark red hair was piled high on her head, standing straighter than she managed to stand. Her hands were slightly shaking, and she kept her eyes fixed on the table. “I have passed every test. I am the most sensitive princess of the four of us. I also know how difficult it can be to lead a kingdom so I believe I am to best choice for your son. Please choose me.” Princess Jimin sat down to a scattering of applause. 

Mark’s heart began to race as he prayed se could do better. “Prince Mark, why are you the best choice to marry our son?” King Wooyoung asked him.

Mark rose to his feet, took a deep breath, and looked at the King in the eyes. “I believe that I am the best choice for the simple reason that I love your son more than anything. I have left my home to be here. I have sacrificed much, including my family and my dignity, attempting to pass these tests and I know that I have demonstrated the qualities that you are looking for in the challenges. I have no kingdom, no riches, no alliances to bring to this marriage. I can offer nothing but myself, but I believe that to be of great value. And I would cherish every day I had with Jinyoung and live it as though it were my last.” Mark sat back in his chair and heard a few people cheer and applauding for him though he suspected it was his friends. 

“And Prince Jackson, what do you have to say?” King Nickhun asked.

Jackson then rose to his feet, his light brown hair was slicked back, and while looking at him, Mark knew he would be a great king. “Of everyone here I have the most to offer and the most to gain from an alliance with Caledonia. I do not need to tell you the wisdom of that. However, I don’t believe that is the question. You haven’t asked me what’s best for Caledonia, but what is best for your son. I know in my heart that Mark is best for your son. He inspires friendship in those who would be rivals. He has compassion for others, the likes of which I have never seen. He understands hardship in a way none of the rest of us ever will, and yet he has the courage of a lion. He has pledged to me his aid, when I made no such pledge to him. Mark loves your son and he loves Caledonia and Cordinia.”

Jackson sat down and gave Mark a small smile while he could only stared at him in return. “You are a true king,” Mark said, reaching out to take Jackson’s hand. Finally understanding the qualities that made a king, he could think of no higher compliment. 

“As you will be shortly,” Jackson smiled, squeezing his hand. 

Mark glanced toward Jinyoung and saw his parents whisper briefly to each other. Then King Wooyoung stood up again, and the room fell silent. “All four prince and princess have exceptional qualities. This final test, one of self-confidence, has been most illuminating. The King and I will spend tonight thinking and discussing what has happened here. In the morning we will make it known who our son will marry—Mark or Baekhyun.” 

Pandemonium broke out as roars of excitement went up from the onlookers. There were a few disappointed exclamations that punctuated as well, but they were mostly drowned out by the clamoring of a hundred voices. 

Mark turned to Jackson. “What just happened?” 

Jackson smirked as he shook his head. “It’s just you and Baekhyun now. Tomorrow we all will know who will marry Prince Jinyoung and become the future King of Caledonia and Cordinia.”