Chapter 16

Destined

After dinner Mark and Jinyoung found a stolen moment alone. Jinyoung led him to another part of the garden that was surrounded by red and white roses, “I can’t believe we’re getting married soon.” Mark smiled as he wrapped his arms around Jinyoung.

“I can.” Jinyoung said looked at him, “This whole time I prayed to the gods that it would you that my parents would say I would marry. But I think we were destined for each other.”

Mark tilted his head, “How so?”

“My father revealed to me that we were born months apart and being that our families were friends with each other, they said it they were discussing marriage between us.” 

Mark gasped, “So even as babies-”

“We were fated to marry.” Jinyoung grinned

“I love you, Jinyoung.” Mark smiled

“And I love you Mark.” The two leaned into each others space and kissed with a passion and intensity they have never felt before, both feeling like they were floating on clouds and imagining a future together with little looking like the other. It was their perfect moment.

~~~~~~~~~

The kingdoms of Cordinia and Caledonia was poised to celebrate the Festival like never before. The return of the prince of Cordinia and the new victory over Ixania had spurred the people on to increased zeal, and the festivities of the first two days of the Festival had been larger and noisier than anyone could ever remember. 

Mark had even managed to get his new friends into the kitchen to try their hands at pie baking for the contest. The cooks had looked on in dismay as BamBam, Jackson, and Youngjae got more flour on themselves than in the pies. When the final day of the Festival arrived, Mark was breathless with excitement and anticipation.

“How do I look?” Mark asked, smoothing down his pants. His suit was streaming in the national colors of Caledonia and Cordinia. He had asked to be allowed to spend the last few days in his room with BamBam prior to the wedding, and his friend had already picked up half a dozen things that Mark’s nervous pacing had caused him to knock over that morning. 

“Beautiful,” BamBam said. 

“Like a prince,” Youngjae confirmed. 

“Like the most beautiful groom the two kingdoms has ever seen,” Jackson smiled. Mark hugged his friends. In an hour he and Jinyoung would be married. It still took his breath away to think about it. There was a knock on the door, and Jackson went to get it. “You have visitors, Mark.” 

Mark turned to see his future-in-laws elegantly dressed walk into the room. He was so thankful to them as afterwards they had sent his parents and brother. He was a little worried that their parents might not see eye to eye but to his surprise not only had they bonded quickly they also enjoyed planning every moment of the wedding together. 

However the moment he truly he had been waiting for is BamBam and Yugyeom reuniting. Just as they expected Yugyeom was surprised to see that BamBam was actual a prince and a little intimidated by that fact. But after the two privately talked the two came out hand and hand. The only thing they feared was how BamBam’s parents would take to the fact that their son would want to be with a farm boy but Mark, Jackson and Youngjae and promised they would do whatever it takes to make sure the two would stay together.

Mark’s parents had been invited to stay in the castle of Caledonia and he even wanted them to live in the castle of Cordinia where he and Jinyoung would rule together. However they weren’t entirely sure they were ready to give up farming. Not wanting to give up Mark had persuaded them to stay for a couple of weeks after he married Jinyoung. It would give his parents time to relax in probably the first time in many years while a close friend would run the farm in their absence. 

Mark embraced them all and then offered them seats. “Mark, have you seen the portrait of your father?” King Wooyoung asked. Mark nodded. The portraits of the Cordinia royal family had been hanging in a hallway Mark had yet to enter through and Mark had been delighted to see that there was a family resemblance. 

“The same bright smile and eyes. That night you arrived here, I felt you had to be related,” King Nickhun said, with a smile. 

“I’m still surprised you let me in the door, as wretched as I looked that day,” Mark said cringing at the memory. 

“Yes but if I remember correctly, you looked gorgeous by dinner. I knew that suit would look perfect on you.” King Wooyoung grinned

Mark gasped, “So, it was you who sent the clothes?”

“Yes I was hoping that you truly were the son of the Tuans. However that night you told us about the storm clouds, we knew you were truly their son.” King Wooyoung smiled

Mark tilted his head, “What do you mean?”

“Your mother and father also had the gift of sight. Your mother was able to tell the future through visions while your father was able to know the future through the weather.” King Nickhun explained

The whole room erupted in that moment, “So what happened that night?” Youngjae said accidentally as he meant to only think it.

“Well it was pattern throughout your mother’s pregnancy that she was unable to clearly see the future and your father sadly had been stressed from the war and falling ill. Mostly likely his gift had been affected by that as well.” King Nickhun sighed sadly

“The King of Ixania must’ve known then which is why he had able to sneak into their kingdom without anyone knowing.” Jackson mumbled

“We assumed the same thing.” King Wooyoung said

“So I inherited my father’s gift?” Mark wondered

“Your sisters didn’t receive their gift of visions until they were in their twenties. It’s possible you could have both of your parents gift but you haven’t been able to exercise it to that extent.” King Wooyoung suggested.

Mark gasped, “I never thought I had a gift like that. I just assumed it was some weird magic that caused the storms to form whenever something happened. Although I should’ve noticed it only happened when it’s about me.” Mark shaked his head at his lack of observation.

The Kings laughed, “Not your fault, you were never told about your gift.” King Nickhun replied

“And if you had never had met Jinyoung you wouldn’t have known.” BamBam said.

Mark nodded, he was right. His entire life had been changed the night Jaebum knocked on his door and brought in Jinyoung, “I have so much to thank you and your son both for.” 

The Kings waved his comment, “If anything we have to thank you. If you hadn’t came here our son would be miserable to know he would be marrying Baekhyun.” King Nickhun smirked.

Mark gigged, that part was true. “Anyways we came here because I did bring you something for good luck today. You can put it in your shoe or your suit,” King Wooyoung said. 

“What is it?” Mark wondered

“Hold out your hand.” King Wooyoung said and Mark did as instructed, and into it the king dropped a single black pea. Mark stared at its round black shape before looking up at the other man. “It’s from underneath your mattresses. That pea helped bring you to this day. And now I think you’ve had quite enough of nightmares, so never fall asleep near it again.” 

Mark started laughing. Out in the hall he heard a familiar voice and smiled. “What’s so funny in there?” he heard Yugyeom ask. 

“Nothing!” Mark called back. 

“May we come in?” Jinyoung asked, trying to sound innocent. 

“No don’t you know it’s bad luck for the grooms to see each other,” Mark grinned, walking close to the door. He touched it and he could swear he could feel his presence on the other side. 

“This door can’t keep us apart forever,” Jinyoung joked. 

Mark smiled and looked at the pea. “Nothing can keep us apart ever again.” 

“You know, in less than an hour everything changes,” Jinyoung said. 

“I know,” Mark whispered back, glancing out the window at the gathering storm clouds and smiled, “and it’s only the beginning.”