Chapter 2

Secret Room

                She stepped towards her house and her steps stopped as she saw another flashback. Yuchan used to walk her home. She remembered they shared their last kiss in front of her house a few days ago.

                After locked the door, Yeonwoo sauntered into her house and flopped down into her bed. She pulled the bear plushie near her into her embrace.

-Flashback-

“Woah!!” Yeonwoo squealed as Yuchan managed to grab a toy from the crane game. He smirked proudly and bent down to take the doll. “I know I’m awesome”

“Yah” she snickered and rolled her eyes. “This guy is really something”

“Here” he held out the doll to her. “I can’t have this. It looks weird if I keep it”

“Really?” Yeonwoo was excited. “You’re giving me this cute plushie?”

                He nodded. “Thank you” she took it. “But I like this more” she hugged Yuchan. He tried to hold himself from smiling broadly. “Yeonwoo-yah, I know that”

                She broke the hug and smiled at him. He chuckled. “Aigo why are you making me feel so shy?” he took her hand once again and they walked away.

-End of flashback-

                Yeonwoo buried her face into the plushie as she sobbed more. It hurt her so much. That the person who always by her side left her forever. “I hate you, Yuchan. Why do you have to leave me alone? Why?”

* * *

                Sehyoon stopped in front of a house. He sighed and rang the bell. He waited. A few seconds passed. Then minutes. “She’s out already? But it’s still early morning” He heard a sound. He narrowed his eyes and brought his ears closer to the door. “Kettle?” He tried to turn the knob. The door was unlocked.

                Sehyoon rushed into the house and stopped. Yeonwoo looked up from spacing out and met eyes with Sehyoon. “Hi, good morning”

                He sighed and went to the stove behind her. “It won’t be a ‘good’ morning if your house caught on fire” Sehyoon turned off the stove. He turned to her and realized her sad face. He gasped and hugged her. “I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to talk about that”

“Nah it’s okay” she mustered a smile and broke the hug. She went to the table where she packed food. Sehyoon sighed and turned to the boiling stew on the stove. “What you cooking today?” he tasted some of it and his face furrowed. “Yah”

“What’s wrong?” she rushed to him. “Come taste this” he took another spoon of the stew and fed it to her. Her face furrowed. “What the-“ she took the container with white crystals. She uncapped it and tasted it. Her face once again furrowed.

“Did you just mistake salt with sugar, Yeonwoo?” he asked. She chuckled “I guess so”

                Sehyoon smirked. “Don’t worry. Let’s fix this then bring these to Donghun and Junhee” She nodded in reply and began to prepare the ingredient once again. She cut some onions. Sehyoon suddenly took the knife from her grip and helped her. “Yeonwoo-yah” he glanced at her. “If you can’t do this alone, call me. You always have your friend with you. Don’t let yourself suffer alone”

                She nodded but blinked back tears.

“You okay, Yeonwoo?” “Nae” she wiped her tears away. “It’s the onion” she walked to the table again.

“It’s okay if you want to cry. You have us here to comfort you”

                She smiled alone. “Thank you, Sehyoon”

 

 

“Hey” he glanced at her. “Talk about Yuchan”

                Yeonwoo lifted her gaze to fix at him.

“Well, did his mom contact you?” “Yes she had. I met her on the day of incident” “And you’re okay with them taking him far from us?”

                Yeonwoo sighed and continued to busy herself. “It’s her mother’s choice. I thought it’s best for us to accept that they want to keep him near his other family members there. All this years, we are the one who keep him here in this city. Now, let him reunite with his family members”

“But he’s our best buddy” Sehyoon sighed. “And he’s your boyfriend”

“It’s a lie if I say I’m not sad with his family decision. But I just want the best for him. Even on his afterlife” Yeonwoo bit her lips, holding back her tears. “And I hope you can accept his mother’s decision too”

“I’ll try” Sehyoon smiled.

* * *

“Junhee-ah~!” Yeonwoo came into the room with a bright smile. Junhee looked up from staring out the window. He smiled. “Hi”

“Let’s eat” Sehyoon put the packed food on Donghun’s table. “What take you too long? I thought you went to her home to give her a hand” Donghun looked at Sehyoon. “Of course I did” Sehyoon narrowed his eyes to him. “You think I wouldn’t help my friend? There was an accident so we made the stew again”

“Accident?” Donghun turned to Yeonwoo. She smiled sheepishly. “I mistook salt and sugar. It’s a relieve that Sehyoon came and tasted the stew or you guys have to eat a super sweet stew” she chuckled.

                Junhee chuckled and helped Yeonwoo to set up the table. “Yeonwoo-yah, you’re funny. I didn’t eat the hospital food just to have your cooking”

“That’s so sweet of you, Junhee-ah” she smiled.

                Donghun reached out to his phone. “Damn it. The battery’s dead. Sehyoon-ah, can you charge this for me”

                Sehyoon took the phone and plugged the charger to the power supply. “Hey, you have missed calls from an unknown number”

“Really?” Donghun held out his hand to receive the phone. He scrolled through the call log. “I wonder whose phone is this. Maybe it’s something important”

“Here let me try and call it” she held out her hand to him. Yeonwoo tried to call the number.

“Yes, hello—Oh, I see. His phone can’t be use for the time being—Yes” Yeonwoo paused. “I’m Yuchan’s girlfriend”

                All of them stopped eating and looked at her.

“No it’s okay” she mustered a smile. “Rent a room? I never know about it---Can you text me the location?---Alright thank you very much, sir” she ended the call.

“What’s wrong? Who’s that?” Donghun asked. “A landlord” she answered. “But I didn’t rent any house” “Not you. But Yuchan”

“Yuchan rent a house?” Junhee asked again. “Yes” she replied. “I have no idea about it too”

“But what’s with renting a house?” Sehyoon asked. “We lived together right?”

“Tell me about it” Donghun continued to eat. “Maybe he need some space to keep his stuff away from the house. Or us” he whispered the last two words.

                Yeonwoo stared at Donghun as he said it. *What does that mean?*

“Did the landlord called to pay the rent?” Junhee asked. “No” she took a sit. “He said Yuchan had paid the rent but he left his stuff there. Since the news talk about the house incident, he knew Yuchan is unable to come and pick up his stuff. So he asked someone to come pick them up. I’ll go later today”

“Let me come with you” Sehyoon volunteered. “Nah it’s okay. I can just go by myself” she smiled.

“Or is it that you want to distract your mind?” Donghun asked. Yeonwoo smirked. “Part of it, yes. I think I need to spend some time alone. With him. Even the traces he left behind”

                Junhee patted her back.

“I think you need it more than us” Donghun smiled to her.

                Yeonwoo mustered a smile though they could see her tears that started to form in her eyes.