Chapter 6

Secret Room

          Yeonwoo walked down the street that night as she headed home from part time work. She let out a sigh as she let herself sink in the seat of the bus stop. She took out earphone and Yuchan’s mp3 from her pocket. She stared at the mp3 for a while. “It had been a month since Yuchan’s fake death. I know he’s alive. But where is he?”

*I tried called his mother million time and told her that I want to visit him but she avoided to let me come to see him. Does she know about his son fake dead that she doesn’t want me to come and pay him a ‘visit’? She knew he’s alive?*

“That can be true, right?”

          She played the playlist. A smile formed on his lips as she reminiscence her memory with Yuchan. “I miss you so much, Yuchan. Can I just see you? As much as I hate your choice of leaving us and hating your friends and attempted to kill everyone in the fire, I still can’t stop loving you”

          The music suddenly stopped. She checked the display of the mp3. “Oh I played the whole playlist already” she continued to press the button. Her finger stopped as she came across a folder named ‘Mine’. *What folder is this?*

                Once she opened the folder, different tracks were displayed with numbers. *Are these dates?* She played the first track.

                Someone cleared his throat. Her eyes widened. “It’s Yuchan’s voice”

“Aah, a aah, testing” once again he cleared his throat. “Aish, this is awkward” he chuckled.

                Yeonwoo smiled alone at his shy act. The recording ended and proceeded to the next track. “Since I said I want to try out to be a midnight radio DJ, I should at least try on my own. Though this is really embarrassing” he chuckled again and cleared his throat again. *Unfortunately, Yuchan, I’m listening to this recording right now* Yeonwoo smiled to herself.

“Don’t you just enjoy being free? Being able to do everything you want? The feeling of wanting to do anything we want, without anyone telling us what to do. Free to run around, free to eat as much as we want, free to scream our heart out, free to love someone. Imagine if we all can behave this free? Just freely be ourselves without having to worry about anything? Like an innocence pure child… Now, let’s begin Yuchan’s Moonlight Sonata”     

                Yeonwoo continued to listen to soothing songs played. A smile formed on her lips as she looked up to the dark night sky and the full moon. *He sure know to pick good song that suit the situation*

                She played the next recording. Yuchan’s voice once again can be heard.

“We all have that one friend inside us that we never know since when had that person been there. Maybe since the very first time we open our eyes into this world. Some might though this ‘person’ is their best friend, accompany them all the time. But for me, ‘this person’, I thought of him as someone sinister and dangerous. The alternate universe of me. Whenever I tried to be good, this ‘person’ had been shouting inside of me to be cruel to everyone around me. And I could hear ‘his’ shout louder and stronger. That I’m scared one day I might listen to ‘him’”

                She gulped. She remembered reading the exact same words in his journal.

“Everyone, you’re listening to Yuchan’s Moonlight Sonata”

                She remembered flipping to the next page of the journal that was the last page. It was written with large font…

“In the end, I listen to ‘him’…”

                Yeonwoo stopped the audio. “I can’t stop him… What should I do now?”

 

 

"Yeonwoo-yah"

Yeonwoo jolted as a hand touched her shoulder, taking her back to reality. Her eyes went to the person.

"Mind if I join you?" The person sat beside her. "Sehyoon" she called. Her smiled at her. "Have you waited long for the bus?" "Well yea. Kind of"

His eyes went to the music player in her grip. "Listening to Yuchan's playlist?"
"Yea"

His smiles sadden. "I'm sure you miss him a lot" "All of us miss him, right?" "Of course. But I mean, you are someone special to him. I remember him ask about marriage to Donghun. I bet Yuchan want to propose to you" he sighed. "If only things didn’t happen the way they had"
 

"Even if he proposes to me" she turned to him. "You know I'll never say yes, right?"
"Yeonwoo-yah, I told you not to think about that"

She chuckled. "How can I not think about that when that illness had been living in me all these years? I'm going to die anyway"

He sighed. "Don’t you want to tell the others? Why am I the only one who know about this?"


"Well, you’re the one who accidentally saw my pills. And even if they ever know, will anything change, Sehyoon? No. I'll still have this illness living in me"

They were silent. "You're right. I should consider telling them. So they can be prepared if the time comes" she smiled.


"Yeonwoo. Everything will be okay if you get treatment" Sehyoon sighed.


"Don’t worry I do go to get treatment. Anyway" she looked down to the paper bag of a gift shop in his grip. "Buying some gift for someone?"
 

"Yea" he spread open the bag strap to reveal a stuffed toy in it. "For myself"


"A doll?" "Yea. My frog dolls all got burn in the fire. So I want to collect them again. And since I came across this cute one, I brought it"
 

*Frog* Yeonwoo recalled reading the nickname Yuchan used in his journal. And one of them is Frog.
 

"But why frog?" She spoke out her mind. "I don’t know why I love this green creature. Maybe I thought them as my spirit animal" Sehyoon laughed. "I'm weird"


"Nah. They're quite cute" she took out the doll and caressed it. "Seriously, I should consider to buy for myself later"


"If you want to shop for some, just ring me. I can go with you" "Sure"

 

*             *             *

                Yeonwoo entered her room. She threw her body on the bed. She lifted her head and saw Yuchan’s journal near her. She reached for it and fixed her position. “I read this once again” she sighed and flipped through the pages. “When will he get out from hiding and reveal the truth?”

                She stopped as she came across a quite thick piece of page. “What’s this?” she furrowed her eyebrows, confused. She quickly sat up. “I never notice this page before. Why would they have pasted together?” she tried to slowly and carefully separate the papers.

                The paper ripped. Yeonwoo gasped. Her eyes glued to the three pages that was before glued together. She had ripped the pages into half with one blow. She chuckled. “What to do?” She laughed at her foolish self.

“Hey, what’s this?” her finger ran on the words scribble on one of the pages. “Looks like he purposely sticks these pages together. But why? What does he want to hide from himself?”

                There was a three short line written on it with each line numbered. She gasped as she read the words.

  1. Frog
  2. Chip
  3. Snored

“Don’t tell me this is the sequence…” she lifted her head to the board that she pasted information about Yuchan’s plan. Her eyes landed on Sehyoon’s corner. “He’s the first, then Junhee, then Donghun”

“I need to save them” 

 

                Yeonwoo looked up after send the text messages. *I hope he reply me fast* She looked around the not so crowded cafe. “Where is this guy?”

“Waiting for someone?”

                She turned to the voice. “Donghun. Hi”

“Hi” he sat across her. “I didn’t disturb you on a blind date, am I?”

“What the” she laughed. “Nah. I’m for waiting Sehyoon”

“Going on a date with him?” he shook his head. “Really you should look for another man, Yeonwoo”

                She smirked as she stared at him. *He’s the last target. Will these guys believe me if I tell them?*