The Cereal

My secret: shorts (The Promise I Made That Day)

Momo opened a new box of Honey Cheerios and a carton of milk. She then grabbed a bowl and a spoon, making sure to prepare everything needed on the table. She gave thanks, and poured cereal on the bowl then the milk comes after. She opened her phone, and browsed through twicetagram―never forgetting to scoop a spoonful of cereal to eat. She was scrolling down, till she stumbled upon a post that piqued her interest.

'When eating cereal, do you pour the cereal on the bowl first before the milk? Or the milk before the cereal?'

She stopped eating for a while, and contemplated. She has always poured cereal first before the milk ever since a young age. It never crossed her mind that there are people who pour milk before the cereal.

"But why? Don't you want to wet the cereal with milk? Not cereal the milk..." She thought to herself. Upon checking the time, she noticed that it was already 6:32 and if she didn't hurry up, she will get late by a long shot. Momo then chugged down the cereal and milk before placing it down, and rushing off. "Bye Mom! Bye Dad! See you later!" she screamed on her way out.

By the time she reached the school gate, it was already 6:57 and in 3 minutes, she would have gotten scolded. She wiped the sweat on her face and caught her breath before walking up towards her building. While walking, she noticed her friend Mina from afar talking to the small girl with a mole by her lower lip. She then paced herself towards Mina.

"MI-NA-RI-CHAN~" she shouted, and the two girls watched as Momo ran towards them.

"Momoring, ohayou" Mina said, with a slight bow.

"Morning Momo" Chaeyoung said.

"Ohayou~" Momo replied, after which they all walked towards their own classrooms.

 

( * )

 

Lunch break started, and everyone has gathered on the table except for Dahyun. Everyone was already eating their share of food, when Sana asked Chaeyoung where Dahyun went. It's been a while since she has seen her best friend interested in a person, so she didn't bother the girl. Knowing Sana, when she sets her eyes on something, she will find a way to go for it. Once Sana knew Dahyun's location, she excused herself after finishing her bento. "I feel sorry for Dahyun" Momo thought to herself, as she watched the girl frolic on her way.

Momo was eating Jokbal when she suddenly remembered about the post earlier this morning. After grabbing another bite, she raised her hand asking for the whole group's attention.

"Oh yeah! Before I forget, how do you guys eat your cereal? Errrr, do you put the cereal first then the milk, or the milk first before the cereal?" Momo asked, making the whole group quiet and wonder. Nayeon and Jeongyeon looked at each other and laughed, the others followed.

"What kind of question is that?" Nayeon said while laughing. "Did you wake up hitting your head or something?" she added.

"Hey! I'm serious you know?!" Momo retaliated.

"Pabo~" Nayeon said while laughing. "You obviously pour milk first, before the cereal" she stated, while wiping a tear that escaped the corner of her eye due to laughter. Jeongyeon, Tzuyu and Momo started to look at Nayeon with indifference.

"Really? I always put cereal first before the milk" Jeongyeon stated.

"Yeah! Wouldn't you want to wet the cereal thoroughly so that in every bite, there is sure to have milk?" Tzuyu asked, making the few girls nod their head.

This time, Nayeon, Chaeyoung and Mina looked at the girl with indifference.

"Really? I think putting Milk first is better since you can emerge the part you want wet, and doing so will make it so that the cereal won't easily sog" Chaeyoung stated.

"I'm not really a big dan cereal, so doing so makes it easier to count my cereal intake" Mina said softly.

"Yeah, but when you fill an inflatable pool... Don't you put the children first before the water, so that they can have fun with in the pool before it gets full?" Jeongyeon stated.

"If you will go with that logic, then if you go to a water park early in the morning, do you see the pool empty first? Do they wait for the pool to be filled with people before filling it up? I think not!" Nayeon stated.

The argument continued, while Momo continued to eat her jokbal. She was nodding her head, agreeing with Jeongyeon and Tzuyu while shaking her head when Nayeon and Chaeyoung argued. Mina and Jeongyeon was silently watching the four girls, they were smiling―probably laughing internally due to this silly fight. It lasted for a while till Jihyo raised her hand, then waved it infront of the four.

"Ok, that's enough for all of you" Jihyo stated, making everyone stop. Even now, the two Japanese girls are still surprised at how much authority the big eyed girl has with the four. "Does it really matter how you pour cereal?" she asked, making the girls question themselves before shaking their heads. "What matters is by the end of the day, you get to finish the breakfast meal" She ended, making everyone nod in agreement. The girl then looked at Momo and smiled. "Did that answer your question?" she asked.

Momo smiled, satisfied with the answer. She nodded and finished her meal. Once she was done, everyone agreed to leave with a good remark.

 

( * )

 

The day has finally ended for Momo, she felt like a doubt has left her mind. "I can finally rest easy" she told herself, and opened the door. "Mom, Dad, Tadaima!~" she said upon entering her door.

"Okaeri, Momo" her two parents greeted her.

"Momo, Okaeri~" Hana her sister greeted her as well.

"Onee-chan!~" She said hugging her sister.

"Come to the table, the food is ready" Ms. Hirai stated. "I made your favorite, Jokbal on sweet sauce" she stated, earning a gleeful moan from the Jokbal loving peach.

"How was your day, Mo?" the older sister asked.

Momo looked up thinking about todays events, and smiled. "It was a blast~" she ended.

Night time arrived, and Momo was on her sleep wear. She went to the restroom to brush her teeth. She squeezed the top half of the tube of the toothpaste, and placed some on her toothbrush. While brushing, she checked her twicetagram once more. While scrolling down, she saw a post that piqued her interest once again.

'When squeezing toothpaste, do you squeeze it starting from the base of the tube, or do you directly squeeze it at the body of the tube?'

"Ehhhhh?! There are people who squeeze it from the bottom of the tube?"

 

[End]

 

------

Author's note:

Hey guys! Thanks for reading these short stories~

Let me end this chapter by asking whether you pour cereal first before milk, or vice versa.

I didn't really plan to add an author's note here in my short stories but, I want to be as interactive with my readers as possible. It keeps me motivated seeing comments. Thanks again for reading!~