Chapter 18

Deviant

“Yongie?” Ten was standing next to his bed. Looking like a piece of art that has come to life, nothing new.

Surprisingly, he was smiling. The sight too overwhelming, yet peaceful to the eyes. It was the first time Taeyong saw him smiling naturally, and it felt bad.

He was undeserving of that smile, unworthy of his forgiveness and love.

Ten shuffled into bed with him, forcing his head to Ten’s chest. Circling Taeyong’s hips softly, he pressed a sweet kiss to his temple. The slow but steady heartbeat made Taeyong relax into his embrace.

Pump.... pump, pump... pump.

The beat was anormal for a human, but he was not this. A mutant, a race once hated by Taeyong. His own race.

He couldn’t feel guilt, not anymore. He felt peace and love. He was unworthy of these feelings yet he couldn’t bring himself to care.

He felt good in his embrace, a feeling that was foreign to him.

Ten placed a kiss once more, this time to the crown of his head.

He smiled, his eyes crinkling. He said softly, “Yongie, I forgi-“

 

Taeyong woke up. A dream. A cruel, unforgiving dream. He had the audacity to create a scenario where Ten had forgiven him in his sleep. He felt bitter tears prickle his eyes.

He had enjoyed the feeling, the feeling of his love. He disgusted himself. The struggle to keep his tears in making him shake. It was a vain struggle.

He wanted Ten to burst in the door, hug him, kiss his tears away. Tell him everything will be alright, tell him how much he loves him. What a selfish thought.

Pathetically, he hugged himself. Clutching his arms harshly, the pain unrivalled his broken heart. 

He heard someone knocking the front door. 
“Mr. Lee?” It was Seulgi’s voice, the intern. “These papers need your-“
“Trash em’.” He didn’t want to, nonetheless he had gotten up from bed, and said from the the kitchen. 
“But Mr. Lee, these are urg-“
“Are you ing deaf? I said trash em’!” He screamed broken.

He dropped to his knees, sobbing out of breath. Rocking back and forth. 

Oh how he wanted Ten to be right here.

 

 


He played with the dandelion Sicheng had given him, rolling the stem with his fingers. Said boy had been randomly sprouting life around him. Flowers grew on his body, and grass and saplings grew on the floor he stepped in.

Their room was a little garden now, and Ten made it his job to water every single plant. 

The legs of their beds were now braided with daisies, and their little table on the top of what looked like a flower bed.

‘Happiness.’ Sicheng had sheepishly said.

Apparently, when his emotions are too overwhelming, he randomly sprouts life around him.

Roses filled with thorns, when he’s angry.
Flowers that withered as soon as they came to life, when he’s sad.
And the prettiest flowers he could imagine, when he’s happy.

Happiness. 

The word seemed... unusual to Ten. He repeated the concept again and again in his mind, but he couldn’t quite grasp it. He couldn’t understand how a being could be happy without a catch. How a being could overcome or be willing to face difficulties, just for the means of happiness. 

The N Room was empty, only Ten and the fragrant smell of Sicheng’s creation. Yuta must’ve gone to the medic to treat his burns and his boyfriend must’ve accompanied him. Jeno and Jaemin could be anywhere. Being the teens they are, they liked sneaking off and have time to themselves, alone. 

Ever since he came back, they didn’t go through testing. Yuta seemed happier by the day, Jeno less tense, Sicheng more giggly... Jaemin was still himself.

The boy is strong. He knows misery and pain like the back of his hand. Has been judged his whole life, and as far as Ten knew, love and him aren’t familiar. 

For him to be so playful and positive despite all the going on since he was little, Ten really had to give him more credit.

He took the rose that was just besides their food dispenser, taking its stem and inhaling the delicious scent. He wishes Sicheng would sprout lavenders next time, he-

“There’s blood on your fingers.” Ten was so caught up in thought that he hadn’t even heard the door open... and Taeyong there. 

The bags under his eyes were blood red and plum purple, his cheekbones extremely prominent, he looked like he hadn’t been eating, and his eyes bloodshot red.

Ten’s heart dropped and shattered at the sight.

“You look... terrible.” Ten muttered in awe.
Taeyong scoffed. “Thanks. It’s nice to s-“
Ten extended his arms, “Come here.”

He was hesitant at first, he was unworthy of Ten’s comfort, yet being the selfish mutant he is, he jumped straight to his embrace. Burying his head in Ten’s shoulder, and curling up against his body. He sobbed quietly, choking in his own tears, and gasping for air. Ten just his back, shushing him, and telling him he’s here.

“I-I’ve tried, Tennie,” Taeyong chocked, “I tried so hard to accept... m-me, but I just can’t. I can’t after everything I’ve done. “
“Set us free.” A voice said. Ten looked up, to find Jaemin smiling softly, innocently, forgivingly. Jeno behind him. 

Jaemin walked slowly to them, careful as to not step on the flowers, then knelt down next to them.
“Freedom,” Jaemin whispered, “It’ll be easier on you if you let us go. You told Tennie-hyung that you’d set us free, yet here we are. Set us free.” 

Tears cascaded on Taeyong’s face, vision blurry, holding on to Ten for dear life, mind telling him that Jaemin was right.

Taeyong looked at Ten, he smiled at Taeyong. He looked at Jaemin, Jaemin smiled at 
him too. Jeno just gave one short nod.

He stood up suddenly, wiping his tears, sniffling. 
“Taeyong? Are you oka-“
“I have some paper work to do, Tennie.” He smiled.

All eyes in the room were glassy and filled with tears.

“Taeyong-ssi,” Jeno whispered, “I forgive you.” 

 

 

 

Three days after Taeyong’s talk with Jaemin, it was released: “All captive mutants in NCT shall be released. CEO and founder, Lee Taeyong, has not made any statements about it. He also has mysteriously disappeared ever since said choice was made. His co-founder, Kim Doyoung, refuses to make statements too. Scientist working there, Moon Taeil, decided to give the press this statement: ‘It was... awful,’ Moon said, ‘seeing these poor mutants cry everyday-.’”

John turned off the radio, throwing it against the wall, making bystanders eye him weirdly. 
Renjun chuckled.
“Piece of bull.” John hissed.
“They really are the Earth’s scum... aren’t they?”