Free Falling

Play Pretend

 

 


Free falling

 

 

 

Connections is one of the pillars of a drug cartel. The power you get with the help of other cartels, and business men can get you far, but most people aren’t aware as to what extent that web goes. I know major players in the industry of food, automobile, airlines, and so much more. Therefore it wasn’t really a surprise when I found out that the major Rosé was talking about was tangled in my web of connections. 

 

All throughout the ride and on the way to the office, I didn’t get the chance to see what lead had gotten her so excited and out of the gloomy thought of her ex. But again, as I said, there was really nothing to worry about since I’m acquainted with the major.

 

Rosé said her piece, showing the major her phone, in which I assume is a picture. She then went about on how we finally have a face to the name. However, given that I’m not yet in jail, the lead she got is bull. “Are you a hundred percent sure that your source is credible?”

 

“Yes, sir.”

 

“Device a plan and dig deeper before you make any move. You’ve got one chance on this.”

 

“I will, sir. We won’t let you down.” Knowing her, she should worry about letting herself down.

 

“You may go now.” Rosé and I were about to leave when he called, “Detective Brae, I have to discuss with you your last bust.”

 

“I’ll be at the car.” Once Rosé exited, the major, one of my dad’s associates for the longest time, stood up and walked towards me to give me a bear hug. 

 

“How long has it been, kid?” He said right when he let go. He had a very homey atmosphere around.

 

“10 years? I can’t really remember.”

 

“Wow. Last time I saw you, you were this—“ He levelled his hand right about his chest. “—tall! Now look at you.” He eyed me, as if he was the father I never had, it made me a little sappy knowing someone was proud of me. I mean, we weren’t so close, but he used to drop by and bring me gifts, taught me different kinds of bomb and how to operate them even. It was fun. “I read your file weeks ago. Got me curious why you decided to stand so close to danger.” He sat back on his chair.

 

I shrugged, leaning on the bookshelf. “I’ve been living close to danger the moment I was born.”

 

“True.” He smiled, slowly nodding. “Anyway, I don’t want to keep you here for too long. I just don’t want you to worry about your partner, she won’t be getting anywhere with her lead. Oh, and send your father my greetings, he never seems to answer his phone. Busy man as always.” More like, lazy man as always.

 

“Sure, I will.” I turned around, ready to go back to the precinct and pretend like we were about to catch ‘quince’.

 

“And kid?” I looked back, hands already on the doorknob. “Have fun.” 

 

It’s almost funny how a false lead got Rosé so hopeful. Maybe I did feel a bit of pity for her, but that’s the danger in having hopes and expectations, it brings you way up the sky only to let go when you’ve reached the top. 

 

“I can feel the adrenaline kicking in,” Rosé beamed as we were on out way back. “We might have to work longer now.”

 

“Apparently, sleep is not in a detective’s dictionary.”

 

Rosé drummed her fingers on the steering wheel and I wait for her to let out the thoughts she’s hesitating to share. Finally, she sighed and glanced over to me, “You know? It’s kinda convenient that my boyfriend and I broke up. I get to work as long as I can.”

 

“Good. Don’t dwell on it too much. It’s his loss anyway. You can find someone in a snap.”

 

I then heard a snap of fingers from my right, “Where is that someone?” Rosé pretended to look around.

 

“Right beside you, duh.” I snickered, earning a laugh from her.

 

Rosé shook her head, still a smile on her face. “You know? If you keep on doing that, you’d have everyone falling for you.”

 

“So you’re falling for me then? I appreciate the confession.”

 

“N-no.” Her cheeks are flushed. Good to know I have this effect on her. I mean, who doesn’t? 

 

“What’s the point of being dashing when you’re not falling for me?”

 

“You should really tone down whatever you’re doing.”

 

I shrugged. “You can’t tell me not to be less charming, it can’t be helped. No matter how hard I try to suppress my oozing charms, it just comes out every time. It’s getting kind of exhausting actually.”

 

“Yeah, must be really tiring to be you,” Rosé mumbled while I pretend not to catch on the sarcasm.

 

“Finally! Someone who understands what I’m going through!”

 

When we arrived at the precinct, everybody gathered around us ‘cause apparently, news gets around pretty quickly. 

 

Rosé blabbed around the lead she got and I just sat beside her in amusement. “He actually looked better than what I’ve been imagining for years,” she mentioned while she open her phone.

 

“You’ve been fantasizing about quince for years? Now, that’s not the Rosie I know,” I joked, which really wasn’t funny for her.

 

“Wha—“

 

B.I. snatched the phone out of the hands of the stuttering Rosé. “What an ugly dude. With a face like that, I bet he pays girls millions to get some, if he even gets some.”

 

Rosé looked at him weirdly and took back her phone. “He’s not—- Oh no. Not this guy. Here.” She swiped the picture and showed the new one to the officers. And I’m not exaggerating when I say my heart skipped a beat at the sight of the picture. It was Bogum.

 

“Wow. So good looking.” 

 

“Okay B.I., you didn’t have to out yourself like that,” Officer Tuan laughed, but all I can think of was how I’ll deal with this later on. Who even took the picture?

 

“What?! I’m not gay. You wanna have a one on one outside?”

 

“At least have the decency to do a ‘one on one’ in a bedroom.”

 

“That’s not what I meant!” B.I shouted, pulling me out of my trance.“Y/N! Back me up on this!”

 

I need to back Bogum up first.

 

Not wasting any time, nor breath, I went out of the precinct and into my car.

 

I dialled Bogum’s number, hooking it up to the car as I drove to buy coffee. “Hey.”

 

“Hi Y/N. Everything good there?”

 

“Kinda.” I sighed before continuing. It’s bad enough that I left him to handle the business. “Look, I think you should lay low for a couple of months. Stay there in the mansion and have the maids get what you have to get outside.”

 

“Even grocery shopping?” He loved going to the grocery himself, and to be the one to take that away, it just tears my hear apart, if I had one.

 

“Yeah. I’m sorry. The detective that I’m working with has a picture of you and she thinks you’re me. You know I won’t warn you if I think she’s just driving in circles.”

 

“Don’t apologize. I’ll be fine here. It’s not even possible to get bored here.” He chuckled, probably just wanting me not to feel bad.

 

“I’ll do my best to divert them.” Just then, my phone rang, Rosé’s name popping up. “Someone’s calling me, I need to hang up. Don’t hesitate to call me alright?”

 

“I won’t. Be careful there too.”

 

 

“Hey, where did you go?” Rosé’s voice sounded through the speakers.

 

“Grabbing a coffee. Need something?”

 

“Since you’re out, can you follow up on the case with the D.A? We need to know if it’s going to trial or straight to arraignment. We should process this faster so we can focus on Non Altum.” Even though I gave Jennie the files just this morning, knowing her, she’s probably already done with it.

 

“Okay, I will.”

 

As per request, I went over to Jennie’s Apartment, remembering that she didn’t go to work. I parked my car next to hers, although I noticed that one of the tires of her car was missing. This is starting to pique my interest. What could’ve happened to her yesterday?

 

“What are you doing here?” A grumpy D.A greeted me, obviously happy to see me.

 

I smirked, crossing my arms and leaning on the door frame. “Picking you up for our date in hell. Don’t tell me you forgot.” She grunted and was about to close the door. “I’m here for the results of the files.”

 

Jennie raised an eyebrow like she usually does. “Couldn’t you’ve just called me?”

 

“I was passing by anyway. Plus, I thought I’d spread kindness by giving you a free ride.”

 

She scoffed. “Do I look like I need a free ride?”

 

“No, but your car sure does.”

 

“I won’t even ask how you know.” She might’ve forgotten that I’m a detective, oh and that I have eyes.

 

Jennie opened the door wider, walking back inside. “Come in. Don’t make yourself at home.”

 

Noticing that she was on her pencil skirt and blouse, I asked, “You’re going to work at 4 in the afternoon?”

 

“Well, I have a chauffeur now, don’t I?” She went back to one of her rooms, most probably her bedroom. Or a walk in closet. It’s probably the latter. 

 

I took a sit on her couch, which was more stylish than comfortable, but it works. Her apartment is so neat and organized just like I imagined it to be. Jennie seems like the person who would freak out if you move a vase by a millimeter.

 

“!” The door slammed open and out came Jennie. Was I not supposed to sit on the couch?

 

“What happened? You need help?” I stood up, slightly panicking, but she just rolled her eyes and gave me her y stance. “I’m not a damsel in distress. I’m a strong independent woman capable of protecting herself. I don’t need you.”

 

Just then a moving thing—a squirrel, came out of her room, jumped to the nearby table and topples over a vase.

 

“AAAAAAHHHHH! GET IT OUT! GET IT OUT!” Jennie jumped to the couch, away from the squirrel, while I slowly backed my way towards the door.

 

“I think you can handle the squirrel. I’m sure you’re a strong independent woman capable of protecting yourself.”

 

A pillow made its way to my head, “I was talking about you idiot! Get out!”

 

“Okay.” I shrugged, turning around and slowly twisting the doorknob, she’s going to call me back any second now…

 

“No, no, no! Come back here you idiot!” She sure does love calling me idiot.

 

I turned to face her, and I know I looked smug right now. She hates it. “Why? Do you need me, princess?”

 

“No. The squirrel needs you. It needs its mom.”

 

“Bye.”

 

“I was just kidding! Just—-“ 

 

“Say it.” I’m so enjoying this. If I could just take a video using my eyes…

 

“Okay. Fine, whatever.” Jennie rolled her eyes, huffing. “Can you please get the squirrel out?”

 

“Now, was that so hard to say?”

 

Shakily, she glanced over at the squirrel, watching it in case it moves again. “Yeah, yeah, whatever. Just get it out of here.”

 

“Yeaaaahh…no. I’m scared of squirrels too so, ciao. See you tomorrow!” I quickly opened the door and got out. I’d kill 5 five men at a time but a squirrel? They’re viscous! I heard they can pull your hair so hard you’ll be bald.

 

“That’s perjury! Wait ‘till I convict you!” Jennie shouted from inside. She’s going to hold this over me for a long time. “What about my free ride?!”

 

“You’re an independent woman! Take a cab!” I shouted back before taking the elevator to go down. But as I reached my car and searched for my phone, crap. I left it inside her apartment. Damn it.

 

Could I survive without my phone? Probably. Buying a new phone is a piece of cake. Am I willing to transfer all my contacts, photos, download apps all over again? Definitely no. 

 

Okay, I’ll just go back.

 

Jennie was sitting outside her door with her arms crossed when I came back. It was almost funny, until I heard some rattling inside and remembered my phone was there. 

 

Noticing my presence, she shot a glare on my way, real cold Kim, real cold.

 

It took us half an hour arguing on who’s going to go in first. We tried rock paper scissors but we ended up just accusing each other of cheating. I mean, how do you even cheat in that game? All those aside, I was able to retrieve my phone and Jennie was able to get her shoes without triggering the squirrel. We just wish it’ll magically disappear later.

 

“Stop worrying. We did open the windows. It’ll be gone when you come home.” I reassured her once I pulled up in the precinct. “Or. It might call its friends and have a squirrel party at your apartment.”

 

I smirked, successfully instilling the scary image on her mind. It was really rattling her.

 

“I might just stay at the bar and not get any sleep ‘till morning.”

 

“You know, you can just stay at my place. But then again, we won’t be sleeping either, if you know what I mean.” I wiggled my eyebrows up and down, teasing her further.

 

“No. I don’t have a single clue,” Jennie mumbled when we entered the precinct. 

 

“Maybe if——“ My advances was cut off when I came face to face with a goddess.

 

She gave me an angelic smile and my mind just had to go blank for a second. “Hi, you must be detective brae. I’m Kim Jisoo, a journalist for Outsider magazine.”

 

Straight out of magazine.

 

Brings me back when we were 17. Kim Jisoo, why did you come back?