Jesus Christ

Play Pretend

 


Jesus Christ

 

 

 

“Jesus Christ Y/N!” 

 

My hands immediately let go of my tight hold on the other person’s neck at the recognition of the voice. I shuffled to my bedside table and flicked on the lamp. The light illuminated on Lisa, who was massaging her neck while coughing and glaring at me. I was sleeping and felt someone breathe near me, normally, I choked the person and pushed her to the wall. I couldn’t even see!

 

“It was your fault! Why would you even breathe on my ear while I’m sleeping? You do realize that’s really creepy, right?” I crossed my arms, starting to regret the day I gave her a key to my apartment.

 

“I was blowing your ear to wake you up! I thought it was funny. Well, at least until you almost killed me.” Lisa rolled her eyes, walking out of the room and I followed behind her.

 

We plopped down the couch and stared at the television, which wasn’t even open. “Why are you here at this,” I glanced at the clock, which showed 2 am, “—ungodly hour?”

 

“I can’t sleep.” Lisa grinned, standing up and heading to the kitchen. It is only now that I took notice of what she was wearing: A white long sleeved button-down shirt that went a couple inches above her knee.

 

It made me gulp, but quickly shook my head ridding the upcoming wave of inappropriate thoughts. “Oh so that’s good enough reason to deprive me of sleep as well?”

 

“It’s your best friend duty to go through the hard times with me.” She shrugged, pouring us red wine and walking back to the couch. For a moment, I thought of just going back to my room and sleep- I haven’t had a decent sleep these past few days- but then I remembered the countless of times that I would wake her up when I couldn’t sleep back when we were kids.

 

“Then I forfeit my place as your best friend,” I joked.

 

Lisa laughed, sitting down, but frowned for a second. “What’s thi—“ She pulled out a notebook, which she accidentally sat down on, “—why do you still have this?”

 

She passed me the red leather notebook which contained every transaction I made personally starting from my first year handling the cartel. It also had lists of debts, important events, etc. “It’s my life, doesn’t make sense to throw it away.”

 

“Really?” Lisa looked at me, a teasing smile on her face before she took a sip of her wine.

 

“Okay, sometimes it makes perfect sense.”

 

Laughs filled the living room, quickly dying down as it occurred. “But really, don’t you think it’s impractical and dangerous to keep it?”

 

“I like danger.”

 

Lisa shook her head. We both know it was true. I mean, I was basically born in a war zone. Okay, maybe that’s a bit exaggerated.

 

“Don’t have it laying around. Who knows? Your shadow might see it.”

 

“Is the ‘jisoo talk’ still not over?” I sighed, taking a sip of a much needed red wine.

 

“I just don’t trust her.”

 

“I get it, but…Don’t you think she deserves a second chance?”

 

“From you? A second chance?” Lisa scoffed. I understood though, ‘cause I never gave a second chance even when a rising drug lord offered me a private island in trade for forgiveness. I almost considered it though. “Is she really that special to you?”

 

I faced Lisa, grinning. “You’re special to me.”

 

“You say that now, but once she’s here you’d toss me aside without second thoughts.”

 

I laughed instead of denying it. I would’ve denied it if I didn’t remember ditching her for a date with Jisoo during our teens. 

 

And for that, I received a glare. 

 

For some reason, whether it was the wine or I was just really sleepy, my best friend looked hot. I could solely focus on her lips, made apparent by the bright red lipstick and wine. “You know? I wanna kiss you right now. Like, I really do. Your shirt isn’t even helping, even though I know you wore that purposely.”

 

“Then go ahead.” She smirked, challenging me.

 

“If I kiss you, I’ll be leading you on, which is the last thing I’d wanna do.” But still, I couldn’t take my eyes off of her.

 

“Which you’ve established from the very start.”

 

“But you’re still insisting.”

 

“I have nothing else to turn on to anyway.”

 

I raised an eyebrow at the statement. “So you’re doing this out of boredom.”

 

“Yes, but mostly because I like you, obviously.”

 

“Lis. We both know this is a dead end. Can’t we just go back to being friends?” Finally finding the power to redirect my thoughts, I distanced myself a little.

 

“We are friends.”

 

“You know what I mean.”

 

“Do I really have no chance at all?” She looked at me, her eyes glistening. At that moment, I wanted to force myself to be committed, to give her what she wanted, but I knew I couldn’t. I like Lisa, but I didn’t love her. At least not the way she wanted me to, so I shook my head to answer her question.

 

The silence that followed next made me anxious and guilty that I had to watch Lisa’s every move. She stared ahead for a minute, sighed, and downed the remains of her wine in one go. But that wasn’t what surprised me. I was suddenly pushed roughly down the couch, holding the weight on top of me. Lisa’s breath hits my lips as she whispered, “For closure.”

 

 

A glass of wine and a promise of closure got us to two rounds, now laying down side by side, catching our breaths. And I suddenly forgot why we haven’t done this before.

 

I felt Lisa face me but I stayed staring at the ceiling. “Now I know why your one night stands doesn’t want it to be a one night stand.” 

 

I smirked, even though the scarce light passing through the window isn’t enough to show my face. “You’re not so bad yourself Manoban.”

 

“Better than the D.A?”

 

My head couldn’t have turned to face her faster. “What?”

 

“What?” A teasing smile grazed her lips as she propped up her head on her elbow. My eyes were probably so wide right now.

 

“How did you know?”

 

“The between the two of you is too much. I’m surprised I’m the only one who noticed.” Even though I doubt that there was a ‘’, I did briefly, very briefly, wondered if other officers and detectives did notice and just didn’t say a word. Then again, it’s unlikely that they won’t rub it in our faces if they did find out, especially the officers.

 

“It was a one time thing.” The , I meant.

 

A one time thing.” Lisa nodded slowly, as if insinuating something, not that I could be bothered to find out.

 

Unlike my one night stands where I’d have to push the girls out, figuratively of course, the house before sunrise, Lisa and I drove to work together.

 

Once we stepped inside the precinct together though, the officers- B.I and Mark, obviously- whistled suggestively, sending us heart signs. I almost forgot that they didn’t know about the two us. 

 

Not that their opinions mattered anyway.

 

“Since when do you start going to church?” Lisa asked, sitting on my desk, holding up the statue the old lady gave me yesterday. I was breezing through the files.

 

“Since I was informed that I had a reservation in hell.”

 

“So, before you were even born? But I don’t recall you going to church when we were kids.”

 

I rolled up the folder, smacking it on her head. “An old lady gave it to me. I forgot to throw it out.” Religion was never my thing. Mom tried to convince me into walking to a church countless of times but I never came with her, I was sure I’d burn if I get too close.

 

“Detective Brae. Come here for a second.” Rosé’s voice rang throughout the floor, her head popping out from the briefing room.

 

“I haven’t done it for a couple of seconds only. But I mean, we can try?”

 

And it was my turn to get hit at the back of my head by a laughing Lisa. Rude. It was a great pun.

 

Rosé only looked at me with confusion before going back inside. I followed then. 

“Looking good Detective Park. Looking good.” I sat on one of the tables, not-so-subtly checking her out. Rosé gave me a disapproving look, whether it was because I was sitting improperly on the table or the compliment, I didn’t know. Maybe both?

 

“Since you’re out of this case I’ll—-“

 

“Hold on. What?” Since when was I out of the case? ing . Bogum. I totally forgot.

 

“You didn’t know?” Rosé raised an eyebrow, as confused as I am. “I’m quite sure the captain would’ve notified you. Have you check your email?”

 

I fished out my phone, finally tapping the gmail app. I didn’t know it was still used for communication when the captain is just a floor below us. True to Rosé’s thoughts, I did receive a mail from the captain.

 

Not waiting for me to say something, she went ahead and continued, “I just wanted to know if you had any other input to add? I’m cracking my brain here and there’s just so many holes that the D.A won’t give me a warrant.” This gave me a relief and maybe lessened the guilt of having neglected Bogum’s welfare for a day. I had to do something soon.

 

“Yea—No. I’m swamped with cases lately. Haven’t got the chance to think about it yet. I’ll tell you though, if I do come up with something.” Something to divert you, obviously.

 

“Thanks. I appreciate it.”

 

Wanting to make small talk, I asked, “How’s your ex doing?”

 

Rosé sighed, almost looking guilty, which I didn’t quite understand why. “I don’t know.”

 

“Wanna hook up again?” Couldn’t really help popping up the question when a pretty lady stands in front of me.

 

“What?!” Rosé’s eyes widened, the tips of her ears visibly gone red. How cute when she gets flustered.

 

“I know I said it was a one night stand but I can make an exception for you.” I shrugged, not really minding if she rejects it or not. The former is more likely.

 

She shook her head, perfect eyebrows furrowing in obvious distaste. “How do people even do one night stands? It doesn’t make any sense to me.” I would’ve pointed out that we did have a one night stand but I wasn’t that much of an . At least not to her.

 

“To someone who doesn’t fashion commitment, it makes perfect sense. I find someone, we , have the best s- usually I’m the one giving them by the way- we have fun, then bye bye. It saves you all the nagging and unnecessary jealousy, trust me.” It was obvious that she wasn’t comfortable with the bluntness.

 

“Best done with guys.” The D.A appeared by the door out of the blue.

 

“True.” I reached for a high five but apparently she’s too classy for a high five and left for the elevator.

 

I glanced back to Rosé, who was keeping herself busy with the files. As if. “Like I said earlier, since you don’t like one night stands, we can always do a two night stand. I can still remember what you like.”

 

She didn’t look up but the redness of her face gave me the reaction that I wanted. She was too easy to tease.

 

“I’m one call away Rosie~” I stood up, wiggling my eyebrows even through her face was far buried in the file.

 

“Y/N! Come here! Quick!” Lisa’s voice echoed from outside.

 

“Coming dear~” I snickered, seeing Lisa and some other officer by my desk. “Did you get it? Coming as in—-“ My joke was cut short by the unimpressed look Lisa was giving me. “What?” I thought it was funny. 

 

As I got closer to my desk, they were inspecting the Jesus statue. A police dog sat next to Lisa. “Your statue is a freaking . Jesus.” She chuckled while I take in what she said. “How can you make the holiest person, Jesus freaking christ, into a—- I’m amazed.” She threw her hands up, laughing.

 

“Don’t patronize me more than you already do.” I smiled, picking up the statue which was already in a clear bag for inspection.

 

“Let christ take you high.”

 

So that what she meant. Clever lady. We’d get along pretty well.

 

“Good morning Detective Brae.” A chirpy voice made me turn around.

 

“You’re late. You missed all the fun.” Jisoo stood in front of me, clutching her handbag. She looked too…perfect, like a porcelain doll. Her beauty never failed to amaze me.

 

A frown replaced Jisoo’s bright smile. “I’m five minutes early but—-what happened?”

 

“Well,” I narrated the events leading up to this moment while she took notes and asked questions from time to time.

 

Investigators will likely now run chemical tests to determine what percentage of the statue is as well as the drug's purity.

 

It was creative, I’d give her that. However, as a leader of a drug cartel myself, it’s too much work for too little profit. Efficiency and effectivity pulls up your business.

 

“How does that work?”

 

“The statue is just a way to get the drugs through inspection. They’ll dilute it in water, sift, and dry before being sold in small packages.”

 

“Wow. How did you know all of that?”

 

“I’m a narcotics detective.” And a drug lord.

 

Jisoo visibly grimaced. “Right. That was a stupid question. I swear I’m not stupid.” “Aren’t you going to inspect the crime scene?”

 

“No. It’s pretty straightforward. We have the evidence already. All there is left is to bring her in.”

 

An hour more of closely following me, Jisoo excused herself, having been called back to their company for unknown reasons. Although she did say she should be back by 6 pm. I wasn’t really busy anyways. But then again, I would’ve liked it better if she stayed. I could’ve talked to her.

 

“I just don’t get why she would dangle it in front of me. Does she take me for a fool?” I passed Lisa’s small rubber ball back to her.

 

“Maybe she’s just like you, in love with the adrenaline. Always looking for trouble.” She twirled her chair before throwing the ball for me to catch. “Plus, she’s old, nothing else to live for but the rush.”

 

“You two seem to have a deep understanding.”

 

“The two of us,” She pointed her finger from her to me, “do. She just happen to be like you.”

 

Perhaps at some aspect, we do. I was doing the same thing anyway- dangling the evidence, which is me, in front of these detectives, especially Rosé. I’ve always seen detectives as idiots, but Detective Park is proving to be an exception.

 

Not a second later, my phone glowed, showing a message from my personal investigator, confirming that indeed, Jisoo is suffering from amnesia. Pictures of medical documents 3 years ago revealed that she’d been a casualty of a car crash.

 

I spent rather too much time browsing through my cases that I oddly find interesting. Reading through my 3rd case, the image of bogum suddenly popped out, making me stand abruptly. I needed to go home and devise a plan to mislead Rosé. 

 

Without procrastinating further, I picked up my things and shoved it in my handbag, turning to leave.

 

“I thought you’d be here until 9 pm?” Jisoo appeared, eyebrows furrowed. She was standing too close to me that I could smell her perfume. How can she smell so good after working the whole day?

 

I mentally shook my head, feeling stupid for always being distracted by the girl. “I finished early.”

 

“Oh. Do you want to grab dinner with me then?” Jisoo smiled sheepishly, looking unsure. Was she asking me on a date?

 

Ha. I wish.

 

“I don’t know, I…” 

 

“I haven’t had lunch yet and I don’t really have anyone to eat with right now.” Her lips formed a pout and I knew I should’ve looked away right then and then, but of course, me being a er for her adorableness, just had to give in. It had always been my weakness and right now I wondered briefly if she really did have amnesia. 

 

I sighed. Devising a plan can probably wait for two more hours. After all, Rosé barely has any lead. “Well if you’re so desperate to take me out on a date, then sure.”

 

“Very kind of you to take pity on me.” Jisoo snickered, leading the way out.

 

I never wanted this.

 

Somehow, amidst our conversations, Jisoo ended up challenging me to eat street food. Me, being me, didn’t want to chicken out. I was the queen of challenges. I accept. I prove. I win. 

 

But still, I never wanted this.

 

“Stop staring at it!” Jisoo nudged me slightly, laughing before taking a bite of whatever she ordered for us. We stood by a stall that sells a variety of unhealthy looking things on a stick. There was a night market near the precinct that only now have I heard of.

 

I gulped, finally taking a bite and chewing it slowly and painfully. 

 

Well…It didn’t taste as bad as I expected.

 

“See? You like it.”

 

“I won’t go to that extent yet.” I then took a bite of the green pepper wrapped in something. Now this, I like.

 

We probably tried everything there is in the night market. The food was definitely better than I expected, but I guess, with the company of Jisoo, I really can have fun wherever. Hell, I wouldn’t get bored staring at her for an hour. 

 

Jisoo and I stopped by a café. She decided to wait outside by the bench while I ordered for us. Hot choco for her while coffee for me. At this point, caffeine doesn’t have much effect on me anymore.

 

Having our orders done, I went out, slowly walking towards her but stopping before I reached the bench. I could only see the right side of her face from where I was standing, but that didn’t mean I couldn’t see how she felt.

 

Right there, sitting alone in the bench, she looked like she was grieving as she stared at the sky. All I wanted is to hug her, tell her about me, about us. But I knew I couldn’t. I couldn’t be selfish and dump everything on her- how we loved each other and promised that we’d be side by side as we conquer the world or whatever, how we were going to run away from our old life and move far away ‘cause only needed each other, how she left me hanging, along with all the promises she made, how I wanted to die when disappeared without a single word.

 

“What?” Jisoo’s voice brought me back to the moment, noticing that I was staring at her.

 

I shook my head, slowly sitting down beside her.

 

“You’re beautiful…and sad.” I wasn’t thinking. But then again, if we tally all the times I acted without thinking when it comes to her, I’d be ashamed.

 

Instead of questioning it like I would’ve expected, Jisoo’s gaze lingered on me for a couple of seconds. “Just like your eyes.”

 

I don’t know if I believed her. Did my eyes really show sadness?

 

I didn’t want to go into that conversation. Remembering the drinks, I handed her the hot choco while I diverted the topic unto her. “Want to talk about whatever’s making you sad?”

 

Jisoo shrugged. “It’s just the occasional blues.”

 

“Fair enough.” It wasn’t my position to press further even if I knew all too well that there was something more to it.

 

We started walking towards her house after I insisted on doing so, realizing we left both of our cars at the precinct. 

“It’s difficult. I’m never too sure on who to trust. They can tell me anything and usually I’m just supposed to take their word for it ‘cause I can’t remember anything.” Jisoo told me about the accident that caused her to have amnesia. I was glad that she trusted me well enough to share a part of her ‘new self’ to me.

 

“You don’t trust your parents then?”

 

“If you put it that way, I seem like a terrible daughter.” She chuckled. “I’m just skeptical of anyone, really. They can feed you lies easily when you don’t have a way to confirm it. At least until I get my memories back.” Jisoo nudged me, grinning. “You’re a detective. I’m sure you understand that.”

 

Before I can say anything, her steps halted. “This is me.” 

 

I glanced at the two storey apartment behind her. “You’re near the precinct then.”

 

Jisoo furrowed her eyebrows, an amused smile covering it quickly. “Umm..No? It’s a thirty minute walk.”

 

“I thought it was only 5.” I shrugged. Time when being enjoyed always seem insufficient. “Thanks for the dinner.”

 

“It was my pleasure.”

 

“Well, see you tomorrow?”

 

“See you tomorrow.” Jisoo smiled, leaning for a hug, I leaned in as well, however we did in the same direction, making out lips brush lightly. We quickly pulled apart. She looked flustered and I knew I did as well. Wow. For someone who effortlessly make out with strangers I was being weird.

 

“Umm…” Jisoo laughed, scratching her nape.

 

“I didn’t—-“

 

“It’s fine. It’s fine.” She smiled, ending my lame attempt to defend myself, then making the move to properly give me a hug. “Stay safe,” She mumbled on my shoulder. I felt safe. Right here, right now.

 

I watched her get inside her apartment before turning to walk home. “.” That was ing embarrassing.


I'm starting to feel a bit 'meh' at this story. I'm probably not making any sense hahahah sorry for the long wait :(