Bored Detective

Play Pretend

Hi. It's been more than a year 😳


Bored Detective

 

 

I could never imagine myself as an old person- with gray hair, saggy s, wrinkles, and all that. Whenever someone asks me what I think I will be doing in five years, well, I tell them I'm probably lying six feet below the ground, decomposing. It's a fail proof tactic to make people uncomfortable. But really, I honestly believe that I won't last long.

 

Being old seems like a horrible situation to be. Old people were slow, wrinkly, almost deaf, just generally a burden. They were no fun to be around- except maybe Rosie's Grandmother. She's a delight to be with.

 

"It's like what the Japanese lady said: if it does not spark joy, get rid of it. So, yes, I got rid of my husband. Finally." Rosie's Grandmother, I decided to call her Granny, gave an exaggerated sigh of relief. She came by several minutes ago bearing cookies for Rosie and Me. Rosie was in the interrogation room so I offered to keep Granny company until then. 

 

"Just like that?"

 

"Yes, just like that." She nodded eagerly, pointing at me. "You should think about it too. Get rid of those who do not spark joy in your life."

 

"I'd have to get rid of myself then." I laughed at my own self-deprecating joke. But is it a joke though?

 

"Oh don't be like that. You're quite lovely."

 

"Not as lovely as you." I winked playfully, earning a loud laughter. I wish I had a Grandmother like Granny. Rosie is a lucky kid.

 

"Are you flirting with my Granny?" Speaking of the pink-haired beauty, Rosie stood crossing her arms with an eyebrow shot upwards.

 

"Oh don't be jealous, Roseanne."

 

"Granny!"

 

Granny clicked her tongue, shaking her head at her granddaughter. "So uptight."

 

"Right?"

 

Rolling her eyes, Rosie scoffed. "Oh my god!"

 

As she was already finished with the interrogation room, I said my goodbye to Granny while Rosie ushered her to the break room to probably have the cookie Granny brought.

 

The situation with Bogum hasn't died down, if only Detective Park has been even more motivated to track him down. I've assessed the situation and level of risk this would actually bring and although it is unlikely that they'll be able to locate Bogum in Scotland, it is still better to take precautions. By earning Rosie's trust, I'd be able to get more information about what she knows and would make it easier to lead her to the wrong road. It's a good leverage.

 

A crumpled paper suddenly hit the back of my head. "Do your job." Lisa reprimanded for the second time today. She's taking hers too seriously.

 

"I don't feel like it. This is actually more boring that I thought." Where the hell is action-packed fun I expected? Nowhere! If I knew that this is what detectives deal with, I would've just stayed at scotland, or perhaps go partying around the world. What's the use of all my money if I'm not gonna waste it?

 

"So since you're finally regretting this, you can go home now."

 

"Where is home?"

 

Lisa groaned, throwing her head back. "You're impossible. Just---At least pretend you're doing something."

 

"Nope. Can't be bothered." Currently, I had two on-going cases that I should be working on now. However, when I flipped through those two at home last night, I already knew what was going on the amateur minds of those little drug dealers and just like that, I knew I've solved the case. But was I going to act on it now? No, of course not. That would mean I'd have to actually go and catch them, bring them to the precinct, write the goddamn awful report, and then I'd be given another boring and predictable case. Perhaps I should ask the captain to reassign me to Detective Park's case.

 

Glancing at the breakroom, I noticed Jisoo laughing with Rosie and her Granny. It doesn't really come as a surprise as she can practically get along with anyone, except my family. And Lisa, too. Although they used to get along.

 

Flashbacks when we were still in our teenage years, sneaking out from the villa to go skinny dipping at the nearby falls made me feel nostalgic but at the same time hurt. She was the only one who I allowed to hurt me, and surprise, she did.

 

Jisoo was a servant's daughter. I was not familiar with her mother as she mostly stayed at the dirty kitchen. The only times I would see her was when she would drag Jisoo back to the servants quarters and reprimand her for playing with me. She did not like me at all. But Jisoo was Jisoo, and so regardless of her mother's insistent lectures she still went ahead and talked to me. It would've been extremely lonely without her at the villa.

 

When Lisa wasn't around, it was only me and Jisoo running around the garden, picking flowers, trying potentially poisonous berries in the forest. She would teach me very patiently how to take care of plants properly (I could never take care of them), tips on which mushrooms I could eat just because I loved them, and even teaching me how to properly eat instant noodles, which we had to sneak in as father wouldn't be pleased.

 

I miss it. I miss her. I miss us.

 

But then I remember once again how she left me. How we planned to run away and leave everything behind. I was already prepared after months of planning and deciding on the perfect day. My backpack was ready and I had stolen money from father, enough for rent and food. Jisoo and I agreed to meet at the alley beside the convenience store three streets away from the villa at 2 AM, but when I got there, Jisoo was nowhere to be seen. I waited for two hours but she didn't show up. When I got back at the villa, I checked up on her and she wasn't there, her Mother was crying, looking for her, holding the letter that Jisoo wrote about us running away together, the letter we wrote together. Her mother saw me, pulled my hair and kept shouting at me. Father saw and shot her. That was it.

 

I felt betrayed and hurt that she left me in that hell hole. She promised she'll get me out of there and I believed her. That was very foolish of me. Now as I watched her laughing in the breakroom, I wasn't angry as I thought I would be. I wasn't entirely sure how I felt, but I knew I wasn't angry. Not when she's smiling like that.

 

"Stop looking at her like that."

 

I turned towards Lisa, rolling my eyes, before deciding to go down and get coffee. Who knows I might go and do one of my cases if I felt like it.

 

The first floor wasn't as busy as yesterday when 8 fraternity members got into a fist fight with five others, therefore landing them in the precinct for public nuisance. Men and their violent tendencies.

 

Before I could even greet the officers, the door opened and in came the D.A. looking hot in her all white pantsuit. Leave it to Jennie Kim not to spill, even a mere drop, of anything on that suit. Her eyes snapped to me just as I admired her killer heels, looking quite annoyed. "Here." A paper bag was shoved to my chest and inside were the sneakers I lent her before.

 

"What? No thank you?"

 

Jennie raised an eyebrow, looking me up and down, successfully making me feel like an insignificant cockroach. "I should be suing you for physical assault."

 

"I'll buy you coffee then. As an apology." I grinned, waiting for her to say something, which she was about to do if the captain hadn't interrupt.

 

"Jennie! What a surprise." To be fair, he seemed genuinely pleased to see her rather than just surprised. "Do you mind coming here for a second?"

 

"Attorney Kim," She corrected, "and yes, as a matter of fact, I do mind." God, I love her sass. Jennie's presence screamed 'top priority' and she used that to her advantage quite often. All the time actually. And it worked. Nobody can seem to deny her. I mean, I don't blame anyone who'll scramble to their feet to please her, she's ing intimidating.

 

The captain sighed, looking almost desperate. "It won't take long. Please?" He is desperate.

 

Jennie walked inside his office, without failing to threaten him about wasting her time. Once the captain closed his door along with the blinds, I rushed towards the door and pressed my ear on it.

 

"Me too!" B.I whispered as he stood beside me, shamelessly trying to eavesdrop. The door wasn't thick enough to muffle their voices so it was quite easy to hear, especially when Jennie stood close to the door. Dangerously close.

 

Captain Stinson let out a very frustrated sigh. "Do I really have to say it out loud?"

 

"If you must." I could almost imagine her shrugging, unamused.

 

"I want you to go out with me for drinks tonight, if you're not busy. I like you."

 

"Well, good luck with that."

 

B.I stifled his laughter as I can't help but grin. I wasn't aware that the captain fancied the D.A.

 

"Is that all?"

 

The response took to long and before I knew it, the door opened, the abruptness of the act caused me to fall forward unto the D.A.'s arms. Holding unto her shoulders with our faces merely a couple of inches away from each other, I saw the change of her expression from surprised to irritated in a matter of seconds. I grinned, hoping she would think I was cute enough.

 

She didn't, of course.

 

With a groan and roll of eyes, Jennie let go of me, even pushing me aside and almost making me fall. Very rude.

 

"And to think you're a detective. Couldn't even eavesdrop properly." Jennie shook her head, walking out from the office. I followed suit.

 

"I am a detective, not a spy."

 

"Oh, I'd be very surprised if you were."

 

"What if I am? This just proves I'm a really good one since you won't even entertain the possibility."

 

"Sure. Mask your incompetence with mystery."

 

"Don't say I didn't warn you." I smirked, knowing she wouldn't take me seriously.

 

"Sure." For a moment, Jennie stood in front of the door with a raised eyebrow, simply staring at me. I couldn't read her expression and it was making me feel odd, whether in a good way or a bad way, I wasn't too sure, but I decided it was a good one.

 

Seconds of staring passed when I decided to break whatever trance she was in. "So does that mean no to coffee?"

 

And just like that, with a glare, Jennie Kim turned around, pushed the door open and left without much of a goodbye. Again, very rude.

 

"I'll say yes to coffee if you ask me," B.I chimed in from my right.

 

"Okay. One iced caramel macchiato with extra shot. Thanks." Placing the ten dollar bill on B.I's palm, I turned to go back upstairs, leaving him grumbling about how unfair it was.

 

Well, life is unfair, officer Kim. You either say 'it is what it is' or decide that it shouldn't be and strive to make it fair. I think I choose the former.


I hope you guys are doing well 🤍