The DA

Play Pretend

 


The DA

 

 

Growing up, I was not what society deemed normal. Yes, I went to school just like everybody else. Yes, I had friends, although very few. But at the age of 6, when normal kids would go to playgrounds, I was at a shooting range desperately trying to hit the middle of the cardboard. At age 7, when birthdays are filled with balloons and gifts from relatives, I received a ticking bomb as a gift from dad’s enemies. Now that I look back at that day, how I wish it blew the moment I opened it up. 
The point is, I lived a pretty complicated and dramatic life. So now that I’m slowly trying to get out of it, I’m expecting less drama or any weird encounters. And that’s what I got for the first three days that I started working as a detective. 

The weirdest thing that happened to me is probably when I came in the office Thursday morning. “Did my desk ran off the office last night or someone threw it away?”

Lisa passed by me, sipping her morning coffee. “I looked through the CCTV, it ran off in search of a new owner.”

I faked a laugh, a very dry one. “Very funny.” “But really, where is it?”

“Second floor has finally been renovated. Thank god we’re no longer squeezed altogether down here,” Lisa explained, entering what it seemed like an elevator door. How come I didn’t notice that? And plus, how did they renovate the second floor without me even hearing any drilling on the wall or something? Ninjas?

Still confused, I followed Lisa up. “You found anything relevant from the stakeout?”

I sighed, remembering how my ached from hours of sitting in the car. “If you consider Jake Rinn buying skittles, beer, and a detergent soap, then yes.”

She groaned. “We need a lead!”

We arrived at our new office. It was an open space with desks, probably the only difference is that all of us here are detectives. I settled on my new desk, conveniently placed in front of Lisa. 

“Did you receive the email from the captain?” Lisa asked.

“Yup. What’s it about?”

“I knew you wouldn’t read it.” 

I smiled, opening my computer to check the email. It wasn’t really that important. Just informing detectives that we’re now adopting another system in which detectives won’t have to work nine-hour shifts every day but by assignments. Thank god I won’t have to wake up early. But then again, I have like, two cases right now. 

Tapping my pen, I looked around, looking for something interesting to help me procrastinate. I smirked, acquiring my target. “Good morning Detective Park.” 

Rosé looked up from her computer, smiling back at me surprisingly. “Good morning Detective Brae.” I was going to say something but she immediately went back to whatever she was doing. 
“This is boring.”

A crumpled paper hit my forehead before landing on my table. I looked at the culprit who was smirking. I raised an eyebrow, opening the paper. 

Work, you little .
I crumpled the paper, throwing it back to Lisa on the face before scurrying out of the office.

xxx

Two days of stakeouts had gone by and I didn’t really get any possible leads. Jake Rinn hasn’t really done anything suspicious for the past two days. He doesn’t even go out that much except for when he goes to the convenient store to buy candies and sodas. So when Monday came, I decided to stay in the office and do some research on other possible leads. 

It was only lunchtime when I went out to grab some food. I was pretty much about to die out of boredom, but that was until I came back to the precinct from eating lunch.

I passed by the lobby, only to be stopped by a guy wearing a tacky sweater. “Hey, umm…is Rosé here? I mean, Detective Park? I’m her boyfriend and I just came by to eat lunch with her.”

I groaned internally, ready to show him my inner diva. “Do I look like an information des—- boyfriend?”

“Yeah. I’m sorry if I offended you or——“

I smiled at Rosé’s boyfriend. Rosé’s boyfriend…Why is this so funny? “It’s nothing. Let me show you to her desk.”

“Thank you so much.” He smiled while I lead him up to our office. Tacky grandpa sweater, eyeglasses, and disheveled hair, I didn’t know nerds still dress as nerds. Lame.

A second later, the elevator door opened, my eyes automatically darted on Rosé’s back. I smirked. “Hey Rosé, look who I bumped into at the lobby.” Slowly, she swiveled her chair, her unamused expression turned into shock for a quick moment before she smiled. 

His boyfriend went over to her and kissed her while I cringe. I bet he’s a sloppy kisser. 
The two of them went into the lunch room. 

Being the curious person that I am, I followed them subtly, taking a seat on the table behind them, pretending to eat someone’s leftovers on the fridge.
Her boyfriend had his back on me while Rosé sat across from him, that she was almost facing me.

They started eating, talking about how their day went. I almost gave up and walked out when I heard so-tacky-boyfriend say, “Honey, can you pass me the water?” He calls her honey!

I listened intently, waiting for Rosé to say the words. “Sure…Ho—-“ I snickered, I really couldn’t help it. Unfortunately, Rosé heard me. She sent me a glare, and instead of saying ‘honey’ she said, “Here.”

“What? No ‘honey’?” Her boyfriend asked, followed by a slight chuckle.

Rosé laughed awkwardly while I watch in amusement. Come on, say it. Say it! 
She didn’t say it.

“That’s cheating!” 

At the mention of the word ‘cheating’ Rosé choked on her food. I bit my lip, stopping myself from making any sound of laughter. Her boyfriend made her drink water, walking to her side to pat her back. 

The tacky boyfriend asking her if she was okay went on for minutes until he got a call from I-don’t-care-who and left, leaving me and Rosé in the lunchroom. I stared at his back as he exited the room.

“Your boyfriend is a nerd. You can do better.” I closed the lid of the food I stole from the fridge, putting it back.

“What’s wrong with nerds? And plus, love is not about looks, it’s about feelings,” Rosé proudly proclaimed. I smirked.

“I didn’t say your boyfriend is ugly.”

“It’s…You implied it!” She pointed accusingly.

“No, I didn’t.”

“Let’s just not talk about this. It’s unprofessional.”

I shrugged, walking out of the room. “Sure, whatever you say, honey.”

xxx

The night came fast as I read through past records and possible affiliations of the organized crime group. I was done shoving my things in my bag when my phone rang. It was a number I didn’t want to answer but I had to.

I took a deep breath, sliding the button to answer. “Hey, dad. How’s it goin—-“

“I’ve always known you’re a disappointment the moment you were born.” I guess he already found out about what I did.
I closed my eyes and took in another deep breath, letting his voice get canceled out by the reason I would always be a disappointment. 

Dad had cancer. However, just like how he dealt with most of his mortal enemies, he went on a battle with cancer, eventually, miraculously I may add, won that battle. The prize was additional years to live, but the price was infertility. Fortunately for him, the doctors were able to save one last . Unfortunately for him, his dream to have a son came crashing down when I was born. Ever since then, there was nothing I can do to make him proud of me, except maybe if I magically turned into a guy, which would never happen in a million years.

I wasn’t quite sure how long he was going on about my failures while I tuned him out. When I came back to my senses, he already hung up. I sighed, turning off my phone and was about to go out.

“Going home early?” Lisa asked. She just closed her computer and was getting ready to leave as well.

“I’ll hang out at the bar. Wanna come?”

“Get drunk and realize how miserable my life is?” Lisa pretended to think. “No thanks.”

I shrugged. “Your loss.”

“Don’t drink too much.”

“Define ‘too much’.” 

Lisa shook her head, smiling. “Have fun.”


Turns out I was capable of defining ‘Too much’ by myself. Too much is when you can’t walk in a straight line anymore. Too much is when you find whatever the bartender is saying funny, even if he’s just taking orders. Too much is when you would just sit on the stool, staring at nothing. Too much is when your surroundings are spinning already.

But the spinning suddenly came into a stop when I happen to glance at the door and saw someone I hooked up with a month ago in Scotland. What the hell is she doing here?

In panic, I turned to my right, where a girl in a tight pencil skirt and dark blue blouse sat, drinking something. I couldn’t care less. “Quick, pretend you know me.”

“No.” She didn’t even bother to glance at me.

“Just for 2 minutes.”

“No.”

I glanced to my left, hoping she left already but instead, we made eye contact. “ .”

Before I knew it, she was already standing beside my seat. “Your Highness, what are you doing here?” Oh. She’s the girl I told that I’m the Princess of France. 

I smiled widely, my drunkenness slowly seeping away. “Heyyyy…The princess of… Genovia invited me to a party tomorrow. I’m going back home right after.” 

The girl on my right snickered, and in turn, I elbowed her lightly. I did what I had to do.

“How about I come with you to the party? As your date.” The blonde girl placed her hand on my shoulder, slowly sliding down my arm. I can’t seem to remember her name…Was it Anna? No, it’s Andie. Actually, I think it’s—never mind. At least I know it starts with letter A.

“That would be lovely but, I already have a date.” I pursed my lips, pointing my thumb to the girl on my right. Thankfully she didn’t say anything.

The blonde girl pouted, but then leaned closer. “Well okay, but…We can spend the night together instead.” I need to get her out of here. 

I’d like to think a light bulb popped up above my head when an idea came up. I picked up my phone, pretending to talk to someone. “Right now? Sure, your majesty. Okay…Okay…I’ll be waiting down here.” I hang up, faced blondie with an apologetic smile. “Oh sorry, that’s the queen. She’s about to come down here in a minute—-“

“The queen is coming here? Oh my god!”

“Wait.” I faked a gasp. “Are you wearing a brown shirt? The queen hates brown shirts!”

The horror on her face was evident. She took a step back, looking at her shirt. “Oh! I’m so sorry! I wouldn’t want to offend the queen! I should go before she arrives!” Off she goes. Apparently, a person can be that dumb.

I heaved a sigh, having saved myself from what I perceive as potential danger. Rule #1: never hook up with someone twice, unless s/he’s super hot. 
“Princess of Genovia? Might as well told her you were princess Jasmine and you’re in search for a guy with a flying carpet.” The girl beside me took a sip of her drink. It was a red wine.

“You can’t judge me, it worked.”

“Sorry, your highness,” She commented, making sure to put emphasis on ‘your highness’. Now that I’m sober enough to observe the girl beside me, she’s extremely hot, and cold at the same time, if that’s possible. She had her dark brown hair tied in a bun, eyes ready to glare the hell out of anyone, and a body that screams perfection. And before I knew it, I was already saying, “My apartment’s two blocks from here. Wanna go check it out?”

She finally faced me, looking me dead straight into the eye, trying to intimidate me. “You’re inviting a complete stranger to your apartment? For all you know I can be a serial killer.”

I laughed. If there’s anyone here who’s going to be intimidated, it’s not me. “Nah, you don’t look like one.” I shrugged, before putting on a poker face. “Plus, what are the chances that we’re both serial killers?”

“I’d say about 60%.”

I rolled my eyes. “Come on. I know you need one night of fun.”

She raised an eyebrow, and I swear as weird as it may sound, it was y as hell. “What makes you think I’m that desperate?”

“First off, you’re highly irritable. You came in here with your hair up, eyebrows furrowed, and you kept on mumbling curse words. You even cursed at the bartender for asking if you wanted a tissue. Second, you answered a phone call earlier and kept on pressing on for details of your friend’s or whoever that is’ life. And third, I don’t need a third one ‘cause those two have already proved my point.” Wow. Did I really notice that while I’m drunk? 

She smirked. “You’re good, but not good enough for me.”

I finished my drink, turning my chair to face her completely. “Okay, if I can guess the color of your undergarments, you’ll come with me. How about that?”

“Be my guest.”

Let’s go with the typical hot girl lingerie. “Red bra with black .”

Her smirk even grew wider as she turned her chair to face me, slyly sliding her heels up and down my lower leg. “Both black.”

I groaned. “You’re lying.”

“What? Want me to prove it to you?” 

She wasn’t lying. 

We ended up in my apartment, 2:30 am, panting as we just finished. God, she was good. I’d place her in my top three. That’s how good she was.

I felt her head turn to face me. “So, should we talk about how our relationship will go from here? I know this sounds crazy but, I think I’m in love with you.”

I quickly shot up, sitting with both eyes wide open. “W-What?” . I need to think of something! I have cancer, I have only 1 week to live. No…How about—-

The rapid thinking of lies came to a stop when I heard laughter beside me. “I was just messing with you.” She laughed, shedding a couple of tears.

I laid back down. “You’re an . I was about to tell you I have cancer.” I chuckled, shaking my head.

“A one night stand is just a one night stand. Nothing more, nothing else. Plus, I knew you’re not one to be tied down in a relationship. Why else would I be here?”

“Takes one to know one.”

We both stared at the ceiling, sheets covering us. No cuddling, no cringey sweet conversations, none of all those crap. Just like how one night stands should be.

A second after, her phone rang. She answered it, quietly talking. All I really heard was “Are you kidding me?” and “ my life.”, before I received a phone call from Lisa. Don’t tell me she’s drunk and needs someone to pick her up, ‘cause I won’t.

I sighed, answering it. By the time, we finished talking, the girl had already worn her clothes and was quietly going out of my room. 

“Alright. I’ll be there.” I hang up, taking a deep breath, before standing up and getting dressed. Lisa called to tell me that Jake Rinn just committed suicide at his apartment. 

I walked to my car, driving to the location when I remembered the girl I just hooked up with. We came to my apartment using my car. Did she walk back to the bar?

I shrugged, taking it off my mind. That doesn’t really matter now.

Two police cars were already parked in front of his apartment when I arrived. I parked my car, showing my badge to the officers, and then going up to his apartment. Lisa was crouching down, inspecting the cadaver when I came in.

“Hung himself, there’s a suicide note,” Lisa mumbled, standing next to me.

I nodded slowly. “Definitely not a suicide.”

“Yup.” 

Two of the gang members committed suicide last year based on the case file. The first one swallowed pills and the second one hung himself. It was ruled as a suicide since there was nothing suspicious, evidence wise. Lisa knew that it wasn’t suicide.

“I’m having it undergo an autopsy but so far, it’s unlikely they’ll find anything unusual. I’ve checked everything. No forced entry or signs of a struggle. We better look for witnesses.” Lisa sighed, scanning the apartment full of pizza boxes, Chinese takeouts, candies, and soda bottles. He sure lived an unhealthy life.

Lisa turned to the door behind me, letting out another sigh. “Oh great, the DA is here.”

I turned around, yawning, only to stop midway when I came face to face with her. We stared at each other, needing a second to register the situation.

I just had a one night stand with the DA


 

Confession: I don't have a clear plan for this story atm. No main couple or even an ending yet. I figured I'll just go with the flow 🤷‍♀️

toffee_zeyeroppalionarciilusionzAmehana0WoorriSsica22xxVIPxxBLACKJACKxxCelestialLucifer, and sockmonster_006, thanks for the upvote! you guys are the best ♡♡♡