Attracted To The Light

Play Pretend

 


Attracted To The Light

 

 

Lisa was getting frustrated. An hour after she went into the interrogation room she came out slamming the door and sitting roughly on her chair, almost knocking out the things on her desk. I stood up from my desk to stand in front of her, placing my hands on her shoulders. “Inhale, exhale.” Lisa looked up, doing as I say with her eyes closed.

She sighed once she was calm enough. It’s never a good idea to make her mad. Never. “He knows we don’t have clear evidence yet. He keeps on insisting that it’s the other cashier guy in the day shift.”

“I’ll go down and check the surveillance footages. I honestly don’t know what’s taking so long.” I went to the officers and sat with the officer working on the task. “Are you serious?” I mumbled when I saw the date he was watching. I took the mouse, skipping the video to the day I did a stakeout. Perfect.

When I went up to our floor, Jennie already took over the interrogation room as the guy’s lawyer arrived. I fished out my phone, informing Jennie about the CCTV footage. 

As we were waiting for Jennie to come out, my phone rang, showing Bogum’s caller I.D.

“Hey,” I greeted. We haven’t spoken that much over the past week.

“Hey Y/N. How’s it going?”

“Great…Great. You?”

“Doing good...—-okay I’ll be honest, I'm doing terrible. Steve had been talking to the other leaders and he’s bribing them to vote to kick you out.” Bogum sighed, and I could tell that he’s been anxious. “I've tried talking to some of the members but I don't think it's working.”

“Okay, first, calm down." I left the cartel with him knowing that he really won’t be doing anything except reading contracts and ensure that the operations are going well. So now that Uncle Steve is acting out, I’d have to do something about it. That nerve of a guy though. It hadn’t even been a month and he’s already planning to take over. Son of a .

“I’ll find time to come and handle it, don't worry. Thank you for watching over the business for me.” 

Bogum sighed. “I’m sorry. You trusted me with it and I'm obviously failing.” 

I shook my head, even though I knew he couldn’t see me. “Bogum, it wasn’t your fault. Stop blaming yourself.” 

“It was obviously my fault and…sorry for bringing it up again. Just message me when you’ll come.” 

“I will. You better prepare all our video games ‘cause I’m gonna crush you.” I joked, in hopes to lighten up the mood.

He scoffed. “As if. You’re the worst gamer I’ve ever known. I shouldn’t even call you a gamer.”

“Whatever, you geek.” I laughed, hearing him shout from the other line. “I’ll see you soon. Bye.”

Seconds after I hung up, Jennie came out of the interrogation room. “Warehouse is in fourth street,” She announced, then directed her gaze to Lisa. “Write an affidavit and I’ll come back with a warrant.” So she was able to obtain information from the cashier guy. I’m guessing she offered him a plea deal. I must say, she’s really great at her job.

“Are you gonna take in the owner of the convenience store for questioning?” She asked me. 

“No. He wasn’t aware of what was happening in his store. He’s not involved. I’ve also talked to the cashier guy on the day shift, he’s clear.”

Jennie nodded, turning around, heading to the elevator. I frowned when I almost didn’t notice that she was limping a little. I remembered what I did to her last night and felt quite guilty. “You sprained your ankle and you’re still wearing high heels?”

She turned around, giving me her poker face. “Yeah, thanks to you.”

I remembered I had a pair of sneakers in my locker. “I’ll let you borrow my sneakers. I think it’ll only be a tad bit bigger than your size.” I squinted my eyes, estimating her shoe size.

“Do you expect me to meet the judge while wearing sneakers?” Jennie crossed her arms, flinching for a fraction of second. I’m guessing it was because of her shoulders, which I almost broke. Again, I feel guilty.

“Stay there.” I stood up, quickly walking to the locker room to get the sneakers. when I came back, Jennie was sitting on my chair, glaring at me. To be honest, I wasn’t actually expecting her to listen to me.

I placed down the sneakers, crouching as I unstrapped her heels. I feel like a peasant. But since it’s my fault, I’ll let it slide for now.

She was awfully quiet as I wore the shoes to her feet until she coughed. “Didn’t know you can afford Gucci.” She was lying. All my suits, heels, watches, and bags are branded. Seeing that she likes wearing branded clothes as well, I’m sure she noticed it at some point.

When I finished tying the shoelaces, I stood up, placing my hands on the armrest, leaning to her right ear. “It’s fake,” I whispered, smirking when I saw her roll her eyes. 

“Yeah, just like you.” Jennie then pushed me away from her, standing up from the chair and leaving, but not before taking the affidavit from Lisa.

I chuckled. She’s right, I am fake. Jennie just hit the bullseye, she just doesn’t know it yet.

xxx

It was thirty minutes later that she came back with the warrant. Lisa and I, along with three other officers went to the warehouse, expecting to catch them in action.

Once we reached the warehouse, we went into position: Lisa in front of the door, me on the right side, Officer Arredondo on the left, while the other two were behind Lisa. 

“We’re going in 1,2,3.” At the mention of 3, Lisa kicked the door open, like those badass police officers in the movies. 

“You should’ve let me do that!” I whined while we went inside, pointing the gun at the men and women inside the warehouse. 

Lisa chuckled, shaking her head. “You are all under arrest for drug distribution and manufacturing. Put your hands up!”

The workers’ eyes widened, raising their hands as instructed. My eyes flicked up the second floor, where a man in a suit ran out of a room. I ran towards the man, Lisa following behind, while the officers call for back up. 

The man was definitely not a runner. I was able to corner him at the back of the warehouse right before he can escape through the door. 

I pointed my gun at him, waiting for him to surrender, but instead, he smirked. “Quince.” I felt my eyebrow twitch. I don’t recall seeing him before. “What a surprise. Didn’t know you’re a detective now.” 

I shrugged. “Well, now you know.” Aiming the gun to his forehead, I pulled the trigger, leaving him lifeless on the concrete. “Oops.” I turned around, smiling at Lisa, who just shook her head and went back to the workers. It’ll be a piece of cake to justify my use of deadly force. 

xxx

Following successful arrests means dreadful reports and processing. I haven’t had any sleep in two days for Pete's sake. 

By the time I’ve finished my last report, it was already lunchtime. Lisa was supposed to join me for lunch but she isn’t done with her part of the case. She has yet to investigate the deaths of the three cases related to the drug organization we just took down. Poor Lisa. 

I’ve decided to go home and finally wash up and get even just a tad bit of sleep but changed my plans when an old lady came in and asked for Detective Park.

“She’s been out for three hours already. I’m sure Detective Park will be here in a couple of minutes.” The old lady nodded. She was holding a paper bag. I assume she’s Rosé’s grandma or something like that. “If you want, you can wait for her at the sofa.” I offered, showing her to the break room.

“What’s your name again, dear?” She asked, sitting on the couch. 

“Y/N Brae. Detective Brae.”

“Thank you for assisting me, Detective Brae. My granddaughter mentioned you before…” 

My ears perked up. With a smirk, I sat down beside Rosé’s grandma. “Really?”


When Rosé came back, I’ve already known her childhood as if I spent it with her. Her grandma is lovely enough to share with me that Rosé sings to her goldfish before she goes to sleep and how she still has teddy bears all over her bed. It’s cute.

“Grannie, what are you doing here?” Rosé looked back and forth between her grandma and me. I think it’s adorable how she calls her ‘grannie’. 

“I brought you lunch, dear. I’m sure you haven’t been eating much.”

“Hey, Rosie~” I smirked, emphasizing the ‘Rosie’. She glared at me before focusing on her grandmother.

“Grannie, did you wait long?” Her voice turns extra sweet when talking to her. 

“Y/N here kept me company. She is indeed entertaining.” Her grandma then turned to me, placing her hand on top of mine. “Thank you again, dear.”

“It’s nothing. Just like Rosie told you, I’m weirdly charming.” I smirked, catching Rosé’s ears go red.  Her grandma told me all the things Rosé said to her about me. It was very informative.

“Let’s go to the lunch room.” Rosé helped her grandma up, ushering her out, not forgetting to give me one last glare.

xxx

I filed for a sick leave the next day. I had to go to Scotland and pay my dearest uncle a visit, and maybe, teach him a little lesson. Calling my personal pilot, I had him pick me up that afternoon, taking about two hours for us to arrive in Scotland.

Bogum engulfed me in a hug the moment I landed. I chuckled, pulling from the hug. “Missed me that much?”

“You're easily missed.” He smiled, playfully shoving me. His expression then turned serious when we got inside the mansion. “They’re waiting for you in the room.” I’ve called last night for a meeting with all the members in the hierarchy, which consists of mostly my relatives. 

I nodded, about to push the door open, but was stopped by Bogum hand on mine. I turned to face him, only to be met with his worried eyes.

“Be careful, alright? They might be planning something.”

“I doubt that. But don’t worry. I’m always two steps ahead.” I smirked, turning back to enter the meeting room.

Once I entered the room, my eyes met each of theirs, making sure that they knew who’s in charge. I sat in my chair, facing all of them. I stared at them for a while, making them uncomfortable and anxious under my gaze. Some of them were fiddling with their fingers while some kept themselves distracted by staring at the bookshelves. Unlike how Lisa and Bogum knew me, these people around the table knew me in a different light: cunning, ruthless, cold, and unforgiving. 

Finally feeling satisfied with the level of anxiousness they’re emitting, I went straight to the point. “So, you want me out?”

Uncle Steve seemed to be caught off guard by my question. Seriously though, he shouldn’t be surprised. I know everything. 

A second later, he composed himself, straightening his back. He even had the audacity to look me straight in the eye. he cleared his throat. “You left to play detective. Do you expect us to feel secure when you left the business with that boy? The distribution is slowing down. I’m sure I’m not the only one who thinks it’s the time to change the leader.” He looks at the others in the table.

I shrugged. “I’ll let you have the cartel.” His eyes widened, while the others snapped their head towards me. “In your next life.” I pulled out a pistol, aiming it to his forehead, shooting him with not a single strand of hesitation. I placed the gun on the table, looking at the shocked expression painted on each of their faces. “Anyone else wants an early ticket to hell?”

They all shared a look, and I’m quite sure they got my message. I stood up, leaving the meeting room.

“How’d it go?” Bogum asked when I plopped down the sofa next to him.

“Great actually. Although it got a bit messy.” I shrugged while he just shook her head. Although he knew it was part of the business, Bogum always hated it whenever I pull the trigger. Considering that he’s a doctor, used to be, I guess it’s just natural.

Glancing at the clock, I stood up. “Anyway, I should get going.”

Bogum furrowed his eyebrows, a frown appearing. “Right now?”

“Yeah. I still have a case to discuss with another detective.”

He stood up, holding my hand. “Can’t you stay for the night?”

“I can’t. I have to be at work tomorrow.”

“Y/N, stay.” Bogum pulled me into a hug, his arms tightening around my waist. “Just for tonight? Please?”

I sighed, giving in. “Fine.” It had always been hard to say no to him.

Bogum and I slept together, well technically we didn’t as I told him about all the things that happened within my first two weeks as a detective. We basically spent the night talking, just like what we used to do before.

Just like I told him, I prepared to leave at seven in the morning, not having time to even grab breakfast with him. 

Rosé

I’ve always been certain in my life. I was certain that pineapples go with pizzas, I was certain that avocados are overrated, I was certain that I wanted to be a detective, but lately, uncertainty has been clouding my mind. It all began two weeks ago when I first caught sight of her, the new detective. 

I have a boyfriend of four years. We were steady, unlike my feelings recently. What happened between me and Y/N made it difficult for me to look him straight into his eyes without events of that night flashing back. I hated myself for it. I hated myself for actually remembering how much I had fun that night. I don’t know what kind of person I’m becoming, all I know is I’m conflicted and troubled. 

“We’re going for a mandatory night out!” Officer Kim shouted, making me jump a little from my seat. He explained that we all needed a drink after Lisa and Y/N took down a drug organization. Lisa and Y/N turned him down at first but eventually gave in. All of us, even the DA, then went to the bar we went to before.

We all sat in one circular booth, drinking shots from time to time until B.I suggested a very, very, interesting game of Truth or dare. Nobody plays that anymore.

Officer Tuan started the game, spinning the bottle, which pointed to Officer Kim. “Truth.”

“Boo~” Y/N teased, causing the others to laugh. Now that I’ve observed her and Lisa together, they seem to be very close. I mean, she did say that they had a one night stand before, which weirdly makes me feel upset. Just how many guys and girls have she slept with?

“How many girlfriends have you had?” Mark asked, earning a couple of raised eyebrows directed to B.I. He never really talked about his relationship at work. Not that I’m interested.

B.I took a shot before answering, “One.”

“Prude,” Lisa commented. They all laughed along, teasing B.I even more, but I can only focus on Lisa’s hand on Y/N’s thigh and Y/N’s arm slung around Lisa’s shoulders. I sighed but quickly shook my head after I realized what I did. Why am I so upset anyway? It’s not like I like her. She’s nothing but trouble.

B.I spun the bottle, which ended up pointing to the DA. It was kinda a surprise that she came with us tonight.

“Dare,” Jennie smirked. Everyone must’ve expected that already. She had always been so competitive and arrogant.

B.I smirked back. “I dare you to kiss the hottest person here.”

Jennie raised an eyebrow but then got distracted when Y/N snickered. “That’s impossible. She can’t kiss herself.”

Everyone oohed at the subtle flirting while I can feel my jaw and fist tighten. I suddenly want to put anyone, just anyone, to jail. 

Jennie seemed to be enjoying what Y/N said as her smirk almost looked like a smile. She rarely smiles—-don’t tell me she likes her. 

“That’s true…well then, how about the second hottest?” B.I wiggled his eyebrows, probably expecting the DA to kiss him. I hope. 

Jennie shrugged. “Sure.” She stood up, walking over to Y/N, pulling her by the collar towards her, smashing their lips together. Everybody could tell that she’s deepening the kiss, probably even using her tongue. Ugh. 

I looked away, hating every second of it even when everybody was cheering. What’s there to cheer about?!

Once they’re done, finally, Jennie went back to her seat, her smirk never leaving her face. Y/N was smiling, she obviously enjoyed it! How could she? 
Why am I even so worked up about this? She’s a player, a huge flirt, unpredictable, everything I’ve always avoided. As much as I try not to be, I’ve become a moth attracted to the bright, blinding light.

I left early. Partly because my boyfriend messaged me, saying he’s at my apartment, and partly because Jennie and Y/N kept on flirting with each other. Seriously, why don’t they just sleep together right there and then? Actually, nevermind. I don’t think that’s a good idea. 

I pressed my password in my keypad, opening my apartment’s door. The moment I stepped inside, my heart started beating twice as fast. There were candles all over the living room, white petals created a path towards the middle of the room, where he knelt, holding out a ring. 

My mind went blank.

“Rosie,” he called, motioning me to walk towards him. Slowly, I did, until I was standing in front of him. He smiled at me brightly before taking a deep breath. “Will you marry me?”


 

I've just started my freshman year in uni and I've been kinda busy adjusting. It's not as fun as I hoped. It . sighssss wish me good luck :(

Huge thanks to Poohbear209Iaithe, and June__ for upvoting this story ♡♡♡