First Day, Got Laid

Play Pretend

 


First day, got laid

 

 

Head high, mask on, and it’s play time. I waltz in the precinct as if it was my home, only that I wasn’t entirely sure where I was supposed to go. I paused in front of the lousy officers doing their desk jobs while I look around for the office of the police captain. All eyes were on me. This should be fun. 

Spotting the office to the right, I slowly made my way towards it, knowing well that they were observing every move I made. 

I knocked once at the door, twisting the knob when the captain said his “Come in”.

His disgruntled face lit up when he saw me. “You must be Detective Brae. Have a seat.” And so I did. He closed the file he was reading and clasped his hands on top. “So, first day?”

“No, second.” Lesson number one: don’t get sarcastic with your boss. But if the event of accidentally slipping out the much-needed sarcasm, casually laugh and save yourself by saying, “I was just kidding.”

“Right, right. I’ll spare you the basic procedures since I read that you worked 2 years in Westlake. They’re basically our ‘twin’ station. So, whatever you do there, job description and everything else should be the same here.” “Any questions?”

Oh, I have one. Who the hell invented the term ‘twin station’? “None.”

“Okay, good. I’ll introduce you to the team.” Captain Stinson stood up from his seat, and so did I. We both walked out of the office and ended up in the middle of the precinct, standing before the officers earlier. “Officers, I’d like you to meet Detective Brae. She’ll be working with us from now on.” 

I gave a slight nod, not forgetting to flash on a smirk. Everybody loves a confident and capable woman.

“Our precinct really does get the hottest Detectives.” The officer with a slightly loose necktie ‘whispered’ to the guy beside him.

“Yeah, wait till you find out she’s into girls,” The guy beside him said, and I couldn’t help but smirk even more. I like that guy.

Captain Stinson coughed, pretending he didn’t hear any of his officers. “Detective, your desk is right there.” He pointed towards the one near the interrogation room, I suppose. “Welcome to the team.” He then went back to his office.

Right at the moment the captain’s door closed, the officer with the loose necktie stood up and leaned on the desk in front of me. “Hey. I’m officer Kim, ready to serve you.” Officer Kim winked.

I shrugged. “Great. I’ll have iced coffee, thanks.” I walked past him, settling down on my desk. 

I watched as Officer Kim stood still in his position, not moving an inch, until someone shouted, “What are you doing B.I.? Go get her a coffee!”

The guys laughed as ‘B.I.’ slowly made his way to the coffee brewer. 

“Nice to have another person dissing B.I.. I’m officer Tuan, Mark Tuan. Pleasure to meet you.” He stood in front of my desk, extending a hand, to which I shook. “The pleasure is mine.” I smiled, letting my hold linger for a couple more second, not breaking eye contact. He’s kinda cool.

“Wow. You’re a player.” The officer closest to my desk commented, pointing at me with his pen.

I raised an eyebrow, leaning back comfortably in my chair. “What makes you say so?”

“Oh, I know a player when I see one.” He nodded, sporting a knowing smile. “But you know, I don’t mind playing with you.”

I shrugged. “Yeah well, I play for the other team.”

He groaned, crumpling a piece of paper and throwing it into the trash bin. “Why do the hot ones have to be into girls?”

“I’m biual.” I clarified.

“Oh thank god!” B.I. cheered, placing the coffee on my table. 

“You’re not gay?”

B.I. looked at me in horror and disbelief, every color draining from his face. “Why does everybody think I’m gay?!” He looked at the other officers laughing at him. “I like girls, I like s!”

A girl with fiery red hair walked out of the interrogation room. She shook her head. “Men.”

“Oh look. Another biual who thought I was gay.” B.I. rolled his eyes, going back to his desk.

The red-haired girl stood in front of me, and I swear I couldn’t think of anything else besides, “Wow.” Okay, play it cool. I stood up, smiling as I offered a hand. “I’m Y/N, Detective in Narcotics Investigation.”

“Detective Roseanne Park, Narcotics Investigation as well. Rosé will do.” God, I didn’t know anyone could look better in suits than me. I take that back. I look a tad bit better than her, I can give her that. But damn is she hot.

“First name basis on the first day? That’s wild,” The officer next to me commented,“You didn’t let me call you ‘Rosé’ until I helped you solve case 192.” 

Rosé shrugged. “You have to earn it.”

“So she's earned it already? I see—-Oh here she comes.” Diverting all our attention, he motioned to the girl coming through the door and hurriedly shuffling to her desk. I smirked.

“10 minutes late. You’re early.”

“Shut up Roseanne.” She grumbled, placing her coffee on her desk.

“Detective Park,” Rosé corrected, crossing her arms.

“Lisa. We have a new hot Detective. Don’t hit on her though. I called dibs.” B.I. shouted, as if I wasn’t here at all.

“Dibs my . Whe—-“ Lisa looked around and a second later, our eyes met.

I grinned. “Hey.”

Lisa’s eyes widened. If we were in an animated cartoon, her eyes would’ve popped out if its sockets. “What are you doing here?” She whispered harshly, rushing towards me, demanding me to stand up from my chair before pulling me to a storage room.

If someone were to ask me to choose between my parents and Lisa, I would choose Lisa without any second thoughts. Being friends with her was inevitable. My dad and her parents were the best of friends, and not only that, my family ruled the cannabis and distribution while theirs ruled the ecstasy and opioids. We’re basically best friends bound by drugs. Cool, right? We used to be two peas in a pod, that was until her dad sent her here to spy as a homicide detective.

I leaned on one of the shelves once Lisa locked the door. “Not even a ‘long time no see! I missed you so much I thought I was going to die!’? What about the years we’ve spent together? The memories we shared?”

“Shut up!” Lisa paced the very narrow storage room for about a couple of seconds before finally stopping in front of me, massaging her forehead. “But seriously, why the hell are you here?”

“I was sent to spy on you.”

She gave me her poker face. “Again, why are you here?”

I chuckled then shrugged. “I was bored.”

“You’re unbelievable.”

“I know. Thanks.”

“It wasn’t a compliment.”

I shrugged once again. 

It’s been a year since I last saw Lisa. It was when she visited me in Scotland out of the blue, asking around where my funeral was being held. Turns out Bogum pranked call her saying I died from a car accident. Seriously though, the probability of me dying from a car accident is lower than me dying from a grenade exploding while I’m sleeping. 

Lisa sighed. “We’ll talk about this later. They’ll get suspicious.”

We then both went out of the storage room, only to find the officers looking at us expectantly as if they’ve been waiting for us all this time. Maybe they were.

“You two know each other?” Officer Tuan asked, seemingly very interested in a gossip.

Lisa immediately shook her head. How the hell has nobody caught on that she’s a spy? I would’ve known it the moment she walked in. “Not rea—-“

“We had a one night stand months before and Lisa is embarrassed by it so she pulled me aside to seal my lips, if you know what I mean.” I wiggled my eyebrows, smirking. There’s no harm in giving them a workplace gossip to keep them occupied.

“No, we did not! We—-“

“No need to be ashamed Lisa.” I patted her back, leaving a kiss on her cheeks. God this feels like teasing her back in the old days. 

All the officers hollered, teasing Lisa.

“What’s this all about?” From loud sirens to complete silence, they all went back pretending to do their reports when Captain Stinson showed up.

xxx

Not long after, Rosé called me over to the conference room. 

“Captain Stinson wanted me to brief you to the case I’m working on.” Rosé stood in front of the board while I took a sit in front of her. 

“Sure, go ahead.”

She nodded then started talking, pointing at the pictures pinned on the board. God, she looks so hot just standing there. Her silk-like hair makes me want to run my fingers through it. And let’s not forget about the fact that her body is so perfect. She’s even a tad bit taller than me. 

Her eyebrows scrunched. ”Are you listening?” 

“Yea—Yeah! Of course.” I chuckled, leaning back in the chair, crossing my legs. If there’s anything I learned from having meetings with buyers and other drug lords, it’s: always be confident and act like you know everything even if you don’t have a single clue. Always.

“How many kilograms of methamphetamine are we looking for again?”

I shrugged. “15.”

“1!” Rosé sighed, placing her hands on her hips. “See, you weren’t listening.”

And when you get caught, find an excuse. “I’m sorry but…It’s really your fault so…”

“Excuse me? How is you not listening my fault?”

“Your beauty is distracting me.” I shrugged once again, acting nonchalant while I observe the light pink tint appearing on her cheeks. 

She coughed, standing awkwardly. “As I was saying earlier…” And then she went on again. “I’m betting he’s working under quince.”

After muting most of what she was saying, I sat up a little bit more straight when I heard my name. “Quince?” Codename, rather.

“The head of Non-Altum. I’m sure you’ve heard about him.” People always assumed that I was a guy. Makes it easier for me to hide from the radar. These fools.

“I’ve read about him. I heard he’s really smart.” I smirked. 

“He’s the only thing that’s motivating me right now.” Rosé sighed once more, shaking her head. “God, I so want to bring that guy down.”

“I’m sure he’ll want to get down with you as well.”

“What?”

“Nothing.” I smiled, drumming my fingers on the table. “Do you have any progress?”

“After almost a year of hundreds of dead ends and absolute nothing, we got a lead that Quince is here in town.” That’s a good one. How in the hell did they found out that I was here that quick? I have to find the one who gave the lead. “Anyway, we’re going to work on that one after this one so we better close this case quickly.”

xxx

First day of work is basically uneventful. Rosé and I worked on the case, brainstorming. 
My shift has already come to an end so I packed my bag and got ready to go home.

“Where are you going?” Officer Tuan called as soon as I stood up from my desk.

“Home, captain obvious.”

He laughed. “No, you’re not.”

“Yes, I am.”

“It’s your first day. It’s a tradition that we go out for a drink. Everybody’s going.” He stood up, gathering his things as well.

I shrugged. “Well, I never turn down a drink so, where are we going?”

We all went out of the precinct together and walked towards the bar three blocks away. I was walking behind all of them when Lisa slowed her pace to match mine. She whispered, “Don’t even think of sleeping with anyone tonight, especially any of the officers.”

I gasped, placing my hand on my chest. “It’s like you’re telling me not to breathe!” I chuckled, but Lisa was glaring at me. Geez.

“I’m serious Y/N.”

“You’re no fun. What happened to you?” I nudged her with very little force but she kept on glaring at me. I sighed. “Okay, fine. I’ll try but I can’t promise. You know nobody can resist this perfection.”

Lisa shook her head, finally giving me a smile. It had been six years since she started as a spy in the homicide division, and I could tell in one glance that a lot has changed in those years. Oh, how I miss the old days when all we had in mind were pranks and video games.

Officer Kim oversell the bar to me by saying “it’s the best bar in town”. I was kinda expecting a huge one with at least a hundred alcohol choices.

“Stop comparing the bar in your mansion with the bar here,” Lisa whispered and I laughed in turn. She still knows how to read my mind. 

Lisa and I, along with Officer Tuan and another officer who I can’t remember the name of, went to take a sit in the largest booth while the rest went straight to get drinks. 

Officer Tuan volunteered to get us a drink. “What are you having?” He asked me.

“I’ll have Patron’s 7 An—-“

“She’ll have a mojito,” Lisa cut me off, and Officer Tuan went to get the drinks. How could she order me a mojito?

As she probably read my betrayed expression, she leaned in to whisper, careful that the officer in front of us might suspect something. Good thing the music is a bit loud. “Being a detective doesn’t pay much. Don’t order any expensive drinks when you’re out with the officers if you don’t want to be caught.”

“What, so, I have to act like I'm poor now?” I crossed my arms.

“Yes.”

Officer Tuan came back, passing the drinks. I slowly took a sip of the drink and my face automatically scrunched up the moment it touched my tongue. “This taste so bad,” I groaned, only for Lisa to hear.

“It does, so why don’t you quit whatever this is you’re doing and just go back to Scotland and drink your $200,000 dollars liquor?”

I took another sip of the drink, pretending to like it this time. “You know actually, this doesn’t taste cheap at all. If I didn’t know any better, I would’ve thought that this costs $500.” I smiled, hearing Lisa groan. She’s going to have to try harder to make me go back home. 

A minute later, the other officers came to the booth with their drinks. Rosé sat next to me, followed by Officer Samuel, while Officer Kim and another officer sat across from us.

They talked about office work for what seemed like hours when Officer Kim asked, “So Y/N, no boyfriend? girlfriend?” I didn’t know how we got to the first name basis, but who cares?

Lisa snorted. “If there’s anything she’s scared of, it’s those two words. Oh! and ‘I love you’. She’ll run the second you mention those three words. I’ve seen it with my own eyes.”

I placed my hand on her shoulder. “Lisa, I didn’t know you’re still holding a grudge about that morning of our one night stand when you told me ‘I love you’ and I ran out of your apartment.”

Laughter erupted in our booth, but before I can join in, Lisa stepped on my left foot, making me bite my lip to prevent myself from screaming in pain. “Stop making things up.” She gritted. 

From the throbbing pain on my foot, I can only hope that it wouldn’t bruise. I hate Lisa.

After recovering from the pain and enjoying every bit of teasing Lisa gets, I glanced to my right, noticing Rosé was only drinking iced tea. “You’re not drinking?”

“Mother Teresa doesn’t drink on weekdays,” B.I. answered instead, earning a laugh from the officers.

“Hey!” Rosé protested.

“She’s all about following the rules. Too uptight.”

“No, I’m not!”

Lisa laughed, joining in. “If she didn’t become a detective she’ll most likely be a nun.”

“That’s not true!”

Rosé’s phone suddenly rang. I snorted. “That’s your calling!” Sorry Rosé, I had to.

She didn’t answer her phone but instead glared at everyone. “You know what? Screw all of you.” Rosé took one of the glasses on the table and had a shot, and another one.

“Mother Teresa is getting wild!” B.I. cheered, followed by the other officers. 

Rosé took another shot. 

xxx

I woke up with my mouth so dry. I still hadn’t opened my eyes. Scenes from last night flashed one by one. I remember drinking so many shots as I kept on losing in the game we played.

I opened my eyes slowly, the alarm clock on my nightstand greeting me as I lay facing to my left. It’s 7:30. Oh god. I have work today. But I don’t wanna move right now…

Forcing myself to sit up, the sheets on top of me fell. My eyes widened. I’m not wearing anything right now. Quickly, I pulled the sheets to cover my top. My line of sight caught clothes spread on my bedroom floor. It was mine…and another person’s. I stared at the clothes, still not looking at the person sleeping under the sheets. 

I don’t recall sleeping with anyone last—-oh. 

I remember pretending that I wasn’t drunk when Lisa told me she’ll drop me off so she’ll leave me. She bought it. B.I., Mark, and I stayed at the bar and ordered more alcohol. And—-I didn’t sleep with B.I., did I?

Shuddering at the thought, I quickly turned to my right and pulled the covers down slightly. The top of his head showed, his fiery red hair—-Wait…Red hair? 

Oh crap.