CH1: Camp fire

Those Summer Days

Yoo Jeongyeon made her way across a familiar gravel driveway the sounds of laughter echoing from all around. There were children jumping off cliche yellow buses carrying backpacks that were almost the same size as them, she waved at a few familiar faces as she passed this was her second year as a Camp Counsellor at Camp JYP but she’s actually been coming here every summer since the age of 8. 

 

As she reached the top of the drive there was a large wooden cabin she pushed open the faded red wooden door and walked inside sat at a desk was Jihyo the two had met at both of their first years at camp and had been close ever since. Jihyo had recently taken on a more hands on role at the camp, she basically ran the place for Mr Park. Jihyo jumped up from the desk and pulled Jeongyeon in a tight hug.

 

“I’ve missed you”

 

Jeongyeon just rolled her eyes 

 

“You say that every year”

 

“That’s because It’s true.”

 

Jihyo replied handing a Jeongyeon a large pile of paperwork 

 

“You’ve got the senior campers this year.”

 

Jeongyeon scanned the list of campers in her cabin they were all familiar names, it would be their last camp and Jeongyeon was excited too make it one they’d remember forever.

 

“Actually I missed you too”

 

Jeongyeon smiled over at her oldest friend 

 

“I hope I’m not interrupting anything”

 

A voice spoke from by the door catching the attention of both the girls it was Nayeon the final member of their old little camp gang, Nayeon had joined camp JYP a few years after the other two but was the oldest though never say that too her face. She skipped into the room wrapping and arm around each of their shoulders. Nayeon then turned her face to Jihyo

 

“Have you told her Sana’s come back yet?”

 

Jihyo glared at Nayeon and Jeongyeon finally realised what had just been said, Sana was back. Her old camp crush who went to Japan for school was back. Jeongyeon had worked so hard the months after that final year at camp to forget about Sana and her cute… well cute everything. Jeongyeon had, had a huge crush on Sana for about 5 years. 

 

“Oh Sana’s back” 

 

She tried reply nonchalant though there was an obvious break in her voice.

 

“Yeah she’ll be here later, for the first camp fire.”

 

 

_________________________________________________________________________

 

A few hours of Chaos later Jeongyeon was sat in her cabin engaging in a pointless ice-breaker activity that Jihyo had insisted she still had to do because “it would be fun” her campers were Mina, Dahyun, Chaeyoung and Tzuyu, they all been here back when Jeongyeon was a camper and they knew each other pretty well at this point however, Mina was currently discussing that she’d got a scholarship for the Royal school of Ballet in London, Chaeyoung seemed fascinated by the news Jeongyeon however was still thinking about Sana, she was determined not to embarrass herself in front of her. She still remembers that first summer when Sana had turned up in camp when they were about twelve years old at first Jeongyeon hadn’t been impressed with the new Japanese addition to their camp crew, Sana had taken the place the cabin that had once belong to a girl called Cecelia. Jeongyeon and Cecelia had been bunk buddies for four years and Jeongyeon wasn’t happy with the change especially with someone she’d didn’t especially someone who covered her bed in pink blankets and unicorn stuffed toys, Sana. Jeongyeon was very much in her tomboy phase at this point yet, somehow her Sana became really good friends and as Jeongyeon grew to accept that fact that she wasn’t straight it turned into a crush, which had also led to Jeongyeon saying the wrong things at the wrong time and Sana laughing and calling her cute which she hated by the way. Jeongyeon wanted that un-awkaward friendship back she wanted to show Sana the real her, the mature her, even if it leads nowhere. 

 

“Jeongyeon?”

 

Dahyun voice broke here from her daze 

 

“Do you want some candy”

 

Jeongyeon took a red vine form Dahyun’s hand 

 

“You’re not trying to bribe me into letting you guys stay up past lights out?”

 

she asked before taking a bite.

 

“I think I’m going to comeback as Counsellor next year”

 

Dahyun added

 

“And have Jihyo boss me about.” 

 

“She’s a pretty strict boss” 

 

jeongyeon added with a laugh 

 

“speaking of being bossy, I need to force you guys to go to the campfire. Tzuyu grab the blankets, Mina throw me that bag of Marshmallows” 

 

and with that the girls scrambled about putting on their comfy shoes and heading out the door and across the camp ground arms liked towards a large fire fit surrounded by a lot of confused looking kids. 

 

they picked a spot just to the side away from the direction of the wind to avoid the smoke but still close enough to toast their marshmallows. Jeongyeon flashed a smile at Jihyo who was stood on a raised platform above the crowds of people, another group of campers took the spot next to there’s the campers looked around 15 Jeongyeon looked around to spot who their counsellor was 

 

“Sana. Hi”

 

She spluttered standing up as the girl neared them she was also wearing a red Counsellor hoody 

 

“Jeongyeon”

 

Sana replied pulling the other counsellor into tight hug and Jeongyeon could smell her perfume it was like Cherry blossoms on a Spring day. It reminded her of all those summers they’d spent together she inhaled once more before pulling away. 

 

“How’ve you been? Why are you back?” 

 

before Sana could reply Jihyo called everyone to attention and Sana flashed a smile before sitting down with her cabin.

 

“Damn it”

 

Jeongyeon muttered to herself cursing Jihyo before sitting back down. the cursing only continued when Nayeon appeared next Jihyo holding an Acoustic Guitar.

 

The awful campfire songs lasted for what seemed like hours with Dahyun singing loudly into Jeongyeon’s ear but it was finally marshmallow time. 

 

The group formed there own small circle where they ate and laughed, when finally the fire was burning low and Tzuyu was slowly falling asleep on Chaeyoung’s shoulder, Jeongyeon marched the girls back to cabin.

 

 

_________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

The next day Jeongyeon woke up early and glanced round the cabin she found she always slept better when she was here, only a few feet away from nature. She listened as the birds sang in the trees outside and checked her watch.

 

“Girls get up. If you want to shower before the tiny children use up all the hot water.”

 

Tzuyu groaned before throwing a stuffed animal right at Jeongyeon’s face. She’d knew that Tzuyu didn’t do mornings, but it was camp, the birds were chirping and the sun was shining what was not love?

 

Jeongyeon searched through her bag pulling out a whistle  and blew it.

 

“Girls wake up”

 

The members of cabin quickly jumped to attention.

 

“Shower block. let’s go.”

 

They all grabbed their toiletries bags and towels and headed across the camp to the shower block. There was a separate section for Counsellors to use seeing as her campers were all almost 18 Jeongyeon was permitted to leave them alone. She said her goodbyes and headed round to the counsellors showers, she needed to just feel the water run over her body as she tried to clear her head she was strangly tense. As she rounded the corner she could hear running water she wondered who it was. She moved into an empty shower two down from the one that was currently occupied and turned the water one. Result it was still warm that meant Nayeon and the pesky 8 year old were still asleep. Jeongyeon quickly washed her hair and turned off the shower suddenly aware of how hungry she was all she’d had to eat the night before was Marshmallows. She quickly got dressed still in the shower cubicle which was struggle but Jeongyeon wasn’t going to do it outside where anyone could walk in. Where Nayeon could walk in and about it for months. She walked out the cubicle and pulled her toothbrush out of her bag then looked towards the sinks where Sana was stood in just a towel. So Sana had been in the other cubicle. Jeongyeon cleared before standing next to her trying really hard not to look at the way the towel wrapped so nicely around Sana’s curves.

 

“Hi”

 

Sana replied flashing Jeongyeon a smile before returning her gaze to the mirror 

 

“Hi”

 

Jeongyeon mumbled in return her toothbrush hanging out awkwardly

 

“I like this hair colour on you”

 

Sana added it was true Jeongyeon had just before camp made the bold decsicion to dye her almost shoulder length hair Blonde.

 

“I swear last time I saw you it was so short almost like a boys but this…”

 

Sana reached over to touch Jeongyeons hair causing towel  to slip down ever so slightly and Jeongyeon was pretty sure her heart stopped. She wasn’t sure what she’d done to deserve this torture, she tried to calm her nerves as Sana continued to lean in close to her far too much of her cleavage on show. 

 

“It looks good.”

 

Jeongyeon smiled she could feel her cheeks heating up and was pretty sure she was now as red as a tomato Sana flashed a big smile in her direction before moving a way and readjusting her towel slightly 

 

“Thank you.” Jeongyeon replied before washing  off her toothbrush

 

“We need to have a proper catch up some point before all the camp made gets in to full swing”

 

Jeongyeon boldly said to Sana who nodded in return. Jeongyeon practically skipped out the showers that hadn’t gone as bad as it would’ve two years ago maybe she was in fact a changed more mature person, sure the way she stared at Sana wasn’t quiet the way two friends looked at each other but in her defence Sana had a very good body you’d be crazy not to appreciate it even just a tiny bit. Jeongyeon headed over to where Mina was sat playing Patty-cake with Chaeyoung

 

“Why are you so happy?”

 

Tzuyu asked with a frown looking Jeonhyeon in a way that made her slightly uncomfortable that girl could be creepy sometimes, it like she could read your mind with one look Jeonyeon decided it was best to avoid eye contact just in case turning to the rest of the group. 

 

“Because It’s breakfast time.”

 

the girls all cheered and Dahyun even dabbed in excitement.