CH5: Lollipop

Those Summer Days

Jeongyeon hurried back into her cabin after a stop off at the bathroom to change out of the ridiculous outfit. Her suspicions were right and all the girls were still awake sat in a circle surrounded by soda cans and a huge stash of Candy. They all turned to look at Jeongyeon as she threw her bag onto her bunk

 

“What?” She asked them 

 

“Where have you been Unnie?” 

 

Tzuyu asked her voice soft.

 

“Did you fall. You’ve got mud on your knees?”

 

Dahyun added. 

 

Jeongyeon looked down at her knees they were covered in a light dusting of mud.

 

“Yeah I stumbled in the dark”

 

Jeongyeon said before climbing into her bed and pulling her headphones out of her bag.

 

“You spend so much time with Sana you’re turning into her”

 

Dahyun replied and Jeongyeon felt her cheeks getting warm at the mention of her fellow camp counsellor the one who only minutes ago had been kissing her.

 

“Sana who said anything about Sana... I just fell over that’s all.”

 

There was a slight panic in her voice not that there was anything wrong about what happened with her and Sana it just wasn’t something she should be sharing with a bunch of kids that were barely out of high school.

 

“I just meant that Sana falls over a lot and you fell over”

 

Dahyun said her voice quieter than normal Jeongyeon smiled at the younger girl

 

“Oh right yeah she does. Anyway I think it’s time for bed go brush your teeth then it’s lights out.”

 

She watched the girls fumble about crowded round the tiny sink at the far end of the cabin and closed her eyes. Her dreams were full of re-runs of her kisses with Sana.

 

The next day was early start and as always Jeongyeon was struggling to get the girls to leave the cabin for breakfast she finally ushered them out closing the door behind them.

 

Chaeyoung was walking along next to her 

 

“You looked really cool on that stage last night”

 

Jeongyeon laughed at the younger girl

 

“I didn’t I looked stupid.”

 

They took up there usual table with Sanas cabin Chaeyoung running off to grab a seat between Mina and Somi Jeongyeon saw an empty seat next to Sana who was talking to one of her girls unaware of the new arrivals at the table Jeongyeon took a sip of her water and began to dig into her rice. She quickly finished her meal and Sana had not acknowledged her their eyes met briefly before Sana quickly looked away. What was up with? Was she ashamed of kissing Jeongyeon had she been tricked into thinking that a pretty funny girl like Sana really liked her. She cleared her table and rounded her cabin up she turned and almost walked straight into Sana 

 

“sorry.”

 

How could she be this close to her and not think about how good her lips felt this was torture.

 

“It’s okay”

 

Sana said before heading off Jeongyeon noticed she was walking slower than usual her legs covered in tiny little scratches.

 

“Looks like your not the only one who tripped last night”

 

Tzuyu said as they all starred after the other cabin 

 

“Somi said she was practically crying when she came back last night?”

 

Chaeyoung added causing Jeongyeon to frown why would Sana of been crying was she that bad of a kisser she’d never had any complaints from others before... well not that she knew of. Maybe she was homesick she use to get homesick as a kid, one summer it was so bad Jeongyeon remembers sitting next to a crying Sana offering her a lollipop maybe she still had one in her bag she could give to Sana she looked up Sana was now a speck in the distance. She sighed.

 

“Jeongyeon?”

 

She heard Mina’s voice from behind her 

 

“Did something happen with Sana? She didn’t speak to you at breakfast?”

 

Jeongyeon looked at the eldest of her campers as they rounded on the art room

 

“I tell you later”

 she said before ushering the younger girl into the room behind the others.

 

“Enjoy your class”

 

She left the girls she had about an hour of free time to kill and decided she’d go see if Jihyo was in the staff and if not they have good coffee and WiFi in there. She opened the door the sound of Jihyo‘s laughter met her ears her eldest friend was sat staring at a video on her phone.

 

“Hard at work?”

 

Jeongyeon asked making a beeline for the coffee machine the hum of it working was like music to her ears.

 

“I’m just taking a quick break.”

 

Jihyo replied smiling at her friend

 

“I saw you and Sana leave the talent show together she added not looking up from her phone as she spoke.

 

Jeongyeon grabbed her mug of coffee and moved to sit on the other side of the large oak desk.

 

“We went for a walk.”

 

Jeongyeon said before taking a sip of her drink

 

“And?”

 

Jihyo said finally making eye contact with Jeongyeon.

 

“And we kissed...”

 

Jihyo jumped up from her chair 

 

“HA. I knew it”

 

Jeongyeon rolled her eyes at her friend before staring down at her coffee

 

“Yeah but know she’s not talking to me and I don’t know what I’ve done wrong”

 

Jihyo studied Jeongyeon before speaking 

 

“She came to me this morning earlier said she fell into a thorny hedge on the way back I just assumed you guys walked back together? You did walk back together.”

 

Jeongyeon sighed putting her head into her hands.

 

“No I just left her. I heard you and Nayeon and I panicked?”

 

Jihyo rounded the desk and placed her hand on Jeongyeons shoulder reassuringly 

 

“Why did you panic? You know me and Nayeon are your biggest cheerleaders? We want you and Sana to be happy?”

 

Jeongyeon looked up at her friend 

 

“I don’t know I guess it’s because it’s Sana I’ve wanted this for so long I didn’t want to mess it up... and now I have.”

 

Jihyo pulled the older girl into a hug 

 

“No you haven’t. We can fix this? It’ll be fine.” 

 

Jeongyeon stood up finishing off her coffee

 

“I hope so.” 

 

————————-

 

It was Jeongyeons turn to help out serving dinner she recruited Mina to help here. Mina was the oldest of her cabin and had always been close with Sana they two having bonded after discovering they were both Japanese. She explained the situation to her in between scoops of Kim chi stew into the bowls of various campers. 

 

Mina nodded along as she listen to Jeongyeon talk offering words advice.

 

“I think you just need to talk to her too apologise. Maybe confess how you actually feel.”

 

Mina said with soft smile

 

“Confess what to who?

 

Both girls turned to see Nayeon who had spoken but next her looking like a rabbit in headlights was Sana. 

 

“Oh... um...”

 

Jeongyeon stuttered her eyes meeting with Sana’s for a brief moment before she looked away and began to fiddle with a loose thread on her apron. 

 

“I was just retelling a conversation I had with one of my friends back home. She liked this boy...”

 

“Oh boring...”

 

Nayeon interjection

 

“No offence Mina I just thought there was finally some juicy summer camp romance”

 

Nayeon’s eyes darted to Jeongyeon for a second before going back to Mina who quickly handed over a bowl of food for the older girl. Jeongyeon in turn took Sanas bowl and filled it up 

 

“How are you?”

 

Jeongyeon asked as she handed the bowl back

 

“We didn’t get to speak this morning?”

 

“I’m fine...”

 

Sans replied 

 

“Thanks for the food.”

 

Sana said before turning to hurry off.

 

“Wait.... can we talk later at the camp fire?”

 

Jeongyeon asked hoping and praying the answer would be yes Sana paused before nodding it wasn’t quite the the response she’d hope but it was better than a no. She turned and gave a small thumbs up to Mina.  

 

After kitchen duty jeongyeon quickly ate her dinner before heading back to the cabin to get ready for the next campfire.

 

“Jeongyeon can I do your hair”

 

Tzuyu asked sheepishly

 

“It’s so long now I’d think it would look nice if you did something with it...”

 

Jeongyeon nodded and the let the younger girl sit behind her at get to work she watched as Dahyun stuffed multiple bags of marshmallows into her back pack. Tzuyu had done a really good job on Jeongyeons hair teasing it at the top ever so slightly and putting a slight curl into the ends it was a lot for feminine that what Jeongyeon would usually do but she liked it. 

 

“It’s looks good Tzuyu”

 

She said with a big smile 

 

“Wait there’s one more thing”

 

Tzuyu went over to her bunk and return with a bunch of flowers crowns.

 

“We made these in arts and crafts earlier”

 

They all took one and put them on their head before grabbing their bags and making the familiar route to the campfire which they’d done only a month ago where Jeongyeon had reignited her feelings for Sana.  They founded a place for to sit as far away from Nayeon, Jihyo and their horrible campfire songs. Jeongyeon kept scanning the crowds for Sana she needed to see her, to talk to her and apologise to finally grow up and confess all these feelings she’d been hiding for far too long. See finally saw the other girl. Somi and a few other of her cabin ran over to sit with Chaeyeon and Tzuyu. Sana joined them flashing a small smile towards Jeongyeon before taking a seat next to her. 

 

Jeongyeon pulled out a strawberry lollipop hoping to break the silence that had fallen between the two of them.

 

“Lollipop?” 

 

She asked offering it to Sana with a smile Sana took.

 

“Yes, please.” 

 

She replied pulling off the wrapper and placing it into and Jeongyeon couldn’t take her eyes off Sanas lips.

 

“Sana I’m sorry I left you yesterday?” 

 

She said reaching for the other girls hand. She felt the other girl flinch slightly at her touch before she entertained her fingers with Jeongyeons 

 

“I know.”

Sana said with a smile the sound of singing surrounding them.

 

“I just panicked.... because I like you a lot. I’ve always liked you since we were like 12”

 

“I know” 

Sana said nudging into the other girls shoulder. 

 

“I’ve known since the first time you gave me a lollipop.”