CH2: Baby Spice

Those Summer Days

Breakfast was followed by Jeongyeon’s cabin having a dance lesson with the new dance teacher Momo, who was very impressed with Mina’s ballet routine she’d been preparing for the talent show in a few nights time. Jihyo had mentioned she was working on a routine for all the Counsellors to do together as part of the show Jeongyeon was already dreading it. Dahyun followed up Mina’s routine with her infamous eagle dance which caused Momo to break out into a fit of giggles.

 

“She won the competition with that. A few years back”

 

Jeongyeon spoke making eye contact with the dance teacher

 

“Yeah I beat your saxophone solo with”

 

Dahyun replied sticking her tongue out at Jeongyeon. 

 

“Tzuyu, what are you doing for the talent competition?’

 

Jeongyeon asked the youngest member of her group

 

“Were doing a magic act.”

 

Chaeyoung interrupted 

 

“I’m going to saw Chaeyoung in half”

 

Tzuyu added looking over at her friend at least Jeongyeon hoped they’re friends and she hadn’t just became accomplice to murder.

 

“Ok that’s times up”

 

Momo said bringing the dush Sana overtime as she stumbled over her own feet like a new born Deer. Jeongyeon wasn’t the only one reminiscing as she heard a sniffle from her left side side it was Sana she instinctively reached out for the other girls hand giving it a a reassuring sqance class till the end 

 

“I’m going take you guys over to your english lesson Jihyo wants Jeongyeon to stay here.”

 

“Ooh Jeongyeon’s in trouble”

 

Dahyun chimed before leaving with the others.

 

A few minutes passed before the door to the dance studio burst open revealing Jihyo  a bunch a paper work, following sheepishly behind her were Nayeon, Momo and Sana who gave Jeongyeon a small wave as she entered the room. 

 

“Okay so Ye-eun, Sun-mi and Hye-lim bailed so it’s just us. Which is great because I found this picture hidden away in the office.”

 

Jihyo spoke before picking up an old photograph from the top of the pile of paperwork.

 

Jeongyeon stood up and moved to have a closer look  it was a picture taken around 3 years ago here at Camp JYP. The picture showed the smiling faces of Jeongyeon, Sana, Nayeon and Jihyo though technically you could only see the top of head her eyes were smiling. The photo also included some of their old camp friends MinYoung and Lena. All the memories came flooding back of the six of them huddled round a camp fire eating smores, telling ghost stories after having snuck out the cabins once the Councellors, were asleep having to shueeze. 

 

“It’s seems like only yesterday doesn’t it?”

 

Nayeon asked 

 

the room filled with silence as the girls stared at the photo. Jeongyeon had lost almost all contact with Minyoung and Lena she’d also stopped talking to Sana over the years,that’s why her being back was such a kick in the teeth she was going to get all worked up on someone who was just going to walk out of her life… Again. She looked down at their hands unless she could make it work this time, grow-up and tell Sana how she felt and what she wanted. she let out a small sigh, Sana probably didn’t feel the same but atlas they could stay friends this time she looked over at the younger girl who was wiping tears off her face with her free hand.

 

“I also have this one of Jeongyeon with long hair”

 

Jihyo beamed holding up the embarrassing picture and breaking the sombre mood, from next to her Sana began to laugh letting go of Jeongyeons hand, who then quickly began to chase Jihyo around the room trying to snatch the picture back . Jihyo was surprinsgly fast but Jeongyeon was confident she could take her down until Nayeon stuck out her foot as the two ran past causing Jeongyeon to fall to the floor. Sana snorted with laughter. Jeongyeon didn’t think it was that funny but given her huge crush on Sana she was willing to forgive her. Momo was looking very confused at the back of the room. Jihyo coughed and straightened out her skirt.

 

“Sorry about that. Let’s get back on track. Were doing Spice Girls for the talent show.”

 

“Oh we’d make such a cute Girl Group”

 

Squealed Nayeon as Jihyo handed out pieces of paper with roles and Lyrics on.

 

 

 

Spice Girls - Wannabe for talent show 

 

 

Scary Spice - Im Nayeon

Ginger Spice - Park Jihyo

Sporty Spice - Yoo Jeongyeon

Baby Spice - Minatozaki Sana

Posh Spice - Hirai Momo

 

 

 

“Wait why am I Scary Spice?”

 

demanded Nayeon glaring up from her piece of paper 

 

“it’s one of parts with the most lines, but we can switch if you want”

 

replied Jihyo crossing it out on her piece of paper.

 

“…I’ll be scary spice.”

 

“More like bossy spice”

 

Nayeon replied to Jeongyeon causing them both to laugh. 

 

 

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

 

 

“Where have you been?”

 

Mina asked as Jeongyeon joined them at the dinner table 

 

“Jihyo is making us perform at the talent show.”

 

“Wait is she making you sing and dance”

 

Chaeyoung asked looking up from her dinner 

 

Jeongyeon nodded reaching for a napkin 

 

“I’m Sporty spice. She’s going buy me a glittery shell suit.”

 

“Beats being baby spice”

 

Sana and her cabin were now sitting down on same long Hogwarts style table 

 

“I’m older than Jihyo, yet I’m Baby spice”

 

“You do have a bit of a more Babyish voice I guess.”

 

Mina replied causing Sana to shrug Which was true Jihyo had alway had a mature sounding singing voice she’d use to sing the time at camp round the fire, in the shower first thing in th morning much the annoyance of the others in the cabin. Jeongyeon looked at Sana and could totally see why she’d been picked as baby spice her Aeygo and affection nature definitely fit the bill as well as something else…

 

“You’ve also got that kinda cute yet y vibe going on”

 

Jeongyeon spoke realising what she said and bringing her hand to cover , the laughs of Tzuyu and Dahyun echoing in her ears.

 

“She’s right! It fits with the cheer routine you did a few years ago.”

 

Mina added flashing a smile across to Jeongyoen

 

“Yeah… Yeah That’s what I meant to say”

 

Sana laughed but there was an obvious blush on her cheeks but it was nothing to the one Jeongyeon was sure she currently rocking. She pulled her noodles closer towards trying hard to avoid everyone gazes, her eyes focused solely on the bowl this mornings victory in the shower block was completely forgotten she ruined everything because she couldn’t control her stupid mouth and head around Sana who was now catching up with Mina who was fascinated with Sana’s tales of their shared homeland of Japan. 

 

“Oh Sungkyunkwan University, That’s where Jeongyeon goes”

 

“Really?”

 

Sana asked making eye contact with Jeongyeon who’d looked up at the mention of her name and her university, which wait Sana was going to be attending great she’d have three more years of more embarrassing moments but something else couldn’t help but think it was fate or something. Fate that Sana had returned her. Fate that they’d be at the same university. 

 

“I’m starting year late so I won’t know anyone. Maybe you could be my tour guide”

 

“Sure” Jeongyeon replied with a big hopefully not to eager grin. 

 

“What do you study again?”

 

Sana asked fluttering her eyelids as she spoke 

 

“Sports Science”

 

Sana laughed 

 

“Wow you really are sporty spice. Maybe that means I am Baby Spice?”

 

“Never doubt the brilliant mind of Park Jihyo”

 

Sana laughed gently patting Jeongyeon’s arm. 

 

“I’m studying Japanese Literature”

 

“Which is why you obviously did a year in Japan”

 

the two girls smiled at each other 

 

“Anyway I should probably take my cabin back…”

 

Sana turned to the girls sat around her 

 

“Right let’s head back girls. Bye Jeongyeon, Mina, Dahyun, Chaeng, Tzuyu. 

 

Dahyun waves as Sana left a huge smile on her face before turning to Jeongyeon 

 

“Wow”

 

“What”

 Jeongyeon replied pliling all there empty plates together 

 

“Your crush on Sana, its worst than when your were both still campers”

 

Jeongyeon sighed turning her back on Dahyun knowing fully well that as soon as she left her four members would start gossiping about her and Sana, which was just old friends catching up. Though Sana said she’s going to Sungkyunkwan University maybe there was a chance for Jeongyeon to turn this stupid crush into a relationship I mean Sana had been very touchy feely, Sana had always been like that though especially with Jeongyeon because she knew the old girl was completely comfortable with PDA even just between friends. Jeongyeon dumped the plates on the washing trolley and returned to the table they had moved to a new conversation topic Tzuyu’s dog Gucci. The conversation carried on all the way to cabin until Jeongyeon closed the door behind them. 

 

“sorry we brought up your crush on Sana”

 

Mina said flopping down on her bed 

 

“But you did call her y in front of a bunch of 14 year olds so we thought it was pretty obvious”

 

Jeongyeon laughed 

 

“I did, didn’t I? I’m such an Idiot.”

 

“you sure are.”

 

Tzuyu replied with a grin 

 

“… But I think she might like you back.”

 

All the girls agreed and started talking at once about how Sana had touched Jeongyeons arm and about the way she fluttered her eye lids when the two of them spoke

 

“Alright okay, enough”

 

Jeongyeon shouted stopping the girls, she wasn’t sure if this was an appropriate conversation to have with her cabin members, although the had been friends for a years prior to her becoming their camp counsellor. 

 

“I mean we did hold hands earlier as well”

 

“Wait? What?”

 

Dahyun squealed 

 

“We’re old friends though and Sana’s always been touchy feely.”

 

“True, but she’s always been a little bit extra touchy feely with you”

 

Mina added

 

“It might just be because she’s knows you’re not touchy feely or it’s because she likes you the most.”

 

Jeongyeon laughed 

 

“Mina, you’re meant to be the sane one in this cabin”

 

“Exactly”

 

Mina replied before climbing up onto the top bunk of the bed she was sharing with Chaeyoung, she then carefully placed her headphones over her ears, and that was the end of the conversation. Jeongyeon sighed and pulled out one of college textbooks she’d brought along with her. 

 

“Lights out in twenty minutes guys”

 

she called out before staring at a diagram in the book her mind in an entirely different place. She fell asleep the book resting on her chest and her head full of dreams of Sana liking her back. The two of them holding hand walking through the university campus, Sanas kisses no longer just on her cheeks, Sana wearing just a towel not at camp but in jeongyeon’s tiny dorm room…

 

Jeongyeon work up groggy the next morning the sun shining through the curtain she sat bolt upright and checked her phone it was 8:30 she’d slept in she was going to be in so much trouble with Jihyo and her cabin if they’d missed out breakfast 

 

“Morning” Tzuyu said without looking away from her mirror where she was doing her make up 

 

“Uh Morning” Jeongyeon replied rubbing her eyes. Mina handed her a coffee 

 

“Thanks”

 

she took a sip of the coffee it was perfect she felt the warm liquid slowly quacking her brain into motion she took another sip and another. pulling her back pack towards her 

 

“You guys have got music with Jihyo this morning. I’m gonna duck out find some food.”

 

Jeongyeon got her self ready in record time notbothering with make-up not that she ever wore much anyway and pulled her hair into two tiny pigtails she dropped the girls off with Jihyo explaining that she’d overslept which caused her oldest friend to break out into giggles before excusing her. Jeongyeon waved good bye to the girls and headed back towards the cabin she crawled back under her duvet and reopened her text book she was determined to study this time. she got half-way through the book before she head a knock at the door she jumped out of bed just as the door opened sheepishly Sana’s face staring back at her, her lips looking warm and inviting Jeongyeon quickly pushed that thought aside 

 

“Hi”

 

“Hi Sana”

 

“Jihyo told me too tell you lunch was ready”

 

“Uh thanks” Jeongyeon replied checking the time on her phone and heading towards the door.

 

“I didn’t see you at breakfast”

 

Sana said with a smile as the to headed across camp together

 

“I slept in”

 

“Jeongyeon the girl who wakes up a second after her alarm goes off slept in?“

 

Sana asked with raised eyebrows

 

“You’ve changed Jeongyeon”

 

the two girls laughed 

 

“For the better I hope”

 

Jeongyeon replied with a smirk Sana nodded in reply linking their arms together which was fine this was what Sana did and had always down with everyone. 

 

“I missed you Jeongyeon”

 

Jeongyeon didn’t say anything but she’d missed Sana too more than she was willing to admit, and now they’d be going to the same school. The two girls walked still arm in arm into the dining hall receiving a few raised eyebrows from Nayeon and Tzuyu. 

 

“You sit down I’ll get your food you must be starving”

 

Jeongyeon muttered out an thanks and watched as Sana walked across the hall. she sat down with Nayeon and Jihyo, the latter having suggested earlier that they went through their talent show plans at lunch today.

 

“Skipping two meals today?”

 

Nayeon asked before eating a chunk of carrot off her plate 

 

“Sana’s getting it for me”

 

Jihyo’s eyes went wide 

 

“Aww that’s so cute… Are you guys finally a thing? Can I be a Bridesmaid?”

 

Jeongyeon kicked her friend from underneath the table. 

 

“Shut up?”

 

Sana appeared next to her placing a plate down in front of Jeonyeon, Momo was following sheepishly behind her. 

 

“I spilt a bit” she said sliding on the bench her thigh resting against Jeongyeon’s

 

“That’s fine.” Jeongyeon replied shovelling food into she hadn’t realised how hungry she was until now. 

 

“Classic Sana”  Sana said with a giggle

 

“Wouldn’t want you any other way.”

 

Jeongyeon replied wrapping her arm round the younger girls shoulder who in turn placed her and on top of Jeongyeon’s it was any thing extreme just the kind of friendly affection one came to expect from sitting so close to Sana.

 

“I was just telling Jeongyeon how much she’s changed in two years”

 

Sana said dressing the rest of the table her hand still on top of jeongyeons who was looking around at the reaction of her friends

 

“She’s so girly now”

 

Nayeon replied with a smirk 

 

“Not girly. Mature, womanly, feminim” 

 

Jeongyeon replied moving away from Sana and point her fork violently at Nayeon 

 

“Not girly”

 

She repeated before returning to her dinner she was aware of the fact that Sana kept throwing glances at her as they ate she looked up meeting her eyes and smiled. Once they’d finished eating Jihyo pulled out her clip board at there was a collective sigh from around their group where was she hiding these things, she went to explained they’d be having a “dress rehearsal” for the talent show another sigh passed Jeongyeon lips. She wasn’t sure why Jihyo was going all out with this the talent show was meant to be for the kids not for them though the chance of getting revenge on Dahyun for beating her a few years ago with that stupid eagle dance was a pretty good motive.   

 

“We’ve got less than a week, to make it perfect”

 

Jihyo said addressing the group. 

 

The rest of lunch past uneventfully Momo talked for about 20 minuets about how she thought she’d be bitten by mosquito and Jeongyeon was pretty happy she was just the dance teacher, it turned out Momo knew Sana in Japan and that’s why she’d applied for the position. Momo was also incredibly pretty which made Jeongyeon wonder what exactly was in the water in Japan too make their girls this way. When dinner finished they all stood up to leave and Sana linked arms with Jeongyeon again as they headed to find their cabins 

 

“You don’t flinch away when I hold your hand anymore”

 

Sana said with a giggle

 

“No I guess I don’t” 

 

Jeongyeon said who despite no longer wanting to hide every time Sana showed her affection still had to deal with the fact that it made her feel like her heart was going to explode, Jeongyeon knew that maybe one of these reason she’d never been able to tell Sana her feelings for all of those years was because of that fear or that her abruptness had pushed the other girl away, given her the wrong idea. Jeongyeon wanted Sana to link there arms she wanted Sana to place kisses on her cheeks she’d alway wanted it and she wasn’t going to hide that anymore.