Episode 5

   « Produce 99 »   « Cancelled »
CHAPTER 05
aired: oct 12 2018
 

There is an aerial shot of the big CJ E&M studio building. Inside is a scene reminiscent of the very first episode: a tiered pyramid rows of numbered seats on them, unveiled with the most dramatic display of lights possible. There are simple plastic ones with the numbers 53 to 10 on them, and then there are the big fancy pink ones for 9 to 8. Finally, at the very top of the pyramid, there is the big #1 chair.

Only the #1 through #53 will survive tonight.

In front of the pyramid, this time, are 99 more plastic seats, this time each with the name of one of the contestants on it. There they will sit, drowning in nerves, before their name may or may not be called to claim one of the numbered seats to stay in the competition.

Who will survive and who will be eliminated?

 
 
 
 
 

Girls start coming in, grouped by their company. First is Cube’s Min Hwari, hair a re-touched cotton candy pink. She mimes shooting an arrow. “Cube-id Chu!” Then she laughs at her own ridiculousness and quickly jogs to her seat and sits down.

The Starship girls are next, and they all make a star like the Naekkoya choreography. “Starship represent!” Mosu was shining with a new blonde hair colour while Haeun had cut her hair into a bob and dyed it a stark black, a much more eye catching style than her long brown hair had been.

“Banjjak banjjak,” Lucy sings, doing the Gee dance, stretching her arms out. “Lucy imnidaaa!” Her Korean already sounds a little bit better as she grins and runs to her seat.

More and more girls come in. Ming Fen (Woollim) just comes in quickly, sending a shy smile at the camera. The YNB girl just wave, with Juri now sporting wispy shoulder-length hair, still the same strawy blonde as before.

The Urban Works girls come in legion as all 8 of them line up and punch their fists into the air. “Urban Works fighting!”

The Sony Japan girls from waved at the seated girls. “Aannyeonghaseyo!” They say. “We’re back!” The seated girls scream at the usage of Korean and Midori laughs a little embarrassed as they take their seats. Yuki immediately reaches out for Gong Sohyun (Urban Works) as they clasp hands.

The independent girls come in together and Bitna stands out  with a striking new look, her hair is now dyed a jet black. They each struck an exaggerated body builder pose, with Inree looking plain awkward doing it. “Independent power!

Gaeul came in, pulled her chin back into her neck, and said “Pick me pick me pick me up” in the deepest creepiest man voice she could make after which she winked with a cringey amount of aegyeo and most of the girls in the chairs died laughing.

Han Moonae and Ha Bada just shot hearts at the other girls, Bada a lot more naturally than Moonae who looked really embarrassed at the fanservice.

The Plan A girls each stood in a row. “P!” Taeri made something resembling a P with her arms. “L!” Sunmi made an L. “A!” Sunisa made a an A. “N!” Haneul made an N. “A!” Jinri rounded it out with a last A. “PLAN A!”

Next up was the four Brand New Music girls, and the girls already seated gasp at the sight of Na Chaerin’s now bright orange bob. They each struck an elegant pose making a crown over their heads with their hands. “Brand New Music, here to conquer!”

The MLD girls take a firm stand, legs apart and hands on their hips.

“Moon!” Girim  reaches up with one hands, fingers splayed.

“Love!” Yona follows her.

“Dreams!” Jinsil follows only a tiny bit grudgingly.

“Maaaake up!” They all pose in a perfect imitation of Sailor Moon’s transformation pose while the other girls laugh.

And then the entrances are over and the reality of the situation sets in. Girls are shown fidgeting nervously, waiting for the eliminations to start. Taeri reaches out to Hwari and they do a quick ‘cross’. “Pinky promise fighting,” Taeri whispers. Haneul gives her an amused side-eye.

“Pinky promise fighting!” Hwari returns.

“I’m scared,” Shin Areum (BNM) reaches out to Gaeul (SM). “We have to at least make the second round, right?”

And then Woo Chanhee comes into the studio and the girls cheer. He bows towards the camera. “I’m Woo Chanhee, the representative of the National Producers, at your service!” He turns towards the girls. “Welcome back!” He takes a deep breath. “Are you ready for everything today will entail?”

 
 
 
 
 

“Becoming an idol is not an easy road,” he starts, the sad music setting the tone for a dramatic start. “As some of you know, I debuted in the group Aeon back in 2010. It was a hard road to success for us, release after release was a flop until we were pressed into an early hiatus and the company gave up on us.” He pauses for effect as the camera finds Lucy, the girl sent by his former company Helix. “What I learned during that time,” Chanhee continues. “Is to never give up on my dreams. I kept trying, I went to every acting audition that would have me and I tried and tried and tried and I never gave up. Eventually, my big break arrived in the form of Reply 1997, do you know that drama?”

“Yes!” Most girls in the audience shout back at him.

Chanhee laughs. “Good! That means I was successful!” He smiles once and gets serious again. “The entertainment industry is a hard place. Some people make it, and others don’t. All of it is luck and determination, but all we need is a break. For some of you this program will be that break, for others it will only be a step on your journey. Today I want you to remember your dreams, to keep them in mind no matter what happens. Even if it’s the end for you on the program, keep trying, keep your goal in sight because you will find your break.”

The girls are serious now, too. The camera finds Jeon Taeri (Plan A), still with her pink hair, swallowing nervously. Bang Hyowon (C9) nods tensely at Chanhee’s words, hands buried in her pink skirt.

“I heard that there are more than a million trainees,” Ahn Minji (MMO) says in what looks like an interview from before the show. She’s dressed in casual clothes and wearing minimal makeup. “How can I hope to be enough?”

“I’ve been training for 8 years now,” Rachel Oh (Top Media) says. “And still I don’t think my company has any plans to debut me.”

“I was in a debut team,” Lexi Park (BNM) says. “Back in JYP I was so close to debut, but it was cancelled. And then I injured my ankle right before Sixteen… To come so close twice…”

“I was a trainee a long time ago,” Lee Inree (Independent) says. She’s dressed in a tidy blouse and jeans, hair put up in a meticulous twist. “I didn’t think I’d ever debut and I lost sight of my dream. I’m not sure if I should try again but… but I want to. I want to at least try again, just one more time.”

I’ve never been included in an A-side before,” Ito Chiyo (Sony Japan) says. “I’m always delegated to a B-side.

“I thought that once I’d debut everything would be okay,” Kim Kyungmi (YNB) says. “But everything just got harder…”

“Everyone in this industry has faced hardships,” Chanhee continues back on the stage. “There are many scars formed on the road to the top, but we should let them bring us together, not divide us. Things will not be easy if you are eliminated here today, and thing will not be easy if you stay on the show, but good things come to those who persevere.

-xx-

“So, what are we doing here today?” Chanhee asks.

“Ranking Announcement!” The girls call back.

“That’s right! Today we will reveal the ranking as determined by the National Producers.” Chanhee points to the chairs behind him. “When I call your name today, you get to take a seat in one of those chairs. If your name isn’t called then you will have to go back to your company and your Produce adventure will be over. Now the rankings today are based on the online voting, as well as the 4000 extra votes each member of the winning team from last week’s battles will receive.” He pauses and grins. “Do you want to know the total amount of votes?”

“Yes!”

“In total, 21,057,810 votes have been cast.”

There are gasps from the girls, some of them very exaggerated.

“To the National Producers,” Chanhee continues. “Thank you for the love and support you have given through your votes. I will announce which girls will see the benefit of it.”

There’s a pan of the girls as some of them are holding hands or clutching each other with nerves.

“We will start with those who have barely escaped elimination,” Chanhee says. “And placed 52nd to 40th. The one who took the very last spot, the 53rd, will be revealed at the very end.” He pauses for dramatic. “First, rank #52. Based on the last revealed rank of this trainee, I’m sure she will be very relieved to receive this position. She astounded everyone with her surprisingly y center, with 108,438 is Urban Works’..... Moon Soomi!”

Her face shows pure relief a the other Urban Works girls huge her and she quickly squeezes the hands of Ahn Minji (MMO), Lee Yujin (CT), and Jung Haneul (Plan A) who were in the Step team with her. A graph shows that her last revealed rank was 79th.

“That’s such a jump,” Won Seoyun (Starship) whispers to Im Mosu next to her. It’s revealed that Soomi's last known rank was #85.

Mosu grabs her hand and gives it a squeeze. “That means anything can happen unnie.”

Soomi makes her way to the stage and is made to stand in the space next to Chanhee where the first batch of girls will stand in line and say some words before allowed to sit on their chairs. Her legs are visibly shaking.

“The #51 rank goes to another girl who managed to convince the National Producers of her talent with her battle performance. C9’s Bang Hyowon!”

Hyowon smiles in relief as she gets up and high fives the waiting hands of the other Mr Mr girls. Taeri, especially, beams with pride as Hyowon takes her place on the stage, having gone up from 55 to 53!

“During the group battle the #50 trainee performed To My Boyfriend,” Chanhee continues. The camera pans to BBC’s Eunbi (last know rank #75) and Jisoo (74)  who are holding hands, then to SidusHQ’s Park Hyedam (#94), and finally to the young Kim Saebom (#45) who is clinging to labelmate Youri for dear life. “It is… Urban Works’ Kim Saebom!”

Saebom’s face lights up at the news and the other Urban Works girls quickly embrace her in cogratulations. When she gets onto the platform Soomi quickly gives her a high five before she lines up next to Hyowon.

“The next girl was the leader in her group,” Chanhee says. “And she did an excellent job. She rose up from the impossible rank of #98, at #49 it’s Jung Haneul!”

Haneul lets out a squeal before plastering her hands over , eyes wide. Taeri and Sunisa have already attacked her with hugs. Tears start escaping her eyes as she walks past the other Step girls, Yujin (CT) and Minji (MMO) who both congratulate her. She looks like she’s about to break down, standing in line on the platform, but she keeps it together, hands shaking.

“I will now announce the girl at #48. MLD’s Ji Yona, please take your place on the stage.” Girim’s face splits into a grin and Yona timidly gets off her seat and makes her way to the platform. “Trainee Ji Yona showed a different side of herself, performing the girl crush song Bad Girl Good Girl, and captured the hearts of the national producers.” A graph shows that Yona is down from #47 to #48, but that doesn’t seem to bother her in the slightest.

“Next up is #47! This girl was the main vocalist of her group… That trainee is Rachel Oh!” Chanhee announces. She grins and jumps up from her chair and makes it onto the platform.

“Onto #46,” Chanhee says. “Here is another girl from the Rough team.”

Jinsil is shown, hands clasped with Girim. “It’s gonna be you this time,” Girim whispers. “I can feel it.”

“Kang Chaerin, please take your rightful place on the stage!” Chanhee announces. Kang Chaerin gets up and casts a guilty look at Jinsil before taking her place next to Rachel who grins at her.

“The trainee at #45 wasn’t chosen for a team, she was one of the leftover trainees who were grouped together.”

“It’s you,” Seulgi (WM) whispers to Jisun next to her. All three of the WM trainees are holding hands and Jisun is clasping them so tightly they look white.

“Maki,” Kim Eunbi (BBC) nudges the girl next to her. “Take your spot.” Meanwhile behind them Fujioka Mai (Avex Trax) is pointing at herself looking right into the camera.

“That trainee is… Yong Jisun!”

Jisun collapses in on herself. “Oh thank god,” she whispers before Seulgi gives her a nudge.

“Despite not being chosen for a team, Jisun proved herself when she took on the main vocal role for Love Whisper when nobody else could do it,” Chanhee says with a fond smile. “Good job, Jisun.”

“The trainee at #44 was the center of her group,” Chanhee announces. Seulrin (Maroo), the center of Like Ooh Ahh (Japanese Ver.) team is shown with her hands together, and overlay revealing she was #39 last ranking. Shin Areum (BNM) is also shown with eyes pinched shut, holding the hands of Na Chaerin and Lexi next to her. “Jeon Taeri!” A few chairs over Taeri’s eyes widen and she lets out a breath of relief.

As she walks past the still equally pink Hwari she gets tackled into a hug. “Congratulations!” Hwari says, laughing happily. “I’m so glad you made it!”

Taeri grins. “Me too! Pinky promise!”

And then it’s time for the next one. “The trainee at #43 is Cre.Ker’s Hong Gayoung.” Chanhee smiles impishly when Gayoung looks like a deer in the headlights after the sudden announcement.

“That’s you!” Jeongha laughs gives her a little push. “Go!”

Gayoung smiles, still a little dazed, and makes her way up to the stage.

The trainee at #42 is Japanese,” Chanhee says in Japanese. Both the Sony Japan and Avex Trax girls are shown perking up at their native language. Mai is pointing at herself again, willing Chanhee to say her name. “Sony Japan’s Ito Chiyo!” Chanhee announces. “Come join the others on the stage.”

Chiyo grins and quickly hugs Midori before all but running onto the stage..

“The next trainee was an irreplaceable help to her team,” Chanhee continues. “ at #41 is Starship’s Moon Chaewon!”

“Yes!” It’s Mosu who cheers the loudest, throwing the hand that’s still holding Chaewon’s into the air. Chaewon laughs a little embarrassed and quickly makes her way to the stage.

“From #40 onwards the contests have received more than 200k votes each,” Chanhee says, the the appropriate oohs and woah’s from the girls. “The next trainee really made a splash as a center,” Chanhee goes on to announce the next one. “Sidus HQ’s Woo Reni!”

Reni smiles and hugs the other Sidus girls, who look bittersweet at her departure to the stage.

“So!” Chanhee looks at the row of trainees standing next to him. “Here is our first batch of trainees! Are you are relieved to be standing here? Soomi, how are you feeling?”

“I’m about to fall over!” Soomi says, wobbling her knees for effect. “I really didn’t think I would be here today, thank you so so so much for voting for me!”

“Ji Yona!” Chanhee moves along. “How did you manage the girl crush concept?”

“With difficulty,” she says, laughing embarrassedly. “I really want to show you a cute innocent stage next time!”

“Can you show us your cute innocent side?”

“Eeeh.” Yona looks away before turning back with a charming. She makes a heart with her hands. “Please vote for me, chu~”

“TAKE ALL MY LOVE!” Girim yells from her chair.

Yona laughs so hard she snorts just a little. “Omo!” She covers .

Chanhee just watches like it’s a trainwreck he can’t turn away from. “That was… I think I’m definitely going to look forward to your next performance. Chiyo, is there anything you want to say.”

“Yes!” Chiyo dig into her pocket and retrieves a folded note. “Thank you so much for this opp… opportunity,” her Korean pronunciation is very shaky but she’s doing her best. “This is the first time I have ever felt like a star, a real star, in my 5 years as an idol. Thank you so much for letting me feel that feeling.” She bows deeply at the camera. “Produce 99, fighting!”

“A great note to end on. Here are our #52 to #40!” As Chanhee finishes his line the girls all walk up the pyramid and take their seats on the lowest tier.



“I will now announce #39 to #30,” Chanhee says. “At #39 we have one of the Brand New Girls.” the camera shows the four of them holding hands. “Choi Juyeon! Come on up here!”

“Aaah it’s me!!!” She hugs all the BNM girls in one sweep

“Aah unnie I can’t breathe!” Areum waves her arms.

“You’ll be up soon, I know it!” Juyeon says. “All of you. Brand New Music fighting!”

“The girl at #38 was in in team Very Very Very,” Chanhee says.

What did he say?” Takayami Sora (Avex Trax) asks Mai next to her.

Very Very, isn’t that you?” Mai whispers back.

“Avex Trax’ Takayami Sora!” Chanhee announces. “Congratulations!

Sora’s eyes widen as she breaks out into a smile and makes her way to the stage.

“Onto the next girl! Who can deny that the SNSD battle was one of the best battles of that night?” Chanhee asks. “Not the national producers who votes this girl to #37…”

“Im Sungsook and Ha Bada were both low, weren’t they?” Seulrin whispers. Indeed both girl are shown on screen and their previous ranks were #46 and #44 respectively.

“It’s… FNC’s…” Chanhee draws it out and Sungsook looks ready to spring out of her chairs. “Go Yoonseo!”

Sungsook gets up a little bit before she realizes that it’s not her, looking suitably embarrassed. Yoonseo looks surprised too, perhaps because she didn’t expect to drop 10 ranks, but then she smiles and hugs the other FNC girls.

“Our #36 girl is another trainee from Brand New Music, looks like you were right Juyeon,” Chanhee glances at the side where Juyeon lets out a YEAH! “But who shall it be?”

“I really hope it’s Areum,” Jung Gaeul whispers to Bada (EM) next to her.

“This girl showed off her rap chops in Boombayah, Na Chaerin, get in line there!”

Chaerin, too, hugs both Lexi and Areum before running off to the podium.

“Our next contestant is a girl with a lot of idol experience,” Chanhee says. “Someone who’s just looking for a second chance, and it looks like the National Producers have granted her this! At #35 we is YNB’s Lee Juri.”

Juri’s expression doesn’t change much as she gets up, which is on par with how her face usually is. She does glance at Kyungmi and Liling and one might find a sliiight twitch of a frown there before she makes her way to the stage and lines up next to Na Chaerin.

“The next trainee has made a significant climb to #34,” Chanhee announces. “It’s EM’s Ha Bada!”

Bada squeals, jumps up, almost trips over her chair, and hugs a little reluctant-looking Han Moonae first and a broadly grinning Jung Gaeul second, making Chanhee laugh at her enthusiasm. “Come on up here, Bada!”

“For our 33rd trainee we have another leader,” Chanhee says. “It wasn’t smooth sailing for her, but she managed to pull her team through and win the round. At #33 we have WM’s Chae Seulgi!”

Seulgi looks a little bashful and disappointed when she gets up. It’s revealed that she dropped 8 ranks from her last one.

“The next trainee was the main vocal of her group-”

Gong Sohyun (Urban Works) leans over to Ahn Minji. “It could be you,” she whispers.

Minji shakes her head, twin pigtails flying. “It’s too late for that, I’m done for.”

“At #32 is FNC’s Jang Miyoung!” Chanhee announces.

Miyoung’s eyes widen before she jumps up and runs to Kim Yeeun  for a hug. “I made it!” she says.

“You did!” Yeeun hugs her back. “You did so well!”

Miyoung all but runs onto the stage, hugging Yoonseo there as well before taking her place next to Seulgi, bouncing on her toes with excitement.

“Trainee #31 is another girl who made her name with a SNSD song,” Chanhee says. “That trainee is… FNC’s Im Sungsook!”

Sungsook lets out a breath of relief before composing herself, smiling and shaking hand with the other FNC girls there before moving on to the stage and high-fiving Yoonseo and Miyoung in the process.

“And the final girl in this batch received more than 300k votes. It’s Pledis’ Shin Kayeon at #30.”

Kayeon looks surprised before the expression is changes to disappointment. An overlay reveals that her last known rank was #19, 11 places removed from her current position.

“Do you have something to say, Go Yoonseo?” Chanhee asks.

Yoonseo: “I’m reading all your comments and I’m going to do my best to be worthy of your votes!”

She gets onto her knees and bows deeply to the floor. “Thank you so much.”

“You read the comments online?” Chanhee asks, with an expression akin to why on earth would you do that to yourself you dumb dumb??

“Every night!” Miyoung says. “I wake up to get a drink at 3AM and I see this suspicious glow coming from under her blanket.”

“I just want to stay informed!” Yoonseo defends herself.

“As your leader I can safely say you could use more sleep and less being informed,” Sungsook said with a smirk.

Yoonseo crosses her arms. “You’re not the boss of me when you’re asleep.”

“Juri, how do you feel?” Chanhee asks, getting things back on track before a World War FNC breaks out.

“Good,” Juri says.

Chanhee waits for her to say something more but she just looks expectantly at him if there’s anything more he wants to say. Chanhee laughs. “Okay, a woman of few words it is.”

“I am” she confirms, face hardly even twitching a muscle unless it’s absolutely necessary.

“How about you send the National Producers a real true smile?” Chanhee asks. “To show how much their votes mean to you.”

Juri nods stoically before she breaks out into the most charming of smiles. If you didn’t know her you might think she was a perfectly expressive and charming idol. She gives a bow. “Thank you so much for your votes, being here and getting this second chance means the world to me. Every time I make it through another round I will give you my best smile.” She shows her smile off again before her face reverts back to its expressionlessness.

“That’s enough smiling for today.” Chanhee nods, no smile on his face either.

Juri nods back. “I will see you next eliminations.”

Chanhee laughs. “The #39 through #30 trainees, please seat yourself.” The girls climb the stairs and sit down onto the next tier of chairs.
 


 

“Time to announce #29 to #20!” Chanhee says. “It’s going quickly, isn’t it? Does any of you remember what rank Pledis’ Kim Nayoung was in the first elimination round?”

“24!” some of the girls shout back.

“What about Brand New Music’s Park Woojin?”

“24!” they shout back again.

“That’s a number to watch then, isn’t it?” Chanhee grins. But for now, there is #29. This girl is a trainee who, miraculously, went from F to A and impressed everyone with her center performance. #29 is MMO’s Park Dain!”

“Thank you thank you thank you!” she jumps up and starts doling out hugs before Han Moonae (EM) shoos her up to the stage.

“Go go go!” Moonae says. “You’re keeping him waiting!”

Dain quickly runs up to the platform and laughs sheepishly. Chanhee just looks amused at the whole thing.

“This girl was praised for her strong looks,” is the next hint.

“Do you think that’s Hyemi?” Ryu Haesung (Independent) whispers. “I really hope that’s Hyemi.”

“Maybe it’s Areum?” Inree whispers back.

Areum, meanwhile, looks like a mess, hands folded and eyes watery.

“At #28 FNC’s Park Jaeeun!” Chanhee announces. Jaeeun rises with a confident but grateful smile, walking towards the podium with dignity. Areum’s lip starts quivering.

“The next trainee is a girl who was very well-received at the group battles,” Chanhee continues. “She ended in the top 9 of the night.”

“Hyemi?” Haesung asks again.

“Could it be Midori?” Mosu whispers. “Or maybe Yuki?”

#27 goes to Sony Japan’s Tanaka Yuki,” Chanhee announces. “Yuki won the hearts of the National Producers with her cute expressions and her hard work.”

Yuki runs to Sohyun and gives her a tight hug. “Congratulations, girl!” Sohyun beams. Then Yuki reluctantly lets go and makes her way to the platform.

“The trainee who got to rank #26 is one of the very youngest here,” Chanhee says. “Brave’s Aihara Yuka managed to make an impression despite her age and lack of experience.”

Yuka’s face falls for a second, seemingly not expecting to drop 15 places, but she composes herself and smiles and takes her place next to Yuki.

“At #25 we have… Rainbow Bridge World’s Seo Bitna.” Bitna breathes out a breath of relief and makes her way to the stage while Chanhee continues his MCing spiel. “She is an excellent dancer with a generous heart.”

“Ad here is our special #24! The next girl captured hearts with her bright demeanor despite the fact that she’s an F girl through and through,” Chanhee says. “It's TS Entertainment’s Yang Taeyoung!

The girl squeals as she jumps up from her chair. She continues squealing as she goes past each of the Wee Woo teams and gives them tight hugs. “AAAAH! I MADE IT!” Even when she’s on stage she’s jogging in place and can’t stand still.

Chanhee laughs at the sight of her. “Are you okay, Taeyoung?”

“I’m ready for the next round!” she answers and settles down a little. “I’m so happy!”

#23 is a girl know for her visuals and her graceful dancing. She was the leader of her team which managed to bring in a win with a stellar performance.”

“Is it Jeongha?” Ahn Minji (MMO) leans in and asks her sister, Nami.

Nami shakes her head. “We didn’t win,” she whispers back. “It can’t be.”

“Pledis’ Han Siryung, pleae come forward.” Siryung smiles gracefully and gets up onto the stage.

“The next trainee was also the leader of her team, even if she had a rather hard time with it,” Chanhee says. “But she persevered and worked hard and earned the loyalty of her members.” He smiles. “#22 i Cre.Ker’s Yang Jeongha.”

Jeongha doubles down with relief and before she knows it the other Love Whisper girls have sprung from their seats and piled on top of her. The camera catches Jisun, already in one of the platform seats, grin proudly as well. Jeongha cries as she hugs them all. “Don’t cry unnie,” Nami says. “You made it!”

Jeongha nods, sniffles, and wipes the tears from her eyes. “We did good,” she says.

“We did great,” Nami smiles.

“At #21 we have a girl who dazzled everyone with her visuals,” Chanhee announces the next trainee. “As center of her team, she showed the public the extend of her beauty, which shouldn’t surprise anyone considering her name. Brand New Music’s Shin Areum, it’s you!”

Areum’s eyes widen and her whole face and body freezes like that, hands on her heart. Then she collapses in her seat before shakily getting up and to the stage, tears falling from her face.

“And the last girl in this batch was an unexpected breakout! After the battles many people said they suddenly found a girl to root for they had never noticed before,” Chanhee says. “This girl, at #20, managed to win their heart with one performance and jump leaps ahead..”

“Is it Kyungmi?” Soyu (FNC) whispers to Yeji. “I really hope it’s Kyungmi.

“That has to be Hyemi, right?” Na Chaerin (BNM) asks Moon Soomi (Urban Works) sitting on the tier in front of her. “Please be her. Please please please.”

“Seung Hyemi!” Chanhee says and he’s wearing a big proud grin. “You really made a splash! You deserve it.”

Hyemi almost falls from her chair in shock. “20th?? Really??”

Chanhee grins. “Really!”

Hyemi runs in place. “I can’t believe it!” She runs to her spot on the podium, high fiving anyone who sticks their arm out on the way.

“So, here we are, our next batch of survivers,” Chanhee says. “Taeyoung, what is your goal for the next round?”

“Sunisa unnie was the superstar last time,” Taeyoung says. “But next time I’m going to work hard and be the superstar myself, if you don’t mind.”

“Areum, are you doing okay?” Chanhee asks with concern.

At the very end of the line Areum is still crying, lip pouting as her face is covered in tears. She nods. “Y-yes,” she stammers with a little voice crack.

“Do you want to say something?”

“T-thank you s-so m-much.” Areum wipes the tears from her cheek but more just replace them. “I d-didn’t think I was g-going to get chosen!” An overlay on the screen shows exactly why, her previous known rank was #49, hardly a safe position to be in. “I know that I still lack a lot, thank you for giving me the opportunity to work harder and show m-more of myself.”

Hyemi looks a little awkward but she steps forward and pulls the girl into a hug. “It’s okay, you’re here,” she says, sending a look at the camera that clearly means get help.

 



“Now before we continue with our eliminations, it’s time for a little break, don’t you think?” Chanhee asks.

The Top 9 visual centers, as chosen by the trainees!

Midori enters a small room with circular portraits of all of the contestants plastered on bright pink and purple walls. “What’s this?” she asks. “Why are all of our portraits here? Oh look, there’s me!” She points at her portrait and mimics the pose. “Oh, it’s Mosu!” she points at another portrait. “She’s so cute. And Seoyun too!

You pick one!” a staff says off-screen. “Pick the prettiest girl.

What?! How can I choose?!” She walks around and looks at all of the portraits.

It cuts to Girim in the room, who’s having an equally hard time with it. “Aaah, it’s so hard!”

Another cut to Lucy, staring wide-eyed at all of the girls’ faces on the walls. “I don’t know. I don’t know anything anymore. What is life. Who am I? What’s my name? What’s your name? Oh! What’s your name, wha-what’s your name! Ireumi mwohaeyo~
 

Who will be the visual center?

Park Dain is shown first, she’s holding a circular portrait in her hands but it’s facing away from the camera. “Who I picked? Oh wouldn’t you like to know,” she grins. “Okay fine, because you insist. I choooose….” she turns the portrait around and it’s Cube’s Min Hwari. “Hwari! She’s sooooo cute with that pink hair and her smile, I love her.”

“Her hair looks like cotton candy,” Girim says, totally serious, holding Hwari’s portrait. “I want to eat it all.”

Taeri chose Hwari as well. “Pink has to support pink,” she says.

“Aaaah!” Hwari is covering her face with her hands. “I can’t believe they chose me!” She uncovers her face and smiles her most charming smile, before breaking it again from embarrassment. “This is so awkward, but thank you!”



#9 is Cube’s Min Hwari!

 

“I chose Gaeul.” Lee Jungwha (TS), Aihara Yuka (Brave), and Shin Areum (BNM) are all shown answering the exact same thing.

“Her chin is so sharp,” Ha Bada (EM) says. “You could cut with that chin.”

“She looks very charming,” Kim Jinri (Plan A) says. “You just want to be pulled in by that smile, you know? I think she made the perfect center.

“Thank you so much for picking me!” Gaeul says, smiling that charming smile. “Naekkoy~”


#8 is SM’s Jung Gaeul!
 
 

“My visual center is Seung Hyemi!” Yang Taeyoung (TS) holds up the portrait. “She’s so nice but then she starts dancing and her eyes are magnetic. So fierce!”

“She has such nice lips,” Woo Reni (SidusHQ) says. “Is that a weird thing to say?”

Hyemi-chan is so pretty and tall,” Ito Chiyo (Sony Japan) says. “She’s both beautiful and strong. I feel like she could do anything.

She just looks so alive,” Lucy (Helix) says. “She’s hot!”

“I mean, have you seen Bombayah?” Na Chaerin (BNM) asks. “It’s Hyemi all the way.”



#7 is Urban Works’ Seung Hyemi!
 

“I vote for Song Liling!” Chae Seulgi (WM) holds up the portrait. “Look at her!”

“She’s so nice and so pretty, like perfectly pretty,” Choi Juyeon (BNM) says. “I think her face is, like, perfectly symmetrical. Is that even possible?”

“I don’t know why Paradise was never popular with a girl like that,” Hwang Jiho (Independent) shakes her head. “It’s a shame!”


#6 is YNB’s Song Liling!
 

“I mean, her name means beauty,” Jang Miyoung (FNC) says, holding up a portrait of Shin Areum. “Do I need another reason?”

“She looks so fresh,” Park Jaeeun (FNC) says. “She looks so charming and youthful. She looks like a pretty little sister.”

“She really impressed me in Peekaboo,” Han Maeri (CT) says. “She’s really good with expressions that just make her look even prettier.”

"How could I deny her?" Jung Gaeul (SM) asks. "She's so charismatic but still looks so innocent and pure." 

"There’s a girl that could sell CFs,” Bang Yemi (CT) says. “She has that whole relatable pretty teen thing going on!”


#5 is BNM’s Shin Areum!

 

“I vote for Han Siryung!” Park Gido (KQ) holds the portrait up.

She looks like a doll!” Amano Midori (Sony Japan) says. “And her ballet skills just make her more beautiful. I wish I could carry myself with that much grace.”

“I’m not just voting for her because she’s Pledis,” Shin Kayeon (Pledis) says. “Siryung is both beautiful and graceful.”

Jang Soyu (FNC) chose Siryung as well. “I think she’s absolutely stunning, her eyes are so big and intense! I think she could be both really y and really cute.”

“Thank you~” Siryung does a graceful little bow.


#4 is Pledis’ Han Siryung!

 

“There’s something pure about Midori,” Won Seoyun (Starship) says. “My visual center is Amano Midori.”

“I’m pretty dark,” Yoon Goeun (SidusHQ) says. “But she’s so pretty and pale, her skin is like porcelain.”

“She’s so graceful,” Ahn Minji (MMO) says. “So poised and composed like nothing will phase her.

I used to watch videos of Nogizaka46,” Takayami Sora (Avex Trax) says. “Of course it’s Amano Midori, she’s so pretty!

#3 is Sony Japan’s Amano Midori! 
 

“My visual center is Lucy!” Seung Hyemi (Urban Works) says. “She’s so pretty and full of energy!”

“Her skin is so white and she has the really big double eyelids,” Gong Sohyun (Urban Works) says.

“She has international appeal!” Ryu Haesung (Independent) says. “She looks exotically pretty. Like you could just see her lounging in New York- or eh- not lounging, I don’t think Lucy ever lounges…”

“I think she just looks very pretty in this really energetic way,” Hwari says. “She has the features and the spirit!”

“She’s just so cute!” Im Sungsook (FNC) does. “Her energy is infectuous even if I have no idea what she’s saying half the time.”

“If you were to make Lucy…” Go Yoonseo (FNC) thinks for a moment. “You would start with a lot of sparkles and add some rainbows and a lot of beauty essence… and because you were trying to make the perfect person you’d reach for the intelligence and poise bottles but you’d mess up and accidentally grab ditz and energy and as you were pouring that you’d get bitten by a wasp and the shock would make you dump the whole content of the energy bottle into the cauldron and VOICE! Lucy is born! A beautiful hot mess!”

“It’s me?” Lucy asks, eyes wide with surprise, actually using Korean. “Third? Me? That’s crazy! C R A Z Y!”


#2 is Helix’ Lucy King!

 

Choi Bitna is shown taking instant strides towards one of the portraits. “There’s no doubts,” she says, and holds up the portait: it’s Ming Fen. “She’s a classic beauty.”

“My mom told me to vote for Fen,” Mosu (Starship) laughs sheepishly. “She called me and said ‘you make sure you vote for that pretty Chinese girls!!!’ So here I am, mom! I’m voting for the pretty Chinese girl!”

“She looks like Tzuyu!” Kim Kyungmi (YNB) says.

There’s a cut to Fen sining “What is Love~”, she tries to do the ? dance but doesn’t realize she has to do the mirror image so it’s totally flipped.

“She looks so innocent and pure,” Seo Bitna (RBW) says.

“She looks the same with or without makeup on,” Han Moonae (EM) says. “I can’t even tell the different, she probably wakes up pretty.”

“Everything about her is pretty! Her hair, her nose, her face, even her height is pretty!” Yong Jisun (WM) sounds like she’s having a meltdown. “Everything!!”

“She’s the prettiest,” Lee Juri (YNB) says it like it’s the oldest fact in the universe. “Objectively she is.”

“Thank you so much for choosing me!” Fen smiles.



Woollim’s Ming Fen is chosen as the #1 Produce99 visual center!!


-xx-
 

And with that small diversion we dive right back into the eliminations!

“We’re getting real close to the end now,” Chanhee says. “Time to announce ranks #19 to #10! The next trainee has both visuals and charm, and it’s a miracle how the nation hasn’t been able to see it in her years as a debuted idol before, #19 is YNB’s Song Liling.”

Liling smiles and hugs Kyungmi before moving on to Fen further down the line and taking her spot.

“As for #18, it’s independent trainee Lee Inree!” Inree smiles when she gets and moves to the platform while Chanhee continues. “She is the very oldest contestant here, but that doesn’t mean she can’t keep up!”

“The next girl was the main vocal of her team, which might surprise those who knew her before. She proved to herself and the nation that she has what it takes to be the main vocal. #17 is YNB’s Kim Kyungmi!”

“Oh thank god,” It’s FNC’s Soyu who mutters it before getting out of her seat to hug the stunned Kyungmi.

“That’s me,” she says.

Soyu laughs. “Yes, girl, that’s you! Get up there!”

Liling is waiting for her up on the podium and hugs her excitedly. “Look at us!” she says.

Kyungmi grins back. “Look at us.”

“Next we have another independent trainee,” Chanhee says and the camera lingers on Yoonbyul and Haesung, both tense. “This girl is a talented singer with swag to boot, Haesung whistled like a missle and captured the rank of #16!”

“At #15 we have a Starship girl,” Chanhee says. “And one doing her company proud. She showed off her impressive vocals in her battle and impressed even the coaches with her skills. Park Haeun, come take your place on the stage.”

Haeun smiles a cocky little lopsided smile as she gets up, congratulated by the rest of the Starship girls still there (though Mosu looks a little reluctant about it). Fen is shown smiling proudly too, though Haeun doesn’t look her way as she makes it to the stage.

“Having a famous sibling can be a challenge,” Chanhee starts off his next announcement. “It’s a lot to live up to, but this trainee showed that she’s more than just someone’s sister.”

“Is it Yeeun?” Jang Miyoung (FNC) whispers, sitting on one of the pyramid seats. Indeed an overlay shows that Yeeun’s last known ranking was #14.

“It could be Dohee too,” Chae Seulgi (WM) whispers back.

“WM’s Kim Dohee, come on up here!”

Dohee smiles her relief, the last of the WM trainees there.

“Wow, all of them made it in,” Seulrin whispers.

“And neither of us,” Jihee whispers back.

“It can’t be easy to compete in a program like this and not speak the native language,” Chanhee starts. “But this girl has proven that her experience and talents more than speak for herself. Showing a completely new side of herself is Sony Japan’s Amano Midori at #13!”

“The trainee at #12 received more than 500k votes,” Chanhee says. There are gasps from the remaining girls at the number. “Her skills were undeniable, they nearly eclipsed those of her team.” Chanhee snorts at his own joke. “It’s EM’s Han Moonae of course.”

“The next girl was brave enough to come here all on her own,” Chanhee says. “Without the support of any other label trainees.” The camera finds the most likely suspects, Min Hwari (previous rank #6), Lucy King (#5), Jung Gaeul (#2), and Ming Fen (#16) on a screen divided in 4. “She’s showed that she works hard and, even though she struggles, she pulls through. Woollim’s Ming Fen is #11!” Fen smiles and dazzling smile as she gets up to go onto the stage

“The trainee at #10 is a great dancer,” Chanhee says. “She was nicknamed Eagle Eyes for being uniquely observant during practices. You can’t hide your mistakes from Brand New Music’s Lexi Park.”

Lexi looks a little embarrassed by the title as she takes her spot, hiding her face behind her hands while the rest of the girls laugh.

“Haeun,” Chanhee says. “You’ve got a dramatic haircut since the last time I see you.”

“I did!” Haeun grins and flips her hair. “I’m sure it’s gonna be fine~” she sings the line from AOA’s Short Hair flawlessly.

What about you Midori?” Chanhee asks. “I hear you have something prepared for us.

Midori closes her eyes, takes a moment to gather herself, and starts speaking Korean. “I want to thanks my team,” It’s obviously from the way she glances to the side every now and then that’s she’s reciting memorized words but she’s doing well. “I would not be here with.. Eeeh.. without them. Thank you so much.” She bows deeply both at the girls still seated and the girls behind her. There’s a shot of Bitna smiling proudly. “And National Producers, thank you for giving me this chance to shine, I will use it show a different side of me next.” She smiles proudly for reciting her lines and the other girls cheer for her.
 


 

 

“So here we are,” Chanhee says. “Ready for the top 9. Do you have an idea who it will be yet? Were this the finale, all of these girls would be making their debut.”

“Let’s start with the #9, shall we? Are you girls ready? This trainee has been making a splash ever since the first Naekkoya performance. Her brightness and energy are infectuous, can you blame the National Producers for falling in love? At #9 with 640,456 votes is….. Starship's Im Mosu!”

Mosu’s face lights up and a thousand uwus launch nationwide at the sight. “That’s me,” she whispers.

“That’s you!” Seoyun confirms and gives her a tight hug. “Go up there!”

“Is there anything you’d like to say to the National Producers?” Chanhee asks when Mosu has made it to the stage.

“Aaaah! I’m so happy to be here!” Mosu is all smiles and energy. “I’ve wanted to go to Produce since the first season and it’s been amazing to be here and I’m so grateful for all the support! I will work hard to be the best happy virus of the season!” She holds out a big dramatic thumbs up. Produce 99 fighting!!”

“Go take your seat!” Chanhee grins.

“I will!!” Mosu grins back. “Thank you so so so much!” She runs up the steps as fast as she can, finding the first of the big pink chairs with the number 9 on it and sitting down with that grin firmly in place.
 

“The trainee who’s at #8 did very well in the Wee Woo team,” Chanhee starts, pausing to let that sink in.

“Sunisa?” Shin Taerin (KQ) asks. “Or Lucy?”

Sunisa is holding hands with the two Plan A trainees who remain, Jinri and Sunmi, reaching across Taeri’s empty chair.

Lucy has her hands over her eyes. “Oh, I can’t do this!” she says, splaying her fingers so she can just about look through them. “Just say it already!

“I heard that this girl is studying Korean diligently,” Chanhee continues. “Maybe we’ll get to hear her speak it soon! This trainee managed to get 648,321 votes! At #8 we have….. Helix Entertainment’s Lucy King!”

Lucy jumps up from her chair and runs to give Sunisa a big hug. “You’ll join me soon!” she says and run over to the podium. There she smiles as Chanhee hands her the microphone, looking a little self-conscious for the first time basically ever. She takes a deep breath. “National Producers…” she says in memorized Korean. “Thank you so much! I’m a loser who loves you!” She sings the chorus of Pentagon’s Shine. “I’m so happy for this…. This…. one sec.” she takes a piece of paper from her pocket. “Ok. I’m so happy for this opportunity, I love Korea so much and I’ve been away for way too long. Neomu neomu neomu thank you!” She does the Very Very Very dance to go along with it and gives a deep bow. “I’m feeling so Energetic!!”

Lucy quickly gives Taeyoung a hug before all but skipping up the steps to her big pink eat and sitting down with a grin so big it might just split her face.



 

“The trainee who is #7 was the leader of her team,” Chanhee hints, grinning as he leaves the dramatic break.

“Maybe this is Sunisa?” Taerin whispers again.

“Could be Hwang Jiho?” Girim whispers to Jinsil (MLD) next to her. “She was a leader.”

“Or Choi Bitna,” Jinsil whispers back. “Would she fall that far?”

“This trainee managed to get 648,087 votes! At #7 is Plan A’s Sunisa!”

Sunisa smiles in relief before the smile falters when she looks back at the other two Plan A girls she’s leaving behind. Jinri and Sunmi both envelop her in a hug. “It’s okay,” Sunmi says. “Go up there.”

There are tears in her eyes when she makes it to the podium but she sniffles once and holds it together. “I was so scared when I came to Korea,” Sunisa says. “I didn’t know if I’d be able to do this and I didn’t speak much Korean, it was all a crazy risk. I would not have been able to stand here if it weren’t for Taeri, Haneul, Sunmi, and Jinri.” The camera finds her other Plan A trainees, and Jinri is failing her fight to hold her tears, clinging to Sunmi, while Taeri and Haneul watch on with pride clear as day on their faces. “Thank you so much for this opportunity and for having faith in me and I’m going to so many more sides of me, look forward to it!” She makes a big heart with her arms. “I love you!!”

“It must take so much strength to come to a foreign country on your own,” Chanhee says. “I admire all of our foreign contestants for taking that leap and wish them good luck.”

Sunisa beams. “Thank you!”

When she’s seated, Chanmi turns towards the remaining girls again. “It’s time to announce our #6. This trainee has shown herself to be gracious and selfless and has risen the ranks sharply in the last few weeks. While her start may have been bump, CT’s Kim Yeeun showed the best side of herself this week, netting her 660,654 votes!”

Yeeun gives a small, strained smile as she gets up towards the podium. “Thank you for picking me,” she says. “And seeing the potential in me that I don’t always see myself. It has been really nice to see the other girls here with me and help them grow and I hope I can continue to do that, thank you.”
 

“And just like that, we have reached our top 5!” Chanhee continues when Yeeun has been seated. “The trainee at #5 received an impressive 664,357 amount of votes! She’s a girl who impressed the judges during her audition, but who had a rough time of it during the Naekkoya evaluations. She dropped from an A to and F, but picked herself up and kept trying, earning the support of her National Producers. It’s Cube’s Min Hwari!”

Hwari starts crying as soon as the words leave Chanhee’s mouth. Starship’s Seoyun, sitting only a few seats from her, quickly gets up and wraps her into a hug.”It’s okay sweetie.”

There’s a cut to Hwari on the stage, eyes still watering. “I’m sorry,” she says rather pitifully. “Thank you so much for voting for me, and thank you to my Mr Mr team for helping me.” She smiles a smile that looks almost comical with her trembling lip and wet cheeks. “I can’t believe we all made it! I’ll make you all proud, and I’ll make Cube proud, and I’ll make everyone who voted for me proud, I promise.” She bows as deep as she can, pink hair falling as a curtain past her face and flipping back up again. She dries her cheeks as she climbs up the stairs and takes her seat and laughs a little embarrassed as she does so, smiling despite her tears.
 

“This next trainee received a D in her first evaluation,” is the hint for the #4 position. “But that didn’t stop her from showing everything she’s capable of.”

Jiho smiles knowingly and Seulrin (Maroo)  laughs and points at her. “Look at unnie, she’s so ready.”

“But wasn’t Girim in D too?” Jihee asks.

“Oh, right. I forgot about her,” Seulrin whispers back.

“Nobody could predict that this girl could rise as much as she has,” Chanhee continues with a fond smile. “But she has seemed impossible not to love one way or another. Silly and fun off-stage and charismatic on-stage, is it any wonder this trainee inspired 760,159 people to vote for her? It is, of course, MLD’s Kwon Girim!”

Girim smiles, starting a hug train from her labelmate Ha Jinsil to the two girls who remain of her Hush team, Yemi (CT) and Sojin (MBK). Then she smiles more and makes it onto the stage.

“I haven’t gotten a lot of screen time so far,” Girim says. “But you still decided to vote for me anyway! I will work heart to become worthy of your votes and also of more screen time. Do you hear that Mnet?” Girim turns to another camera off to the side. “Keep those cameras on me because I’m going to be so entertaining! Do you hear me, Mnet?!”

Chanhee laughs. “I think they can hear you!”

“Are you sure? I have to be sure.”

“I’ll write them a memo just in case,” Chanhee assures her. “Your fancam has garnered a whole lot of attention nationwide, how do you feel about that?”

“It’s insane!” Girim says. “Isn’t it insane? Why?” She asks. “Why watch mine when you can watch Chaewon’s or Taeri’s or Hyemi’s? But thank, I’m really grateful for the attention.” She bows quickly and makes her way up the steps, pausing to hug both Chaerin and Yona, before sitting on the seat with an almost giddy look on her face.

“And now we have only 3 places left,” Chanhee says. “So of course I can’t just give these names away so easily, can I? It must be made as slow and painful as possible. So let’s start with announcing the three candidates for the #1 position!”

The three screens hanging behind him change, one by one, to focus on a girl. Bitna. Jiho. Gaeul.

“There is our center, SM Entertainment’s Jung Gaeul, who dazzled the National Producers with her performance at the head of Naekkoya,” Chanhee says. “Then there is independent trainee Choi Bitna, a trainee who is here for the second time after she was eliminated in season 1 and competed in Unpretty Rapstar to develop herself as an artist. Finally we have the long-time trainee Hwang Jiho who is now also independent and has shown off her impressive dancing and leadership skills and endeared herself to the nation.”

Jiho smiles a little nervously, eyes darting from the screen with her face on it to the camera point at her. Bitna just smiles with pride and Gaeul looks giddy.

“Choi Bitna, you’ve been center for weeks in a row now, do you think you’ve kept the position?” Chanhee asks.

“I’m really not certain,” Bitna answers. “All I can do is hope that I’ve convinced the National Producers that my talent is worthy of the position.”

“Which one do you think is the most threatening competition for your spot?”

“Gaeul unnie,” Bitna says immediately. “She’s very pretty and charismatic.”

Gaeul laughs sheepishly at that. “Aaah, I would love to be first place,” she says. “I’m really flattered that you think I’m the competition, but I really don’t think I deserve it this round.”

“How come?” Chanhee asks.

Gaeul’s smile washes off her face. “I made a big mistake in our group battle,” she says. “My team was relying on me and I wasn’t able to sing my part well. I’m really grateful that I’m ranked as high as third but I do not deserve to be on top.”

“How do you feel about possibly being #1, Hwang Jiho?”

“Oh, I’d never dreamed of it,” Jiho says. “Really, I hadn’t considered the possibility, I thought I’d be lucky to survive this round, I’m so shocked! I would be so happy to get third place.”

“Why don’t we find out?” Chanhee says. “I think I’ve stalled enough to make our overlords happy. Who will be the first place winner today? To find out, first we must see who will be #3. This trainee received a whooping 766,645 votes in total!” He pauses for effect while all three candidates are filmed as they #sweat to various degrees. “SM Entertainment’s Jung Gaeul!”

She smiles in relief as she climbs the stage and accepts the microphone from Chanhee. “Thank you so much for voting for me,” she says. “I’m going to work hard and show you a better side of me from now on. Look forward to me next challenge! I will work hard and improve myself and show you someone who is worthy to be on top, I promise!”

“What grade do you want to be next ranking?”

Gaeul smiles cheekily. “#1!”

She looks so happy as she climbs the stairs, stopping to hug Areum and Bada and Chiyo before she takes her seat.

“And now, for the final too, please both come to the stage Choi Bitna and Hwang Jiho!”

Bitna walks confidently while Jiho looks a little sheepish. They each stand on a little extra circular white platform, just to make it that much more special and extra.

“Choi Bitna, you’ve shown the nation time and time again how talented you are,” Chanhee says. “From Season 1 to Unpretty Rapstar and now back in Season 3! Have the National Producers rewarded you for your diligence? Hwang Jiho, despite your lack of singing skill you have endeared yourself to the nation with your dancing skills and ability to lead and adapt. Which of you is the #1?”

Chanhee looks down at his card. “Oh wow! The difference between the #2 and the #1 is so great! Whoever is #2 has received 768,089 votes, but whoever is this week’s #1 received 946,456 votes! That’s nuts! Sorry, ahem, professionalism right. SO!”

“The trainee who is this week’s #1….”

“Is….”

“Independent trainee Choi Bitna!”

Bitna’s eyes widen and her knees give way briefly before she rights herself and lets out the biggest most relieved breath. “Thank you so so much for voting for me. I’ve grown so much since I first appeared on season 1, I’ve become such a better person and it warms my heart to see how many people have supported me through my personal growth and continue to cheer me on! To be on this stage again and get another opportunity to shine is more than I deserve, thank you so much.” She bows deeply and smiles the widest smile anyone has seen her give yet.

Both girls ascend the stairs, with Jiho veering off to sit on the #2 seat and Bitna seating her on the huge pink monstrosity that is the #1 seat. She’s grinning as wide as will allow, looking almost childishly giddy despite the start black hair and winged eyeliner. She kicks her feet and smiles and smiles and smiles.

 

 

But back with Chanhee there is something much more serious to take care of. “But we’re not done yet, as I’m sure none of you have forgotten, we still have the very last spot to hand out.” The smiles on the faces of the girls still waiting to be called falter as nerves take their places again.  “There are 44 girls left who have not been called. One of them gets to survive and stay on the show. I will now call the four girls who have a chance of being #53.”

“CT Entertainment’s Lee Yujin,” Chanhee calls. “You impressed with your vocal during the Step performance, was it enough to keep you on the show?” Yujin nods tenseley and looks at the screen that is now displaying her face.

“Maroo Entertainment’s Gong Seulrin,” Chanhee calls. “You were the center of Like Ooh Ahh, did that win you enough votes to survive today?” Seulrin smiles a small hopeful smile.

“Urban Works’ Gong Sohyun,” Chanhee calls. “The audience thought you shone during Like Ooh Ahh, will the voters at home have the same opinion?” Sohyun lets out a tense breath.

“And finally MLD’s Ha Jinsil,” Chanhee calls. “You were the leader of the Rough team, will you be able to join your labelmates and advance to the next round?”

When all the girls have gathered, Chanhee continues. “Among these four, who will survive and claim the final seat? The girl who is at #53 and manages to stay in the competition….. Is…… Urban Works’ Gong Sohyun!”

Sohyun’s hands fly to cover , eyes already watering. She slowly gets up and stagger forward. Behind her Seulrin is crying and Jinsil just nods to herself and keeps her head high.

“How are you feeling?” Chanhee asks her gently.

“Like this isn’t real,” Sohyun answers.

“You jumped up 33 ranks since the last time,” he continues. “That’s astonishing, isn’t it?”

Sohyun nods. “I’m so grateful I get to stay here. I watched the show at home and I didn’t think there was any way I would survive but I did.”

Chanhee smiles. “You sure did, kiddo. Go take that seat.”

“Sohyun-chan!” Yuki comes hurrying down the stairs and hugs her tight. Sohyun laughs and cries and twirls Yuki around.

They break apart and Sohyun goes to take her seat at the very bottom, right next to her labelmate Moon Soomi, who reaches out to squeeze her hand. “We’re here,” she whispers.

“We are,” Sohyun whispers back.

“Sadly trainee #54 was Maroo’s Gong Seulrin, who will nut be joining us next round,” Chanhee says. Seulrin is still sobbing in her chair while Jihee is trying to comfort her. “You worked really hard but just about didn’t manage and I’m sorry for that. Remember what I said about perseverance and opportunities, your time will come if you don’t give up, okay?”

Seulrin nods through her tears.

“Today 53 trainee were selected by the National Producers to continue on,” Chanhee announces. “Congratulations to each of them, you’ve worked hard! Through our diligence, effort, and passion you’ve been able to capture the hearts of the viewers as people world-wide tune into the show. You’ve all become one step closer to your dream, and I hope you never lose that passion inside, okay?”

“Yes!” The trainees answer.

Choi Bitna stands up from her #1 chair. “Attention!” she says. “53 trainees bow to the National Producers.”

All of the trainees bow to the camera, including Chanhee at the front.

And just like that the very first ranking episode is over.

Vote for your girl! All the votes will now be reset You can vote for 9 girls once every day right here. 

National Producers, please select the best concept for your girls! In addition to voting for you stays in the program, you will also be voting for which concept evaluation song with be performed by which girls. Here’s a preview of the songs in question:

 

 

Happy voting!

 

 

 

here we are, almost half a cast lighter! did you expect these results? i didn't expect you guys to save any of the step girls but haneul and soomi are safe!

yoonbyul was removed as main character since the author never interacted with the fic so it's clearer to just eliminated her.

full ranking here, have fun with the new voting! voting right here and a link is on the front page too~

Also thanks for formidame for editing the video for me!

 

 ♡